PDA

View Full Version : No exception for Snow

Zone
01-08-2009, 07:48 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/01/cavaliers_insider_rookie_willi.html

Looks like we won't be getting a DPE for Snow that we could use to sign or trade for a player. Could've come in handy down the road as a future asset for the Cavs.

wuck
01-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Here's the full blurb:

No exception for Snow: When a team loses a player to injury for the season or he's forced to retire due to injury, they have the option of asking the league for what is called a Disabled Player Exception or DPE. This is a salary-cap exception that can be used to sign a player or trade for one.

Currently, for example, the New York Knicks are attempting to get one for the recently retired Cuttino Mobley. However, the Cavs are ineligible to apply for an DPE for Snow, even though they now have a roster spot, because Snow's initial injury, a torn meniscus, occurred before last season. The Cavs do, however, have $5.1 million left from their mid-level exception they could use.

I don't think this is news to the Cavs. It's been true since he got injured. I guess Windhorst got some questions about it from readers and decided to make it clear in print.

Jon
01-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Too bad. It was mentioned on the boards that we could get a DPE for Snow, but I don't believe that was ever corrected until now.

ChicagoCavFan
01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I hope Dan Gilbert wasn't counting on that money as savings for him entering the luxury tax...:bling:

Jon
01-08-2009, 11:07 AM
It was mentioned recently that Snow coming off the books was used to justify adding Mo Williams. The DPE (if we had it) and the MLE can be used to throw us even further in to the luxury tax, but I imagine we're going to avoid that unless there's a compelling need and the guy we bring in is actually going to play.

Photon
01-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Too bad for Dan. But maybe Danny can turn this in another solid addition. :king:

bob2the2nd
01-08-2009, 12:09 PM
I think some members are confused.

this just means the cavs dont get to use part of his cap space to bring on another player, it still means that as long as the cavs dont trade him they get luxury cap relief, right? these are two entirely seperate matters.

wuck
01-08-2009, 01:52 PM

this just means the cavs dont get to use part of his cap space to bring on another player, it still means that as long as the cavs dont trade him they get luxury cap relief, right? these are two entirely seperate matters.

I agree with you. The DPE (how to replace Snow by spending more money) is a separate issue from the insurance claim and retirement (and whatever comes along in terms of cap relief). The clock keeps ticking on that one. Is it January/February when that gets finalized? I forget the date.

Today's note by Windhorst only specifies what the Cavs options are in terms of replacing Snow and how much we can spend on it.

InBoobieWeTrust
01-08-2009, 02:00 PM
It's after the 41st game of the season.

Zone
01-08-2009, 02:23 PM

yes, you're correct. We still get the savings (around 10-11 million), but we don't get an additional exception to add a player (or players).