PDA

View Full Version : Cavs have started Snow's retirement process

B Mac
05-25-2008, 11:35 AM
The Cavs have already started the paperwork with the league office on getting Eric Snow approved for disability retirement. There are lots of hoops to jump through, but Snow says that his left knee is bone-on-bone, and that he's probably done.

If all the proper parties sign off, Snow's $7.3 million could be taken off the Cavs' books for luxury-tax purposes.

It is also possible that the NBA could grant the Cavs an exception of up to half of Snow's salary ($3.7 million) to use to sign another player or to use in a trade.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/19239174.html?page=2&c=y

Also in that article:

When Varejao came back, Wallace was the starter and was getting more clutch-time minutes. Varejao responded by trying to force his offensive game, which turned into a disaster. His shooting percentage plummeted, and his turnovers increased.

By the end of the season, Varejao was just plain frustrated and not at all happy, and he made it known.

Though he's still valuable, it wouldn't be a surprise if the Cavs test the trade market for Varejao this summer.

and

Many Cavs fans got upset at ESPN host Stephen A. Smith on Monday for guaranteeing on a broadcast that James would bolt for New York in two years.

In truth, Smith is close to members of James' inner circle.

It's possible that after the way the season ended, some around James would indeed think this way.

Many of them would benefit from James going to New York. But it will be James alone who makes the decision, and he will not make it until 2010. Speculation and conjecture between now and then is just that.

James has said for years that he is ''his own man,'' and this falls squarely in that category.

Rick Astley
05-25-2008, 11:38 AM
All I can say is, Eric Snow thanks...

cdt
05-25-2008, 11:41 AM
So..if he is physically unable to play the 7.3 would expire or soon expire. Either allowing us to trade it as a 7.3 expiring or just let it come off the books and possibly use it to re-sign Boobie and Delonte.

But we could also get a 3.7 million dollar exception that we could use in Free Agency or in a trade..hopefully we can get that just to make trades and everything else that much easier on us. Anything to allow us more flexibility this off-season is a definite plus.

Question: Do we still have another trade exception? I thought we had one before..did it expire or is it still around? Can it be paired with the 3.7 the NBA might give us? Or whats the deal with that. I could have swore we had a smaller Trade Exception though..

hype
05-25-2008, 11:49 AM
In truth, Smith is close to members of James' inner circle.

nobody likes this guy anyways. so who the hell cares what he thinks. you know who the inner circle people smith asked??? J-Z thats who, what the heck do u think he is going to say. D-wade told me lebron was going to the heat. smith is a moron who is righyt mybe 4 or 5% of the time. Guys on espn can't even stand this guy. mr. know it all who thinks he is always right. the guy is a loser.

midgetstilts
05-25-2008, 12:43 PM
so am i misunderstanding that if snow does "retire" through this process, while we won't have to pay the luxury tax on his salary, we also won't have the full 7 million to use in a trade? from what it reads like, it sounds like at best we'd get 3.7 million in an exception to use? I don't like this at all.

Not to mention if it's the Bulls offer that is causing this to be pushed through, I'm really gonna be annoyed.

Ren
05-25-2008, 12:53 PM
nobody likes this guy anyways. so who the hell cares what he thinks. you know who the inner circle people smith asked??? J-Z thats who, what the heck do u think he is going to say. D-wade told me lebron was going to the heat. smith is a moron who is righyt mybe 4 or 5% of the time. Guys on espn can't even stand this guy. mr. know it all who thinks he is always right. the guy is a loser.

Like hype said most of James's "inner circle" that don't live in Akron are probably celebrities that say he's going to NYC. "King of AK" says it all.

Brizzle
05-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Maybe he's a front runner for the Bulls job. His salary would be great in a trade but at least we might get 3.7 mill to balance off a trade. Not a total loss.

cdt
05-25-2008, 01:03 PM
If LeBron is bolting for NYC why is he building a huge customized house in Ohio? It's an ackward house built way too big for the property/neighborhood it's in..

