PDA

View Full Version : Jackson to Erie?

pl4tinum
03-18-2009, 11:11 AM
I just read we sent Darnell to Erie again. Is this just to get some work in before the playoffs or what? I thought he was doing a decent job in his limited minutes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-cavaliers-jackson&prov=ap&type=lgns

theSTEREO.
03-18-2009, 11:13 AM
I think MB might be seriously thinking about using him as a backup, and doesn't think he can get the in-game minutes over the next few. They'll likely be close games against the Hawks and Blazers.

Maybe we'll see JJ a little more.

Green Lantern
03-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Another thought is that they need to give JJ minutes and not let him rot..and all the while keep Jackson fresh and ready ..

BigErieCavsFan
03-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Kind of odd considering he was getting more PT than JJ lately, but I love it, as I will probably go to a few more Bayhawk games...

InBoobieWeTrust
03-18-2009, 11:22 AM
I thought DJ performed well recently.

pl4tinum
03-18-2009, 11:22 AM
He's a big dude, we could definitely use him against some of the bigger teams in the playoffs. So I hope it's just a conditioning and game rehab stint.

Brizzle
03-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Kind of odd they'd send him down with Walter hurt. Maybe it means Wally won't miss any time. Or if he does they'll let JJ get some real PT.

PIP
03-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Why not send JJ down ?

Let him actually work on catching the ball in the post and not instantly traveling with it..

Man Called X
03-18-2009, 11:40 AM
I opened this thread expecting to hear about Luke Jackson. Disappointment.

DeepInTheQ!
03-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Our pregame picture will never be the same. :(

Darnell could be are Big Baby in due time.

Gimme Some Mo
03-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Only Mike Brown would....

Have JJ in the rotation

Replace JJ with Darnell in the rotation

and then send Darnell down to the D-league :confused:

action
03-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Our pregame picture will never be the same. :(

A reason for Wally to be in the picture! Of course, his knee will give out, he'll drop Delonte, who will land on his wrist, and a new Cleveland curse will arise : The Photo

action
03-18-2009, 12:22 PM
1 game thing per Windy:

CLEVELAND -- Cavs rookie Darnell Jackson has been assigned to the Erie Bayhawks of the NBA Development League for tonight's 7 p.m. game with the Austin Toros.

Jackson will likely be making just a one-game trip to Erie and be recalled for Thursday's Cavs home game with the Portland Trail Blazers. He made a one-game trip to Erie last month and scored 24 points in a BayHawks' win over the Utah Flash.

The ability to send players for short stints to get some playing time is one of the reasons the Cavs pushed for a D-League franchise close to home. Rookies or second-year players can be sent to the D-League up to three times in a season. The last three years, the Cavs' D-League teams have been in Arkansas, Texas and New Mexico.

Jackson is averaging 1.0 point and 1.2 rebounds in 37 games for the Cavs this season. Recently, he's been a part of coach Mike Brown's rotation in place of fellow rookie J.J. Hickson.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/03/cavs_send_jackson_to_dleague.html

InBoobieWeTrust
03-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Probably just wants to get DJ some playing time before Portland tomorrow...they have a solid group of bigs who we may need to throw Darnell at for a few minutes.

wuck
03-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Edit: man, i can't read.

wuck
03-18-2009, 04:19 PM
earlier post was a repeat, so here's a picture of jackson in erie.

http://www.goerie.thinkhost.com/mt/giveandgo/jacksonhawks0210.jpg

jim jim
Thank god, that young man needs to go get some experience.

Chardon
This is kind of late in the season. Do they plan on signing some one?

Silky Smooth
03-18-2009, 04:24 PM
It should be a one game thing just so he can keep up with the game pace.

TheBigLeBronski
03-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Probably just to get him some minutes, and some more confidence so Brown can use him some more. I think if they ever sent JJ to the DLeague it would crush his confidence.

NarlCavs
03-18-2009, 04:37 PM
This is kind of late in the season. Do they plan on signing some one?

Just to clear up. Players under contract assigned to the D League still count on the active roster.
Jackson being sent to Erie doesn't open up a spot.

It does appear it another 1 game trip for DJ just to get him some bigger minutes.

hendo24
03-18-2009, 08:07 PM
So what has JJ done to get in the doghouse again?

DJ has played over him in two straight games now, so obviously Brown is sending yet another message to JJ, but I haven't heard what it's about?

Anyone know?

Chardon
03-18-2009, 08:09 PM
earlier post was a repeat, so here's a picture of jackson in erie.

http://www.goerie.thinkhost.com/mt/giveandgo/jacksonhawks0210.jpg

His arm pits look disgusting.

Radar
03-18-2009, 09:04 PM

DJ has played over him in two straight games now, so obviously Brown is sending yet another message to JJ, but I haven't heard what it's about?

Anyone know?

Basically,from what i learned this season is that jj is a poor defender and still makes "rookie" mistakes and has defense breaks down(i seen what MB means)...Most of the times he looks lost and hurts us even more defensively while jackson is a good defender...MB didnt want to play jj as much as he has this season but it seemed ferry wanted MB to give jj more time...I agree with what MB is doing,which is not playing him big mins while jj still has a lot to learn...We cant afford those rookie mistakes since it can cost us some games

Can someone back me up on this,b/c i believe i have read that some where on these boards??

Maximus
03-18-2009, 09:04 PM

Anyone know?

JJ has the tendancy to act like a 19 or 20 year old...which he is. He sometimes puts in only the effort required, like most kids his age. He also has the tendancy to make dumb mistakes, like most kids his age.

