PDA

View Full Version : Arenas Rips the Cavs (again)

jkads
10-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Link (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/10/gilbert_rips_the_cavs.html)

Arenas Rips the Cavs
D.C. Sports Bog by Dan Steinberg
October 28, 2008; 10:14 AM ET

If it's NBA season opener time, then it must be "attempt to rile up Cleveland fans" time, both for the Wizards and the bloggers who cling to them. And work for them.

I previously posted (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/10/gilbert_is_but_a_leaf_on_a_tre.html) about Gilbert's cover-story interview with Dime magazine (http://dimemag.com/2008/10/gilbert-arenas-dime-mag-cover-knee-injury-111-million-contract-agent-zero-blog/), but the online version was edited, and they took out the juiciest stuff.

Over the weekend, I finally read the full story, and the edited parts contained Gilbert's praise for DeShawn Stevenson and his broadside at the Cavs. It feels like I've read this before, so I'm sure he's said something similar in the past. When you do nothing but write and talk for 18 months, you're gonna occasionally repeat yourself. But still. Here's what he said about the Cavs beating up on the injured Wiz during the playoffs.

You can't do anything. We played them last year in Washington and LeBron was injured. We were beating them by 30-something points. I told them, "You guys look like a bad NCAA team." I was like, "Yeah, it ain't easy when LeBron ain't out there. You guys are [bleep]. You guys are garbage. You look like our practice team." They've got one megastar who's carrying them, but you take him off the team and they're the Cleveland NBDL team.

Don't let me speak for Wizards fans, but if I were speaking for Wiz fans, I'd say at this point please just keep battering Cleveland. It's great fun. If you accept the fact that Washington will never ever win on the court, at least against that particular team, you might as well enjoy Washington scoring repeated verbal knockouts off it.

Gil was also asked whether DeShawn stupidly riled up LeBron by making that series into the most wildly entertaining first rounder of the year. Gil's response:

No. LeBron's scoring 30 because LeBron always scores 30. It's not like he's scoring 30 because he's mad; that's what he does....People like Charles Barkley saying DeShawn's an idiot for getting LeBron riled up; you didn't need stuff to get riled up when you were playing against Michael Jordan and those guys? Everyone talked so much trash, but that was the No. 1 watched series in the first round. We had Jay-Z making diss tapes. We had Soulja Boy. We made money for the NBA. It was an exciting series. What more do you want? People are saying DeShawn is stupid--he can't be that stupid if he made one comment and now we're playing [Cleveland] on Christmas Day. I've been in the League seven years and never played on Christmas. That one comment got us a Christmas game. That's called marketing to me.

Of course, DeShawn has now promised no more antics (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/10/the_wizards_get_serious.html) until Gilbert returned, so apparently the marketing department has been put on hold for a few months. That's ok. We'll wait.

chiefwahoo
10-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Here we go again. :rolleyes:

I wish this guy would just go away. Can't wait till they're the 8th seed this year and we can take out the trash again in the opening round.

Mike C
10-28-2008, 01:27 PM
I love it. Keep it coming Gilbert. I respect anyone who doesn't let reality slow them down.

And after signing a deal for $111 Million, you had better act like you're gonna beat the Cavs, otherwise the Wizards just wasted 9 figures on a guaranteed loser. I disagree with what Arenas is saying, but hell, might as well keep the thing rolling. Right now he's stuck in Washington, and the Wizards are stuck with him.

Don't take it personally Cavs fans, the scoreboard don't lie.

Jon
10-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Great marketing Gilbert... however if Stevenson had kept his mouth shut maybe the Wiz could have stolen a game or two. But I guess if you know you're going down, you might as well make it fun.

Larry would approve!

jvpertz
10-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Honestly, my dream season would be for us to win 60 in the regular season and go on to win in the Finals.

However, the cherry on top would be a 1st round matchup against the Wiz with us sweeping them out of the first round. That would be the dream season.

chiefwahoo
10-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Changed the thread title because my first reaction was 'Dan Gilbert?'

KU_216
10-28-2008, 01:31 PM
I've been in the League seven years and never played on Christmas.

Looks like you won't again this year, either!

Seriously, does anyone pay attention to this guy anymore? He blogs more then he plays the game of basketball. If he put half as much effort into rehabbing his knee, as he did blogging, maybe we'd see him play once in a while. He didn't get called a 0 for nothing.

Rick Astley
10-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Looking forward for the Cavs to rip Arenas a 3rd new asshole. Or maybe just loosen the same asshole.

BigErieCavsFan
10-28-2008, 01:37 PM
It's a good thing for him that they play us on x-mas, becuase I highly doubt we see them in the playoffs this year. I don't expect them to make it...

