PDA

View Full Version : Browns Signings OnThe Way!

ACDC_Rocks024
03-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Aparently, from another forum, I've heard that the Browns have resigned Mike Adams to a 3 year deal, providing solid depth, he filled in decent as a starter at times too, so that's good. Next up, it was reported that the signing of WR David Patten will be announced tomorrow. Perhaps though, the most exciting news of all, is the likeliness of signing 2 former Jets players, being Bowens and Mosley, who both came away extremely impressed with pretty everything in Cleveland. It's rumored the two players are recruiting Barton, also formerly of the Jets, and it's pretty possible we can land him as well. Looks like we're finally getting things going. Exciting stuff...

Eddie
03-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Patten is pretty old lol, we arleady have Joe.

ACDC_Rocks024
03-05-2009, 10:57 PM
^^Hey, a signing is a signing, you know what I mean? Lol.

Chardon
03-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Who the hell is Patten?

The Oi
03-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Who the hell are any of these guys? Who are the New York Jets?

KCOTT
03-05-2009, 11:02 PM
didn't patten used to play for the Browns?

Chardon
03-05-2009, 11:09 PM

Im pretty sure he was a Army Commander in ww2? :( I thought he died!

The Oi
03-05-2009, 11:10 PM

Didnt he used to play for the U.S. Army?

http://www.rcera.org/dyslexia/patton.jpg

Eddie
03-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Patten is gonna be 35 before the season starts, played with the Browns in 2000. Definitely a head scratcher if this happens.

MoFlo
03-05-2009, 11:14 PM
David Patten (http://www.nfl.com/players/davidpatten/profile?id=PAT326165)

Mike Adams (http://www.nfl.com/players/mikeadams/profile?id=ADA515576)

David Bowens (http://www.nfl.com/players/davidbowens/profile?id=BOW130962)

C.J Mosley (http://www.nfl.com/players/c.j.mosley/profile?id=MOS360193)

Eric Barton (http://www.nfl.com/players/ericbarton/profile?id=BAR766216)

Hope this helps!

MoFlo
03-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Patten is gonna be 35 before the season starts, played with the Browns in 2000. Definitely a head scratcher if this happens.

Eh, nothing special.. if it's cheap, wouldn't mind it for depth, especially w/ Kellen gone & Joe's injury history.. and considering Stallworth showed absolutely nothing last year.. If it's true, it better be cheap though! Otherwise, I really wouldn't get it

cavincali
03-05-2009, 11:35 PM
David Patten did have a hell of a game when the benguls opened up there new stadium.

Amherstcavsfan
03-06-2009, 12:38 AM
David Patton had a hell of a year last year, with the Saints I think.

Look, it's fairly obvious we aren't going to get anyone big. So if you're or were expecting a big signing, you might as well piss and moan now.

Personally, I love all these moves.

Damage
03-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Nice solid depth. I like it

MoFlo
03-06-2009, 12:54 AM
David Patton had a hell of a year last year, with the Saints I think.

Look, it's fairly obvious we aren't going to get anyone big. So if you're or were expecting a big signing, you might as well piss and moan now.

Personally, I love all these moves.

Agree 100%

Love the moves too.. adding depth is definitely not a bad thing..

Building through the draft is the way to go, IMO, and I really think Wimbley & D'Qwell will have great years under Rex.. Obviously we do need a playmaker or 2 though..

Definitely wouldn't be surprised if we found more ways to add to our picks.. can definitely see us trading down to add some picks

TheBigLeBronski
03-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Patten is pretty old lol, we arleady have Joe.

Joe was on my basketball team in highschool, i hope he gets healthy and can still play. Sucks he was always so underated in college and the nfl, he is still a beast.

Randolphkeys
03-06-2009, 01:54 AM
Well, if no one else is gonna say it, I will.

ManKok, prove you have some leadership.

Are we really going to spend all this cash on some middling no-names that will be "leaders in the locker room" because they kissed your ass before... and now that you paid them handsomely... will play the role of kissing your ass again? Is this really your plan, because we have seen it before under Butch Davis.

Davis loved drafting UM players waaay too high in order to police his locker room. Is the ManKok going to outbid everyone for lackeys... because I honestly don't see this as a legitimate way to win over the room. I'm a white guy who teaches gang members all day. If I needed to pay ex-gang members who I taught years ago to come in and tell the kids how awesome I am, it wouldn't sail.

Go ahead and grab a Jet or two... that is fine by me... but some real talent is still out there, and they didn't necessarily play for you before. Are you afraid to hire them?

Okay, I'm done.

