PDA

View Full Version : Odom or Ariza? Choice looms for L.A. ...and Cleveland?

Smooth
06-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Odom or Ariza? Choice looms for L.A.
By J.A. Adande
ESPN.com

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0612/nba_g_arizaodom11_576.jpg
Both Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza have bolstered their value with strong playoff performances.

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Such is the business of basketball that Trevor Ariza and Lamar Odom are collaborating while competing, trying their best to win a championship for Los Angeles even if it means one of them won't be around when they hand out the rings next season.

Both will be free agents this summer. And as the Lakers are looking at $74 million for eight players (assuming Kobe Bryant doesn't leave through his opt-out clause) on the 2009-10 payroll, it is not a given that both Ariza and Odom can return.

"Sometimes you have to make tough decisions," a Lakers official said.

But this organization does not always make cold-hearted decisions. After the Lakers won their last championship in 2002, owner Jerry Buss refuted notions that he would slash payroll to get below the luxury-tax threshold, jubilantly declaring "We're going way over the tax!" in the hours after the Lakers beat the New Jersey Nets in the NBA Finals. General manager Mitch Kupchak also said that the core players deserved a chance to defend their championship. As a result 10 players made it back to the roster the next season. So there's room for sentiment. There's also a little extra cash in the coffers, thanks to 12 home playoff games (grossing about $4 million each for the Lakers) so far this postseason.

But both Odom and Ariza will seek long-term, lucrative deals that could extend beyond this group's championship window. For Ariza, who made $3 million this year, it's his first crack at a large contract. For Odom, coming off an $11.4 million base salary this season, it could be his last big contract.

Both have bolstered their value with strong playoff performances. Ariza made two critical steals in Lakers victories against the Denver Nuggets in the Western Conference finals, then emerged from a shooting slump to make three 3-pointers and score 16 points in Game 4 of the NBA Finals. Odom has averaged 12 points and nine rebounds in the postseason and the Lakers have a 5-1 record in the six playoff games in which he recorded a double-double. There's always a premium placed on youth. Ariza turns 24 at the end of the month, while Odom will be 30 in November.

Ariza has not been a breakout star, but he's been a valuable contributor in his first go-round as a starter on a playoff team.

"I just go out and play the game," Ariza said. "You start messing up when you put too much pressure on yourself. Just come into the game clear and just try to play hard."

Odom is no longer viewed as a potential star, but he has won over enough general managers with his versatility that there will be interest in him. And nothing increases a player's value like a championship ring, as new teams believe the winners can share that experience like a wireless network.

That's the basketball element.

"Then you say, 'What's the economy going to say?'" an Eastern Conference executive said.

In a slumping financial world, with a shrinking NBA salary cap and luxury-tax threshold, and a limited number of teams with salary cap space, one team executive described this as a "nuclear winter" for free agents.

The Phoenix Suns, for example, could use Ariza to fill the perimeter defender/spot-up shooter role that used to be filled by Raja Bell, but owner Robert Sarver doesn't want to add to an already-swollen payroll unless the Suns can move some of their hefty contracts first.

One rumor I heard from one team executive Friday had the Suns sending Shaquille O'Neal (who will make $21 million next season, the final year of his contract) to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Ben Wallace ($14.5 million) and Sasha Pavlovic ($4.5 million). The salary swap is close enough to make the trade work under the salary cap guidelines, but the Suns would save $4 million in the transaction -- $2 million in salary and the matching $2 million in luxury tax payment. They could save even more money if Wallace takes a buyout, a possibility that was raised when Wallace said he was considering retirement after the Eastern Conference finals loss to the Magic. If the Suns acquired him and bought out his contract for less than face value, they could lower their actual expenditures, although the full amount would still count toward their luxury tax total.

That may sound practical for Phoenix and dynamic for Cleveland, but a source close to the situation said "there's nothing going on" between the two teams.