Chris
10-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Who cares?

I'd say we'll kill them for a FOURTH year in a row but I question whether they will even make the playoffs.

theSTEREO.
10-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Don't let me speak for Wizards fans, but if I were speaking for Wiz fans, I'd say at this point please just keep battering Cleveland. It's great fun. If you accept the fact that Washington will never ever win on the court, at least against that particular team, you might as well enjoy Washington scoring repeated verbal knockouts off it.

:chuckles:

No. LeBron's scoring 30 because LeBron always scores 30. It's not like he's scoring 30 because he's mad; that's what he does....People like Charles Barkley saying DeShawn's an idiot for getting LeBron riled up; you didn't need stuff to get riled up when you were playing against Michael Jordan and those guys? Everyone talked so much trash, but that was the No. 1 watched series in the first round. We had Jay-Z making diss tapes. We had Soulja Boy. We made money for the NBA. It was an exciting series. What more do you want? People are saying DeShawn is stupid--he can't be that stupid if he made one comment and now we're playing [Cleveland] on Christmas Day. I've been in the League seven years and never played on Christmas. That one comment got us a Christmas game. That's called marketing to me.

Actually... Well stated. As far as marketing and making the series and the Wiz relevant... Gilbert's right. It sure made for an interesting series.

Final response though... See my sig from last year's playoffs:

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t337/shopkid1a/sig_image2check.jpg

Soda
10-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm sure DeShawn had marketing in mind when he made those comments. That would not have been Arenas's tone had they won the series. I'm sure we will do better than them, I don't know why he continues, but at this point its free entertainment for me.

sam_slam911
10-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Man I wish tha NBA would let us have a fight. Cavs versus Wizards. Just 10 minutes of the officials lookin the other way.

The George
10-28-2008, 02:08 PM
man Arenas is a douche....His mouth got him 111 million...got to give him credit for that

but man he is a douche

MYoung23
10-28-2008, 02:11 PM
I called 3 straight playoff wins with a 12-4 record

BOHICA

PIP
10-28-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm old enough to remember when Gilbert Arenas used to be good and relevant...

Mdog1
10-28-2008, 02:16 PM
To bad that Gilbert wouldn't come to every Cavs game and chirp LBJ at half time.

Thunder
10-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Looks like you won't again this year, either!

LMFAO, SO TRUE!

Lee
10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
This type of thing is good for the NBA. Its interesting and it sells tickets. To bad its not a more relivent team like Detroit or Boston chirping at us like that. How fun would that be?

Jon
10-28-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm old enough to remember when Arenas actually played NBA regular season basketball.

KU_216
10-28-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm old enough to remember when Arenas actually played NBA regular season basketball.

I don't think anyone is that old, because he never did. :tongue:

Rick Astley
10-28-2008, 02:43 PM
The Whizz gave him $111 million so he could buy a new suit every game. Yeah it's that expensive.

NarlCavs
10-28-2008, 02:52 PM
The Wizards actually played better without Arenas last season than with him. He's yet to prove he can make his teammates better. It's past time he just shut the hell up. Get out of the 2nd round of the playoffs than maybe you can talk a little.

I hope the Cavs don't play the Wizards again this year in the playoffs. I'm sick of them and don't won't to have to hear all the crap that goes along with them once again.

JayP146
10-28-2008, 03:45 PM
How he continually talks trash after we've defeated his team THREE YEARS IN A ROW in the same postseason round is beyond me.

mixman
10-28-2008, 03:49 PM
how many games has Arenas played in the last 2 years, 20? Rejoin the league before you talk trash man! He is right though in one respect. DeShawn's comments got them a nationally televised game on the most important day in the NBA's regular season schedule. Still, if we meet in the playoffs it will be more of the same again.

Nicky
10-28-2008, 03:54 PM
He's gotta do something to try to remain relevant. Every season we go through this.
It's funny because this is the same guy who called LeBron the next Michael Jordan during the last series we played against them. But he doesn't remember that, does he?

Splitz
10-28-2008, 03:54 PM
It's healthier for him to rip us then to rip his Lateral Meniscus again.

King J
10-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Poor Gilbert :shakehead

Typhoon
10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Link (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/10/gilbert_rips_the_cavs.html)

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x121/Barragan104/3eafa3ad82a81juice2.jpg

Trill Cosby
10-28-2008, 04:17 PM
real talk i simply don't take agent injury seriously enough to even be offended by his comments...gil is as gil does, talk trash and lose playoff games against lebron..very entertaining stuff; it's funny seeing him talk shit and fail year after year...

but you know something? gilly did bring up a valid point. the deshawn - lebron - jay z - souljah boy hype was great for all parties involved, spot on in his remarks about marketing. who can honestly deny that?

and yes hype that indeed did lead to the wiz playing on christmas. now what better present will there be than to see him and his cohorts lose to lebron on the most glorious day of the year?

ice cream man
10-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Insult a player on an opposing team, and you get publicity. No, Gilbert, that's stupid, not smart.