LeBron is going to be the only owner of that house, it's likely to never sell unless it goes up for auction or a huge celebrity investor is a Cavs fan and buys it.

Mac
05-25-2008, 02:00 PM
I hate this...Snow's contract is a valuable trading asset. I wouldn't let him file for disability unless he has a coaching offer. The Bulls don't want him as a coach, they are just trying to make the Cavs lose one bargaining chip.

Dirk Gently
05-25-2008, 02:19 PM
In order for Snow to be traded he'd have to pass a physical right? If it's not possible for him to pass that physical, his expiring isn't worth anything to anyone other than the Cavs. Sounds like getting the exception and maybe bringing him in as an assistant coach are about all the Cavs can get from the situation. It sucks that injuries hurt the Cavs again, but it's really not that much of a surprise.

Ben
05-25-2008, 02:23 PM
In order for Snow to be traded he'd have to pass a physical right? If it's not possible for him to pass that physical, his expiring isn't worth anything to anyone other than the Cavs. Sounds like getting the exception and maybe bringing him in as an assistant coach are about all the Cavs can get from the situation. It sucks that injuries hurt the Cavs again, but it's really not that much of a surprise.

Teams can waive physicals.

Maximus
05-25-2008, 02:37 PM
I hate this...Snow's contract is a valuable trading asset. I wouldn't let him file for disability unless he has a coaching offer. The Bulls don't want him as a coach, they are just trying to make the Cavs lose one bargaining chip.

We are at 79M without counting West, Gibson, Devin or our draft pick. I'm sure people will also be clamoring for us to use our MLE and BAE. In the blink of an eye we will be well over 90M going into next season. Factor in the dollar for dollar luxury tax and I can see why they would do this. It could save Gilbert 15M. I know no one cares about Dan Gilbert's money, but he and management do. They have to maintain a little bit of fiscal responsibility....and not become the Knicks.

We will still have a lot of bargaining chips without Snow. Wally, Damon, Joe, Sasha and Andy combine for over 32M.

Joel
05-25-2008, 02:58 PM
We are at 79M without counting West, Gibson, Devin or our draft pick. I'm sure people will also be clamoring for us to use our MLE and BAE. In the blink of an eye we will be well over 90M going into next season. Factor in the dollar for dollar luxury tax and I can see why they would do this. It could save Gilbert 15M. I know no one cares about Dan Gilbert's money, but he and management do. They have to maintain a little bit of fiscal responsibility....and not become the Knicks.

We will still have a lot of bargaining chips without Snow. Wally, Damon, Joe, Sasha and Andy combine for over 32M.

Right - what Maximus said. It's all fun and games for us to spend Dan Gilbert's money on a message board, but as he mentioned we're already into luxury tax land even without Eric Snow's contract, and this is before we spend money to resign Delonte West and Daniel Gibson (and maybe Devin Brown.) You can hardly blame Dan Gilbert and Danny Ferry for signing off on this - for the sake of the long-term health of the franchise, they're right to pay attention to how much tax they will be paying.

Plus, as mentioned, I think this would make it at least a possibility that we would use the mid-level exception. I cannot imagine us using the MLE if we used Snow's contract in a trade - we would really be getting into steep luxury tax land there if we did both. So if you think of letting Snow's contract lapse as getting a trade exception and possibly the use of the MLE in return, then it's not so bad.

Splitz
05-25-2008, 03:40 PM
If LeBron is bolting for NYC why is he building a huge customized house in Ohio? It's an ackward house built way too big for the property/neighborhood it's in..

LeBron is going to be the only owner of that house, it's likely to never sell unless it goes up for auction or a huge celebrity investor is a Cavs fan and buys it.

