PDA

View Full Version : LeBron fined 25k for leaving early after game 6 loss

WildThing
06-04-2009, 08:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4232264

While he does the right thing 99% of the time, this was one of the few times he messed up.

Hopefully he just accepts this to learn and mature. I mean, if Kobe was talking to the press after losing by 30+ to the Celtics, LeBron should talk to them too. Glad he realizes it was a mistake, and hopefully this isn't remembered 10 years from now. People still mention Isiah being a sore loser when he's brought up, and that's been awhile.

breanna
06-04-2009, 08:33 PM
I knew this was coming sooner or later.

Spencer Hawes
06-04-2009, 08:34 PM
I other news, Kobe was fined $3 million for cheating on his wife.

Walter White
06-04-2009, 08:34 PM
F U STERN!

WildThing
06-04-2009, 08:35 PM
I other news, Kobe was fined $3 million for cheating on his wife.

stay classy, Cleveland. :chuckles:

blank964
06-04-2009, 08:36 PM
We knew this was coming...I just wanted the media to chill the **** out about it.

Nicky
:wtf:

LondonCav
At least this whole bandwagon against LBJ is over.

NBA are like a pack of wolves at times..

RchfldCavRaised
06-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Motivation

That could have been 250 pairs of LeBrons for Lil Bron and Bryce's feet.

Wes
06-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Pretty standard procedure by the NBA, as I believe this is the same amount they have fined other people in the past for a similar offense.

At least with the Finals starting tonight, there will be other NBA stuff for people to talk about, so this whole thing with LBJ should pretty much disappear.

Chris
06-04-2009, 08:44 PM
$25k? Daaaaamn.

blank964
06-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Motivation

That could have been 250 pairs of LeBrons for Lil Bron and Bryce's feet.

Wouldn't/shouldn't Bron get his own shoes for free? :chuckles:

West Remy
06-04-2009, 08:53 PM
To be brutally frank, I never gave a shit about this entire incident. I'm glad it's over.

TAS
06-04-2009, 08:57 PM
LeBron earns $ 39,481.04 / day. I don't know how he is going to survive for the rest of the day with $14,000 .:rolleyes:

Juice22
06-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Lebron made 40 Million last year, 25K is pocket Change. He can make it back just by doing an State Farn commercial.

thecrowning
06-04-2009, 09:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4232264

I mean, if Kobe was talking to the press after losing by 30+ to the Celtics, LeBron should talk to them too.

Why is "kobe" a measuring stick? Kobe threw everybody under the bus after 07', should Lebron do the same this year?

InBoobieWeTrust
06-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Good. Those are the rules, the NBA followed them, LeBron is about .0000000000000002% poorer, and the issue is FINISHED.

WildThing
06-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Why is "kobe" a measuring stick? Kobe threw everybody under the bus after 07', should Lebron do the same this year?

Sorry, my point is that most superstars talk to the media, despite big losses.

Not saying Kobe is anywhere near perfect, that's for sure.

The Oi
06-04-2009, 10:05 PM
He should be fined and will be fined. Hopefully it'll stop coming up every time I innocently turn on ESPN to try to see what Cowherd is saying and/or check a score.

-KingofKings23-
06-04-2009, 10:09 PM
For me, there goes a year of hard work. For LeBron thats a solid days of work.

Splitz
06-04-2009, 10:21 PM
This Lebron guy clearly has character issues..

-KingofKings23-
06-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Kobe at halftime......

"This is very compettative game, LeBron was clearly frustrated that they lost. We are all human and I think the media needs to get off of his back".

Im not sure thats word for word but thats what I could remember from the interview with Magic.

breanna
06-04-2009, 11:35 PM
NBA Commissioner David Stern fined $25,000 LeBron James for his actions
by Brian Windhorst/Plain Dealer Reporter
Thursday June 04, 2009, 11:02 PM

Plain Dealer File
LeBron James was fined $25,000 for not talking to the media after the Game 6 loss in Orlando.Upon further review, LeBron James' decision not to shake hands with the Orlando Magic or speak to the media after Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals is going to cost him. And more than just on the sports talk shows.
NBA Commissioner David Stern announced before Game 1 of the NBA finals on Thursday that he had decided to fine James $25,000 for his actions. This was after Stern initially said on Monday that James would not be fined. Stern informed James, who is recovering from surgery to remove a growth from his right jaw, in a phone call on Wednesday.