The reality is a team that is looking to spend money could use the midlevel exception of approximately $5.6 million starting annual salary to make an offer to Ariza, although folks in the league expect the Lakers to retain him. Meanwhile, a Western Conference executive believes "if you're in position to use the full midlevel for a couple of years, you'll get [Odom]."

A team with more options available than the midlevel is the Detroit Pistons, who will have approximately $18 million in salary cap room. One free agent supposedly being targeted by the Pistons is Chicago Bulls guard Ben Gordon, a scenario that would make even more sense if the rumors about their interest in trading Richard Hamilton are true. The Pistons have won with an unconventional power forward in Rasheed Wallace, so they might be agreeable to trying Odom at the 4 spot.

There are multiple possible destinations, for Odom and for Ariza. Not necessarily the same thing as their goal: winning a championship for the Lakers.

J.A. Adande is an ESPN.com senior writer and the author of "The Best Los Angeles Sports Arguments." Click here to e-mail J.A.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=odomariza-090613

What's your take on the two guys? Who would you rather have?

I know not much has been said about either being linked to the Cavs but I remember Odom was in some trade rumors with the Cavs a while back and I'm wondering if Ferry still has interest..

I also know Ariza was linked to the Cavs by Finnan..

It'll be interesting to see if LA can keep both, which I doubt is the case... So it really turns into, who are they going to keep? I think they'll keep Ariza because of his age but who knows...

Out of the two, I'd rather have Odom right now but I'd rather have Ariza locked up long-term...

Odom doesn't seem to want to leave LA unless it's for a big deal but he may have no choice.. And Ariza doesn't seem to want to leave LA either, after going to college at UCLA...

Thoughts???

MYoung23
06-13-2009, 04:00 PM
If I had my choice I would go with the young guy if I thought he could be had. I think the Lakers match a MLE offer to Ariza. With Ariza you have to be sure his shooting and offensive game will continue to improve. They guy shot 32% from three during the season but 48% in the playoffs. Which guy is closer to what you are getting for the next 4-5 years? If it is the former then you are shelling out 30+M for a 10-12ppg guy.

Sir Charles Barkley
06-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Ariza. He's younger, very versatile, and is a terrific defender.

Silky Smooth
06-13-2009, 04:04 PM
A lot of people say Odom has said he is willing to take less to stay with LA. If he can get the MLE for a couple years from some other team then i see him leaving, especially if he can still end up on a championship team like the Cavs.

Shaq and Odom in the frontcourt will look really good and we still keep oiur cap space for 2010. Win-win situation.

ohiohawk58
06-13-2009, 04:16 PM
ariza....if we take him we can start him at the 3, move lebron to the 2 and have delonte come off the bench...i think that would work pretty well

Wulfgar1224
06-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Of course, I would choose Ariza of the two. But, he isn't leaving LA especially for the MLE.

CavsRules
06-13-2009, 04:30 PM
ariza....if we take him we can start him at the 3, move lebron to the 2 and have delonte come off the bench...i think that would work pretty well

I like James at the three or four because of his size and defensive ability. However, I don't think it matters where you place LeBron because he usually guards the weakest offensive player until later in the game, and he controls the basketball no matter what.

I like Odom, and Ariza has surprised many and looks like he has a good future ahead of him. I'd probably have to agree with the rest by choosing Ariza over Odom if we had a chance to pick. but to be honest, I'd take either way because they could both fit in nicely here.

JayP146
06-13-2009, 04:33 PM
After playing in L.A. I seriously, seriously either would come to play for the Cavs. Windhorst not mentioning either as a real possibility only serves to reinforce.

ClevelandFanati
06-13-2009, 05:13 PM
They'll retain one of them. Whichever they don't bring back is worth a look. But I suspect neither would land in Cleveland. The way Ariza has played, you have to expect them to lock him up. He's a great fit with Fisher/Kobe/Gasol/Bynum long term. That's a balanced lineup. He has more value than Odom coming off the bench.

