PDA

View Full Version : Diop to Sign with Mavs

ChicagoCavFan
08-18-2005, 08:40 AM
New York Post (registration required): " Knicks are out of the running for 7-foot free agent Cav center DeSagana Diop, as he will sign with Dallas, according to agent Leon Rose. A source said it was a three-year deal at about $1.9M per."

http://prosportsdaily.com/nba/nbarumors.html

LyXo
08-18-2005, 08:43 AM
:gomavs:
:D

ChicagoCavFan
08-18-2005, 08:46 AM
Blurbs from hoopshype:

"The Mavericks remain leading contenders for free agent center DaSagana Diop, in part because they can offer about $2 million from their mid-level exception. Most teams are offering just the $1.67 million biannual exception." Dallas Morning News

"The Knicks remain optimistic that they will sign either free agent James Jones or DeSagana Diop to their $1.8 million exception. Jones, a 6-foot-8 small forward who completed his second season with the Pacers, is being courted by both San Antonio and Detroit. Even if Jones decides to sign with the Knicks, there is a strong possibility that Indiana will match the offer." New York Daily News

"Cleveland, however, cannot match any offer for Diop, a 7-foot center who has been a major disappointment since being selected eighth overall by the Cavs in 2001. But the Knicks believe that Diop can be a valuable backup to Jerome James, particularly at a bargain-basement price. The Mavs are also pursuing Diop." New York Daily News

KI4MVP
08-18-2005, 08:51 AM
http://www.prince.org/i/s/icon_falloff.gif

especially funny after reading this from Mark Cuban earlier this morning

http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000823054644

B Mac
08-18-2005, 11:59 AM
I wish I was 7 feet so I could get money for doing nothing.

Wine and Gold
08-18-2005, 12:22 PM
It just thoroughly dumbfounds me that Diop could still get a contract like this from an NBA team. How he could get a contract of the value of what Tractor Traylor will likely get ....and Tractor is better in every facet of the game than Diop likely will ever be .... He's just BAD ....and doesn't even work at all to improve his game. For a guy that doesn't even care if he plays or not ...It's just nuts ... To me, as an NBA player he is simply laughable.

TruBuckeye22
08-18-2005, 12:26 PM
here is a question. if you are James Jones and the Spurs and Pistons are after you why would you even consider the Knicks???

CleveRocks
08-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Diop will outperform Pavel the Giant, Mbenga and Shawn Bradley.. And he costs about the same as Pavel, and half of Shawn Bradley.. What sucks is that we will get nothing for him.

TrueCavsFan23
08-18-2005, 02:05 PM
bradley retired and pavel never played last year so i dunno what pavel can do.I still think diop can be developed into a solid player but we had no time to wait for him.

cdt
08-18-2005, 02:47 PM
This ranks about a 1.7 out of a possible 10 on the I Give A Shit Meter, this guy rode pine for 4 years, more fouls then points or minutes, and still gets 2 million per..I'm 5 10 I can do a better job then him..

Imagine the contract Diop could score if he could actually contribute.

Diop will outperform Pavel the Giant, Mbenga and Shawn Bradley.. And he costs about the same as Pavel, and half of Shawn Bradley..
All Pavel and Mbenga will have to do to outperform Diop is sit on the bench.

What sucks is that we will get nothing for him.
Well we have got nothing from him in 4 years, so why change.

wildthing17
08-18-2005, 05:44 PM
im not surpised to see that cuban signed diop, hes made dumb moves before

NarlCavs
08-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Unbelievable if Diop does get a contract like this. Imagine if he would have made any contribution during the past 4 years.
Not sure why Dallas would sign him. Pavel and Mbenga have more potential than Diop. Pavel at least showed a little skill before he was drafted as a shooter and passer from the C position while Mbenga performed solidly during summer league unlike Diop who was terrible every time he played for the Cavs summer league team.

