PDA

View Full Version : LeBron Verbally Commits To Cavs (then backs off?) in Push For Ariza

Pages : [1] 2

cav4sure
07-07-2009, 01:48 AM
Updated: July 7, 2009, 1:42 AM ET
Sources: LeBron says he'll stayComment Email Print Share By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine
Archive
The Cleveland Cavaliers got some bad news followed by some potentially terrific news on Sunday. In a last-ditch effort to recruit Trevor Ariza away from the Houston Rockets, LeBron James told Ariza he would remain with the Cavaliers past 2010, according to a person close to Ariza.

Even that wasn't enough to get Ariza, who verbally committed to join the Rockets last Thursday, to change his mind and go to Cleveland.

James

But the Cavaliers will gladly settle for the consolation prize; if indeed James' statement to Ariza was more than an empty sales pitch.

"Trevor asked LeBron if he would be in Cleveland after next season," the source said. "And LeBron said, 'I'll be there. Of course, I'll be there.'"

James' conversation with Ariza was part of the Cavaliers' attempt to make the free agent swingman the next Hedo Turkoglu, who backed out of his promise last week to join Portland and instead accepted a deal with Toronto.

Cavs general manager Danny Ferry and head coach Mike Brown flew to Los Angeles and met with Ariza on Sunday, according to several sources with knowledge of the situation.

Ariza

Ariza, who had accepted a five-year, $33.5 million offer from the Rockets last Thursday, also received telephone calls from James and Shaquille O'Neal. When James told Ariza he'd be a Cavalier past next season, Ariza was less than convinced.

"He thought it was just a recruiting tool," the source said. "LeBron definitely said it, but until he signs the contract it doesn't mean much."

The Cavaliers did not ask James or O'Neal to call Ariza, but as he did with Ron Artest, James took it upon himself to reach out. James' future in Cleveland has been an issue with potential signees.

Artest, whom the Cavaliers had interest in before he agreed to terms with the Lakers, was concerned about signing a multiyear deal with Cleveland because of James' ability to leave in 2010. And even O'Neal, who was traded to the Cavs less than two weeks ago, tried to find out about James' long-term plans with the club during trade talks.

Even so, according to sources, a flattered Ariza strongly considered reneging on his agreement with the Rockets and heading for Cleveland, which made him the same offer as Houston last week. In the end, however, he decided to keep his word to the Rockets.

"He's a very loyal person," the source said. "[Rockets coach] Rick Adelman had lunch with him for three straight days last week and that meant a lot to him."

Ariza presumably will sign with the Rockets on Wednesday, the first day free agents are allowed to sign contracts. But until then, other teams can recruit him, and he can change his mind.

Though Ferry and Brown left Los Angeles Sunday night thinking their mission had failed, the Cavaliers spoke with Ariza's representatives one last time Monday afternoon, only to be told that he still planned to be a Rocket.

Sources say several factors led to Ariza's decision. First, his toddler son lives in Los Angeles with his mother and Ariza liked that Houston was a much shorter flight than Cleveland. Second, Adelman promised him the Rockets would feature him offensively while the Cavaliers refused to guarantee him a starting job. Instead, the Cavs told him he'd be given a legitimate chance to compete for the spot against last year's starter, Delonte West.

"He wanted to be sure he'd start," the source said. "That was a big hang-up."

While an about-face is still possible, the Cavaliers, who met with Channing Frye in Cleveland on Monday, aren't holding their breath.

"As far as we're concerned, he's going to Houston," a team executive said. "We've moved on."

The Cavaliers, of course, are hoping James doesn't do the same thing a year from now.

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.

camakazee
07-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Wow, that's a bombshell.

Now I don't want to hear any more "this is LeBron's fault for not committing" talk. Granted, signing an extension right now would make a bigger splash, but if he's giving this verbal pitch to serious targets, then you can't fault him for the reason they're not coming here.

mdawg1128
07-07-2009, 01:51 AM
I wish he would have publicly said those exact words before free agency started. Maybe it would have made a difference.

Ignatius
nominate to sticky this with thread title "LeBron to stay in Cleveland past 2010"

futuristxen
Yeah I don't know if Ariza could have started for the Cavs.

CavsRules
07-07-2009, 01:54 AM
"He thought it was just a recruiting tool," the source said. "LeBron definitely said it, but until he signs the contract it doesn't mean much."
Clearly the truth of it all..

LeBron told him what he wanted to hear.. Doesn't mean he'll follow through with it.

Not saying he wont follow through with it, but these guys want it official before they commit.

camakazee
07-07-2009, 01:55 AM
I wish he would have publicly said those exact words before free agency started. Maybe it would have made a difference.

With the route we took, I highly doubt that.

Villanueva chose Detroit because of the money, simple and plain. After Boozer failed to opt out of his contract, he knew he'd get big bucks and we knew we had no shot at him. That decision was purely financial.

Artest chose LA because apparently he felt more wanted there. He has said several things publicly ranging from the fact that he likes that city more to "Cleveland never called." I imagine James told Artest the same thing he told Ariza, but it didn't make a difference.

Finally, the third target, Ariza, was privately told what you wanted James to state publicly. Ariza already has a ring, is very young, and wants a chance to shine. He'll get that chance in Houston.