Odom would be worth a look for the MLE, but I can't see him here for whatever reason. He's not much of a defensive player and has been inconsistent his whole career. That said, he would be a huge upgrade at PF. But I'd be some team would give him a much more lucrative deal than the Cavs are willing.

jvpertz
06-13-2009, 05:30 PM
I definitely think some NBA team will do something stupid and offer Lamar 10 mil a year for 3 season. He'll take the deal and effectively hamstring that team for 3 years.

sailfish
06-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Forget either of these guys. Odom has no interest in playing Cleveland. In fact, he was mighty PO'd and let it be known that he wouldn't report if he was traded to Cleveland, as had been rumored when the Cavaliers were dangling Andre Miller. He would take less money to stay in LA, where he enjoys the laid back lifestyle and living near the beach. If Odom goes anywhere, it will be someplace warm.

Trevor Ariza grew up in LA and went to UCLA. I don't think he will leave the Lakers either. Somehow I think the Lakers will find a way to keep both of these guys.

PIP
06-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Ariza is molding himself into a young, athletic version of Bruce Bowen... He's the number 1 priority for the Lakers this summer, and as said before, being an LA kid, going to UCLA and being a huge Lakers fan, that dude has no plans on going anywhere...

tedginnjr
06-13-2009, 06:05 PM
I definitely think some NBA team will do something stupid and offer Lamar 10 mil a year for 3 season. He'll take the deal and effectively hamstring that team for 3 years.

Who will give him that money? I'm pretty sure the only teams even capable of giving it are Detroit and Charlotte? He'll get the MLE, it's just a matter of where.

qaws23
06-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Who will give him that money? I'm pretty sure the only teams even capable of giving it are Detroit and Charlotte? He'll get the MLE, it's just a matter of where.

Then he's staying in L.A

abuC
06-13-2009, 06:17 PM
I think the Raptors will throw a large deal at Ariza, rather than re-signing Marion.

PIP
06-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Even though Ariza is producing, he's not a guy you throw large money at...

cdt
06-13-2009, 06:49 PM
I'd make him our starting SG, I think he's got major upside. Good athletic player, good defender, increasingly effective 3 point shot. Give LeBron another athlete to run with. Maybe LeBron could throw his first oop as a Cavalier?

Lee
06-13-2009, 06:49 PM
I dont see Ariza leaving LA, but I rather have Ariza, just dont think its possible. Odom for full mle would be nice. He would look good starting next to chandler, kaman or even Z at pf. Bring AV off the bench, and hickson or DJ develop...not a bad big man rotation. Then we could use sasha to upgrade our sg rotation....and still have Ben at the deadline.

Question...would you rather have Rasheed or Odom? Now that is difficult...one thing about odum is he is 5 years younger than Rasheed, but Odom cant play the 5 while Rasheed does. Rasheed improves our interior defense, while Odom gives us an offensive threat at the 4 and another versitile player. Odum could be around for 5 or so more years, Rasheed will only have 2 more years in him.

Tough decision.

Spencer Hawes
06-13-2009, 06:51 PM
If I was the Lakers, I would keep Odom over Ariza. Although Ariza is playing great for what he's worth, Odom is the more talented player and trumps Ariza on offense, post defense and rebounder. I'm envying LA's position right now. Why can't we ever have this kind of dilemma in Cleveland?!?!

Smooth
06-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Call me crazy but I'd much rather have Odom, given that he's proven what type of player he is over a greater period of time and he can pretty much do everything that Ariza can..but more.

Ariza is a nice player but these players are going to make him a lot more money than he's really worth... Yes he's an long, athletic kid full of potential but right now but aside from being a pretty good and versatile defensive player, he gets all of his points on offense from spot-up shooting (which he's streky at and doesn't shoot high %'s throughout his career) and through transition... He can't take guys off the dribble, he can't pull-up, he can't post guys up, etc.... He's pretty limited on offense... And while he's good defensively, I wouldn't call him a stopper by any means...

Odom on the other hand is a pretty versatile guys on both ends that causes a lot of problems because of the type of player he is... He can do a little bit of everything on both ends and do it quite well.. He'll be of much greater value to a team than Ariza because he really doesn't have any limitations to what he can do, whereas Ariza does..

