PDA

View Full Version : Anderson returns tonight?

Glen Infante
02-26-2008, 09:30 AM
No link to source, heard it on WKNR. I'll seach for an article to post. This should be interesting tonight. I'm excited to see how the Double Fro's work together. Just in time for the Boston game too. :thumbup:

Glen Infante
02-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Roster change a familiar Cav

Varejao is due back from his ankle injury. How will he fit in now?

By Brian Windhorst
Beacon Journal sportswriter

Published on Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008

MILWAUKEE: Another day, another new addition for the Cavaliers.

The roster has been wildly fluid for the past week and it is probably going to remain chaotic tonight when the Cavs take on the Milwaukee Bucks. Unless there is an unforeseen setback in today's shootaround at the Bradley Center, Anderson Varejao is slated to make his return after missing a month to a sprained left ankle.

A few days ago, that would've seemed like a godsend for the Cavs, who were badly needing his activity and rebounding in the frontcourt. But now, after the talent influx in last week's trade, there's a question of just where Varejao will fit.

''It is going to go by feel,'' Cavs coach Mike Brown said. ''Part of this whole new deal is that it has to be a team effort. Someone is going to have to sacrifice for the betterment of the team.''

The Cavs' four big men, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Ben Wallace, Joe Smith and Varejao, are all used to playing more than 30 minutes.

Wallace and Smith were starters with the Chicago Bulls, so just having Smith moving to the bench has been an adjustment. And unless there's a bevy of overtime games, not everyone is going to be able to have his usual playing time.

Varejao is used to getting
heavy minutes, especially in the second half. More often than not, he's been in for the stretch runs because of his defense.

Now, Wallace is expected to be the Cavs' top-defending big man and just how Varejao will fit in will require some experimentation.

''This is not the first time this has happened,'' Brown said. ''Last year, there were times when guys didn't get the minutes they were able to play or thought they deserved. They are just going to have to stay ready.''

Both Wallace and Smith have made it clear they don't mind having their roles altered.

But for four years, Varejao's playing time has expanded, especially this season, as his offense has developed. He's averaging a career-high eight points a game.

The Cavs wouldn't mind reducing Ilgauskas' minutes as they prepare for the playoffs. He's had to play more than desired as the team has dealt with holdouts and injuries.

So it would be natural to give him more of a break, but he's also the team's second-leading scorer and he might be needed for his ability to score in the post and get offensive rebounds.

''I think my role is to come here and not worry about starting or minutes,'' Wallace said. ''Whatever it takes to win, I am all for it.''

James wins award again

For the third time this season and the 13th time in his career, LeBron James was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week on Monday. James averaged 28.8 points, 12.3 rebounds and 10.5 assists in four games.

He was the first player to average at least those numbers in four games since Wilt Chamberlain in 1968.

Nearing 10,000

James needs just 54 points to become the youngest player ever to reach 10,000 points. He would also be the second youngest player behind Oscar Robertson to reach 10,000 points, 2,500 rebounds and 2,000 assists.

Trade exception

It was totally glossed over with all the other big news, but the Cavs got something else in their big three-team trade last week.

The deal was actually a series of small trades lumped together, especially with the Chicago Bulls. One part was trading Cedric Simmons to the Bulls for a second-round draft pick.

Because it was built that way, the Cavs now have a $1.65 million trade exception they can use for the next year.

It can be used to trade for a player, but cannot be combined with other assets in a deal.

Brian Windhorst can be reached at bwindhor@thebeaconjournal.com. Read his blog at http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/cavs/.

MILWAUKEE: Another day, another new addition for the Cavaliers.

The roster has been wildly fluid for the past week and it is probably going to remain chaotic tonight when the Cavs take on the Milwaukee Bucks. Unless there is an unforeseen setback in today's shootaround at the Bradley Center, Anderson Varejao is slated to make his return after missing a month to a sprained left ankle.

A few days ago, that would've seemed like a godsend for the Cavs, who were badly needing his activity and rebounding in the frontcourt. But now, after the talent influx in last week's trade, there's a question of just where Varejao will fit.

''It is going to go by feel,'' Cavs coach Mike Brown said. ''Part of this whole new deal is that it has to be a team effort. Someone is going to have to sacrifice for the betterment of the team.''

The Cavs' four big men, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Ben Wallace, Joe Smith and Varejao, are all used to playing more than 30 minutes.

Wallace and Smith were starters with the Chicago Bulls, so just having Smith moving to the bench has been an adjustment. And unless there's a bevy of overtime games, not everyone is going to be able to have his usual playing time.

heavy minutes, especially in the second half. More often than not, he's been in for the stretch runs because of his defense.

Now, Wallace is expected to be the Cavs' top-defending big man and just how Varejao will fit in will require some experimentation.