"[LeBron] expressed to me that when he left the building and did not meet the media or did not congratulate the Magic, he was wrong," Stern said. "He'll be talking to you I assume directly as he gets better and stronger, but he asked that I express to the media, the Magic and the fans his apology, and particularly the young fans, because he knows he has a responsibility to all of our fans, and that sportsmanship is appropriate whether you win or whether you lose."

This is the first time in James' career he's faced any sort of discipline of this nature from the league. It probably did not help James' case that he was not repentant about the matter when he did discuss it with the media on Sunday. The NBA has fined players in the past for skipping media sessions, including Michael Jordan.

"The more I thought about it I thought there were two things we had to deal with, which was the media and the failure to congratulate," Stern said. "LeBron and I discussed it, and I'll leave the rest for him to talk about, but I think it was important. Certainly as it related to the media, we have a rule, you guys know that we've had some interesting issues over the years with some of our coaches and the like, and it was inappropriate for me to give someone a pass here."

See more in Cavaliers, LeBron, NBA, Sports Impact

source: http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/06/nba_commissioner_david_stern_f.html

InBoobieWeTrust
06-04-2009, 11:42 PM
I know it doesn't matter because these guys make so much money....BUT..

with all the media outcry about him not getting fined initially, they all referred to Shaq during the Finals 2 years ago. They said that the league needs to fine LeBron to be fair.

Well, Shaq only got fined $10k. How much do you want to bet that there will be no mention that LeBron had to pay more than double what Shaq paid, which I don't consider "fair".

cav jvl
06-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Lebron made the right move. He was too upset and would have had very damaging comments causing permanent problems. Better to leave, say nothing and pay the fine. Now they can move on and get better.

Wulfgar1224
06-05-2009, 12:07 AM
LeBron probably deserved the fine since he broke NBA rules. Frankly, though, I think it is time for people to let this go. It is over.

Chris
06-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Kobe: "Get off LeBron's back about it."

For once, I agree with Kobe.

breanna
06-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Kobe at halftime......

"This is very compettative game, LeBron was clearly frustrated that they lost. We are all human and I think the media needs to get off of his back".

Im not sure thats word for word but thats what I could remember from the interview with Magic.

Kobe I agree.

Maximus
06-05-2009, 12:31 AM
He should be fined and will be fined.

Check out the "location" of this jackass. Anyone else think I should ban this troll? :mad:

Randolphkeys
06-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Check out the "location" of this jackass. Anyone else think I should ban this troll? :mad:

His IP address reveals that he is inside Max's Mom at the monent.

futuristxen
06-05-2009, 01:29 AM
To be brutally frank, I never gave a shit about this entire incident. I'm glad it's over.

Haha. That's so adoreable. It isn't over. Anytime the media talks about Lebron for the rest of the offseason, they are going to bring this up and try and pile on him.

If there's one thing Sports Media is good for, it's faked righteous indignation.

kriegz
06-05-2009, 04:30 AM
He makes that each week babysitting lil desmond

Northstar
06-05-2009, 04:41 AM
Kobe was actually correct about something for once.

Man Called X
06-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Um I'm with Bill Simmons on this. It's time for players to stop acting like every god damn opponent is their best friend. **** the handshakes, **** the media.

Stern is just pissed off that the media has been jumping his back for the past week. Stern is by far the weakest ****er I've ever seen in professional sports. I cannot wait until the day he dies, and suddenly some relative becomes the commissioner. I'll be more than happy to quit watching the NBA like I've done before.

Stern is a jackass, and the sooner he realizes that he doesn't run the game, the better.

His lifetime commissioner bullshit has gotten extremely old. It's time for someone else to fix the drafts.

Sir Charles Barkley
06-05-2009, 05:42 AM
Um I'm with Bill Simmons on this. It's time for players to stop acting like every god damn opponent is their best friend. **** the handshakes, **** the media.

Stern is just pissed off that the media has been jumping his back for the past week. Stern is by far the weakest ****er I've ever seen in professional sports. I cannot wait until the day he dies, and suddenly some relative becomes the commissioner. I'll be more than happy to quit watching the NBA like I've done before.