Dungong
08-18-2005, 06:40 PM
makes me wish I was 7 feet tall and fat...

go dallas, you have a guy who does some good community stuff, just make sure he doesn't see any court time unless the score is 20 points in favor of one team or the other.

I personally think Dallas is just trying to add to its international flavor, i mean, they can't possible see any skill here, right? He has had over four seasons, one third of a season where he played as a decent backup for about 8 mins/game

Slim Sheedy
08-18-2005, 06:54 PM
well i wish Diop the best of luck, hopefully he can turn his career around...

DDJ7777
08-18-2005, 10:31 PM
haha, damn my parents for not being giants. I want 2 mil per to pick my nose and watch games from the best seat in the house.

Dallas Lands Diop
18th August, 2005 - 11:44 pm

Fort Worth Star-Telegram - The Mavericks will virtually complete their off-season work Friday when they sign center DeSagana Diop and swingman Doug Christie to free agent contracts.

Both players will be introduced at a news conference at 10:30 today at American Airlines Center.

Diop, 7-0, 300 pounds, is an unrestricted free agent, who spent his first four seasons with the Cleveland Cavaliers . He will sign a three-year deal with the Mavericks on Friday morning.

Mavs coach Avery Johnson is estactic that he finally knows who will back up starting center Erick Dampier this season.

“We feel Diop is a mobile center, he’s in great shape right now, he’s been in the league for four years, and we think he’s ready to just take off.’’ Johnson said. “A couple of years ago I probably wouldn’t have done this deal.

“But he came in, I worked him out personally, I evaluated him personally, and he looks to be ready to make a move in his career right now.’’

Diop was the eighth overall pick of the 2001 NBA Draft out of Oak Hill (Va.) Academy. But in 193 career games with the Cavs, he developed slowly and averaged just 1.6 points and 2.6 rebounds in only 10.8 minutes.

Now, Diop will be asked to replace Shawn Bradley, who is in the process of working on a retirement package with the Mavs.

Joke Of the Year (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/37062/20050818/dallas_lands_diop/)

Has Cuban being hanging out with Isiah a bit this summer?

KI4MVP
08-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Here is a list of the least efficient players in the NBA for the last 5 seasons. i.e. each player's combined efficiency for the 5 year period

http://www.basketball-reference.com/labs/apbr.cgi?franch=All&first=2000&last=2005&combine=Yes&minage=0&maxage=99&stat=ORtg&min=2000&sort=asc&limit=100&submit=View+Stats

1. DeSagana Diop
http://www.prince.org/i/s/icon_falloff.gif

cdt
08-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Yeah I could really care less about Diop wish he woulda went to the Knicks to make them even worse off.

Pioneer10
08-19-2005, 01:41 AM
Why would anyone give Diop a three year deal? I hope for Dallas that all those years aren't guarenteed. Are they planning to use his contract as a way to make salaries work in the future if they go after a guy like Pierce? Just don't get it.

E-Light
08-19-2005, 02:39 AM
Why would anyone give Diop a three year deal?

Diop is at least a three year project, that's why. Giving diop a one year deal is just a waste, he's a project, a project that will take lots of time to complete, if ever.

It should not take 3 years to realise he is a chump!

highplainsdrifter
08-19-2005, 02:38 PM
im glad we dumped his dead weight from the roster! I wish him well, but I doubt he will ever play meaningful minutes for an NBA team.

West Remy
08-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Click Me! (http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/12435441.htm)

TALKIN' CAVS

Diop deal a stunner

• I'm still in need of smelling salts after hearing that DeSagana Diop agreed to a three-year, $6.8 million deal with the Dallas Mavericks. I was told that the third year wasn't guaranteed. Fine. I'm amazed that two months are guaranteed.

• Suppose you are Dallas. Suppose you know that Cleveland needs a backup center, which is no secret since the Cavaliers have talked to free agents such as Dale Davis and Jahidi White. You know that the Cavaliers have zero interest in the 7-foot Diop. So why give him a multi-year deal? And who else was silly enough to be bidding on a player who has done virtually nothing in his four-year career? Last season, Diop was 20-of-69 (29 percent) from the field and 0-of-5 at the foul line.