Good Lord....

Jon
10-28-2008, 04:25 PM
He's gotta do something to try to remain relevant. Every season we go through this.
It's funny because this is the same guy who called LeBron the next Michael Jordan during the last series we played against them. But he doesn't remember that, does he?

He's not picking on LeBron ...

RchfldCavRaised
10-28-2008, 04:28 PM
For the first time in like 3 years... when Arenas speaks this time, I feel nothing. I used to think he was kinda funny, now he's just kinda sad.

AND WHEN IS THE GUY GOING TO COME OUT AND ADMIT HE IS THE MODERN DAY JOHN AMAECHI???

Me and my wife are sure, its only a matter of time

RonG
10-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Well I found his team Photo this year, seems he is ready to be as productive as last year.

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/arenas.jpg

here he is again

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04L9aXDawz5W8/340x.jpg

Yep gilbert your one high priced cheer leader.

Keep on Keeping on

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09Zt0qegYDa1P/610x.jpg

BooyaCS
10-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Isn't this his way of saying "DADDY I NEED ATTENTION?"

Sure sounds like it to me.

TAS
10-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Arenas is annoying but he is speaking the truth & we all know it. When LeBron is out, its just god awful to watch the Cavaliers.... Mike Brown expects players to step up but then you have retards like Sasha trying moves they can't even make in NBA 2k9....

Or the Cavaliers have a nice cushion in a game, LeBron goes to the Bench...Cavaliers don't score for 3-4 mins.

Last year when LeBron was out, the Cavaliers went 0-8... enuff said...

Scuzzy
10-28-2008, 05:23 PM
I think it's sweet, now we have Detroit, Boston and Wizards all as rivals

what better to watch :)

bomber
10-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Gil angers me, so does Screamin A. On SC, he just said for sure LeBron is leaving in 2010. They always gotta got that in anytime they can.

Wine and Gold
10-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Last year we were particularly vulnerable without Lebron, that much is true. Lebron IS that good that he can lift a team that would ave likely been a lottery team without hm last season. So, in regards to that, he is right.

But, this year is different I think. And after midseason, I expect that we'll even be stronger.

In 15 months we'll be the best team in the league, and set to dominate for years and years to come.

Scuzzy
10-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Steve A and guys like Skippy really don't bother me that much, mostly because I just get blazed, don't pay attention to what they're saying and focus on the amazing faces and jestures they make.

tedginnjr
10-28-2008, 05:34 PM
I used to think all the little Wizards stuff was cute, but after three series.... come on now. It's just getting annoying.

Like Hov said.... "Know the difference 'tween a King and a pawn."

3 Da Hard Way
10-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Last year we were particularly vulnerable without Lebron, that much is true. Lebron IS that good that he can lift a team that would ave likely been a lottery team without hm last season. So, in regards to that, he is right.

But, this year is different I think. And after midseason, I expect that we'll even be stronger.

In 15 months we'll be the best team in the league, and set to dominate for years and years to come.

I was depressed after i saw Screaming A on ESPN, But you always cheer me up with your posts.:D

Amherstcavsfan
10-28-2008, 05:42 PM
I treat Gil like I treat my girlfriend:

Sometimes you just need to know when a bitch needs slapped.

Scuzzy
10-28-2008, 05:43 PM

WnG, I know u get alot of PM's and questions and probably get annoyed, i've never have bothered to question your insites yet, well i'm about to now bro

Can you briefly explain why you think the Cavs are better off in 15 months rather than now or after the mid-season trade?

MikeOC33
10-28-2008, 06:20 PM
I haven't sat down and studied each team, nor more importantly, seen how each team looks to start the season, but off the top of my head I'd say Washington is gonna have a tough time just making the playoffs, let alone worrying about if they can or cannot get past Clev.

Injuries aside, I think these teams are a lock to make the playoffs in the east:

Bost, Clev, Det, Orlando.

I like these teams chances to make the playoffs:

Philly, Chicago, and possibly Toronto

I think these teams will fight it out for the last slot:

Indy, Atl, Charlotte, Miami, with Washington barely in this group because of their injuries, and because of their injuries, I think Washington is the fifth best out of these five fringe teams to start the season. They could fall too far back to catch up, once they get healthy... if they stay healthy.