Stern is a jackass, and the sooner he realizes that he doesn't run the game, the better.

His lifetime commissioner bullshit has gotten extremely old. It's time for someone else to fix the drafts.

THIS is the post of the morning.

Green Lantern
06-05-2009, 08:18 AM
I haven't said much about this..but I stand by what I said ..I really don't care if he didn't shake anyones hand..and when I heard Stern's comment..or rather the Emperior(penguin) remarks..I still he's just as full of crap as I always have..

JayDub
06-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Stern has always been about PR and the way the league is viewed. With Goddell in NFL taking a hard line and cleaning up that leagues image it only makes sense for stern to follow suit to some extent. This is status quo.

This was all blown out of proportion nobody wants to hang around and wait to shake someones while they celebrate a victory. F that. Not talking to the media was probably the bigger of the infractions in the NBAs eyes.

MikeSwim07
06-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Why is it a rule that the players must talk to the media? I don't get it

bucksprime99
06-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Why is it a rule that the players must talk to the media? I don't get it

Because if the media turns against the NBA, it's dead. The media can make or break any sport.

Dr. Gymbo
06-05-2009, 12:01 PM
I'll say it again: F*ck the media. I appreciate Kobe supporting LeBron though. It's tough, I agree with LeBron ditching the media, I even can understand why he didn't show "proper sportsmanship" as defined by the NBA and the media. We all make mistakes, I have no doubt LeBron learned from this experience and will continue to grow as a player and a person. The dude's only 3 months older than me. It's not like he's a 32 year old veteran snarling from the bench at opposing players, or punching people in the face at the end of a game, or elbowing someone in the nuts. But that's okay when you're the commissioner's favorite team: F*ck Stern too.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/19507/62912_aptopix_bulls_celtics_basketball.jpg

http://swamigp.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/3dd57b37-738f-44c9-8abc-a12099e3fcb2.jpg

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/mcmanamon/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/allen-varejao.jpg

NarlCavs
06-05-2009, 02:16 PM
The fine is only about not speaking with the media, it has nothing to do with the whole handshake thing. NBA players are required to be available to speak with the media so the fine is actually justifiable.

Stern isn't perfect and I don't agree with everything he's done but I don't have a major problem with him. He has done a lot of good things for the NBA too and steered the league through some major issues.

Ajak0410
06-05-2009, 03:07 PM
This is a major setback in Lebron's quest to become a billionaire. The only way he can possibly make up the difference is moving to New York.

It was a good run...:bigcry:

Juice22
06-05-2009, 06:58 PM
LIVE VIDEO OF DAVID STERN TALKING ABOUT LEBRON JAMES

<object width="440" height="361"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player.swf?mediaId="/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><embed src="http://espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="440" height="361" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

Mr. Glass
06-05-2009, 08:36 PM
People still mention Isiah being a sore loser when he's brought up, and that's been awhile.

History is written by the victors. Isaiah didn't shake Michael Jordan's hand. If Michael Jordan isn't Michael Jordan than it doesn't take on the historical significance that it has. All LeBron has to do is be the greatest player ever and win a few rings.

G21
06-05-2009, 10:23 PM
These kind of things happen. No need to try and make it bigger than it actually is.

Powerslave
06-06-2009, 10:30 PM
I just saw the Stern/Bron convo on MSN:

Chosen1: hey commish, I know what this is about and I just wanted to say-
Sternbot: no time for small talk, King. you may have a seat.
Chosen1: aight
Sternbot: yes...the force is strong with this one
Chosen1: listen, I was pissed that for the last 3 straight years I've gotten no help, so if you wanna fine me then do it
Sternbot: Lord Bron, this is not what it's about. you have a choice
Chosen1: huh?
Sternbot: the choice of whom you want as your Pippen to win multiple championships. Amare or Bosh?
Chosen1: ni%%a what?!
Sternbot: choose wisely, my son
Chosen1: Hmm..does Amare come with goggles?
Sternbot: negative
Chosen1: Aight, I'll take Bosh then.
Sternbot: a wise choice, young Sithlord. so know you know where the real amazing happens...