Darnell is more mature. He's also a realist. He knows he will have to work hard to be a long term contributor in the league....he doesn't have the natural gifts of JJ so it will take a lot of effort.
There's usually a few players, trainers and assistants grabbing a beer and watching the end of the late games in the weightroom after most games. Every time I have been in there, one player has always been there lifting for a good 90mins postgame...and that's Darnell. I think he is now being rewarded for his effort. Simultaneously I think they are trying to light a fire under the ass of JJ. Mike isn't going to reward JJ just on raw talent alone. It's going to take effort and work. I think JJ will get there as he gets older, he is a very talented kid...it will just take time.

By the way, DJ had 15pts and 6 rebs in 25 mins tonight. 5/9FG & 5/6FT.

He's on his way back for tomorrow's game...

Gordon Bombay
03-18-2009, 09:18 PM

is it bad that the first thing i thought of after reading this line was "oh thank god...we need him for the team picture"

i was legitimately concerned lol

The George
03-18-2009, 09:20 PM
thanks Max...

Does the organization think that Jack is a long term piece? Is he capable of becoming a guy that contributes to this team over the years becoming a Ben Wallace type for us?

If so Danny Ferry desrves some serious props for finding some gems in last years draft

xAusT1n
03-18-2009, 09:21 PM
aww man i thought u were talking about

Luke "The Prodigy" Jackson

not DJ....this is upsetting

MYoung23
03-18-2009, 09:22 PM
JJ has the tendancy to act like a 19 or 20 year old...which he is. He sometimes puts in only the effort required, like most kids his age. He also has the tendancy to make dumb mistakes, like most kids his age.

Darnell is more mature. He's also a realist. He knows he will have to work hard to be a long term contributor in the league....he doesn't have the natural gifts of JJ so it will take a lot of effort.
There's usually a few players, trainers and assistants grabbing a beer and watching the end of the late games in the weightroom after most games. Every time I have been in there, one player has always been there lifting for a good 90mins postgame...and that's Darnell. I think he is now being rewarded for his effort. Simultaneously I think they are trying to light a fire under the ass of JJ. Mike isn't going to reward JJ just on raw talent alone. It's going to take effort and work. I think JJ will get there as he gets older, he is a very talented kid...it will just take time.

By the way, DJ had 15pts and 6 rebs in 25 mins tonight. 5/9FG & 5/6FT.

Why is he still chubby?

Pioneer10
03-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Why is he still chubby?
Lifting weights instead of the hitting treadmill?

Maximus
03-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Does the organization think that Jack is a long term piece? Is he capable of becoming a guy that contributes to this team over the years becoming a Ben Wallace type for us?

He has the potential to be a guy who can be physical, grab some boards and hit a short jumper. Main point of my last post was that he appears willing to put in the effort to try and stick long term.

Why is he still chubby?

Not following the P90X diet? Genetics? :dunno:

Seriously, I think that was an issue earlier in the season when he wasn't 100% healthy, but now he's looking pretty solid...he's far from "chubby". I think he's listened to some of the vets who are trying to guide him....it's paying off.

WestFo3
03-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Edit: man, i can't read.
I can get you some help with that. I got a great teacher you can go to.

Wulfgar1224
03-18-2009, 10:00 PM
I think that it is probably best that he's gone there. He really isn't going to get any time with the Cavs the rest of the year. Jackson is what he is. He is a second round pick that has a ceiling as a role player.

chiefwahoo
03-18-2009, 10:26 PM
I think that it is probably best that he's gone there. He really isn't going to get any time with the Cavs the rest of the year. Jackson is what he is. He is a second round pick that has a ceiling as a role player.

Umm, he'll be back for tomorrow's game against the Blazers... this was strictly a one game trip for DJ.

MYoung23
03-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Umm, he'll be back for tomorrow's game against the Blazers... this was strictly a one game trip for DJ.

Hopefully, they wont have him trying to guard Travis Outlaw like the game in Portland.

tedginnjr
03-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Why not send JJ down ?

Let him actually work on catching the ball in the post and not instantly traveling with it..

Not sure JJ could emotionally handle getting sent down...

Just the completely uninformed impression I get...

MYoung23
03-18-2009, 11:12 PM
From what Ive read about the DLeague it is not the right learning environment for Hickson. He would put up numbers but necessarily work on what he needs to.

chiefwahoo
03-19-2009, 02:41 PM
He is already back as expected...

Cavs recall Darnell Jackson from Erie; Wally Szczerbiak update
by Brian Windhorst/Plain Dealer Reporter
Thursday March 19, 2009, 12:34 PM

CLEVELAND -- The Cavs recalled Darnell Jackson from the Erie BayHawks from the NBA Development League on Thursday. He will play tonight against the Portland Trail Blazers at The Q.

Jackson scored 15 points with six rebounds in 26 minutes in the BayHawks' win over the Austin Toros on Wednesday night.

At shootaround this morning, Cavs coach Mike Brown said both Daniel Gibson and Tarence Kinsey will probably be in the rotation against the Blazers in place of injured Wally Szczerbiak. Gibson hasn't played in the last two games.

Szczerbiak said he's feeling much better and is hoping to be back sooner than the 2-3 weeks team doctors suggested he'd miss with his left knee sprain.

"I am feeling much better today and I don't think I'll be out that long," Szczerbiak said. "But I am going to be smart and safe, especially with that knee."

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/03/cavs_recall_darnell_jackson_fr.html