Probably because he is from Ohio and would just keep the house in the event that he jumps ship. When his basketball career is over he would probably go back and live there full time and then have it for the off-season while he is still playing.

kblade
05-25-2008, 05:45 PM
could roughly 7 mill get delonte and boobie signed here this year in a muliti year deal. I imagine they are both worth about 3 million a year maybe 4.

Numbers Guy
05-25-2008, 06:00 PM
could roughly 7 mill get delonte and boobie signed here this year in a muliti year deal. I imagine they are both worth about 3 million a year maybe 4.

I would sign em for 2 years at about 2.5 mil each. I think we learned our lesson about over paying players.

Maximus
05-25-2008, 06:55 PM
I would sign em for 2 years at about 2.5 mil each. I think we learned our lesson about over paying players.

You and every other team in the league would sign them to that.

TruBuckeye22
05-25-2008, 07:54 PM
does anyone know what happens to his contract if he does sign on to be a coach somewhere in the league? would the Cavs still have to pay his salary if he is employeed by another team as a coach? or even if he became a Cavs assistant?

Lee
05-26-2008, 10:32 AM
does anyone know what happens to his contract if he does sign on to be a coach somewhere in the league? would the Cavs still have to pay his salary if he is employeed by another team as a coach? or even if he became a Cavs assistant?

No matter what happens next year, if he retires because of medical reasons, he will be paid by the insurance policy all teams take out on player contracts. His salary completely comes off the books which would help us tremendously with luxary tax, say what you want, Gilbert would rather not pay it if he doesnt have to. Plus, it looks like we get a 3.7 million dollar exception. That could be extremely valuable in picking up a player through the season making 4.7 or less. Wont get us a star, but that is what wally's contract is for.

The nice thing about an exception is you can trase straight up take the player. The other team does not have to take back anyone, so its a total salary dump...making it very valuable. It would be nice if we could get this done by the draft, as 3 mill plus taken back a player (even a semi usefull one) seems to be the price for buying a draft pick. Lots of temas will be dumping their late 1st or 2nd round picks if the price is right. This could be the right price.

If we had this exception last year, Bibby and Scola would be in cavs uniforms. At the time we didnt have a big enough exception to make the deal work. Scola seemed almost like a throw in, but he might prove to be a more valuable piece than bibby at this point in his career.

Mac
05-26-2008, 11:16 AM
If you take out Snow's contract, how much in expirings would we then have?

Maximus
05-26-2008, 11:28 AM
If you take out Snow's contract, how much in expirings would we then have?

Yesterday I came up with approx 32M if you count Sasha and Andy.

Wally 13M
Jones 4.5M
Smith 4.75M
Andy 5.8M
Sasha 4.5M

Mac
05-26-2008, 11:35 AM
I thought Andy and Sasha came up after next season?

Maximus
05-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I thought Andy and Sasha came up after next season?

Andy has an opt out and has indicated a desire to test FA.

I think only 500K of Sasha's is guaranteed...so it's pretty close to an expiring.

Jon
05-26-2008, 11:46 AM
We also have Billy Thomas and Lance Allred who have non-guaranteed contracts for next year. They're immediately expirings we can throw in to any deal. Maybe Dwayne Jones too?

Randolphkeys
05-27-2008, 01:57 PM
We also have Billy Thomas and Lance Allred who have non-guaranteed contracts for next year. They're immediately expirings we can throw in to any deal. Maybe Dwayne Jones too?

Yep. I see one or both of these guys become Trailblazers around draft time.

RuanuLaw
05-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Yep. I see one or both of these guys become Trailblazers around draft time.

I pray to Jesus that that happens. That would mean that we probably got OJ Mayo, or some other really good young talent.

AustinCarr
05-28-2008, 10:10 AM
I pray to Jesus that that happens. That would mean that we probably got OJ Mayo, or some other really good young talent.

I think he means in exchange for one of their second rounders, not a lotto pick.

DeeThree
05-28-2008, 11:56 AM

:chuckles: