PDA

View Full Version : Mo Williams takes the blame for the Game 1 loss

-KingofKings23-
05-22-2009, 12:15 PM
INDEPENDENCE — Mo Williams was willing and able to fall on the sword.

Some think the Cavaliers point guard might have been too hard on himself after Game 1.

The Cavs succumbed to the Orlando Magic, 107-106, as Williams converted just 6 of 19 shots en route to his 17 points.

Afterward, he blamed the loss on himself. While Cavs forward LeBron James was being asked about the stagnant offense — he did his thing with 49 points, while his teammates stood and watched — Williams chimed in.

"The biggest key to the game was (me)," he said. "I have to take pressure off (James).

"I look at myself, 6 of 19. LeBron is 20 of 30 from the field. I don't care. He can go one-on-one all he wants. I got 19 shots. It wasn't him."

The 6-foot-1, 190-pounder is shooting 31.6 percent from the field and 25 percent from 3-point range in the Eastern Conference finals.

At first glance, his postseason numbers aren't bad — 15 points, 4.6 assists and 2.7 rebounds. But upon further inspection, Williams is shooting 42.4 percent from the floor and 35.5 percent from behind the arc.

He said the off shooting night won't linger. It just gets him motivated for Game 2 at 8:30 tonight at Quicken Loans Arena.:thumbup:

"It's simple: Make shots and be a threat on the floor," Williams said. "There were points in the game where I wasn't a threat. If I'm on the floor, I feel I have to be a threat."

He said it wasn't that he took poor shots.

"The coaches did a great job of getting me open," he said. "The rest is up to me to make plays for myself and my teammates. I thought I struggled to make plays for myself."

He didn't struggle making the 67-foot, 3-point bomb at the first-half buzzer.

However, his 17-foot desperation heave as time expired in the game was off the mark.

"I saw the ball bounce off the rim," he said. "I just wanted to get up an attempt."

Cavs coach Mike Brown said Williams is a stand-up guy.

"If he doesn't shoot well, in his mind, he's a guy who will step up to the plate and tell it how it is," he said. "We believe in him. If he gets those looks again, we're confident he will knock them down."

James, who set a franchise record with his 49-point effort, wants to divert the spotlight from Williams, if possible.

"I always tell Mo, 'I'll take care of the pressure. You just go out and play,'" he said. "Mo is just that type of guy. He's the type of individual who didn't think he did enough. I think he did. He's hard on himself. You always want to be able to critique yourself.

"He played a great game. He didn't shoot the ball particularly well, but he had a good all-around game."

Williams added five assists, four rebounds and one steal in 42 minutes.

His backcourt mate, Delonte West, didn't have a great night shooting the ball, either. He was 4 of 13 from the field en route to 11 points, six assists, four steals and one rebound. Together, they were 10 of 32.

The rest of the team was 33 of 56.

Williams was asked if Game 2 is a must win.

"My grandma knows that," he said. :thumbup:

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2009/05/22/sports/mj1078676.txt

No loss should be thrown on one person. There is no I in team.

FeedTheBeast
05-22-2009, 01:17 PM
No loss should be thrown on one person. There is no I in team.

But there is a ME. ;)

cdt
05-22-2009, 01:21 PM
It shows he's accountable and is into the game. I'd much rather see that frustration within himself and the desire to do better in the next game than some old cliche we've heard a million times about playing well as a team.

Just go out and bust their ass fellas. We know we're capable.

Man Called X
05-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Those are the words of a man who is going to come out possessed. Failure can breed greatness.

pl4tinum
05-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Fact is, Mo did play a pretty crappy game, and it's nice to see some accountability. I just hope he can bring it against Orlando, at some point at least, during this series.

Maximus
05-22-2009, 01:28 PM
There is no I in team.

Cali says there is an "I"....and an "X"...even a "7". :chuckles:

SoundBreaker
05-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Mo bout to go IN tonight :D

C'mon MO GOTTI we NEED YOU!!!!!!