The Common Man
03-06-2009, 01:58 AM
cool, we're raiding a team that didn't even make the f'n playoffs, and had the 4 pick the year before of their free agents that they don't want! get your super bowl tickets ready. Team ManKok= Fail. Rebuilding in 3 years, i'm calling it.

fudd
03-06-2009, 02:01 AM

Are we really going to spend all this cash on some middling no-names that will be "leaders in the locker room" because they kissed your ass before... and now that you paid them handsomely... will play the role of kissing your ass again? Is this really your plan, because we have seen it before under Butch Davis.

Davis loved drafting UM players waaay too high in order to police his locker room. Is the ManKok going to outbid everyone for lackeys... because I honestly don't see this as a legitimate way to win over the room. I'm a white guy who teaches gang members all day. If I needed to pay ex-gang members who I taught years ago to come in and tell the kids how awesome I am, it wouldn't sail.

Go ahead and grab a Jet or two... that is fine by me... but some real talent is still out there, and they didn't necessarily play for you before. Are you afraid to hire them?

Okay, I'm done.

You might be getting ahead of yourself. You can't expect too much, we're rebuilding, which means we need to fill positions with with something reliable (and temporary) until we can draft a player to fill that position. Why not bring players in that Mangini is familiar with? It doesn't mean they kissed his ass.

You can't expect our franchise to turn around in a month or two. Mankok has a plan, and this is the beginning part of the plan. We just have to suck up and go along with it.

We all know its shity, but what're ya gonna do?

Randolphkeys
03-06-2009, 02:17 AM
You might be getting ahead of yourself. You can't expect too much, we're rebuilding, which means we need to fill positions with with something reliable (and temporary) until we can draft a player to fill that position. Why not bring players in that Mangini is familiar with? It doesn't mean they kissed his ass.

You can't expect our franchise to turn around in a month or two. Mankok has a plan, and this is the beginning part of the plan. We just have to suck up and go along with it.

We all know its shity, but what're ya gonna do?

I'm just saying we have the money to go out and get some locker room leaders and still get a starting talent or two from other organizations. I pity the franchise that only drinks from the straw of thier management's former franchise.

Imagine if Ferry traded for Malik Rose, Speedy Claxton and Rasho Nesterovic in his first year at the helm... just to manage the locker room for Mike Brown. I would have raised a similiar fuss.

Yes, this was a more extreme post from RK than most people are accustomed to, but it is only because I don't want to see Butch Davis all over again. A good franchise never selects players for locker room environment alone. Talent must be present.

WestFo3
03-06-2009, 07:56 AM
cool, we're raiding a team that didn't even make the f'n playoffs, and had the 4 pick the year before of their free agents that they don't want! get your super bowl tickets ready. Team ManKok= Fail. Rebuilding in 3 years, i'm calling it.Who in FA would have helped us? Browns arent going to be very good next year they are going to have a young QB in DA or BQ and a young D. You act like they can just go out and sign top 10 players. Building in the draft is how to do it. If they can draft we are going to be a good team.

MYoung23
03-06-2009, 08:09 AM
How can you add depth when you need like 8 starters?

Big O
03-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Rebuilding?Didn`t the kiddie corp all say we were going to win the Super Bowl last year after going 10-6 the year before?

Prime 1978
03-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Eric Barton would be decent. He is actually an upgrade over everyone besides Jackson

AZ_
03-06-2009, 09:50 AM

Okay, I'm done.

Never again mention the words "Miami players" and "police the locker room" together again. It's an oxymoron.

Butch didn't bring them in because they were ass kissers, he brought them in because he felt they were supremely talented.

Even so, he only took 2 Miami players before the 7th round, so the point shouldn't really resonate with what you're saying anyway.

The guys he's bringing in are veteran guys who play the game the right way, which I have no problem with.

CJ Mosely provides MUCH needed depth on the DL
Eric Barton holds down a MLB spot for 1-2 years so we can develop young talent behind him
Bowens provides depth on the outside after releasing Peek.
Adams was our 2nd best special teams player and a very capable backup S at both spots
David Patten is a veteran possession WR, and while we're breaking in a young QB it's never a bad thing to have around. Even more so considering he's taking the place of Syndric freaking Steptoe.

This team is taking a process that might be shocking to all of us because we haven't seen it done with our own team....it's called building a foundation through the draft, not free agency.

Only 1 of the guys on the list would be penciled in to start (Barton), gone are the days where we fill starting holes with free agents. It's not how the good teams become good, you build a foundation through the draft...NOT free agency.

fudd
03-06-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm just saying we have the money to go out and get some locker room leaders and still get a starting talent or two from other organizations. I pity the franchise that only drinks from the straw of thier management's former franchise.

Imagine if Ferry traded for Malik Rose, Speedy Claxton and Rasho Nesterovic in his first year at the helm... just to manage the locker room for Mike Brown. I would have raised a similiar fuss.

Yes, this was a more extreme post from RK than most people are accustomed to, but it is only because I don't want to see Butch Davis all over again. A good franchise never selects players for locker room environment alone. Talent must be present.