• Here's the pattern with Diop. He gets in somewhat OK shape in the summer. He works reasonably hard. He's a very nice young man. His coach thinks maybe Diop will become a viable player. By mid-season, Diop is at the end of the bench.

• While Diop had another forgettable summer-league performance, he then went to a summer-league camp run by veteran assistant Tim Grgurich, and it was there he impressed some teams. The New York Knicks and Seattle SuperSonics supposedly had an interest. Diop is more likely to look good in drills than he will in actual game conditions.

• Diop's problem is he has zero feel for the game. He barely shot above 30 percent from the field in three years of summer-league action. He's from Senegal, and played only two years of basketball at Oak Hill Academy in Virginia before the Cavaliers made him a lottery pick in 2001, No. 8 overall.

• Before the 2001 draft, I had a conversation with former Cavaliers general manager Jim Paxson about the high school players available. I mentioned that I had seen Diop score only 11 points against St. Vincent-St. Mary, and how Sian Cotton pushed him around. I said he'd be lucky to start in the Big Ten, much less play in the NBA.

• Paxson quietly said the Cavaliers were considering him because Zydrunas Ilgauskas was a real question mark as he was still out with a major foot injury. Paxson said the Cavaliers needed size. In the NBA, that kind of thinking leads to mistakes -- a panic to get a big guy, any 7-footer who is breathing.

• Under new general manager Danny Ferry, the Cavaliers have their own Big Man Experiment beginning. His name is Martyns Andriuskevicius, drafted in the second round. He's only 19. He's 7-foot-2, and listed at 240 pounds. He's probably closer to 200. He's very skinny, very raw. It's believed the Cavaliers will soon sign him to a multi-year deal, and spend time working on his strength. He also might play in the NBA Developmental League, which is the NBA's minor league.

• Who knows if Andriuskevicius can play. He's so young. But he's all they have to show for the first-round pick traded by Paxson to the Boston Celtics for Jiri Welsch. Ferry later moved Welsch to Orlando for the second-rounder that became Andriuskevicius.

• Some fans have suggested the Cavaliers sign free-agent point guard Brevin Knight, but he's expected to return to Charlotte. He started for the Bobcats last season.

• For all the talk about the possibility of trading Eric Snow, the question lingers, "If the Cavaliers don't have him, who plays point guard?'' If they deal Snow, they will have to get back a player making about $6 million to cover Snow's contract for salary-cap purposes.

• It appears Robert "Tractor'' Traylor will sign a $1.6 million deal with the New Jersey Nets. I still wish the Cavaliers had picked up his $1.7 million option.

• The Cavaliers still like Damon Jones but it appears he is waiting to see what the Miami Heat will do. The Heat have an interest in Michael Finley. If Miami signs Finley, that increases the Cavaliers' chances of getting Jones.

LyXo
08-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Funny Read. (http://www.themightymjd.com/articles/nba20032004/nba02.htm)

November 14, 2003, 2003 - ©MJD
Diop Step

I'm a DeSagana Diop fan. He's from Senegal, his nickname is "Gana" and he's been called a flyswatter. It doesn't get much more African than that.

Since he was drafted at #7 overall straight out of high school by the Cavaliers, Diop has been doing a terrific impression of Bryant Reeves or Olden Polynice. But he's been coming on of late, and is threatening to become a substantial part of the LeBron era in Cleveland.

Gana spent his summer working on little other than the timing and footwork involved in blocking shots. It's paying off. Maybe not enough to justify drafting him ahead of Richard Jefferson, Troy Murphy, or Tony Parker, but hey... the next three picks were Rodney White, Joe Johnson and Kedrick Brown, so it could've been worse.