I honestly don't see one situation so far that would've had free agents crawling here if LeBron made those words public--at least not the free agents we've targeted. Now, with this information leaked, it could have an effect on how the remaining targets play out (we can't strike out on all of them!). But it's important to remember that the three strikes to date are not a result of LeBron's commitment or Cleveland's future.

Northstar
07-07-2009, 01:58 AM
Why the hell did we tell him he would have to compete with Delonte? Just tell him he's starting, start the season out with him starting, and if he sucks it up, then put Delonte back in there and tell Ariza he can earn his job back if he starts to improve his play. Seriously, how hard is that to do? Delonte would have no problem playing 12 minutes for Mo at PG and 23 minutes at SG... Ariza could play 25 mins at SG and 10 at SF... both could get 35 mins/game, with Mo at 36, LeBron at 38.

Seriously, that was incredibly dumb not offering him a starting gig.

Jlans8
07-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Well it shows how much Ariza wants to stay in the West. I mean if LeBron commiting to Cleveland can't even get him to come over to the East and the Cavs he must really like it out there.

Amherstcavsfan
07-07-2009, 02:04 AM
That is a freaking bombshell...wowzers.

THamiltonIsGod
07-07-2009, 02:06 AM
Wow. Pretty nice to hear from LBJ but it doesn't change things unless he signs an extension this summer. Looks like the Cavs threw everything they had at Ariza...Danny, Brown, LeBron, Shaq. Good to hear their going after guys hard like that. The kid would just rather start for a much worse team. Seems like he's satisfied with his one ring and he just wants individual success now. Oh well, screw him. I still have faith that Ferry will pull something off.

The Shoulder
07-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Biggest news this summer for all i know/care

godfather
07-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Stephen A was right as usual.

Chris
07-07-2009, 02:08 AM
Doesnt mean it's a done deal, but it's good to hear LeBron say that.

Amherstcavsfan
07-07-2009, 02:12 AM
Let's put it this way, LeBron isn't an idiot, he knows exactly how hated he would be if he left here after saying this. He was here when the Boozer debacle happened, he knows the venom he would get if he said this and then did not come back.

I think last year and the beginning of the offseason has really made LeBron comfortable here in Cleveland.

godfather
07-07-2009, 02:12 AM
Doesnt mean it's a done deal, but it's good to hear LeBron say that.

I don't know, Lebron has always been very careful with what he says. He always words things pretty carefully, to avoid situations like this. I think in the past, he truly wasn't convinced one way or the other whether he'd stay or go. Of course this isn't a lock, but the fact he mention this, knowing this would probably be leaked is a pretty strong indication where his mind is at. Which is a good thing obviously.

MoFlo
07-07-2009, 02:13 AM
Why the hell did we tell him he would have to compete with Delonte? Just tell him he's starting, start the season out with him starting, and if he sucks it up, then put Delonte back in there and tell Ariza he can earn his job back if he starts to improve his play. Seriously, how hard is that to do? Delonte would have no problem playing 12 minutes for Mo at PG and 23 minutes at SG... Ariza could play 25 mins at SG and 10 at SF... both could get 35 mins/game, with Mo at 36, LeBron at 38.

Seriously, that was incredibly dumb not offering him a starting gig.

He still would only be the 3rd/4th option here..

Whereas, in Houston, with Yao done for the season & Tracy out 'til the break, he has a GREAT opportunity to get his career to the next level..

BorntobeCLE
07-07-2009, 02:15 AM
a) i'm happy lebron & shaq are recruiting for the cavs
b) if ariza/artest aren't buying lebron's talk, we shouldn't
c) since lebron & shaq can't get these guys to come to cleveland, we must get better through trade.
d) if wally z is part of the regular rotation next year........

OCcavsFan
07-07-2009, 02:16 AM
the fact that ariza felt it was a recruiting tool just confirms what everyone in the world is going to say about this.....basically, it means nothing until he actually commits...

bad thing about this is it probably ruins any future dealings we may have with the rockets, or those close to the rockets for the immediate future.

probably not a big deal, but we shall see.

it IS encouraging that he would communicate this at least. Man, Im really hoping we can swing some sort of an impact trade to rectify lebrons supposed commitment.

....and the suspense heightens

THamiltonIsGod
07-07-2009, 02:18 AM
a) i'm happy lebron & shaq are recruiting for the cavs
b) if ariza/artest isn't buying lebron's talk, we shouldn't
c) since lebron & shaq can't get these guys to come to cleveland, we must get better through trade.
d) if wally z is part of the regular rotation next year, i may go shazel kazemi on danny ferry.

Yikes...too soon maybe?

godfather
07-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Lebron saying he's saying in Cleveland >>>>>>>> Ariza coming to Cleveland

Who would've thought good news would come out from Ariza not coming here.

The title should be edited to a BIGGER and BETTER surprise out of the Mike Brow and Ferry trip.

THamiltonIsGod
07-07-2009, 02:20 AM
I wonder if Lebron comes out and says this publicly now that it's been leaked. Wouldn't he have to? I'm sure the media will be hounding him about it now.

johnny
07-07-2009, 02:22 AM
We don't know if he even said it at all. How many times have NY reporters claimed that inside sources or people in Lebron's inner circle say Lebron has planned to flee to NY for years? Broussard is a bit more of a credible source, but this all means nothing. We'll just have to wait and see.

Chris
07-07-2009, 02:25 AM
I wonder if Lebron comes out and says this publicly now that it's been leaked. Wouldn't he have to? I'm sure the media will be hounding him about it now.

The media will ask him about it directly, and he will find some way to dance around it and say "Well what I REALLY meant was..."

Although that statement is so direct, I don't know how he could snake his way out of it. Back when he t old the crowd @ the Obama thing or w/e that "I aint goin nowhere!" he later went back on it and explained "Well what I meant was....this will always be home no matter what."

blank964
07-07-2009, 02:26 AM
I'll believe Bron's staying when he signs. I not trying to say he was blowing smoke but obviously we saw how actions speak louder than words with the Boozer situation. But Lebron is playing it smart by not talking to the media and saying he's going to stay because if he doesn't he would be worse than Art Modell.

If FAs don't believe that and aren't willing to come and play with Bron and Shaq on a legit championship contender then I don't know what is going to bring free agents in. Maybe some of Max's nachos.

Chris
07-07-2009, 02:26 AM
We don't know if he even said it at all. How many times have NY reporters claimed that inside sources or people in Lebron's inner circle say Lebron has planned to flee to NY for years? Broussard is a bit more of a credible source, but this all means nothing. We'll just have to wait and see.

Bullshit. Broussard is 10x the source ANYONE has ever used to say LeBron is leaving.

johnny
07-07-2009, 02:32 AM
Bullshit. Broussard is 10x the source ANYONE has ever used to say LeBron is leaving.

I agree, but I never trust these anonymous sources. I doubt Broussard would make anything up, but I don't exactly trust this nameless friend of Ariza. It's all just gossip at this point unless it comes directly from Lebron's mouth.

THamiltonIsGod
07-07-2009, 02:39 AM
I have a feeling when confronted by the media Lebron will say something like "I like the direction the team is heading in, when the time comes if I feel it's the best situation for me to succeed in then yes I'm staying." He's gotten pretty sly at this sort of thing. Lebron could've easily said he was staying everytime the media has asked him but he has always left some doubt. Why would he all of the sudden eliminate that doubt? He's more marketable leaving his future up in the air..where fans can speculate about having him on their team. Kind of like when a pop star is single fans dream about dating her but when she gets married people get all bummed out and she loses that appeal. Do I think he ultimately signs with the Cavs? Yes. But he's been playing this little game for a reason. Unfortunately, I think it's a recruiting tool. He did not proclaim this, Ariza asked him and he had to say yes...how could he have told him no?

Obviously I hope he really means it, but his prior statements aren't consistent with it and until he has a contract we shouldn't take it all that seriously.

riveronfire
07-07-2009, 02:40 AM
The vast majority of you all overrate Ariza big time. The guy was an 8/5 player who played great throughout the playoffs, just so he could get paid. Ive watched Arize closely ever since he was traded to the Lakers. The only difference between his first season as a Laker and this past season was his outside shot greatly improved. Its funny how your shot gets soooooooooo much better during a contract year, just ask Sasha Vujacic and Luke Walton that. Sasha in his contract year shot something close to 45% from 3 for the year. Got a $5 mill a season contract and now cant shoot or play defense anymore. Luke Walton in his contract year led the league in 3pt shooting for a few months. He also got a nice $5 mill contract and now has regressed.

The thing that all 3 of these guys have in common is they all shot the ball better in a contract year, they actually didnt develop any basketball skills at all, and neither will Trevor.

TheBigLeBronski
07-07-2009, 02:49 AM
Im glad to see the Cavs still value Delonte as a legitimate starting SG. I wish this article was writen by anyone else other then chris brousard though. Likeable fellow, but I trust his sources about as much as I trust Stephen A. and Ed Werder.
Although I do think LeBron is staying, I highly doubt Broussard has anymore inside knowledge of it then I do.

CzBoobie
07-07-2009, 02:52 AM
And we are supposed to believe it because...?

LeBron would be a pretty terrible pitchman if he answered him "Hell no, of course I'm leaving, you'll be the best player, buddy", lol.

Storm Sutherland
07-07-2009, 02:52 AM
I highly doubt Broussard has anymore inside knowledge of it then I do.

I got a pack of skittles on it that he does...

Luffy
07-07-2009, 03:02 AM
Damn, no wonder free agents aren't coming to the Cavaliers. Everyone's concerned that Lebron might bolt in 2010. We know that he won't. But that doesn't matter when most of the free agents don't know if he'll stay. At this rate, Wally Z and Drew Gooden will be our free agent signings.

TheBigLeBronski
07-07-2009, 03:09 AM
Im pretty sure the good Free Agents know that if they come, LeBron will stay. By them not coming they are obviously saying that they arent the good ones.

cavsrook25
07-07-2009, 03:11 AM
Damn, no wonder free agents aren't coming to the Cavaliers. Everyone's concerned that Lebron might bolt in 2010. We know that he won't. But that doesn't matter when most of the free agents don't know if he'll stay. At this rate, Wally Z and Drew Gooden will be our free agent signings.

Szczerbiak is spelled with an S

Luffy
07-07-2009, 03:13 AM
Szczerbiak is spelled with an S

It's my nickname for Szczerbiak. I call him Wally Z to all my friends. Thanks for the help buddy.

riveronfire
07-07-2009, 03:32 AM
We know that he won't.

How do you know? You dont know that. Id put my money on Lebron bolting for NY next season. An aging 35 year old Shaq and a bunch of role players arent going to entice him into staying and continue playing in a cold weather city when teams like LA and Orlando are picking up Artest and Carter. I know he loves playing in his hometown but he like 99.9 percent of the NBA is a business man first. Sure the Knicks suck now but out of all of the major professional sports, basketball is the one sport where you can turn perennial losers into contenders the fastest. Look at Boston and the Lakers as an example.

It really sucks to think about, and I put the blame on Ferry. He surrounded Lebron with a bunch of old, aging vets instead of surrounding him with young, on the come up players like the Blazers did with Roy. And now that they've been exposed, they have no trade pieces to get Lebron some real help. I like Shaq and everything but this guy just ends up being a huge cancer everywhere he goes. The only brightside about him is he also is in a contract year so I expect him to play pretty decent.

Ferry needs to make some moves FAST. Keep Mo, Bron and Shaq and go for the hail mary and trade anyone else for another big name player, AS LONG as he plays some defense and isnt a cancer.

These "secret" trips Ferry and Brown are making to court free agents reminds me of loners trying to hit up hot chicks in a bar. It just doesnt work.

InBoobieWeTrust
07-07-2009, 03:36 AM
How do you know? You dont know that. Id put my money on Lebron bolting for NY next season. An aging 35 year old Shaq and a bunch of role players arent going to entice him into staying and continue playing in a cold weather city when teams like LA and Orlando are picking up Artest and Carter. I know he loves playing in his hometown but he like 99.9 percent of the NBA is a business man first. Sure the Knicks suck now but out of all of the major professional sports, basketball is the one sport where you can turn perennial losers into contenders the fastest. Look at Boston and the Lakers as an example.

It really sucks to think about, and I put the blame on Ferry. He surrounded Lebron with a bunch of old, aging vets instead of surrounding him with young, on the come up players like the Blazers did with Roy. And now that they've been exposed, they have no trade pieces to get Lebron some real help. I like Shaq and everything but this guy just ends up being a huge cancer everywhere he goes. The only brightside about him is he also is in a contract year so I expect him to play pretty decent.

Ferry needs to make some moves FAST. Keep Mo, Bron and Shaq and go for the hail mary and trade anyone else for another big name player, AS LONG as he plays some defense and isnt a cancer.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever accomplished the fail that you just accomplished in 4 posts.

pr26
07-07-2009, 03:39 AM
These "secret" trips Ferry and Brown are making to court free agents reminds me of loners trying to hit up hot chicks in a bar. It just doesnt work.

Does that make the Celts showing up on Sheed's doorstep a gangbang date rape?

OJammer
07-07-2009, 03:40 AM
Im pretty sure the good Free Agents know that if they come, LeBron will stay. By them not coming they are obviously saying that they arent the good ones.

No Im pretty sure all free agents know that you cant count on anyones word when it comes to signing an extension. Until Lebron actually signs, theres gonna be tons of doubt in their mind. With the type of situation that Lebron is in you can just never say never and also cant say you're 'definetely' going to do something in a year, because people change, plans change, etc.

riveronfire
07-07-2009, 03:42 AM
Does that make the Celts showing up on Sheed's doorstep a gangbang date rape?

LOL probably, but the difference is they actually got Sheed. I just used that analogy cause Ferry keeps going after people but keeps striking out.

Luffy
07-07-2009, 03:48 AM

Laker fan for the win. Lebron's staying. Bring this back up to me after 2010. His jersey says he's a Cavalier until then.

Maximus
07-07-2009, 03:51 AM
All Ariza did for me was reinforce that "Lebron leaving" was a major deciding factor for free agents....as we've been speculating. I dont feel better about it at all, I feel worse. If Lebron is going to be here long term than why not announce committment to sign an extension on July1. This would have made Ferry's job much easier. Until Lebron says draw up the docs, I'm going to sign them, no one is going to believe him. It's hard to convince other people to sign when Lebron wont sign himself.

riveronfire
07-07-2009, 04:07 AM
All Ariza did for me was reinforce that "Lebron leaving" was a major deciding factor for free agents....as we've been speculating. I dont feel better about it at all, I feel worse. If Lebron is going to be here long term than why not announce committment to sign an extension on July1. This would have made Ferry's job much easier. Until Lebron says draw up the docs, I'm going to sign them, no one is going to believe him. It's hard to convinve other people to sign when Lebron wont sign himself.

The only "good" thing about Lebron trying to get Trevor into signing is that it shows at least the guy is trying to get guys here, albeit with some trickery. If he really didnt give a damn about the team he wouldnt care at all.

OK I know that doesnt help much, just trying to put a positive spin on the situation. Ferry needs to seriously start thinking about life after Lebron and start making moves now as if Lebron wasnt on the team. Lebron isnt signing an extension because of a underperforming roster and Ferry isnt doing anything significant because hes worrying too much if Lebron leaves. Ferry needs to make signiciant moves this season and if Lebron leaves, then he leaves. If by some miracle Ferrys moves turn out genius then he probably stays.

One thing is for sure though if Ferry leaves the team the way it is there is no chance hes coming back. He seriously needs to take a gamble here...

cuckooroller
07-07-2009, 04:13 AM
All Ariza did for me was reinforce that "Lebron leaving" was a major deciding factor for free agents....as we've been speculating. I dont feel better about it at all, I feel worse. If Lebron is going to be here long term than why not announce committment to sign an extension on July1. This would have made Ferry's job much easier. Until Lebron says draw up the docs, I'm going to sign them, no one is going to believe him. It's hard to convinve other people to sign when Lebron wont sign himself.

As a Laker fan, therefore looking in from the outside, unfortunately I must agree with the above. Personally, as an old-time basketball fan I would much rather James remain in Cleveland. We have all seen the NBA changing over time, and one of the things that I most regret seeing is that the feeling that marquee players should develop and have with the City that has nurtured and supported them through thick and thin, now no longer seems to be fashionable. I still admire loyalty.

Regrettably, when this news item broke my immediate reaction was that it was not very credible. The context and timing was wrong. I am sure that Ariza did not believe it, as I am sure that the difficulty that Cleveland has encountered in attracting free agents of a certain caliber has been severely impacted by James's coy behavior in playing footsy with the FO's of other franchises these last two years. The fact that words from James, such as these just proferred by him come in this rather desperate context, simply appears fishy. He should have long ago committed to a contract extension in Cleveland, presuming, of course, that that is his true intention.

DC
07-07-2009, 04:28 AM
Wow, can some people just relax? Look, this whole Ferry isn't doing shit is such a tired routine. What were the Lakers doing after Kobe? It took them how many years post Shaq? They finally got lucky and a miracle named Pau Gasol fell into their laps and they were able to rape the Memphis Grizzlies for the only great player they've ever had. Had that trade not have happened, the Lakers would not be in championship contention.

Jordan didn't get Pippen until 4 years into his career, and Jordan was around 26-27 at that time. He didn't win his first championship until he was around the 30 mark. LeBron is only 24 and started with a team that was in dire straits and had no talent on the team when he was drafted.

The Cavs have slowly built a core around LeBron, just like the Lakers did with Kobe. What we're missing is the final piece, and as you can tell Ferry is doing everything possible to make sure we acquire it. Everyone knows our priority target is Bosh, and if we get him, we now have a potential dynasty. Danny isn't wasting away sitting on his hands, he's refraining from making dumb moves so it doesn't hinder him from finding the missing piece. Shaq was a big step in the right direction, and he's a great complimentary piece to the overall outcome. He's a cancer, really? That's one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard.

A dynasty takes time. It always has, it always will. If LeBron thought he was going to be the greatest player ever in his mid 20's and we would be in contention for greatest teams ever, he was mistaken.

JayP146
07-07-2009, 04:31 AM
LeBron likes the extra media attention. It helps sell shoes and gives him more exposure ... and makes him a richer man. Of course he's not going to sign the extension ...

Maximus
07-07-2009, 04:34 AM
LeBron likes the extra media attention. It helps sell shoes and gives him more exposure ... and makes him a richer man. Of course he's not going to sign the extension ...

Ohhh, i get all that, i really do...and that's perfectly fine! As long as Lebron understands that he is hurting his chances of collecting rings, which he claims is his #1 goal.

Jon
07-07-2009, 05:13 AM
Well, if LeBron actually said that to Ariza, then I believe he meant it. Of course if things go sour he may have a change of heart, and the timing of when he wants to sign an extension is a) something he can't do quite yet, and b) an economic decision.

If he really has made up his mind, I expect he'll at least say something in public to quell the 2010 fervor. Yes, it gets him no end of attention, but it's not worth souring this season in any way.

MYoung23
07-07-2009, 05:34 AM

So signing with Cleveland will equals less money?

:confused:

MYoung23
07-07-2009, 05:36 AM

http://www.hilaliya.com/noob_tn.jpg

Trill Cosby
07-07-2009, 05:39 AM
Who's Broussard trying to hustle? Or is it LeBron? LOL @ being elated over this half hearted confirmation.

Look if you're staying you sign a damn extension, the hell do I look like? I'm from the hood be serious.

marcvstraianvs
07-07-2009, 05:55 AM
Honestly better to hear this from LeBron than the stuff Dwayne Wade has been saying about Miami being a contender for him to re-sign. Perhaps this is Ferry's plan all along...try to go for it replacing 2 not very important pieces with Shaq, and if it doesn't work, make the real splash next summer.

CleveRocks
07-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Why the hell did we tell him he would have to compete with Delonte?

Because you don't guarentee anything to players coming off a contract year.

BlueSeats626
07-07-2009, 06:57 AM
Doesn't mean shit until he inks the contract.

DougHeil
07-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Who's Broussard trying to hustle? Or is it LeBron? LOL @ being elated over this half hearted confirmation.

Look if you're staying you sign a damn extension, the hell do I look like? I'm from the hood be serious.

Ariza said he thought it was a "recruiting tool" and did not believe him. He certainly said it though. This isn't a surprise to many of us, but it seems to be one to many in this thread. Ariza is an idiot for not believing it. I predicted a few days ago in here LeBron would pick up his option in 2010 and sign an extension for 3 years sometime this summer.

BTW; LeBron can NOT sign an extension until July 18th. Heck; the Cavs can NOT make an offer to him until July 9th. What's the date today anyway? Oh.......

bucksprime99
07-07-2009, 07:05 AM
http://www.moviezeal.com/wp-content/uploads/i-want-to-believe.jpg

Splitz
07-07-2009, 07:07 AM
So far Lebron is 0-2 in his recruiting pitches. Getting shut down like it's the Cavs/Spurs Final again.

SanduskyCav
07-07-2009, 07:21 AM
I'll believe it when he signs...

bucksprime99
07-07-2009, 07:22 AM
LeBron is worse at recruiting than CC is in the playoffs!

The Cavs should hire Lane Kiffin!

ALSO

I'M THE DEVIL!

REP POWER 666!!!

BLAAAAHHHH!!!!

KilgoreTrout
07-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Now it's a headline on ESPN. The word is out, and LeBron would have to go back on it to leave. That's somewhat encouraging...

sailfish
07-07-2009, 08:00 AM
From Broussard's article, it sounds like the Cavaliers really put the full-court press on Ariza. Rich Bucher tweeted around midnight the following:

Prob nothing but: couple sources say Ariza is wavering on commitment to Rockets. Hou says it's not true. Ariza's agent not returning calls.about 7 hours ago from web

Here's an interview that Chris Myers, Don MacLean, and some others did with Ariza on LA radio:

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/LOSANGELES-CA/KLAC-AM/070709%20Trevor%20Ariza%20.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=LOSANGELES-CA&NG_FORMAT=sports&SITE_ID=727&STATION_ID=KLAC-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=KLAC-AM&PCAST_CAT=Arts_%26_Entertainment&PCAST_TITLE=KLAC-AM_Loose_Cannons

At 2:17, when the hosts initially asked Ariza 'why Houston,' I noticed he sounded nervous and talked about them in the past tense and what they 'would offer.' He mentioned that he would be closer to his son in LA and that he had more of an opportunity on the court.

Later, at 6:17 into the interview Ariza, when asked about whether he is definately going to Houston said, "Yeah, I'm going to Houston."

At any regard, I like the fact that Ariza pressed Lebron and asked him about whether he was staying in Cleveland beyond 2010. Still, Lebron has to realize that people are going to view this as lip service until he actually puts pen to paper and makes it official.

Hopefully, Lebron realizes he what he needs to do and takes care of business.

bucksprime99
07-07-2009, 08:01 AM
My question is: Does LeBron dare come out and deny this? Or will he just 'no comment'?

SuperSurge
07-07-2009, 08:14 AM
If LeBron truly wants to be like Michael and Kobe, I'm sure he see's that they never changed teams to get their rings.

LeBron isn't dumb, and without turning this into a 2010 thread, I have always believed he was going to stay.

basmets
07-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Man, we're pretty much lost now. I mean the thing everyone was worried about, LeBron sure that he'd stay, we still don't get anything. Ariza isn't coming, so stop worrying about that guys.. It's just no luck :P

cavsgirl26
07-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Well, if this is true, and LeBron stays true to his word and does stay with the team, even though he's not technically a FA this year, Cleveland officially wins Free Agency. lol

cav jvl
07-07-2009, 08:23 AM
The Cavs will be fine. CV wanted big money and got it. Artest and Sheed are crazy and really still risky players to have. Ariza wants to be the man and stay closer to the west coast. We have Lebron, Shaq, Mo and Delonte!! Danny will add key players soon enough.

Spectre
07-07-2009, 08:26 AM
A verbal is nice, but it's time for LBJ to put pen to paper if he wants to get serious in recruiting. Until then, LeBron's verbal commitment to us is just about as meaningful to Ariza as his verbal commitment to Houston.

FuneralOfHearts
07-07-2009, 08:30 AM
A verbal is nice, but it's time for LBJ to put pen to paper if he wants to get serious in recruiting. Until then, LeBron's verbal commitment to us is just about as meaningful to Ariza as his verbal commitment to Houston.

Lqtm that's better than Hedo's verbal to Portland.

Green Lantern
07-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Since Lebron leaving was never a concern to me(either he's here or he goes)..the sticking point is:

Sources say several factors led to Ariza's decision. First, his toddler son lives in Los Angeles with his mother and Ariza liked that Houston was a much shorter flight than Cleveland. Second, Adelman promised him the Rockets would feature him offensively while the Cavaliers refused to guarantee him a starting job. Instead, the Cavs told him he'd be given a legitimate chance to compete for the spot against last year's starter, Delonte West.

Eh...if you're going to have Delonte come off the bench tell the guy he's starting...now in most cases the backup isn't going to play more minutes but in West's case that might be true depending on the matchup..
But dang it's really a moot point..we all think it's better to have West be the 6th man..
Perhaps that wouldn't have even convinced him if the distance is the real factor..

DougHeil
07-07-2009, 08:33 AM

Considering that the Cavs cannot make an offer to LeBron yet, it is not time for LeBron to put pen to paper. In fact; he cannot sign anything until July 18th at the earliest.

I wish members and people all over would stop with the Lebron talk until at least enough time passes. LeBron saying what he said to Ariza is a clear statement. He's not the type to lie to a peer, now is he?

OnTheReg
07-07-2009, 08:36 AM
The Cavs will be fine. CV wanted big money and got it. Artest and Sheed are crazy and really still risky players to have. Ariza wants to be the man and stay closer to the west coast. We have Lebron, Shaq, Mo and Delonte!! Danny will add key players soon enough.

