PDA

View Full Version : Lebrons heat checks.... ye or ney

Scuzzy
12-23-2008, 12:37 AM
you always know after that 2nd consec splash the quick 30 footer is coming next, seems he never drains them

waist of a posession?

Northstar
12-23-2008, 01:04 AM
I wish LeBron would do a pump fake like he is going to heat check and try to get 3 points out of them.

breanna
12-23-2008, 01:43 AM
I hate LeBron's heat checks

Gimme Some Mo
12-23-2008, 01:45 AM
Heat checks suck. He can get that shot any time on any possession.

A Minnow Frenzy
12-23-2008, 01:56 AM
Yea, I wish he would take it the hole instead. I noticed Delonte do it in OKC. He made two consecutive jumpers and capitalized on the 3rd opportunity to take it inside more easily. But...i can't complain if we have a cushion and he's just trying to loosen up. I just hate it when it comes in tight or crucial moments in the game...but he's the King, so...whatev.

Sawduzt
12-23-2008, 04:06 AM
mike brown should post a note on lebrons locker. "you're always on fire on dunks"

Thomas#8
12-23-2008, 12:39 PM
What is a heat check? :confused:

Mdog1
12-23-2008, 12:44 PM
NEY. I would be fine if he would make one once in a while, but damn not a single one this year LBJ. You need to step up.

Chris
12-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Absolute waste of a possession- I can't stand them.

Maximus
12-23-2008, 01:13 PM
He has the green light to do what he wants....I can't argue otherwise. If he is on fire, you people saying "ney" are the same ones having orgasms in the game threads when he's in the zone. He's earned the right to check the heat on occasion. Whether he's making them or not he it keeps the defense honest. He has to show them he's not afraid to hoist from the outside. If not, they'll start sagging off him and clogging the lane more....then he'll be left with mostly perimeter shots.

A heat check from time to time is fine...

hendrix2430
12-23-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm fine with the heat checks. It's funny more than anything else. Heck, if he decided to only shoot first quarters with his left hand I'd be ok with it.

Brother Redbush
12-23-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm not a big fan of any ill advised shot. Just run the offense, it's been consistently giving off a good deal of heat.

Clum-Z
12-23-2008, 02:07 PM
i dont mind the heat check shot, he only shoots an illadvised shot when he is really feeling it

jjc58
12-23-2008, 02:35 PM
The reason that LeBron doesn't make "heat checks" is that we only consider it a heat check when he misses.

Game 5 of the Pistons series was really just one heat check after another.

sjeppe
12-23-2008, 02:50 PM
I think he has earned the right to be able to heat check himself if he feels the need as long as its not in a crucial part of the game.

ohbarrett
12-23-2008, 05:48 PM
I think he has earned the right to be able to heat check himself if he feels the need as long as its not in a crucial part of the game.

I agree. Usually the heatcheck doesn't come before making two or three really good shots.

Jon
12-23-2008, 05:57 PM
What Max said.

OnTheReg
12-23-2008, 06:00 PM
you always know after that 2nd consec splash the quick 30 footer is coming next, seems he never drains them

waist of a posession?

edit: wrong section

Why is your picture of that journalist throwing shoes at Bush?

OnTheReg
12-23-2008, 06:01 PM
I agree. Usually the heatcheck doesn't come before making two or three really good shots.

They only call it a heat check when LeBron misses. The formula for a heat check is: 2 (or more) made shots + one missed shot = heat check (on that missed shot). I'm pretty sure Descartes, Fermat or Einstein came up with this, wish I could take credit.

Chris
12-23-2008, 06:03 PM
He has the green light to do what he wants....I can't argue otherwise. If he is on fire, you people saying "ney" are the same ones having orgasms in the game threads when he's in the zone. He's earned the right to check the heat on occasion. Whether he's making them or not he it keeps the defense honest. He has to show them he's not afraid to hoist from the outside. If not, they'll start sagging off him and clogging the lane more....then he'll be left with mostly perimeter shots.