Cleveland's scoring is going to come from outside with Ricky Davis, Darius Miles, and LeBron James. and when Gana's on the floor, their interior defense becomes pretty solid as well. Gana averages 2 and a half blocks a game, which puts him in the top 15 of the league. That's impressive enough by itself, but he's doing it in 16 minutes per game.

He also had an 8-point 4th quarter recently against Jermaine O'Neal. He's been stealing 4th quarter minutes from Zydrunas Ilgauskas, and as LeBron, D-Miles, and Davis get more comfortable with each other, Z's offense becomes less and less important. Diop's minutes are going to continue increasing.

Pioneer10
08-22-2005, 03:18 PM
the next three picks were Rodney White, Joe Johnson and Kedrick Brown, so it could've been worse.

LOL - real insightful article. This would have kept Diop instead of Johnson

LyXo
08-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Note that this was in 2003, before JJ had his breakout year. When Phoenix was still a lottery team and JJ couldn't do much, even with Amare and Marion.

Kypus
08-22-2005, 05:17 PM
^^^:chuckles: In this case, hindsight is funny/funny.

Cuban is building his Giant Freaks of Nature Hall of Fame: Diop, Mbenga, Pavel the Giant. And retired Shawn Bradley smiling off to the side in holographic form. :thumbup:

Taiter
08-22-2005, 06:36 PM
I remember a lot of people - in fact most people - really pushing the drafting of JJ at the time. Everyone was pretty surprised when Diop was picked, Terry Pluto among them... his line on Diop has really never changed.

E-Light
08-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Posted August 23, 2005 12:00 AM
http://clevelandcavs.blogspot.com/

One man's trash...
As Terry Pluto describes today in his View from Pluto, there's a general bewilderment over the three-year, nearly $7 million contract DeSagana Diop got from the Mavericks last week.

I guess "Gana" had a good camp in Las Vegas and actually had teams bidding over his services. The whole "you can't teach size" idioms are all applicable here. Personally, I'm happy for Gana, who is continuing the long-standing tradition of redispersing Mark Cuban's wealth. Although after Cuban's heartfelt explanation of why he cut Michael Finley because his days of overspending are over on his blog, this deal still confuses me. But it's still just ridiculous.

Last season I read a book about Sebastian Telfair called "The Jump." In there was a few pages on Diop. It was about how when he was a senior at Oak Hill Academy, then UNC coach Brian Doherty was begging for him to come play with him for a year and brought him a listing of the rookie salary scale. He was trying to show him that if he played one year in college, he could double his money. Boy, did that backfire, once Diop saw that he could make $3 million even if he was the last pick in the first round, he decided there was no way he was going to school. This even though he couldn't make a left-handed layup.

When Gana was at Oak Hill I went down there for a few days to do a story because LeBron James and St. Vincent-St. Mary were playing his team at that time. I interviewed him and watched them play two games and decided he was a circus act because all he'd do was stay at the defensive end and block shots and I was no scout. I saw Shargari Alleyne play in high school and thought he was more skilled and he's now a bench warmer at UK. Still, the Cavs fell all over themselves to take him at No. 8.

I brought all this up to Diop before a game in Philadelphia last season. He smiled and admitted it was all true, he knew he was really raw but didn't care. Actually, he said he thought he should've been drafted higher. He also told me he didn't really care about the Cavs and not playing because he knew he'd be in the league somewhere next year and getting paid. He was right, after all.

I've been keeping my eye on the Cavaliers while vacationing in Maine and Boston last week. This week, I've been covering the NEC Invitational in Akron. The Cavs are waiting to hear on Damon Jones and considering I think Finley is going to Miami, there's a good chance they're going to get him.

Next week I'm completing a suspended journey. Many of you got a hardy chuckle out of my travel difficulties I talked about on this blog last season. But they don't compare to a failed trip I took in May of 2004.

Helping my friend move from Toledo to Denver, which constituted driving a 1998 Chevy Blazer while towing a Uhaul trailer. We had a grand tour planned, crossing there on I-70, dropping off his stuff, then returning to native Akron via I-90 though the Dakotas with a stop at Mt. Rushmore before dropping off the car, which belonged to his father.