Now Ariza certainly does have more potential and Odom is slowly reaching his 30s, but I see Odom contributing more to our team now than Ariza would and now and in the future..

I certainly hope that Ariza is kept by LA and they can't afford to keep Odom because I'd personally love for Odom to come here... But at the same time, it'd be a tough choice between him and say someone like Sheed because of what a guy like Sheed would bring to our team...

rabman_gold
06-13-2009, 07:51 PM
One's very inconsistent. Another's a young piece getting a nice offer to stay in a place that the big guys usually ALWAYS stay in (when offered).

LA is just a f#cking lucky city. Always has been. Always will be as long as it stays the big market city with the team staying in town.

They get the All-Star game again, only after 6 years. We're lucky to get it in 20 years each time (and that assumes we change arenas). They get Chamberlain. They get Abdul-Jabbar. They get a #1 overall rights to Magic, even though they aren't the worst team. They get Worthy, who's rights would belong to us without Stepien. They get O'Neal as a free agent. They get Bryant for the rights to f#ckin' Vlade Divac. They get the rights to a championship coach (Phil Jackson, Rudy). They get Odom, Butler for old O'Neal. They get Gasol for his younger brother and f#ckin' Kwame Brown.

Face it guys... as a small, disrespected, piece-of-sh!t city... we have to work harder to get to the level they already have been at since the beginning of their move from Minneapolis to Los Angeles.

Sure, it's easy to be jealous of their success, but the story will be that much greater when we actually beat them in the NBA Finals, even moreso than Boston (who's pretty respected as a big market city), New York (the biggest US city), Philly (who got thwumped 2 times before they got their chance), Detroit (who got thwumped once), and Milwaukee (the big exception with Lew Alcindor).

As for the choices? I don't think the Cavs are in the destiny path of getting either. One is a local guy with hopes and dreams. The other has proven to hate the city with his "warming" attitude and wasn't going to be much more than he already is, even if it's better than what we got.

Hey guys! We'll get something thousands of times better than that. Cleveland's not gonna be disrespected for too much longer.

We Will Beat LA!

sam_slam911
06-13-2009, 08:14 PM
If I was LA I'd keep Odom. He's the best player easily in the short-term, and they want the best possible supporting cast around Mamba while he's still in his prime. Kobe won't wanna lose Odom just so they can have a better player for the future.

And while I really doubt we could get either, I'd rather have Ariza because, unlike LA we have the luxury of building for the future to make our superstar happy. But Odom would fit very well too, would definitely take him over Sheed.

Thunder
06-13-2009, 08:43 PM
I def. want Ariza. He's single-handedly won PLAYOFF games with his clutch steals.

abuC
06-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Even though Ariza is producing, he's not a guy you throw large money at...

I agree with that, however the Raptors are in a position where they have to get young/talented players right now, even if they have to overpay to do it.

midgetstilts
06-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Does anyone honestly think that if the Lakers win a title, that they'll let either guy walk? I mean maybe I'll be proven to be an idiot, but being out here in LA, and hearing how critical fans are over the years of D. George, Luke Walton, Derek Fisher, Sasha Vujacic, Ronny Turiaf.... it still never ceases to amaze me that kind of money that the team throws at all those guys who are role players because they don't want to risk taking a step backward. And in Kobe's free agent summer no less! Just think about it....

George got nearly 8 million a year
Vujacic got the MLE basically
Walton got 4.5-5 mil per for five seasons
Derek Fisher at 31 got 5 million a year for 3 years or so
Ronny (who walked) made 4.125 million and the Lakers still thought long and hard on that

When the Lakers win the title, making the kind of money they make (over 48 million gross for this playoffs alone), they will not even hesitate to resign both players even if it puts them into furhur tax hell. Anyone honestly thinking they'll let either guy walk after a title with the way Bynum and Vujacic have played this year is crazy. I'd love to see either of those two as a Cav, but it will never happen. Odom will make more then midlevel money and so will Ariza if he leaves the Lakers (which being from LA, I don't see happening unless it's the clippers who lure him).

Adande of all people should know how it works out here. Buss will pay what he has to justify titles and ticket prices. Sterling is the one who still guts a payroll coming of a playoff year.

Casualties14
06-13-2009, 10:28 PM
I dont see Ariza leaving LA, but I rather have Ariza, just dont think its possible. Odom for full mle would be nice. He would look good starting next to chandler, kaman or even Z at pf. Bring AV off the bench, and hickson or DJ develop...not a bad big man rotation. Then we could use sasha to upgrade our sg rotation....and still have Ben at the deadline.

Question...would you rather have Rasheed or Odom? Now that is difficult...one thing about odum is he is 5 years younger than Rasheed, but Odom cant play the 5 while Rasheed does. Rasheed improves our interior defense, while Odom gives us an offensive threat at the 4 and another versitile player. Odum could be around for 5 or so more years, Rasheed will only have 2 more years in him.

Tough decision.

Rasheed has a good post game but he seems to get way too caught up in shooting from the perimeter.

BorntobeCLE
06-13-2009, 10:40 PM
i just hope and pray that the lakers lose one of them, to any team. if they keep both of them...my prediction is that they have the next two titles locked up.

lakers will sign ariza to whatever he wants, he is only going to get better, and he's an LA native.
Odom has played for the Clippers and the Lakers a majority of his career, give or take a season or two in Miami. I have seen him out a few times in LA and heard he's a pretty big partier, meaning he's not going anywhere besides a glamorous city.

I live out here and have stated all season the lakers aren't losing this year, so i wasn't too upset when the magic beat the cavs. hopefully with personnel moves next year we have a chance, but sans a bosh or stoudamaire coup for us , it's going to be their title to lose.

Homestar
06-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Ariza is the classic case of a guy whose value may never be higher.

Let's not forget this is a guy who averaged 8.9 PPG this season on 46% shooting (32% from 3) Numbers VERY similar to Sasha Pavlovic circa 06-07.

When you're on a championship contender in the playoffs, it's easy to bring your A++ game every night. How will Ariza perform next season in regular season December games? Especially if he signed somewhere else a.k.a. with a non-contender.

Bottom line...7 years in the NBA. 6.9 PPG. Is he a nice player and one I wish the Cavs had? Sure. But starter over Delonte? Definitely no.

Noonan
06-14-2009, 08:44 AM
i just hope and pray that the lakers lose one of them, to any team. if they keep both of them...my prediction is that they have the next two titles locked up.

Sorry, but this is crazy. The Lakers are a few plays away from being down 3-1 and everyone talking about how old and soft they are. Let's not forget what happened to the Lakers in the finals last year when they played a physical team. Add to that, Kobe is the oldest 30-year-old in the history of the league. Has anyone noticed how hard its been for Kobe to get his points this series? His legs are tired. There's lots of NBA miles on that body. Just like Garnett. It's not the age. It's the number of games played. Kobe's going to be a very, very good player for another couple years. But Kobe's no longer in his prime. Those days are done.

Next year Kobe will be 31, Odom 30 and Fisher 35. This was the Lakers best chance to win a title. It's only going to get harder.

JayP146
06-14-2009, 08:53 AM
I'd take Odom over Sheed any day ...

lakers will sign ariza to whatever he wants, he is only going to get better, and he's an LA native.
Odom has played for the Clippers and the Lakers a majority of his career, give or take a season or two in Miami. I have seen him out a few times in LA and heard he's a pretty big partier, meaning he's not going anywhere besides a glamorous city.

I live out here and have stated all season the lakers aren't losing this year, so i wasn't too upset when the magic beat the cavs. hopefully with personnel moves next year we have a chance, but sans a bosh or stoudamaire coup for us , it's going to be their title to lose.

Bolded for emphasis, this is what I've heard as well. No chance in hell Odom will want to come to Cleveland.

Dungong
06-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Ariza is exactly the long perimeter defender we need. Having him, Delonte, and Lebron out there as options makes us able to defend pretty much every team in the league outside. It would also give us an additional defender to use on the opposition's best perimeter defender, Lebron may be the best, but as he has shown throughout the playoffs, he cannot guard the best player and be effective offensively all game, especially if MB is making him play 44 minutes a game. That's not a knock on Lebron, but hopefully getting a quality guy to play the 3 would take the load off Lebron, at least defensively and minutes wise, as no one expects Ariza to take much of the offensive load.

tsteele316
06-14-2009, 09:54 AM
does anyone else find it funny that JA Adande writes a piece for espn.com where he says that cleveland and phx are not having discussions for shaq, but at the same time, they have scroll and espn article up saying that the trade talks between the two are heating up?

coming from that network, it's not a surprise.

Green Lantern
06-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Instead of worrying whether these two will come here(not happening)..we should be concerned about getting more realistic options..tons of names will be floated in the next 2-4 months..most will not be credible....

abuC
06-15-2009, 09:19 AM
There's no chance at either of them.

castor777
06-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Both of those players would fit in very nicely in Cleveland - too bad we don't have the tools to get either one of them. Having now officially won the NBA championship and being valuable pieces on that team - they both deserve over the MLE and they'll find teams, including LA, willing to give that to them. Odom would be more likely of the 2 to be getting a salary down around the 6-7 million range, but unless you can think of a good S&T with them, it's not likely going to happen.

Ziggie123
06-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Realistically, I don't see the Cavs getting either of these guys. Someone will offer more than the MLE.

knowname
06-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Trevor's not leaving and either is lamar. Cavs fans are as naive as kamla when you say your current team is a championship caliber team. You're not. And Lebron's no Kobe. Adding Shaq to your roster could be great...for one season, but after that, then what?

Green Lantern
06-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Trevor's not leaving and either is lamar. Cavs fans are as naive as kamla when you say your current team is a championship caliber team. You're not. And Lebron's no Kobe. Adding Shaq to your roster could be great...for one season, but after that, then what?
Once more..

http://ts3.images.live.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=942192009610&id=985750086790eb1c6802421212a1e4be&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.virginmedia.com%2fmicrosites% 2fmovies%2fslideshow%2fstupid-characters%2fimg_10.jpg

Man Called X
06-15-2009, 11:12 AM
2 years from now, the Lakers will be scrambling to rid themselves of Ariza's contract.

bigtyme
06-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Why has this pipedream thread lasted 3 pages...? Whats the point?

TAS
06-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Odom said he was staying with the Lakers last night. He said "I have been in LA since i was 19, almost 10 years now. I love LA". If the Lakers are wise they will re-sign Odom.

Jon
06-15-2009, 11:26 AM
And Lebron's no Kobe. Adding Shaq to your roster could be great...for one season, but after that, then what?

Really? I'd take him if I knew he wasn't going to fall apart. His contract runs out next season leaving us to do whatever we want in 2010. Look at what we'd be giving up.

Now sure, if some team thinks Ben is going to accept a buy out and is desperate to dump salary, we'll gladly take a prime near-all star type player. What a shame the guy who might be on the market is Boozer ...

As for Odom and Ariza, either of them would be very nice additions to the Cavs, but this would be a classic case of buying high.

Prime 1978
06-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey Jon,

I'd like to hear your opinion on this...

With the Shaq thing, does it bother you that we'd be giving up our two biggest trading pieces for one guy who won't be around for the long haul.

This is my only concern with getting Shaq...I'm all for it outside of that.

Jon
06-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Hey Jon,

With the Shaq thing, does it bother you that we'd be giving up our two biggest trading pieces for one guy who won't be around for the long haul.

As a backup plan after we look at other options and if it includes Phoenix's trainer, sure.

Technically, trading for Shaq is just a shift of money and expirings as Shaq expires this year.

So is Shaq an upgrade over Ben and Sasha? Oh yes.

Someone else can clarify, but there's a date we'd need to do the trade by if we want the option of trading him again at the deadline.

And if not, then Shaq's contract is off the books in 2010 and we've got our cap space to use how we want then depending how things play out with Andy.

If we have to throw in Hickson to get someone like Charlie V - I'd rather not. They could have our #30, though. hah

CleFan22
06-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Hey Jon,

Yes, we are using our two biggest trade pieces. BUT, Shaq is an upgrade over Wallace. He has better numbers than the two put together. Plus, he is a one year deal. This would open up more money in 2010 to sign players, not max superstars because that won't happen.

But, we need to wait out on the sign and trades that Cleveland may work on first for Boozer or CV.

Prime 1978
06-15-2009, 12:03 PM
What about seeing if we could make two separate deals with Ben's contract and another with Sasha...

Then again I guess we have to take what we can get.

I liked what I heard on the BW interview... FO's egg aren't in one basket!!!

Jon
06-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Sasha's contract is what makes the deal. Even if Ben decides not to retire, the Suns could cut Sasha and save a bunch of money when you include tax savings. You can't trade Ben for Shaq straight up, so, it's all about the filler.

Man Called X
06-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Sasha's contract is what makes the deal. Even if Ben decides not to retire, the Suns could cut Sasha and save a bunch of money when you include tax savings. You can't trade Ben for Shaq straight up, so, it's all about the filler.

And cash considerations could be added to pay the guarantee on Sasha's salary.

LeBronMVP
06-15-2009, 05:55 PM
ariza....if we take him we can start him at the 2, keep lebron to the 3 and have delonte come off the bench...i think that would work pretty well

Fixed.

Scrote Squad
06-15-2009, 06:00 PM
While the Shaquille O'Neal-to-Cleveland Cavaliers trade talk created lots of buzz over the weekend, there is an obstacle standing in the way of a future Shaq-LeBron pairing: The Phoenix Suns are not going to give O'Neal away merely to save money.

The Suns, who could save roughly $10 million by sending O'Neal to Cleveland for Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic, also want to gain basketball value in any trade involving O'Neal, according to league sources with knowledge of the team's thinking.

With Wallace considering retirement and Pavlovic averaging fewer than six points over his six-year career, Cleveland would likely have to strengthen its offer to get O'Neal.

The Suns reportedly had interest in Delonte West when the clubs discussed possible deals at the February trade deadline, but the Cavaliers greatly value West and would be hard-pressed to part with him. As it stands, the teams have had only preliminary discussions and will continue to speak in the days and weeks ahead.

Phoenix has also fielded calls from other teams that have inquired about O'Neal, including the Dallas Mavericks, New Orleans Hornets, Portland Trail Blazers and New York Knicks. While getting talent in return is a priority, the Suns' desire for financial relief is real, which means they will likely trade O'Neal and his $20 million contract this offseason.

O'Neal is open to being traded and Cleveland is his preferred destination, according to a league source with knowledge of his thinking. LeBron James is also excited about the possibility of playing with Shaq, according to people close to the situation.

While O'Neal hopes to end up in Cleveland, the 37-year-old future Hall of Famer also hopes to get a two-year contract extension, according to the league source. That being the case, he would like to get assurances that James, who can become a free agent after next season, will remain in Cleveland for at least the next three years. O'Neal is hardly in position to make such demands, and neither James nor the Cavs are likely to make him any promises. The Cavaliers could be in position to have a significant amount of cap space to pursue free agents such as Chris Bosh in 2010 and they are not going to give that up for O'Neal.

The source said O'Neal's desire for long-term security would not be a deal-breaker.

Meanwhile, interest elsewhere in O'Neal remains fairly high.

Dallas could send the Suns Jerry Stackhouse and Erick Dampier, but the Suns have little interest in the Mavericks' plodding center, especially since he has two years and more than $23 million left on his contract.

The Hornets could perhaps offer more talent than anyone else by giving up either Tyson Chandler or Peja Stojakovic, but both players also have two years at big money left on their deals (roughly $24 million for Chandler and $30 million for Stojakovic).