:yay:

Mdog1
05-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I hope Mo comes out looking for his shot. when he does that I love it and would you like to know why? Well i'll tell you why. When Mo looks for his shot he gets it going early and then the entire team is energized by it. I exxpect a win tonight and it will happen.

Man Called X
05-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Apparently Mo got my message that if they lose tonight, my knees are going for their nuts.

-KingofKings23-
05-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Mo is going to go off tonight for 30. You heard it here first!

Splitz
05-22-2009, 01:56 PM
He will attempt to outdo himself by shooting a last second buzzer beater from underneath the opposing basket.

cdt
05-22-2009, 01:58 PM
It's bullshit, that should have been a 4 pointer anyway...Game 1 is tied let's finish it at 8pm and start Game 2 at 8.30pm

-KingofKings23-
05-22-2009, 01:59 PM
It's bullshit, that should have been a 4 pointer anyway...Game 1 is tied let's finish it at 8pm and start Game 2 at 8.30pm

Yeah half court should be a 4 or 5 point basket. Lol

Green Lantern
05-22-2009, 02:18 PM
We need Mo to have one of those 40pt games he had....and West to hit 25..all in the same night with whatever Lebron scores...like 35...:king:

action
05-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Don't worry boys, Mo's got his jam locked on repeat:

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-8962844441700518135&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

chrisrich91
05-22-2009, 02:26 PM
We need Mo to have one of those 40pt games he had....and West to hit 25..all in the same night with whatever Lebron scores...like 35...:king:

That's 100 pts right there.

Final score: 147-86 Cleveland. :D

RchfldCavRaised
05-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Mike Tyson stole all of Mo's thunder on this.

How in the hell is Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight" about to become the new in thing? Dont get me wrong, I love me some Philly C and he gets play in the hood, but still

Man Called X
05-22-2009, 02:29 PM

How in the hell is Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight" about to become the new in thing? Dont get me wrong, I love me some Philly C and he gets play in the hood, but still

Because no one has any originality so we just rehash shit constantly.

RchfldCavRaised
05-22-2009, 02:30 PM
*New Star Trek movie stands up and leaves the room

Man Called X
05-22-2009, 02:32 PM
*New Star Trek movie stands up and leaves the room

How many 80's cartoons have ended up being movies? Did we really need 3 new Star Wars? Now the big thing is comic book movies.

Spoof movies went away for about 8 years, and now they are back in full force and even shittier since they aren't Mel Brooks.

Hell, Family Guy is just one big 80s pop reference after another. Fashion does the same thing. Music does the same thing.

samtheman67
05-22-2009, 02:46 PM

hahah does Phil really get play in the hood rchfld? and last i check you live in the suburbs going on business trips and shit.. you remind me of chicity haha

Randolphkeys
05-22-2009, 03:13 PM
I was very skeptical of the New Star Trek. I flat-out told the little lady I'm not going. Then, she took her mom to the movie and swore it was the best action movie she has seen in a while. I officially negotiated seeing New Star Trek on an IMAX 3D screen, her treat, only when there is no NBA playoff game on.

IMAX is the ish... any crappy action movie becomes kick ass in 3D.

Shakalu M.D.
05-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I was very skeptical of the New Star Trek. I flat-out told the little lady I'm not going. Then, she took her mom to the movie and swore it was the best action movie she has seen in a while. I officially negotiated seeing New Star Trek on an IMAX 3D screen, her treat, only when there is no NBA playoff game on.

IMAX is the ish... any crappy action movie becomes kick ass in 3D.

I saw it at an IMAX, it was flat out amazing. A good half of the movie is CGI too, which makes it even better.

Back to the Cavs, it wasn't just Mo. I would be happy if we got at least a LITTLE bench production besides Joe.

MoFlo
05-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Scottie Pippen game 1 of the '91 Finals:

41 minutes, 7-19 FG, 0-2 3's, 5-7 FT, 19 pts, 7 reb, 5 assists, 1 stl, 2 blks, 3 to, 5 fouls

Mo Williams game 1:

42 minutes, 6-19 FG, 2-8 3's, 3-3 FT, 17 pts, 4 reb, 5 assists, 1 stl, 0 blks, 1 to, 4 fouls

Pippen Game 2:

44 minutes, 8-16 FG, 4-4 FT, 20 pts, 5 rebs, 10 assists

Pippen rest of series (Games 2-5):

44.3 mpg, 32-67 FG (47.8%), 1-3 3's (33.3%), 20-22 FT (90.1%), 21.3 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 7.0 apg, 2.75 spg, .75 bpg, 4.23 topg

Mo's fine :thumbup:

MoFlo
05-22-2009, 03:33 PM
I saw it at an IMAX, it was flat out amazing. A good half of the movie is CGI too, which makes it even better.

Back to the Cavs, it wasn't just Mo. I would be happy if we got at least a LITTLE bench production besides Joe.

I'd have been happy if Joe could've rebounded while Z was on the bench in the 2nd half last night..

That's the only reason Z was in so much in the 2nd half

Not knocking on Joe, he's been our best bench player in the playoffs, but Z can't be out there for that many minutes in the 2nd half, he's just way too slow.. but when he's out, we have to get on the glass!

camakazee
05-22-2009, 03:38 PM
hahah does Phil really get play in the hood rchfld? and last i check you live in the suburbs going on business trips and shit.. you remind me of chicity haha

Uh oh. Questioning rchfld's hood-ness. This cannot end well...

Show em your report card, rch.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee46/GhettoReportDVD/GhettoReportCard.jpg?t=1243021021

samtheman67
05-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Uh oh. Questioning rchfld's hood-ness. This cannot end well...

Show em your report card, rch.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee46/GhettoReportDVD/GhettoReportCard.jpg?t=1243021021

LOL!!! e40

RchfldCavRaised
05-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Sam is my guy guy (I typed that to be read like Carmello talks, putting effort into being "hood" at all times, even in excitement when he'd rather squeal like a girl and hop round happy)

I might live in the "Leave it to Beaver" suburbs of Nashville, but inside these walls its like East Cleveland up in this mofo.

I almost got shot for eating the last of the ice cream last night:chuckles:

Smooth
05-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Looks like Mo's pretty confident he'll bounce back, along with the team:

Mo Williams came with the bulletin board material today before practice.

"I don't feel this team can beat us four times," he said. And then reiterated to make sure we heard him, "I don't see them beating us four times."

bucksprime99
05-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Didn't he hurt his shoulder a while back?

I wonder if that's bothering him? His shot hasn't looked that great (within 60 feet of the basket) lately...

Gordon Bombay
05-22-2009, 05:12 PM
i love mo's attitude. i hope he rips someones head off tonight...literally - lets start with dwight and then move onto van douche on the sidelines

Amherstcavsfan
05-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Looks like Mo's pretty confident he'll bounce back, along with the team:

I'm all for taking responsibility for the loss...but Mo really needs to start shutting his mouth and just play the damn game.

steveo
05-22-2009, 05:59 PM
It wasn't really that bad a game. Everyone is only gonna remember the last second shots. And to be honest you cant win a tip to another player and hit a shot with 1.1 left. Its just impossible. You can't hate on the man for that. I was calling for Lebron to just win the tip and hit the shot, in the same motion. It is basically the only way to do it.
I told people in stands to look for it..

Why wasn't that tried?

MikeSwim07
05-22-2009, 06:15 PM
6/19 = 32 percent... You really think that is good?

I just don't see why Lebron didn't take the last shot seeing as he was hot the whole night.

Amherstcavsfan
05-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Way to come out firing in game 2 Mo...:thumbdown

PIP
05-22-2009, 10:05 PM
We haven't heard the Mo Gotti theme... :(

Snap out of it, Mo...

cdt
05-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Mo is looking more like JR Bremer than himself lately..getting ripped, bricking wideopen 3's...