Well, things went a little haywire to say the least. On day two, a Friday afternoon, we blew the engine in Manhattan, Kan. When we tried to get a hotel room, we learned it was Kansas State University graduation weekend. We ended up renting a car and driving 30 miles to get a room. The next day we learned we'd either wait a week for a new engine or buy a new car.

We tried to get a full size Uhaul, but in a small college town at the end of term the one-way rentals were taken, needless to say. Well, the car stayed in Kansas and we somehow got to Denver but were never able to finish the trip because we flew home. There are many more details, but I will spare them.

Anyway, I'm off this week to Denver and we're headed across the north to finish the job. Should be enjoyable...gulp...I think.

Take care,
Brian
bwindhor@thebeaconjournal.com

Randolphkeys
08-23-2005, 01:07 AM
Brian Windhorst needs to look up the definition of an idiom, but I digress from being a grammar geek... nice to hear Diop is in on the joke. Can't you just hear the Chappelle tagline after Diop finishes his confession: "I'm rich, beeeeatch!" honk-honk

:chuckles:

After reading that article are there any remaining Diop sympathetics? I hope not. He is the face of whats wrong in the NBA.

cdt
08-23-2005, 04:20 AM
Gana doesnt care about basketball he just wants his money, its easier to stand at the one end and shove people go back sit down on the nice comfy bench, get a nice cup of gatorade a fluffy white towel and get a courtside seat of a real nba game. I wish I could get paid for sitting mingling and practicing with the Cavs :(

KI4MVP
08-23-2005, 09:38 AM
The story I head about Diop was a little different. I may be slightly off on a detail or two because it was a year ago that I read this, but the general story is as follows. First of all, he didn't start in HS, but some new assistant (at UNC I think) saw him play in HS once and convinced the new head coach to offer him a scholarship before he actually saw him play. Then they had him come the the university to work out for them and they told him he wouldn't start, but if he worked hard, he might start by his senior year. Since that turned out to be the year UNC won the championship with May, it seems doubtful Diop would have started then. Diop went home, hired and agent and declared for the NBA draft.

He was told flat out he wasn't good enough to start in college so instead declared for the draft. He went to one predraft workout where they didn't do any offensive testing and made a good showing. He then claimed an injury and stayed away from any further workouts so the GMs, who never saw him play, wouldn't see just how bad he really was. THe result was Paxson bit and made him a first round pick. A 4 year guaranteed NBA contract instead of 4 years of not starting in college. And what did he do in those 4 years - he had the 8th worst PER in the NBA of all players since 1978 and the absolute worst offensive rating. And now since he's "experienced", he got a 3 year guaranteed deal from dallas.

LyXo
08-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Really though, can you blame Diop for all of this? Even if Windhorst's story was 100% accurate, you can't put all fault on Diop. All he had to do was get an agent. His agent sells this 7 foot giant to feeble minded GM's, like Paxson, and makes bank. He just sits back and collects his check and gets front row seats to an NBA game. I'd do that any day.

Yea, he doesn't try. But think about it. He was booed at the draft. Everyone expected too much for him, to have an instant impact, but obviously wasn't, he was an extremely raw project. He lost motivation because he wasn't welcome, and was stuck on a losing team. Silas came along and didn't help much either. He wasn't willing to work with anyone that didn't fit his mold. So of course he's not going to care about the Cavs, they didn't welcome him at all. I would just sit back and collect my check too.

He lacked passion for the game. Can you blame him for that either? He probably didn't even know what basketball was until he moved here. He had no role models growing up like other ballers did. Brian Windhorst's description that he was a clown because he camped on the defensive end all the time? As a coach, what would you do with a 7-footer that didn't know how to play basketball? Don't tell me you'd give him the ball on the offensive end and let him play. Not when you have Carmelo Anthony on the team.