The Knicks are trying to pawn their troubled center Eddy Curry off on the Suns but are getting nowhere.

While the Shaq-to-Cleveland deal is not imminent, it does have a legitimate chance of coming to fruition.

"It's plausible, it's possible," said a league executive. "But there's nothing happening right now."

I guess this opens up the possibility of Shaq being more than just a one year rental. However, if they don't extend him and we don't think he puts us over the top, couldn't we deal his expiring contract at the deadline if there was a more attractive piece out there?

kaytozee610
06-15-2009, 07:54 PM
if the lakers are smart, they lock up ariza long term.
he means so much to that team defensively, they would be stupid not to resign him.

that being said, if we can lure LO to cleveland it would be a godsend. ill deal with the lack of defense. he gives us a solid presence on the boards

The Common Man
06-15-2009, 09:28 PM
LA will be able to keep both. Odom's dating an actress from LA (her name escapes me) and would be willing to take less money to stay. I think he even publicly stated that he couldn't ever play in a city without a beach, limiting his choices to LA, Miami & the Clippers. I fully expect both to be Lakers next year unfortunately, as I would LOVE Trevor Ariza on this team.

Cavs4sho
06-16-2009, 02:23 AM
Ariza plays the same position as Lebron so there is no way of getting him. Only a chance for Odom.

The Shoulder
06-16-2009, 02:33 AM
odem already said he'll take a price cut for ariza to stay

Smooth
06-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Broussard said he thinks they'll keep both, but without a doubt they'll keep Ariza... Odom is the one they might let go if they have to... He said then Odom would probably sign for the MLE elsewhere, unless the Pistons were to sweep in and offer a big deal...

(EDIT)

Michael (LA)

Are the Lakers going to keep both Odom and Ariza? If not, which teams do you think are most interested in them?
Chad Ford

I don't know how they can. From what my sources are telling me, they are absolutely keeping Trevor Ariza. I think Odom will come down to what he's looking at as far as amount and length of contract. Lots of teams would be interest in Ariza including the Blazers and Pistons ... two teams with cap room. I think Odom may have to do the midlevel thing unless the Pistons come through with more money. There just aren't a lot of teams with lots of cap room this year.

westsidebob
06-17-2009, 02:03 PM
LA will be able to keep both. Odom's dating an actress from LA (her name escapes me) and would be willing to take less money to stay. I think he even publicly stated that he couldn't ever play in a city without a beach, limiting his choices to LA, Miami & the Clippers. I fully expect both to be Lakers next year unfortunately, as I would LOVE Trevor Ariza on this team.

What? You never heard of Edgewater Park?!?!??!?

pimpinainteasy
06-17-2009, 03:36 PM
What? You never heard of Edgewater Park?!?!??!?

Mentor Headlands? cmon now!!!!

knowname
05-14-2010, 04:56 PM

OK I was wrong. Trev left..But LO stayed and you guys still thought you were going to win a 'ship...When are you all going to get that Lebron is no Kobe.?? Bron would have to leave Cleveland to even be considered the best..... Lebron, New York welcomes you with open arms.

Rick Astley
05-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Great job cocksucker. I never liked backseat modding but gravedigging is a serious offense.

knowname
05-14-2010, 04:59 PM
hahahahahahahaha lolololo!!!! sorry dude...i had to! I hope you guys feel like crap in Cleveland! Go to NY Lebron!!!!

DougHeil
05-14-2010, 05:00 PM
OK I was wrong. Trev left..But LO stayed and you guys still thought you were going to win a 'ship...When are you all going to get that Lebron is no Kobe.?? Bron would have to leave Cleveland to even be considered the best..... Lebron, New York welcomes you with open arms.

If I were able, you would banned right now. What a loser to dig up an old thread. Do we go into your forums and trash the place? Get lost dude.

Rick Astley
05-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Meh. I'm an international Cavs fan. Don't care where he goes. Joke's on you.