No I get what you mean, but the Cavs had LeBron, so Im not sure we can compare the two. However, look at the tribe. They brought in JMikie and Dellucci until we had young freaks to fill their spots. Its all a process, slow and dreary.

natedagg
03-06-2009, 10:29 AM
The FA talent available to us hasn't been good so far. I like what we are doing...

Does anyone else find ManKok to be just about the funniest name available for our tandem?!? Like right before I slay my girlfriend, she slobs on my ManKok. Totally an urban dictionary type of word. Everyone says it so casually, "I love/hate ManKok", and I sit here and giggle like a 10 year old.

Reno
03-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Agree 100%

Love the moves too.. adding depth is definitely not a bad thing..

Building through the draft is the way to go, IMO, and I really think Wimbley & D'Qwell will have great years under Rex.. Obviously we do need a playmaker or 2 though..

Definitely wouldn't be surprised if we found more ways to add to our picks.. can definitely see us trading down to add some picks

Browns sign a coach named Rex? :gap:

mixman
03-06-2009, 11:19 AM
I know everyone wants starters out of FA but honestly where are they? After Haynesworth and Deangelo Hall there were no big name FA's that could make a long term impact. I would have lliked to see us bring in Greer and Igor but it takes two to tango, if we can add quality depth that will at least give us one thing we never had.

fearthehawk47
03-06-2009, 11:31 AM
ManKok's philosophy is to build through the draft. He has to field a team and why not bring in a bunch of guys that he know will buy into the way he plays? It's not like there are lines and lines of free agents wanting to come to Cleveland. We've interviewed just about every corner/safety, there's a reason none of them have signed a contract with us, and I doubt it's the money. We have absolutely zero depth on our defense and we're signing players that Mangini knows will give 110%, which can't necessarily be said for players on this team in the past.

The Voice
03-06-2009, 01:37 PM

Basketball vs. Football roster is ridiculous to compare. We know the numbers are vastly different.

Furthermore, did you complain when Romeo and Savage brought in their guys from respective teams? i.e. DA, McGinest, Lewis, Baxter, that OL from the Pats (forget his name), ect...

Will you people at least give the duo a chance? I swear, this is like instant... they'll FAIL! Can we be a little more optimistic here? At least give them 2 or 3 years. I'd be happy right now with one playoff spot in the next 3 years.

ACDC_Rocks024
03-06-2009, 03:29 PM
From the Plain Dealer, says we are near signing both Mosley and Bowens...

The agent for free-agent linebacker David Bowens and defensive end C.J. Mosley said the former New York Jets were given physicals during their visits with the Browns on Thursday. That generally means a deal can be near.

KIisKing
03-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Did Igor sign with someone?

Eddie
03-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Did Igor sign with someone?

I know he met with the Cowboys or was going to meet with them. So i'm not sure if our chances are good...

ACDC_Rocks024
03-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Well, Mosley is now a done deal, part one of the Jets' trifecta. As for Igor, I have yet to hear of any signings...

AZ_
03-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Igor inked with the Cowboys...

Real Deal
03-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Mosley, Barton, Bowens > Shaun Smith, Chris Griffin, Shantee Orr

I like the signings, nice depth and better than what we had.

Real Deal
03-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Whoever said Patten had a good season last year needs to check his 2008 stats, you will laugh and change ur mind.

ACDC_Rocks024
03-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Bowens signing is very near. Deal should be announced today or tomorrow from what I hear...

Amherstcavsfan
03-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Whoever said Patten had a good season last year needs to check his 2008 stats, you will laugh and change ur mind.

Patton filled in fine when all the Saints WR'ers went down. Certainly enough for him to be a slot if JJ doesn't come back.

fudd
03-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Basketball vs. Football roster is ridiculous to compare. We know the numbers are vastly different.

Furthermore, did you complain when Romeo and Savage brought in their guys from respective teams? i.e. DA, McGinest, Lewis, Baxter, that OL from the Pats (forget his name), ect...

Will you people at least give the duo a chance? I swear, this is like instant... they'll FAIL! Can we be a little more optimistic here? At least give them 2 or 3 years. I'd be happy right now with one playoff spot in the next 3 years.

Joe Andruzzi. I agree with everything you say. Well put.

MYoung23
03-07-2009, 10:28 PM

Patriots - track record of winning
Ravens - track record of winning

Jets - not so much

TheBigLeBronski
03-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Patriots - track record of winning
Ravens - track record of winning

Jets - not so much

Please take that back, it hurts.

Randolphkeys
03-10-2009, 02:17 AM

Okay, I'm done.

Sorry I never responded to the negative posts to this statement.

By all means, continue bashing my line of thinking post-Poteat.

AZ_
03-10-2009, 10:32 AM
It doesn't really make your statements any less head scratching....