THANK YOU. People are FREAKING out because we didn't get CV, Artest, Sheed or Ariza. We just got a top 3 Center to compliment our top 10 Center, still have LeBron, Mo, Delonte, the young kids, probably Andy, and the full MLE and BAE. We're FINE.

southernflyer
07-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Since he can't commit for almost two weeks, does it do any good to say it in public if he is already telling the guys the Cavs are really after that he is staying?

Doesn't it help the Cavs long-term if he waits until the top FA's sign their big contracts first, then after the top teams use their MLE's tell the second tier guys "C'mon and win a few rings, split the MLE and take the BAE". Not saying that would happen, but it would blow a lot of plans for temas in free agency next year.

bucksprime99
07-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Since he can't commit for almost two weeks, does it do any good to say it in public if he is already telling the guys the Cavs are really after that he is staying?

Doesn't it help the Cavs long-term if he waits until the top FA's sign their big contracts first, then after the top teams use their MLE's tell the second tier guys "C'mon and win a few rings, split the MLE and take the BAE". Not saying that would happen, but it would blow a lot of plans for temas in free agency next year.

Two weeks? Can't he sign on the 8th like everybody else?

Prime 1978
07-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Considering that the Cavs cannot make an offer to LeBron yet, it is not time for LeBron to put pen to paper. In fact; he cannot sign anything until July 18th at the earliest.

I wish members and people all over would stop with the Lebron talk until at least enough time passes. LeBron saying what he said to Ariza is a clear statement. He's not the type to lie to a peer, now is he?

I agree with you Doug, however....

I think it would be a huge help if we were to see the scroll at the bottom of ESPN News saying "Breaking News: Cavs and LeBron working on 3-4 year extention"

The same way that Kobe and the Lakers did. Funny thing is the day that news came out, the Lakers signed Ron Artest. Artest probably would've signed, I am aware of that.

The same rules apply to Kobe in terms of when the contract can be signed, but their front office got the message out there and every free agent, player looking for a trade...etc knows that Kobe is committed and working on that commitment to be a Laker.

Can't say the same thing with LeBron right now. Like Ariza said, it doesn't mean anything until the paper is signed. Considering that the paper can't be signed until about two weeks from now, the message being out there that talks are in process to do so is the most you can do. It's probably the difference between us having Ariza now and not!!!

Besides McDyess, I think Ariza was the only for sure thing on the market that would fit us. I said in another thread that even if his shot was a fluke in the play-offs he still could be our poor mans Shane Battier, Bruce Bowen type. Talent wise he's not CV or Artest but he doesn't come with the question marks those guys come with. His ability to finish on the break, defensive prowess, and length would've definitely fit into our scheme. The 3 point shot would've been icing on the cake...IMO

Of all the guys mentioned and connected to tweets and rumors, this is the first guy I feel down about missing out on.

:bigcry:

Parker, McDyess, and Andy would turn my frown upside down!!!:D

Earl
07-07-2009, 09:49 AM

As far as I know?

KIisKing
07-07-2009, 09:51 AM
This news made my day, but it doesnt mean much till he signs an extension or signs a max contract next year.

Danny is going to have his best night sleep since 2006.

KilgoreTrout
07-07-2009, 10:09 AM
If LeBron truly wants to be like Michael and Kobe, I'm sure he see's that they never changed teams to get their rings.

LeBron isn't dumb, and without turning this into a 2010 thread, I have always believed he was going to stay.

Or he could be like Shaq, and switch teams to win 4 titles...

theSTEREO.
07-07-2009, 10:11 AM
A couple thoughts...

I agree with what Camakazee said earlier (I think it was him), is that we lost out on our top 3 targets for very understandable reasons:

1) Charlie V got offered a ton more money at the last second. He's young, and you can hardly blame him

2) Artest had 2 choices: Play with Kobe Bryant on the defending champs in LA which he loves and already has a home in. Or, play with LBJ in Cleveland for the same money. All in all, he couldn't lose in his decision, and he opted for sunny LA.

3) Ariza had a choice between two teams offering identical money, and although in Cleveland he'd be on another title contender, he'd still be largely playing out of position, or behind another SF that already plays 42 of 48 minutes, vs starting and getting showcased.

So that said, it still sounds like when LBJ made his pitch to these guys, it gave them serious pause to consider Cleveland for some time, which is probably more than they would have otherwise.

Also, think about Shaq. There has to be a degree of belief in his mind that LBJ would be here past next year, otherwise I doubt we'd be hearing all the lobbying for an extension. Of all people, with all the cap room floating around next summer, I doubt it'd be hard to pick up one more 2 year contract for him. However, it sure sounds like he's planning on finishing out his career here.

Just a few thoughts really. I don't think it means a WHOLE lot until LBJ actually signs a contract here, but it sure does mean something. It would seriously be a major A-hole thing to do to say things like "Of COURSE I'll be here" to someone that will be his teammate, if it didn't have some sort of truth to it. Otherwise, he would have said "We'll see" or "I'm just focusing on this season now".

theSTEREO.
07-07-2009, 10:13 AM

LBJ signed his last contract on July 18. By the rules, he and the Cavs can't sign an extension until July 18, 2009.

At least, I'm pretty sure.

tgunner333
07-07-2009, 10:18 AM
not sure if anyone posted anything along these lines, but can you imagine the amount of press this would be getting if when asked the same quetion he even said something along the lines of : "well i'd love to be here, but we'll see when the time comes" or "i cant promise that"

He wouldnt have had to say "no way ill be there" for this to made a bigger story than it is right now. Maybe thats just the cynic in me but whatever

Green Lantern
07-07-2009, 10:20 AM
OF COURSE, we could be going through what the Heat are right now with Wade..I'm sure they're not sitting back glowing after his comments:

Right now," Wade said Monday, "my thought is that I will use my flexibility next summer."