The face of what's wrong in the NBA? I would put Jim Paxson ahead of that for giving Diop the money in the first place. Mark Cuban too, we shouldn't be paying players this much without some incentive clauses. That's the problem with the NBA, too much guaranteed money so players are allowed to underachieve, unlike football, where guys can get cut any given day if they don't work hard.

Things might be different in Dallas. If they are open to him, welcome him, and are willing to work with him, I can see him developing into a solid backup, even with the chance to overtake another underachiever, Eric Dampier.

I really do believe he has the ability to do some things on the court: he's an above-average shot blocker in addition to his size, his man-man defense is pretty good as he's very active on that end. On offense, I noticed that he was the only one setting picks and trying to do something other than stand around. He made good passes to cutters. I did see some eagerness on the court. I just don't think that Lucas or Silas were very good for him at all. Dallas will be better for him.

CleveRocks
08-23-2005, 11:22 AM
I don't think you can blame Silas for Diops lack of development. But I agree that he will play backup in Dallas and will be at least as good as his predecessors, Bradley, Pavel and MBenga. (Not saying much really) .

I am glad he is gone. I just don't want another like him. That is why I say no to Jahidi White.

LyXo
08-23-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm just here to give him more benefit of the doubt. I can see why everyone hates on Diop so much. A wasted #8 pick on a bust. But I bet that this criticism wouldn't be there if he was picked in the second round, or even the early first round. Everyone just has uncanny hate and anger and they direct it at Diop, rather than where it should go: Paxson, and Lucas for pushing to draft him.

Really though. Who are we looking at to back up Z? Jahidi White? Let's see.. He's a PF/C with a good defensive skillset, but absolutely no offensive game. Wait, let's look at Diop: A C with a good defensive skillset, but absolutely no offensive game. The difference? Diop is 7', White is 6'9. Both haven't achieved much, but everyone gives White the benefit of the doubt. Why? He was picked in the 2nd round. They're basically the same player, but they hate on Diop because he was a wasted lottery pick. So I will defend him until he retires and hopefully be able to rub it in everyone's face when he's averaging the highest blocks per 48 minutes. Bradley did it for a season, so can Diop. I'll have my year of glory.

Pioneer10
08-23-2005, 11:57 AM
I've seen White and Diop play and I'm sorry as depressing as it may sound White is an upgrade on Diop. He might be only 6'9" but he's far more physical then Diop (desptie Diop size) and is what we need on the Cavs. We need a physical presence who can bang inside and be the enforcer. With two softies in Z and Gooden, White is perfect to throw in their for a few minutes to bang bodies with guys like Brand and Shaq.

Sure Diop blocked a few shots now and then but his problems on offense were terrible. Sure White is not great on offense but the Diop I saw took ill advised jumpers and seemed to have no clue on where to pass the ball to. Atleast White while not an assest won't be a detriment on the offensive side of things like Diop was

Best of luck to him in Dallas as he does have some phyical tools but I'm not going to be missing him anytime soon

KI4MVP
08-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Yea, that was the other part - Paxson only drafted him because Lucas insisted.

It all worked out fine for the cavs, though, we don't get LeBron if they cavs do better drafting than Diop. And it wasn't exactly an all time great draft anyway.

NarlCavs
08-23-2005, 05:48 PM
I don't want to keep defending White but he is a far better player than Diop ever has been. White has actually produced in his career. He's not nor ever will be an all star but he can do the job at bacup C for the Cavs for 1 season at the veteran minimum.

White's career numbers are 5.9 pts, 5.8 rebounds, 1.1 blocks and 51% while averaging 17.7 minutes a game in his career.
2 years ago in Phoenix he averaged 4.3 pts, 4.3 reb and shot 52% in 14 minutes a game. I'd take that type of production from the Cavs backup C.
The best year of White's career was 2000-2001 when he averaged 8.6 pts, 7.7 reb, and 1.6 blocks in 23.7 minutes a game. That's about a month's worth of production for Diop.

