PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts heading into the offseason

Wine and Gold
05-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Starting on the personnel level ...

To me, it's clear that Delonte and Boobie are looked at as longterm pieces here ...Mike Brown likes them. To fullfil their potential we'll need to , of course, start off with getting Mike Brown the offensive guru sitting mext to him on the bench. Now, whether they are starting pieces or bench is something that needs to be answered as time passes, and see where are other personnel decisions take us.

But, in terms of the young talent that we should try and secure for the long haul, they have to be considered inthat group ...I would have thought AV would have been held in the same regard, but, things changed with him when he made a bad professional decision ,,,and that was hiring Fegan as his agent. Now, we are in an uncomfortable situation with him, and I honestly think this off court decision has negatively effected the on court playing of AV.

That's just my personal take ...but, I now see AV as bieng a player that we would liely look to trade if the right situation does present itself.

Now, looking at our coaching staff, and in particular our assistant coaches ...

Mike Brown has had Hank Eghan as his right hand now for three years, and he's worked hand in hand with Mike Brown in successfully implementing their defensive philosophy into this team ....they've had great success in that regard, and have successfully taken a very raw defensive talent in Lebron James and developed him into a guy that very well could be a 1st team all defense player for the rest of his career ...something that was very much needed in his individual development early on in his career.

So, credit has to be given there.

Now, as you know, I have been very critical of how we have failed to get off step one in developing any sort of offensive identity or tapped into the wide array of talents Lebron can give a team both on and off the ball...

Now we need to start that phase, it's long overdue ...we gotta get that aspect rolling right now. The first step has to be finding a new right hand #1assistant to move into Hank's seat on the bench. An offensive guru much in the same realm as what Phil Jackson has had during his career.

It's a must. Mike Brown should stay as our head coach, simply because he's proven he can get these guys to play defense, and play it at a championship level ...as long as he is head coach we know we won't deteriorate on that side of the ball ...now, we need to find that special coach that can work with Mike Brown, has his faith and confidence ...and has the credentials that the players will buy into and respect enough to allow him to make the changes needed to get Lebron's offensive game rounded out, and developed into a multi-faceted entitiy ...One that can be effective on and off the ball, and one that is more developed and comfortable down low, as oppesed to always being out on the wing 25 ft frm the hoop.

It's something even Mike Brown knows is needed and has to be done, but, up til now ...it's more a personal issue with Lebron, him just not being comfortable and effective in that position down low and closer to the hoop. It's the aspects that he still has to grow and develop offensively ..in getting a more effective mid-range game, and low post game ...when he does that he will be finished off, and he will be the Michael Jordan type talent that can carry a team to championships every year ..

It took MJ about 5-6 years to get his game rounded to that point ... and get the right team surrounding him ...now we have to do the same thing ...he's getting really close and we, as a team ...on the coaching and supporting cast of players ..need to close the gaop that exists.

Now it's up to Gilbert/Ferry/Brown to make the right changes on the staff, with Lebron individually, and with the players surrounding him to finish off the puzzle ..we just gotta get those last handful of pieces into place ...it starts this offseason.

Doctor K
05-19-2008, 07:14 PM
So, W&G, is this going to be the most exciting off season in franchise history ?? :chuckles:

I joke...

gosk
05-19-2008, 07:16 PM
why does everyone feel boobie is some sort of untouchable asset of ours? don't get me wrong; i love me some boobie, but cmon. he's a nice complementary bench player now who may blossom into the bee's knees, but you wouldn't know it by the amount of time dood is nursing something.

gosk
05-19-2008, 07:18 PM
what's the square root of this thread

Wine and Gold
05-19-2008, 07:19 PM
So, W&G, is this going to be the most exciting off season in franchise history ?? :chuckles:

I joke...

LOL. I'll never make a statement of that nature ever again. I suspect that sentece will be inscribed on my tombstone someday ...

TyGuy
05-19-2008, 07:21 PM
LOL. I'll never make a statement of that nature ever again. I suspect that sentece will be inscribed on my tombstone someday ...Why don't we just bump that thread and paste off season 08 at the end of that title or would that be a jinx :confused:

Little Seizer
05-19-2008, 07:25 PM
why does everyone feel boobie is some sort of untouchable asset of ours? don't get me wrong; i love me some boobie, but cmon. he's a nice complementary bench player now who may blossom into the bee's knees, but you wouldn't know it by the amount of time dood is nursing something.