''This is not the first time this has happened,'' Brown said. ''Last year, there were times when guys didn't get the minutes they were able to play or thought they deserved. They are just going to have to stay ready.''

Both Wallace and Smith have made it clear they don't mind having their roles altered.

But for four years, Varejao's playing time has expanded, especially this season, as his offense has developed. He's averaging a career-high eight points a game.

The Cavs wouldn't mind reducing Ilgauskas' minutes as they prepare for the playoffs. He's had to play more than desired as the team has dealt with holdouts and injuries.

So it would be natural to give him more of a break, but he's also the team's second-leading scorer and he might be needed for his ability to score in the post and get offensive rebounds.

''I think my role is to come here and not worry about starting or minutes,'' Wallace said. ''Whatever it takes to win, I am all for it.''

James wins award again

http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/15973312.html

chiefwahoo
02-26-2008, 09:36 AM
As usual, Branson Wright on top of this one :chuckles:

With guards Sasha Pavlovic and Daniel Gibson and forward Anderson Varejao still out, coach Mike Brown is not sure about his rotation. Brown said he is not sure when Varejao will return, but until he does, expect the same starting lineup as Sunday (guard Delonte West, forward Ben Wallace, guard Devin Brown, James and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas), with forward Wally Szczerbiak and forward/center Joe Smith as the first two off the bench.

CleveRocks
02-26-2008, 09:48 AM

You gotta love Big Ben for keeping it real. If he sticks with this attitude we can earn a rign this year.

Randolphkeys
02-26-2008, 10:41 AM
This is one of the most intriguing aspects of the trade: Anderson to play like a beast then opt out of his deal for big cash. The Cavs are now in a position of treating AV like an asset rather than an indispensable player. I certainly would like to keep him, but the next 20 games will tell us if we HAVE to keep him.

AV and a bunch of expiring deals could really land a tremendous player this offseason...

Splitz
02-26-2008, 10:54 AM
This is the only part of the trade that has me concerned. I would like to have Varejao in our long term plans within this organization. He is a high energy guy that looks great next to Lebron and he is still only (24 or 25?). Joe Smith and Ben Wallace are great and all but I have a hard time just letting Anderson fall into the cracks. I am relying on coach to juggle the playing time such that all 4 big men get decent minutes. He could go with Joe Smith in relief of Big Z more often so that Z can rest and the team won't lose the outside shooting touch since Joe is money with that jumper. Andy can spell Ben Wallace who I think would be better suited to play around 20-25 minutes a game rather than 30+. The exciting proposition about that is that we don't downgrade much with any of these substitutions. Andy is a very capable defender in his own right. It is a good thing that we won't have to play any of these guys for big minutes so that they will be prepared for a hard fought playoff run. I want to give Big Z more rest than in the past and this will allow us to do that.

bob2the2nd
02-26-2008, 10:59 AM
this trade exception is intriguing. if I am correct I believe the cavs now have two of them, each about 1.5 million. Sadly I dont think they can be combined but without a doubt I could see them worth something. I think they could probably trade them for draft picks.

moohead
02-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Z starts, but should get less minutes. His back needs a rest. Plus, he's usually not in the fourth quarter rotation anyway.

West, LeBron and Boobie would be the scorers. AV and Ben the defenders. In close games, Mike Brown goes defense first.

But we also have Wally, DJ and Joe to stick open shots, as well as Z.

Good headaches to have.

Obviously, Ben and Z start. But Z's minutes will drop.

Moo

kblade
02-26-2008, 11:15 AM
I would do like this

Z and ben start then both come out for

Joe and AV and then swap the pair out again later

Joe and Z are offensive
Ben and AV are defense
there is always balance on the frontcourt
Dwayne Jones can get some burn if AV is tierd or if we are up by alot.

Glen Infante
02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
I doubt Dwayne sniffs the court now that Anderson is back.

kookoo
02-26-2008, 11:23 AM
the real question is when the opponent is running down the lane would you rather see a charge or a block .

Houston Z33
02-26-2008, 11:33 AM
This is one of the most intriguing aspects of the trade: Anderson to play like a beast then opt out of his deal for big cash. The Cavs are now in a position of treating AV like an asset rather than an indispensable player. I certainly would like to keep him, but the next 20 games will tell us if we HAVE to keep him.

AV and a bunch of expiring deals could really land a tremendous player this offseason...

Hey, hey, hey, hey!!! - No more of this "Varejao Leaving" talk please.

Splitz
02-26-2008, 11:38 AM
I doubt Dwayne sniffs the court now that Anderson is back.