Nobody would have an issue if he MAKES the heat checks. problem is, he usually doesn't.

He needs to keep the defense honest but if he just made a three, doesn't that serve this purpose? No need to hoist up two enormous 3s in a row IMO, but as long as we're winning, who cares....

wuck
12-23-2008, 06:03 PM
I don't mind heat checks from time to time, but LeBron has become predictable enough that 2 or 3 RCF posts on the game thread will say "look out, heat check coming up next possession", and then on cue he heaves up a 24-footer with 15 seconds left on the shot clock.

I think LeBron decides he's hot before he checks. Those shots are sometimes more of an "am I still hot check", not an "is it possible I am hot check". And, to be honest, sometime he just settles, especially with a widening lead.

I prefer the "no one can stop me going to the hoop" checks.

Manic89
12-23-2008, 06:05 PM
He should start driving on that 3rd try. It would make the D **** their pants. Can you imagine if a guy that big was draining consecutive 3s, and right when you go up to contest the shot.... he blows past you with NFL size and speed and put's your boy under the hoop on a poster?

Get real

Chris
12-23-2008, 06:31 PM
I've seen him do it at crucial moments and brick them horribly. I think he did it towards the end of the Detroit game, for example. That is when I have a problem with it. Not a big deal if it's the first quarter in a game we're winning by a lot in, or if it's just early on.

Corey
12-23-2008, 06:38 PM
What is a heat check? :confused:
I was just about to ask the same thing.

greeksurfer1
12-23-2008, 06:38 PM

waist of a posession?

edit: wrong section

I think his shooting record speaks for itself. Waste of possession? Never with LeBron.

Scuzzy, I'm gonna name my dog after you.

bob2the2nd
12-23-2008, 06:50 PM
I was just about to ask the same thing.

For Thomas and CX360 a heat check in this case is after a player (in this case lebron) has hit several shots in a row, usually a couple of 3 pointers or several hard shots, he decides to just throw up a 3 pointer not in the flow of offense and usually as soon as he touches the ball. After the several shots in a row a player begins to think they can hit anything within the half court line so they will just throw up a shot. Generally these are classified as the bad shots. If it was any other time we would all yell at him but because he has hit several in a row we just wait for the next possession and caulk up the bad shot to a "heat check"

kblade
12-23-2008, 07:32 PM
never gets more then two in a row;
ball hog mentality!

Splitz
12-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Max makes a good point but I'm with the crew that would like to see them go. I absolutely loathe the heat check.

crazedcav333
12-23-2008, 08:38 PM
He can shoot them all day after that 2nd make.

And totally agreed with Max. If he makes it it's "YEAH LEBRON YOU DA MAN!" but if he misses it's "What the hell are you doing?"

Brandname
12-23-2008, 09:30 PM

But don't you think they're a little..... frequent?

Maximus
12-23-2008, 09:57 PM
But don't you think they're a little..... frequent?

No, not reallly. What's "frequent"? Which ones do you consider "heat checks" and which ones aren't??? The only time Fred or AC have EVER uttered the words "that was a heat check" is after a miss....so people tend to remember those. When Lebron is emasculating the opponents and draining shots from wherever, they are never saying "LEBRON DRAINS ANOTHER HEAT CHECK!!!". So, seriously, it's tough to say. Again, I don't even mind the occasional miss from deep, because it is still beneficial in a way....it shows the defense he's willing to shoot from deep. If they don't think he's willing to shoot from deep he becomes much easier to defend. I think everyone is being way overcritical here.

This reminds me a bit of people complaining about Z's tip drills a couple years ago. I always thought they were a good thing, he kept the ball in Cav's possession and usually ended up scoring....yet some people always seemed to be angry about them.

The Cavs are 24-4....off to their greatest start ever. Lebron is off to one of the best season's ever. This isn't a big issue. I think he's earned the right and I don't think it is nearly the negative some are making it out to be.

Just my opinion...

wuck
12-23-2008, 10:34 PM
No, not reallly. What's "frequent"?