Because he is LeBron's best friend on the team.

RchfldCavRaised
05-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Im softening my stance on Mike Brown, provided he hops off his own wood and opens up to some offensive coaching.

Honestly, this could be the same spark that Chud brought my Browns last year.

The biggest offseason acquisition, will have to be made to the coaching staff. I say that because if it isnt made this offseason, then it wont be made for the entire season, as opposed to a deal for a player that could potentially happen anytime during the 82.

Any high regarded offensive mind, should welcome the opportunity to come into Cleveland and be attributed as the mastermind who finally put this team in a respectable position on offense.

Its not like we dont have any offensive weapons. We have potentially the most unstoppable offensive player in the NBA. If I was a coach with a knack for offense, and I had the choice of taking over a lottery team, or having LeBron and whoever may come back, at my offensive disposal... I take this gig and look like a genius, then sit back and wait for the next contender job to open up.

Thats my common sense plea to any credible offensive gurus out there.

Joe knows coaching carousels :D

RchfldCavRaised
05-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Disclaimer

My soft stance on Mike Brown is totally dependent on him getting offensive help and giving that offensive help the power and room to make an impact on that side of the ball.

Should MB not be open to help, or should MB click up with Hunt and Malone and form a girls club against the new offensive genius, then I return to my stance as a unabashed MB hater.

Splitz
05-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Im softening my stance on Mike Brown, provided he hops off his own wood and opens up to some offensive coaching.

Is there an over the counter pill that helps this occur or did you just eat more fiber? :thumbup: I have enjoyed fighting the good fight as a fellow member of the toast Browns buns crew with you but now you have gone marshmallow on me. The truth is that we have to deal with the fact that he is going to be with the organization and I really have no problem with that line of thinking based on the type of defense that we played in the playoffs. I was feeling a little suspect about it during the season but he proved to have the right stuff on that end of the floor yet again. I don't think he has what it takes whatsoever to get this team on the right track offensively which is why I hope Gilbert and Ferry make it real clear to him that we are gonna play this like football and bring in a offensive coordinator to take control of that end of the floor.

Disclaimer

My soft stance on Mike Brown is totally dependent on him getting offensive help and giving that offensive help the power and room to make an impact on that side of the ball.

Should MB not be open to help, or should MB click up with Hunt and Malone and form a girls club against the new offensive genius, then I return to my stance as a unabashed MB hater.

Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself! :D

RchfldCavRaised
05-19-2008, 07:51 PM
fellow member of the toast Browns buns crew

LOL

I could never turn my back on you Splitz. Many a night I only had you and Pip and I think Narls to stand outside the Q with me chanting and waving Fire Mike Brown signs.

Those nights meant everything to me.

Make no mistake though... I havent picked up a pair of Brownie Pom Poms.

Just saying...

I took me all of 24 hours exactly to reach this optimistic offseson state of mind, and my first olive branch is going to Mike Brown.

FOR NOW

Smooth
05-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Any names that you would like the Cavs to look at for the offensive assistant, W&G? Or any names that the Cavs have possibly checked into?

Pioneer10
05-19-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm really rooting for Boston to whoop the Pistons badly enough to get Flip fired. He'd be a perfect offensive assistant

TyGuy
05-19-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm really rooting for Boston to whoop the Pistons badly enough to get Flip fired. He'd be a perfect offensive assistantI think he has proved enough in this league to be beyond an assistant. I just don't see him taking a seat further down the bench.

Pioneer10
05-19-2008, 11:58 PM
I think he has proved enough in this league to be beyond an assistant. I just don't see him taking a seat further down the bench.
Oh he could get another gig I'm sure but being the offensive assistant on a title team would almost guarantee a prime gig the following year ;)

Jon
05-20-2008, 03:01 AM
LeBron doesn't have to play down low to be successful. We just need to put enough talent around him so the defense can't over load on him, and run an offense where he's getting the ball on the move.

Otherwise, I wish them luck finding an "offensive guru" with experience designing an offense around a team without a PG and where the only player who can finish reliably is the only player who can create reliably.