That should be music to our ears. :thumbup:

Krolik1157
02-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I worry about Gilbert falling in love with Wallace (he has been for a while) and declaring Andy disposable, as I really think he's an elite defender, actually is useful on offense (he's really explosive getting to the basket after setting a pick and has pretty good hands, can finish around the basket and draw fouls, and doesn't take dumb shots-we were significantly better offensively with him on the court than we were with Gooden.) Plus, he's much younger and cheaper than Wallace, even at this new price. I wouldn't move him in the off-season for anything less than an Arenas or another bona fide all-star who would make us immediate championship contenders. I still think Andy's our best big-as much as I love Z, Andy's even better and more versatile defensively, rebounds like he's been lit on fire, allows us to get out and run (a possibility with an actual NBA-quality point guard, and definitely a goal we should maintain in the future with our acquisitions-we do have quite possibly the best full-court player in the history of the league and all), and can make an offensive impact without having to take a bunch of 17-footers. (Z's 33rd among centers in True Shooting%.) If we ever do get a team that can continue to hang its hat on defense and rebounding while also having an offense that can get out in the open court and stretch the floor so that LeBron may fully blossom, Andy's an integral part of that team.

crazedcav333
02-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Ben should break out the Fro for this occasion!

chiefwahoo
02-26-2008, 11:45 AM
I worry about Gilbert falling in love with Wallace (he has been for a while) and declaring Andy disposable

:eek: When did Gilbert start making our personnel decisions?

Splitz
02-26-2008, 11:51 AM
7.8 PPG + 8.50 RPG in 28.5 mins at age of 25 > 5.2 PPG. + 8.2 RPG in 32.5 mins @ age of 33

Jon
02-26-2008, 12:01 PM
The problem with the trade is we got older in the front court. Z, Ben, and Joe are only going to be around so long. Andy could get traded with expirings for a big in his prime like Elton Brand, but otherwise we need to hang on to him until we can develop some replacements - or else we'll end up with a scrap heap front court.

Anyway, the old guys need the rest to keep their energy level high. Z was a monster coming back from the all-star break.

While Anderson certainly does deserve a crack at starting and Joe and Ben are used to playing together ... I kind of like pairing Wallace with Z and Andy with Joe. Andy gets by a lot on energy/hustle and could benefit from watching Ben and learning more technique. Like Ben, Andy is better suited playing PF, but he is used to playing C - and in fact has spent most of his time there. In smaller 2nd line up it really wouldn't matter so much. A lot of teams use two PFs.

I'm sure Mike Brown will close games with whatever group has been most effective.

Welcome back Andy!

Houston Z33
02-26-2008, 12:06 PM

I'm Mycah Leonhart and, I approve this message.

crazedcav333
02-26-2008, 12:06 PM
The guys will be fine. Yes, they need their rest, but all of their minutes are gonna go down from this trade. We have so much quality depth no one not named LeBron will ever be overspent.

Kypus
02-26-2008, 12:46 PM

What a great "problem" to have... our frontcourt is too #@$ good. :bigcry: :chuckles:

All the "Andy leaving" talk should just stop. Andy was *THE* key complementary player we needed to keep from the old group and Ferry did an excellent job negotiating for him 2 months ago. He's not going to all of a sudden give him up for older Joe Smith-types now.

The George
02-26-2008, 01:20 PM
wow I just thought about having Andy as a trading chip as well...

Elton brand could be a reality if we wanted him to be...Nice

I honestly love Andy and want to keep him but it should be interesting to see what happens this summer

Smooth
02-26-2008, 02:04 PM
I worry about Gilbert falling in love with Wallace (he has been for a while) and declaring Andy disposable, as I really think he's an elite defender, actually is useful on offense (he's really explosive getting to the basket after setting a pick and has pretty good hands, can finish around the basket and draw fouls, and doesn't take dumb shots-we were significantly better offensively with him on the court than we were with Gooden.) Plus, he's much younger and cheaper than Wallace, even at this new price. I wouldn't move him in the off-season for anything less than an Arenas or another bona fide all-star who would make us immediate championship contenders. I still think Andy's our best big-as much as I love Z, Andy's even better and more versatile defensively, rebounds like he's been lit on fire, allows us to get out and run (a possibility with an actual NBA-quality point guard, and definitely a goal we should maintain in the future with our acquisitions-we do have quite possibly the best full-court player in the history of the league and all), and can make an offensive impact without having to take a bunch of 17-footers. (Z's 33rd among centers in True Shooting%.) If we ever do get a team that can continue to hang its hat on defense and rebounding while also having an offense that can get out in the open court and stretch the floor so that LeBron may fully blossom, Andy's an integral part of that team.

I totally agree but all signs are pointing to Andy opting out after next year and trying to get a huge new contract... If he keeps playing like he is, it will likely be a 10 million or more per year type contract and I don't think that the Cavs or for that matter, any team is going to want to pay that much...

