PDA

View Full Version : Time to Give the Cavs Some Credit

cescott
06-10-2008, 05:25 AM
http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/19706219.html

"There are a couple of things to glean from the two-games-old NBA Finals.
the Cavs will be the only team to really give the Celtics a scare into the final minutes of Game 7 in the playoffs.

Perhaps it's time to give the Cavs a little more ''due'' than they're getting."

ChicagoCavFan
06-10-2008, 08:42 AM
The Celts D is way better than I thought. Have to give Doc credit - managing all of the new pieces and getting them motivated to play defense like that is solid.

Bob Loblaw
06-10-2008, 08:48 AM
There's a pretty good chance of LA winning the next 3 at home. Boston is just a different team on the road.

CzBoobie
06-10-2008, 09:17 AM
It looks like two years ago when everybody was too quick to hand the Mavs the trophy after first two games...

I would be glad if Boston wins and the Cavs prove to be their toughest competition but it's highly premature at this point.

Douglar
06-10-2008, 09:20 AM
The Celts D is way better than I thought. Have to give Doc credit - managing all of the new pieces and getting them motivated to play defense like that is solid.

It isn't Doc that's doing their defense--It's Tom Thibodeau.

Soda
06-10-2008, 10:41 AM
As much as I would love to say it, Its too early to speak on it. No doubt we gave them a great fight and the best so far, but that is not including the finals...yet. Believe me I have many people at my school so happy to see the Cavs lose and as much as I want to say something I must wait.

cescott
06-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Agreed with all of the above....it is premature to assume anything at this point and the Lakers could totally turn this thing around on their court. However, except for one game in Boston, the Cavs held their own in the losses. The same thing can't be said for the other teams that have played against the Celtics this postseason.

SixStringAxis
06-10-2008, 10:45 AM
We should be in the finals no question. If any one of Gibson, Varejao, Sasha are healthy in the 2nd half of game 7 we win. If Lebron forces a few more drives in game 1 rather than jacking up 18 jumpers we win.

I am definitely excited to see the Celtics D playing well. We never really got to see how good our D was in the regular season and based off how the Celtics D is playing you have to say our D(and team) is much better now than it was against the Spurs.

samtheman67
06-10-2008, 10:54 AM
This celtics team is (how is this possible) a even better rotating team then the spurs of last year, they are the real deal. Do you see the difficulty of kobe bryants shots?? fadeaway off balance 2 hands in his face. If he makes them you lose because they are so difficult, but he got to the basket a total of one or two times the whole game. I honestly think we would beat the lakers in the finals (if we shut gasol down offensively).

The problem with the lakers is when odom is playing bad(aka everytime he doesnt have a mismatch) Gasol suffers from it and Kobe feels he has to carry his team and jack up terrible shots and ruin the rhythm. Kobe knows how to take over a game but he still seems to be struggling in these early two games on how to manage a game...

Rick Astley
06-10-2008, 11:03 AM
It looks like two years ago when everybody was too quick to hand the Mavs the trophy after first two games...

Forget it. Kobe is not getting Wade treatment and there's too much firepower in Boston. If one chokes then 2 (not including the bench) will step up.

Still, I don't give a shit about either team. They can share the trophy and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

I would be glad if Boston wins and the Cavs prove to be their toughest competition but it's highly premature at this point.

I agree with this.

Especially on how bad our offense is and how we lack real and consistent talent, we still manage to give them hell.

Jon
06-10-2008, 11:43 AM
The thing about the Spurs is they play more like an eastern conference team than a western. Until a team other than the Spurs or a team from the east wins the finals, I'd say the juries still out on western conference up-tempo finesse style ball.

But yes, a lot can change with home-court and LA can certainly make this a series again by finding their stride at home and getting more calls.

The Cavs definitely do deserve credit, maybe just maybe they'll see some value in playing well during the regular season, using their bench, and earning home court.

samtheman67
06-10-2008, 11:47 AM
The thing about the Spurs is they play more like an eastern conference team than a western. Until a team other than the Spurs or a team from the east wins the finals, I'd say the juries still out on western conference up-tempo finesse style ball.

But yes, a lot can change with home-court and LA can certainly make this a series again by finding their stride at home and getting more calls.

The Cavs definitely do deserve credit, maybe just maybe they'll see some value in playing well during the regular season, using their bench, and earning home court.
Would you agree if the lakers drop one in LA its oveR?

World B ThAreee
06-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Kobe isn't getting D-Wade treatment until they hit the Staples Center. This thing is going 7 games, no question. And once it does, the conspiracy theorists will have even more fodder for their argument. Allen, Garnett, and Gasol joining the "rivalry" (the latter coming over in the shadiest deal of the last decade) and all of the sudden they have a Finals that is infinitely more marketable than last year's. They can't have this end in less than 6 games.

samtheman67
06-10-2008, 03:15 PM
It wont happen but another sweep in the finals would be devastating for the "rivalry"

ZooCrewDude
06-10-2008, 03:35 PM
I know this is backwards but here goes..... even though the Celtics winning makes us look better; the more I watch this series the more I start wanting the Lakers to win. I really don't care for either team, but that Boston series (and Boston sports/fans in general) rub me the wrong way to the point that I don't care if we look worse and the Celtics lose. Anyone behind me on this?

To be honest, WHO CARES if we look like 'the toughest competition' the Celtics faced in the playoffs? WE LOST. Our guys are watching at home and their guys are playing for the chance to be champs. I just threw up a little.

macbdog
06-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Anyone else notice the repeated references to Boston's 'magical healing department' in the thread? Guess Brian wasn't too enthralled with the Celtics shooting Pierce up with pain killers in the middle of a game.

Jon
06-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Would you agree if the lakers drop one in LA its oveR?

Heh, you couldn't get me to say it was over when we were down 3-0 to the Spurs, but yes obviously Boston's goal is to come away from LA with a win and they'll be in great shape.

The Celts were dominant against the Hawks in Boston, but couldn't win a single game in Atlanta. I think you still have to wonder about all their bumps and bruises too and whether it'll catch up with them.

In fact if the series had started in LA, I bet the media would be talking about how LA is too young and too fast for the Celts rather than about how the Lakers can't solve the Celt's D.

It's the NBA. You've got to expect a roller-coaster ride through a series.

Houston Z33
06-11-2008, 02:23 AM
I honestly don't care about the finals this year, we're not in them.

My Basketball Season ends when my team's ends.

fearthehawk47
06-11-2008, 02:35 AM
It also hurts to see one of the teams that beat us in the Finals, so yeah, these finals are ruined for me as well.

redscoon
06-11-2008, 02:46 AM
A title was within reach this year. The Cavs could take the Lakers in a series since they start Fisher at point rather than a quick guard like Parker that we couldn't contain. LA has been rattled by the tough Boston D and the Cavs would have had plenty of physical bigs to unsettle Gasol who has been Gasoft for extended stretches.

All the what ifs created by this series are making it hard to watch.

Houston Z33
06-11-2008, 02:53 AM
We seriously would have had a chance vs. The Lakers.

And since in Houston all the "Basketball Fans" come out at the end of the season, I now see what everyone means when they say we don't get ANY credit for our skill.

cav jvl
06-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Having Lebron and playing tough defense always gives us a good chance against anybody. All it took in games 1 and/or 7 against Boston was to hit an open shot or two down the stretch and it is the Cavs playing right now. Boston plays well at home partly because they can hack at will and the refs don't call it....every series has been this way.