Diop's career numbers are 1.6 pts, 2.6 rebs, and 35.8% FG. In his best season he averaged 2.3 pts, 3.6 reb's and shot 38.8% FG.

I still think White is a solid choice as backup C and is a better solution at that spot than what the Cavs have had the past 2 seasons.

We're looking at 1 year minimum salary veterans. There's really nothing much better that's still available. The best of what's left are players like Booth, Mikki Moore, Ervin Johnson and Andrew DeClerq. The talent level is about the same and you don't know if any of those players would accept a 1 year contract.

CleveRocks
08-23-2005, 11:18 PM
All of those will be looking at a one year vet min or the CBA.

I am just saying that if Z goes down with an injury we are boned if Jahidi white is playing back up.

I think we can and should do better even if a trade is needed...

Kypus
08-23-2005, 11:54 PM
Sure White is not great on offense but the Diop I saw took ill advised jumpers and seemed to have no clue on where to pass the ball to.

I will not miss Diop's good old "Pump Fake Pass to Your Own Teammate". You all know what I'm talking about...it was a major challenge for him to get the ball back to the PG after every rebound he grabbed :banghead:

Randolphkeys
08-24-2005, 12:16 AM
Some nice points here, NarlCavs. I hate to come across as the biggest Jahidi supporter since he has been a dissapointment the past two seasons, but any basketball fans who didn't follow the NBA outside of the Cavs very closely a few years ago should take a look at the production he used to provide:

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=WHITEJA01

On a one year minimum contract, he should be motivated to regain some of that old magic.

cdt
08-24-2005, 12:22 AM
Does anyone really care if DeSagana Diop signed with another team? Did he do anything here for us to miss him? No, so why don't we end this discussion about YaWanna Flop right here so long we hardly knew ye so let's laugh in the face of Mark Cuban for contributing to Diop's wealth. Move on fellow Cavs fans a new big man will arrive :D

lyXo, your benefit of the doubt to Diop has no weight behind it. You say he was in a bad environment and the coaches, etc didn't like him. To me that would spur you on. You should not depend on others to be motivated. He does not need to be spoon fed. He chose not to work, and the consequences are that is he is a joke of a basketballer despite his new contract.

Diop is whats wrong in basketball. The owners are desperate for size so they pay. It is the players like Diop not working hard that is causing a down turn in standard.

Dont compare Jahidi White to Diop. White actually has ability and showed it unlike Desagana. The posts above perfectly explain this. I cannot wait to see Diop in Cleveland with his DNP-CD. He will be an easy target for abuse all game.

LyXo
08-24-2005, 12:02 PM
lyXo, your benefit of the doubt to Diop has no weight behind it. You say he was in a bad environment and the coaches, etc didn't like him. To me that would spur you on. You should not depend on others to be motivated. He does not need to be spoon fed. He chose not to work, and the consequences are that is he is a joke of a basketballer despite his new contract.

Diop is whats wrong in basketball. The owners are desperate for size so they pay. It is the players like Diop not working hard that is causing a down turn in standard.

Dont compare Jahidi White to Diop. White actually has ability and showed it unlike Desagana. The posts above perfectly explain this. I cannot wait to see Diop in Cleveland with his DNP-CD. He will be an easy target for abuse all game.

To you, that would spur you on. To someone that's been playing basketball for less than 8 years of his life, it deters. He was thrust into situations where expectations were set too high, by someone else, not by himself. Diop did not ask to play basketball, he was asked by someone else.

Diop does need to be spoon fed. He didn't have the benefit that other players had: playing basketball all their lives. Other players learned fundamentals and basketball discipline in middle school, high school, and college. His role in high school was to be a cement block on the defensive end; I doubt they taught him much more than that. You can't thrust him into a professional situation and expect him to learn everything right away. Remember, he is only 23 years old.