Joe Henderson
05-20-2008, 03:18 AM
W&G, how about the rest of the roster? i think the board is pretty much in agreement over Boobie and West, but there seem to be more questions about the frontline and especially the 2 spot.

Wine and Gold
05-20-2008, 08:46 AM
W&G, how about the rest of the roster? i think the board is pretty much in agreement over Boobie and West, but there seem to be more questions about the frontline and especially the 2 spot.

Z is the only "big" that is pretty much a lock to be on the roster next season ...all the rest have issues that could see them sent packing. I like Joe Smith ..I would hope we could keep him on board because I like his mid-range game. He helps us alot on the offensive end. We are likely stuck with Ben Wallace due to his contract, but if a trade senario comes up he could go in it. AV, I see him heading out this offseason in some form of trade scenario, that's just my gut feeling.

Joe Henderson
05-20-2008, 09:10 AM
I really don't mind seeing AV leave, but i worry about his value right now...

Lee
05-20-2008, 09:14 AM

When will we have a chance to trade him where his value is higher? He can opt out after this season and will.

Joe Henderson
05-20-2008, 09:44 AM
True dat. But if he plays well for a month, someone may take him on in the hopes of getting a foot in the door toward resigning him. Or as a hired gun for the playoffs. Well, a hired pogo stick, i mean.

Lee
05-20-2008, 10:04 AM
True dat. But if he plays well for a month, someone may take him on in the hopes of getting a foot in the door toward resigning him. Or as a hired gun for the playoffs. Well, a hired pogo stick, i mean.

or his dream of "being like mike" continues as he takes a stronger interest on the offensive side, showing Ben Wallace like offensive skills further deterorating his already tarnished value. Either way its a crap shoot.

Joe Henderson
05-20-2008, 11:07 AM
or his dream of "being like mike" continues as he takes a stronger interest on the offensive side, showing Ben Wallace like offensive skills further deterorating his already tarnished value. Either way its a crap shoot.

add to that the not negligible chance that he'll get hurt... alright, you have me on board. let's trade him asap. he can be a third of the proverbial

young talent + expiring contracts + draft pick

package that they demand for star players.

Lee
05-20-2008, 11:12 AM
add to that the not negligible chance that he'll get hurt... alright, you have me on board. let's trade him asap. he can be a third of the proverbial

young talent + expiring contracts + draft pick

package that they demand for star players.

Here becomes the problem now, for every point you mentioned, is he still considered enough of young talent, plus expirings, plus a future pick to get us the talent we need, or has he done enough damage to his reputation that we cant get what we need from him alone. Oh to have that magical crystal ball and know what the future of this offeseason holds.

Wine & Gold mentioned that his days here are numbered, but how much do we get in return? If he can be packaged to bring us a Redd, Brand or Miller, I will never speak poorly of AV again, lol

cav jvl
05-20-2008, 05:33 PM

what a difference a year makes

camakazee
05-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Any names that you would like the Cavs to look at for the offensive assistant, W&G? Or any names that the Cavs have possibly checked into?

What about Ettore Messina, the CSKA Moscow head coach? It's been brought up in the past since Brown spent time with him last year.

Euroleague powerhouse CSKA Moscow coach Ettore Messina, whom Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown considers a mentor, told Sports Illustrated that he has thought about coming to the NBA as an assistant coach with the goal of becoming a head coach someday.

Brown spent a week studying with Messina, known as an offensive mastermind, in Italy in September. Brown might have an opening for a lead assistant if veteran Hank Egan, who is recovering from heart surgery, decides to retire. Then again, the talk also could be an effort by Messina to get a rich new contract in Europe somewhere.
Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Euroleague-coach-wants-to-be-NBA-assistant-mayb?urn=nba%2C66085

The most intriguing news from my recent conversation with Messina is that he would be willing to become an NBA assistant for one or more years before seeking employment as a head coach.

"The season is different, the habits are different, even the basketball terminology is different in the Euroleague than it is in the NBA,'' Messina said. "There could be different ways to imagine the process of adjustment should a foreign coach come to the NBA -- it may be as an assistant for some time. I do not have a problem recognizing that an adjustment should be made.''
Source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/05/25/lewis.notes/1.html

Shakey
05-21-2008, 03:24 AM
Messina has signed a 1-year contract extension with CSKA