I really like Andy and all that he brings but I'm not sure I would be up for 10 million or more especially considering at that point it will likely be a finished product as Andy will be 27 before the beginning of the season and at this point, I really don't know I would pay him that much money, even though he'd be hitting his prime..

I don't know... Things could change before now and then, like him changing agents, but with his reaction to the trade and his contract dispute this summer, it seems like all he's concerned with is making money, opposed to winning...

Houston Z33
02-26-2008, 02:22 PM
If you hear Boo Hooing the day he leaves the Cavs.......you'll know who it is.

Benny08302
02-26-2008, 02:40 PM
the problem with Andy is that the minute the NBA messes with the blocking/charging rule, he becomes a mediocre defender. Don't get me wrong, he gives great energy, he hustles and rebounds great, but his defense isn't actually 'defense'... it's drawing charges (which, I might add is effective as hell and extremely useful). He's often in the right spot, but it's not like he's shutting guys down either.

My big worry is that the Cavs sign him to a 5-year, $45 million deal and a year into it the NBA changes up the rulebook in order to fight flopping. Varejao would go from 'kinda overpaid' to 'way overpaid' real quick.

PIP
02-26-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm not worried about AV.. Simple fact is LBJ is a big fan of AV's work..That's an endorsement AV has in the back pocket ...

Randolphkeys
02-26-2008, 03:07 PM
I totally agree but all signs are pointing to Andy opting out after next year and trying to get a huge new contract... If he keeps playing like he is, it will likely be a 10 million or more per year type contract and I don't think that the Cavs or for that matter, any team is going to want to pay that much...

I really like Andy and all that he brings but I'm not sure I would be up for 10 million or more especially considering at that point it will likely be a finished product as Andy will be 27 before the beginning of the season and at this point, I really don't know I would pay him that much money, even though he'd be hitting his prime..

I don't know... Things could change before now and then, like him changing agents, but with his reaction to the trade and his contract dispute this summer, it seems like all he's concerned with is making money, opposed to winning...

I heartily approve of this post. I was a Varejao fan before he was acquired by the Cavs. There are perhaps two or three players I would rather keep besides AV from a playing ability perspective. That said, Fegan straight up told the media that AV is going to opt out. I hated the whole situation and still do... but at least we have our butts covered on the short-term if AV and Fegan decide that the situation with Ferry is irreconsiliable.

Maximus
02-26-2008, 03:13 PM
the problem with Andy is that the minute the NBA messes with the blocking/charging rule, he becomes a mediocre defender. Don't get me wrong, he gives great energy, he hustles and rebounds great, but his defense isn't actually 'defense'... it's drawing charges (which, I might add is effective as hell and extremely useful). He's often in the right spot, but it's not like he's shutting guys down either.

My big worry is that the Cavs sign him to a 5-year, $45 million deal and a year into it the NBA changes up the rulebook in order to fight flopping. Varejao would go from 'kinda overpaid' to 'way overpaid' real quick.

Good point Benny.
Another big worry of mine is that between Andy's style of play, his surgically repaired shoulder and his propensity to turn his ankles makes him a big question when it comes to durability. He seems good for 20+ games missed per year.

04-05 - 28 games missed
05-06 - 34 games missed
06-07 - 1 game missed
07-08 - 34 games missed...and that's assuming he plays the remaining 26 games.

Houston Z33
02-26-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't wanna say it but part of me thinks the reason we got Big Ben is 'cause chances are this is Bizzy Bone's last year with the Cavs :(

chiefwahoo
02-26-2008, 03:17 PM
04-05 - 28 games missed
05-06 - 34 games missed
06-07 - 1 game missed
07-08 - 34 games missed...and that's assuming he plays the remaining 26 games.

So can we expect him to miss only one game next year as well, since it will also be a contract year? :chuckles:

Ourhouse
02-26-2008, 03:18 PM

Ben should break out the fro for every occasion.

Rick Astley
02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Ben should ditch the braids. It's holding him to be a great post player and to hit those long range bombs.

Z3PO
02-26-2008, 03:27 PM
I'd def like to see some Wallace/AV fros tonight.

Maximus
02-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Good thing Andy is back tonight...we are going to need another big. Z has the flu and is probably out.

Houston Z33
02-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Tonight's Game will be a good one

Smooth
02-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Good thing Andy is back tonight...we are going to need another big. Z has the flu and is probably out.

Hope Z gets better...

Who would you guys start?

I think I'd start, and will probably see, Ben Wallace and Joe Smith... We'll get another good look at them tonight, so that's good... Hopefully we can sustain the scoring we'll miss from the loss of Z...