PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein's Power Rankings: 12/29

burt07
12-29-2008, 05:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2009&week=9&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

I'm sure many of you have seen this already but figured I'd post it for those that haven't. The Cavs fall to 3 despite not losing any games. The thing is, I don't really have a problem with it. We didn't really have THAT good of a week other than the Rockets win. The Wizards game was way too scary, and the Heat win is about what I expected. Also had to bank on the Lakers bounce from the Celtics win, and everyone still loves Boston despite that loss and a bad loss in Golden State. Other notable things from the rankings is the resurgence of the Spurs and Mavericks, and the continuing disappointment from the believed to be preseason contenders Raptors and 76ers.

Sir Charles Barkley
12-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah i dont have a problem with it, because I really dont care what all these "analysts" say anyways. As you said we didnt have a great week...so can't complain.

The George
12-29-2008, 06:04 PM
dont have a major roblem with not being number 1 but Boston being ahead of us is kind of a joke after a week of 2 losses... Stein prides his rankings being on a as-of-now basis and Im not sure how a week where we strugle yet win every game then Boston loses 2 grants them still being ahead of us

Hollinger should still have us at #1

wuck
12-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Hollinger has the Celtics at number 1 also, probably because of the 45-point margin against the Kings.

For more links to Power Rankings, see stickied Power Rankings thread at

http://www.realcavsfans.com/showthread.php?t=14979

The George
12-29-2008, 06:16 PM
wow... i missed the 45 pt drubbing of sac town

wow

45 pts

305MiamiHeat
12-29-2008, 06:32 PM
wow... i missed the 45 pt drubbing of sac town

wow

45 pts

I guess they got their juices flowing now since that loss to the lakers and then another right after. I saw that game and it was like watching Usain bolt playing tag with a horde of zombies, no lie!

KI4MVP
12-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Hollinger has the Celtics at number 1 also, probably because of the 45-point margin against the Kings.

For more links to Power Rankings, see stickied Power Rankings thread at

http://www.realcavsfans.com/showthread.php?t=14979

we drop to #2 in Hollinger on a week where boston lost twice, but pulled to #1 in sagarin's ratings. A nice 20 point win tomorrow should pull us back to #1 on hollinger.

Jan 9th is when we make our statement on all of these rankings.

-Akronite-
12-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Oh wow, the Celtics took their anger out on an inferior team, let's make them number 1!:rolleyes:

Lakers beat the Celtics yet have a worse record than the Cavs.

We are tied for best in the loss collumn, have pulled out some games when we weren't even playing well against some challenging teams (Houston and Miami), and are still undefeated at home. How are we behind the Lakers? We still have better defensive and win margin numbers, and we have less talent. How are we ranked below them?

thefuturegoat
12-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Oh wow, the Celtics took their anger out on an inferior team, let's make them number 1!:rolleyes:

Lakers beat the Celtics yet have a worse record than the Cavs.

We are tied for best in the loss collumn, have pulled out some games when we weren't even playing well against some challenging teams (Houston and Miami), and are still undefeated at home. How are we behind the Lakers? We still have better defensive and win margin numbers, and we have less talent. How are we ranked below them?

He doesn't make anyone #1. He just plugs the numbers into his formula and it spits out the result. Mark Stein on the other hand just uses his opinion.

SanduskyCav
12-29-2008, 09:04 PM
I hate marc stein

glockcoma
12-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Who cares, the power ranking system is like the coaches poll and the AP poll in college football. In the end, it really doesn't matter!

305MiamiHeat
12-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Who cares, the power ranking system is like the coaches poll and the AP poll in college football. In the end, it really doesn't matter!

Its also a great way to see every week the ESPN or Sport writers guild of HOMERISM at its best!

Jon
12-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Sorta disappointing, but our fate is in our own hands. If we beat the good teams in the upcoming weeks, we will undeniably be #1. If not? We'll land where we land.

Brandname
12-30-2008, 01:52 AM
I don't have a problem with this. Given the way we've played against Washington and Miami at home, I might have the same rankings actually.

Benedict_Boozer
12-30-2008, 04:28 AM
I'm curious how Stein got his job. He clearly didn't actually play or coach ball, his articles don't seem very knowledgeable, why did ESPN pick this hack? Of course they also have Ric Bucher on the payroll so..

wuck
12-30-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm curious how Stein got his job. He clearly didn't actually play or coach ball, his articles don't seem very knowledgeable, why did ESPN pick this hack? Of course they also have Ric Bucher on the payroll so..

Before joining ESPN, Stein was a print reporter -- LA Daily News, Washington Post, some smaller papers, and then the beat writer for the Mavericks for the Dallas Morning News from 1997-2000. I'm sure he was as opinionated for the Dallas paper as he is now for ESPN, and they were happy to pick him up.

How many reporters get threads on message boards for being good, bad, or annoying? Usually the famous and annoying ones. Probably means he is doing his "job" even if his job description could be changed for the better.

KI4MVP
12-30-2008, 06:54 PM

it certainly does matter in college football. It decides who has a chance to be national champion.

It doesn't matter at all in the NBA, but the Sagarin and Hollinger power rankings are two good ways to get an unbiased idea of how well different teams are doing. As we get late into the season, records are good enough. But right now a lot gets hidden when just looking at records, such as home vs away, strength of schedule, etc.

Boston was able to pull ahead of us in Hollinger on a week that they lost twice, but then had a blowout win. In his 10 game window, we replaced some blowout wins with closer wins while boston boosted their margin of victory with the blowout win.