You can say he had 4 years to accomplish that, but I don't think that the coaches did a good job with his development. Negativity and criticism don't necessarily work with everyone. Especially with someone that doesn't have the competitive spirit. That spirit can be instilled in people, but not to those that are pinned as the laughing stock of the roster by coaches like Silas.

Perhaps he is what's wrong in basketball. But owners should recognize this. There is plenty of size out there, what makes Diop different? They are so desperate for size, so why don't they look elsewhere? There are plenty of 7 footers out there looking for a chance. If he has a track record of not working hard, why was he even considered? Diop has potential and upside, but only if groomed correctly. I think Dallas will be a good situation for him: he has that guy from Senegal that was campaigning for his signing that will be a good, positive motivation. Avery Johnson has seen the worst of the worst big men, so Diop won't be any different than that group. I feel that they overpaid, but that's their decision, not mine.

CleveRocks
08-24-2005, 02:10 PM
I agree with Lyxo to the extent that Diop has upside still. He is huge, runs the floor as well as any giant person, and he is young. There is also some truth in the idea that Diop was not in the bet position to succeed. It is obvious to anybody in basketball (certainly by now) that Paxson was a fool to draft him so high. But foolish choices occur every year in the draft.

I do think Diop got more education regarding basketball at Oak Hill than being a cement block. Oak Hill is a premier basketball prep school and Diop's presence there was basketball focused (he certainly wasn't studying calculus or public relations!). And I think Silas did give it a go with Diop. I recall a week in particular that there were news reports about Silas "bodying up" Diop himself in practice.

It is the fact that Diop did not respond to that, and obviously from the reporting Diop did not give a hoot about Cleveland or the Cavs, that turns people off about Double D, and it is a total crap shoot as to how he turns out in Dallas. On the one hand he is young and may still decide to try to do something significant in basketball before it is too late, and on the other he is going to make his 6 million even if he rides the pine for three years. 6 million dollars is a ludicrous amount of wealth in Senegal, and it is completely possible DD will be content with that. No amount of arguing the point here is going to elucidate us any further about the "real" DD. So I suggest we agree to disagree and move on.

Kypus
08-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Here is Diop's old scouting report from the year we drafted him...HILARIOUS! Athleticism a perfect 10! Let's just say, "It seemed like a good idea at the time." :dunno: At least he gives me an excuse to use my smiley skills.

Athleticism: 10 :shakehead:
Size: 10
Defense: 10
Quickness: 9 :uhh:
Strength: 10
Leadership: 7 :coolugh:
NBA Ready: 5
Jump Shot: 6 :stick:
Rebounding: 10
Potential: 10
Post Skills: 8
Intangibles: 8 :confused:

:thisguy: http://nbadraft.net/profiles/saganadiop.htm

NBA Comparison: Bob Lanier

Strengths: Sagana Diop is a very athletic big man. he's close to 300 pounds and runs the floor like a small forward. he's very fast. coming from senegal, africa, he's only been playing competitive basketball for a few years so he figures to get a lot better. right now his best asset is his defense. he can hold opposing centers virtually scoreless with his smothering style of defense. he is a very good shot blocker, and can also help out and block other opposing players shots.

Weaknesses: he is not super polished offensively. he has soft touch around the basket but just hasn't developed the post moves to where they are automatic. there are very few centers in the nba game with his combination of strength, speed, and athleticism.

Amazingly agile and athletic for a 7 foot 310 pound center. Runs the floor very well. Still very raw offensively but the makings are there. Shows soft touch around the cup. Super strong, very good defender with great shotblocking instincts. Guarded Tyson Chandler twice last season and ate him up the first matchup, Chandler had a much better game the second time around but rarely scored over Diop. (Pronounced JOP).

G-MAN
09-01-2005, 01:23 PM
i don't know if this is a double post but it is an interesting article.

http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?forumID=114&threadID=2287740&lastPostID=13343192

what dumbsh*t doesn't realize if he had tried and showed something he could have signed a adonal foyle type contract. smart and dumb at the same time.