Often enough that they bring up an RCF poll on the subject? :)

After the discussion of heat checks, I found it interesting that LeBron didn't seem to take any tonight. He missed 3 three-pointers, but none of them were early in the shot clock. Only one followed a made jumper.

His most impressive point-scoring stretch came when he played around the rim (or got fouled) in the mid-third quarter.

Maybe he reserves the heat checks for less competitive games.

Cavatt
12-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Often enough that they bring up an RCF poll on the subject? :)

After the discussion of heat checks, I found it interesting that LeBron didn't seem to take any tonight. He missed 3 three-pointers, but none of them were early in the shot clock. Only one followed a made jumper.

His most impressive point-scoring stretch came when he played around the rim (or got fouled) in the mid-third quarter.

Maybe he reserves the heat checks for less competitive games.

I think he really is starting to think about the clock more. A heat check is ok, but at least run some time off.

burt07
12-24-2008, 12:19 PM
I love them and am all for them. It seems to me that LeBron usually will only do them when we're up in a game, and if LeBron is making them, it can be a gamebreaker and just absolutely deomoralize our opponent. You have to remember, although LeBron will do his heatchecks, he'll make sure if someone like Boobie or Delonte are hitting, he'll get them their heatchecks as well. It's not as if it's just LeBron doing this.

SteelSmack
12-24-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't mind a heat check, if LeBron does it properly, but as with most of LeBron's outside shots, it's almost never done properly. If we run the offense till 10 seconds is left, can't get a good shot, and we get him back the ball, go for it LeBron, shoot a 23-25 foot jumper for 3 to test that heat out. But when there 20 seconds left on the shot clock, don't stand 7 feet behind the 3 point line and chuck one up, either get to your sweet spot just inside the line, or take a 3 just outside the line. I'd rather he only heat checked when a play hasn't been run successfully, his long misses almost always result in a break for the other team off of a long rebound.

Jon
12-24-2008, 06:38 PM
LeBron often goes to the same spot where the defense didn't bother to cover him the last time and just fires it up again. Nothing wrong with that if he's got the range.

CHIMOCHIS
12-26-2008, 09:47 PM
heat checks should only be allowed for pickup games, this is an nba game

Brandname
12-27-2008, 02:40 AM
No, not reallly. What's "frequent"? Which ones do you consider "heat checks" and which ones aren't??? The only time Fred or AC have EVER uttered the words "that was a heat check" is after a miss....so people tend to remember those. When Lebron is emasculating the opponents and draining shots from wherever, they are never saying "LEBRON DRAINS ANOTHER HEAT CHECK!!!". So, seriously, it's tough to say. Again, I don't even mind the occasional miss from deep, because it is still beneficial in a way....it shows the defense he's willing to shoot from deep. If they don't think he's willing to shoot from deep he becomes much easier to defend. I think everyone is being way overcritical here.

This reminds me a bit of people complaining about Z's tip drills a couple years ago. I always thought they were a good thing, he kept the ball in Cav's possession and usually ended up scoring....yet some people always seemed to be angry about them.

The Cavs are 24-4....off to their greatest start ever. Lebron is off to one of the best season's ever. This isn't a big issue. I think he's earned the right and I don't think it is nearly the negative some are making it out to be.

Just my opinion...

I didn't mean to imply that I think it's a big issue. It's really not.

But it has become rather predictable, and a little bit irritating that he goes into heat check mode so easily. Every time he hits two shots in a row I turn to my wife and say "Here comes the Lebron Heat Check", and of course it's pretty inevitable. More often than not it's a wasted possession because it's LeISO except he just takes a bad shot and never really tries to use the threat of shooting to drive in these 'heat check' moments.

Don't get me wrong. It seems like I'm complaining a lot more than I intend to. I'm thrilled with pretty much everything about this team right now. But pressed specifically about this topic, I'd be lying if I said I'm glad he does all these heat checks. And I usually express my displeasure about the bad shots even if he does make them. Maybe I'm in the minority.