If he was playing average we'd be up 15 and up 1-0 in this series

cdt
05-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Left the wideopen 3 on the table, he keeps challenging Howard he's like 4-16...

Another turnover...

Gimme some Boobie Gibson

peeps112
05-22-2009, 10:37 PM
mo needs to get his head out of his butt he is playing like an idiot and cant hit the broadside of a barn. better stop talking and start getting with it. that applies to our whole team and especially mike brown, who hasnt figured out that varejao cant guard rashard lewis.

Chardon
05-22-2009, 10:43 PM
He is playing amazing tonight so far.

CavsRules
05-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Gimme some Boobie Gibson

http://i42.tinypic.com/2jb9nix.jpg

:yay:

Chris
05-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Mo is just a waste. He is the reason we dont win this series if we lose.

If he comes back, we win. If not, we lose.

LeBeastJames
05-22-2009, 11:09 PM
What the **** has this impostor done with Mo Williams? This is the Mo Williams that was a killer in the regular season clutch and now he can't even do shit in regular playoff time? Come on. Mo Williams has been abducted.

Or else, he just needs to get his ****ing shit together, we go down 0-2 and we don't win.

Man Called X
05-23-2009, 03:23 AM
Mo is just a waste. He is the reason we dont win this series if we lose.

If he comes back, we win. If not, we lose.

You are more pessimistic than any other person I have ever met in my entire life, myself included. Tell you what, I'll keep cheering for "the waste." You can go to CavFanatic.com.

tedginnjr
05-23-2009, 03:32 AM
Mo really does have to step his game up. It's kinda hard to complain because it's not like it's lack of focus, lack of hustle, etc. He just is missing open jumpshots that he normally hits. But if he were just shooting average so far this series, we'd be looking at a 2-0 lead and it wouldn't be so damn stressful. Nice to see him come through with some big shots in the 4th, though.

PIP
05-23-2009, 03:36 AM
Seriously, the Mo Williams bashing is just ridiculous... Some of the stuff that was in that game thread was uncalled for and just stupid...

The guy has been there for the Cavs all season, and has busted his ass in both games, trying to do little things to help the team in any way possible... He's not forcing things in a selfish manner like Hughes used to do... He knows this team needs his scoring, and he's simply missing wide open shots and is trying to get some buckets to go down to help the squad... At no point have I thought Mo's play was selfish in any of these games..

I have no issues with Mo because you can tell he's giving it everything he's got, but the results aren't there.... That emotion he showed after the game shows just how much he cares...

3 Da Hard Way
05-23-2009, 03:47 AM
ditto

shots jut not falling for mo gotti these first two games....but he still found a way to come up big late in the game with that 3 bomb and the floater in the lane over howard to push it to 3.

MJA1080
05-23-2009, 03:47 AM
I hope Mo steps it up on game 3. I personally get pumped up seeing him yell and scream after hitting a shot. He's got so much energy, and I think that's what the team needs. Plus a clutch 3 can really quiet down the Orlando crowd.

Gimme Some Mo
05-23-2009, 03:49 AM
Seriously, the Mo Williams bashing is just ridiculous... Some of the stuff that was in that game thread was uncalled for and just stupid...

The guy has been there for the Cavs all season, and has busted his ass in both games, trying to do little things to help the team in any way possible... He's not forcing things in a selfish manner like Hughes used to do... He knows this team needs his scoring, and he's simply missing wide open shots and is trying to get some buckets to go down to help the squad... At no point have I thought Mo's play was selfish in any of these games..

I have no issues with Mo because you can tell he's giving it everything he's got, but the results aren't there.... That emotion he showed after the game shows just how much he cares...

Thank you and every word you said was true. If you people are going to bash Mo, then you have to bash West too. At least Mo hit 2 big shots down the stretch tonight.

I honestly think the long layoffs are killing Mo and Delonte. Their strokes are just off. Mo is shooting a Tracy McGrady like line drive shot. He used to shoot with a pretty big arc. I hope the coaching staff is noticing this.