Personally, I hope they don't make the playoffs... let them cry their bitter little tears and call out LeBron and the Cavs all they want as they watch them in the playoffs on tv.

PIP
10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Gilbert is showing Larry how it's done....

jim jim
10-28-2008, 06:41 PM
You would think that him and deshawn would have learned by now, but here we go again. Maybe this year can be another exit form the playoffs by the cavs.

myriadwhims
10-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Scuzzy: Just look at our trade assets and flexibility. We have a huge expiring this year, another huge expiring next year, an excellent core of young talent, promising rookies, ... There's no reason to believe that we WON'T be awesome imo.

Go Cavs!

P.S. Gilbert is funny. And I look forward to us blowing the Wizards out for Christmas. Thank you Gilbert, you will make my day this December 25th.

CleveRocks
10-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Can you briefly explain why you think the Cavs are better off in 15 months rather than now or after the mid-season trade?

That one comment by W&G could create its own thread. 15 months is the trade deadline in for 2009-2010. That season Wallace, Z, Pavs and Anderson are all expiring for a combined 36 million dollars.

cav jvl
10-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Does Arenas still play? Maybe it is time to join Chuck, Ernie, Kenny and the guys on TNT.

cdt
10-28-2008, 11:16 PM
I'll still take great pleasure slapping around Caron, DeStatutory and the ol' gang...

Jon
10-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Last year when LeBron was out, the Cavaliers went 0-8... enuff said...

We didn't have anyone to run the team or create, so it was worse than it seemed.

In years past we had a good record with LeBron out, but we also had guys like Snow who were used to running the team.

Chris
10-29-2008, 10:39 AM

That is if Lebron is still here :chuckles:

Mdog1
10-29-2008, 11:45 AM
That one comment by W&G could create its own thread. 15 months is the trade deadline in for 2009-2010. That season Wallace, Z, Pavs and Anderson are all expiring for a combined 36 million dollars.

Possibly LBJ to (if he opts out) doesn't that add another 17 mil to the tally, and if we traded him (w won't) we'd get a shit load of talent and picks back. Then he could resign with us.

Jon
10-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Possibly LBJ to (if he opts out) doesn't that add another 17 mil to the tally, and if we traded him (w won't) we'd get a shit load of talent and picks back. Then he could resign with us.

If LeBron opts out we'd have to release our matching rights in order to free up more cap money, otherwise he'll have a cap hold that'll eat up a bunch of cap space.

And if we want to get a lot back in exchange for trading him, we'd have to either trade him early to a team that thinks they have a shot at re-signing him, or trade him to a team that doesn't have enough cap space to sign him as a free agent.

But remember how Kobe nixxed a Bull's deal because he didn't like how much talent the Bull's would lose in the deal? If LeBron wants to play for a winner at full strength with all their players and future picks, he'll just sign with them as a free-agent.

Mdog1
10-29-2008, 06:54 PM
If LeBron opts out we'd have to release our matching rights in order to free up more cap money, otherwise he'll have a cap hold that'll eat up a bunch of cap space.

And if we want to get a lot back in exchange for trading him, we'd have to either trade him early to a team that thinks they have a shot at re-signing him, or trade him to a team that doesn't have enough cap space to sign him as a free agent.

But remember how Kobe nixxed a Bull's deal because he didn't like how much talent the Bull's would lose in the deal? If LeBron wants to play for a winner at full strength with all their players and future picks, he'll just sign with them as a free-agent.

That's true but Kobe also probably didn't want to play in MJ's shadow.

oldenpolynice
10-29-2008, 07:39 PM
In the end Gilbert succeeds because we all link to his blog and give him credit (whether negative or positive) for his ridiculous opinions. You can make of it what you will, but he's definitely right about the marketing thing.

Mdog1
10-29-2008, 08:45 PM
At very least Arenas will be the best player turned blogger in history..... If only for a little while because DHoward is starting an NBA blog to lol. Maybe he'll chirp the Cavs to.

Prime 1978
10-30-2008, 08:30 AM
If anything Arenas should be apologizing for robbing the Wiz this year. I find it hard to believe that he didn't know he was still injured at the time he signed the contract.

Wiz Pres: "Thanks for signing back with us Gilbert". "I look forward to having you back for the whole season"

Arenas: "No Thank You, for having me back" "I look forward to being..." "Oh, Oh, my knee" "I think I need another surgery" "Well at least I have full time for my blog and can wear ugly suits on the sidelines"

Mdog1
10-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Arenas talks so much shit he's going to need to start wearing a toilet paper mouth guard.