The only thing that pisses me off was Mo opening his mouth saying they can't beat us 4 times. He should have never said that. And since he said that and followed it up with a bad performance, he did deserve some bashing.

poo199
05-23-2009, 03:52 AM
Gotti gotta up his fg% if we wanna win this series

Jon
05-23-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm glad I haven't read the game thread ...

samtheman67
05-23-2009, 11:24 AM

Its hillarious people are asking to trade him saying he isnt a legit scoring option ... lol .. I warned of this in the prior playoff series that he looked off and we need his A game to beat these top teams.. I mean hes missing WIDE OPEN 3s.. not even a hand NEAR HIM .. those used to be layups

Eddie
05-23-2009, 11:27 AM

I haven't either, but more so because for some reason i couldn't get on the site last night after the game.

As for Mo, the good thing we can take from this is that he has been struggling but the series is tied 1-1. If Mo plays well in Orlando we have a chance to take both of these games imo.

samtheman67
05-23-2009, 11:31 AM
I haven't either, but more so because for some reason i couldn't get on the site last night after the game.

As for Mo, the good thing we can take from this is that he has been struggling but the series is tied 1-1. If Mo plays well in Orlando we have a chance to take both of these games imo.

People are looking at it as if we should be down 2-0 but it very well could have been 2-0 for us too if Rashard misses that shot.. Lets hope the magic stop cheesing and hitting every 3, while our guys stop missing every 3 lol

Bob Loblaw
05-23-2009, 11:33 AM

I can't read them anymore...people get too emotional and say dumb things. Good post by PIP.

Mdog1
05-23-2009, 12:24 PM
I noticed this and told my dog (I don't think she understood) Mo is shooting VERY fast. Much faster than I have ever seen him shoot before and it is possibly the reason his shot is not falling.

The Oi
05-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Laimbeer pointed out that Mo is drifting left on his jumper.

MikeSwim07
05-23-2009, 12:28 PM
The thing that I like about Mo is that when he had a bad possession on the offensive end, he usually makes it up with some great defense.

Dr. Gymbo
05-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Agreeing with the Mo support, I too stay away from game threads once the game starts. It's not the offense that's hurting us. We're still putting up huge amounts of points. It's the defense that's lacking. I would rather subtract 10 points from our offense, if it meant reducing the Magic by 15. This team has to figure out a way to stop Orlando defensively. We've seen flashes, but they fizzle out in the second halves of both games.

The law of averages does say that Orlando cannot stay hot, but they're going to their home court, where I would expect them to shoot better. It's instinct to try to double someone, it's how the Cavs play defense in the paint, but they are just going to have to concede some close range attacks and fouls to Howard. These games are too close and I'd take my chance with 0-2 points from Howard versus getting Hedo/Rashard into a 3-point shooting rhythm.

Jon
05-23-2009, 05:51 PM
How many playoff disasters did it take for Melo to finally shine in a playoff series?

We need Mo, Delonte, someone to step-up, but hey at the very least Mo is providing the bulk scoring we would have gotten from Larry Hughes when he managed to limp out on the court.

I still don't get why we don't run the P&R more with Mo and Andy so we can take advantage of Howard laying back. If Mo hits a few of those mid range shots maybe he could find his rhythm as well as a comfort zone (a go to play).

If it does start clicking for Mo, he'll truly become a special player, but as I said this is really his first taste of performing at the highest level.

Gimme Some Mo
05-23-2009, 05:55 PM
I noticed this and told my dog (I don't think she understood) Mo is shooting VERY fast. Much faster than I have ever seen him shoot before and it is possibly the reason his shot is not falling.

His shot is flat. He usually shoots it with a pretty big arc. That is the problem I see.

I know he hurt his shoulder, but did he injure his arms at some point this season too? Why did he start wearing the double arm sleeves?

-KingofKings23-
05-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Blaming Mo for all this crap is just wrong. Hes in a slump but all players are in them sometimes. He has to shoot to try and get out of the slump.