TAS
07-07-2009, 10:30 AM
*Goes to Knicks forums*

BryanMac22
07-07-2009, 10:33 AM
*Goes to Knicks forums*

Actually already checked one out, don't do it, it will just piss you off.

They are 100% sure LeBron is lying.

But if LeBron told Ariza he wasn't staying they would be already penciling him in their 2010 line-up. :rolleyes:

Maximus
07-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Ariza said he thought it was a "recruiting tool" and did not believe him. He certainly said it though. This isn't a surprise to many of us, but it seems to be one to many in this thread. Ariza is an idiot for not believing it. I predicted a few days ago in here LeBron would pick up his option in 2010 and sign an extension for 3 years sometime this summer.

BTW; LeBron can NOT sign an extension until July 18th. Heck; the Cavs can NOT make an offer to him until July 9th. What's the date today anyway? Oh.......

If he is going to sign this summer as you are predicting, it's idiotic that he would wait until the 18th to announce it. He should have announced it around July 1st for the benefit of the team. It's going to be a MAX contract, so it wouldnt hurt him to announce early. If he wanted to make a splash, he could've welcomed Shaq via sattelite during his press conference. Then announced his intention to sign an extension on the 18th. That would have made a real statement and changed free agency. It would have been the main story for the last week and FA's probably would've been more motivated to come here. :thumbup:

Instead, we are reading articles about Lebron's potential departure and how teams are clearing cap space to make a run at him next summer. :(

TAS
07-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Actually already checked one out, don't do it, it will just piss you off.

They are 100% sure LeBron is lying.

But if LeBron told Ariza he wasn't staying they would be already penciling him in their 2010 line-up. :rolleyes:
I love reading the following boards:

Knicks
Lakers
Celtics
Wizards

It's pure comedy because they are so naive.

bucksprime99
07-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Also, think about Shaq. There has to be a degree of belief in his mind that LBJ would be here past next year, otherwise I doubt we'd be hearing all the lobbying for an extension. Of all people, with all the cap room floating around next summer, I doubt it'd be hard to pick up one more 2 year contract for him. However, it sure sounds like he's planning on finishing out his career here.

This is a fantastic, amazing, wonderful point.

Ev0710
07-07-2009, 10:39 AM
If he is going to sign this summer as you are predicting, it's idiotic that he would wait until the 18th to announce it. He should have announced it around July 1st for the benefit of the team. It's going to be a MAX contract, so it wouldnt hurt him to announce early. If he wanted to make a splash, he could've welcomed Shaq via sattelite during his press conference. Then announced his intention to sign an extension on the 18th. That would have made a real statement and changed free agency. It would have been the main story for the last week and FA's probably would've been more motivated to come here. :thumbup:

Instead, we are reading articles about Lebron's potential departure and how teams are clearing cap space to make a run at him next summer. :(

That makes complete sense. Does anybody else think that Lebron and Nike have some sort of puppet/other ad campaign lined up for his 2010 decision? Maybe that is why he hasn't issued a formal announcement?

RchfldCavRaised
07-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Im in the same frame of thinking as Max

I dont want to rationalize the thinking of the FA's and say that other factors were what ultimately made their decisions.

Trevor Ariza's camp just snitched on Bron, but in doing so, he validated concerns that most of us forward thinkers have had since even before the draft.

LeBron is showing a willingness to put himself and his off court interests above the team and the teams ability to get better right now.

Theres no way to spin that, and its really disheartening as a Cav fan.

Not disheartening from the standpoint of thinking Bron will leave, not at all. But more in the sense of, Im sure our roster would be ahead of each of the 2 contenders who I feel have leap frogged us since the offseason began... LA and San Antonio, if LeBron would have committed publicly

This Free Agent summer, our pitch should have been... who's going to be the missing piece to help us get multiple championships from here on out?

Instead, the conversation amongst FA's and everyone outside of Cleveland has still been... Will LeBron leave next summer?

I hope the message is getting through to leBron. You cant turn on and off the media or drive the headlines once the momentum gets going on a particular topic.

Since he arrived on the scene, he's been able to steer the media's focus, in one way or another. Not this summer.

This snowball of a story that LeBron is tampering with to keep his name in headlines, has become something of a avalanche. Its not just affecting whether or not he's selling shoes in NY or whether or not his jersey is a top seller in the metro areas... its handicapping our front office's ability to add top level talent next to him for an extended period of time.

I keep saying, there is no telling what trade ideas were on the table this past deadline, or maybe even deadlines past, where Ferry needed a commitment from a potential target to resign or maybe was shot down because that target didnt believe that Bron would stay. I know trades dont work like FA, but players of high caliber, who require giving up talent and asset in order to acquire, certainly come at a price tag that many GM's arent willing to pay unless they know the player approves the trade and is joining our organization in the right mindset.

Regardless of what happens this upcoming season, Im no longer holding Ferry accountable for opportunities which could have been, or might have been, but were never realized over the past two summers.

We'll never know how handicapped our FO really is as a result of Bron wanting to control the media.

LyXo
07-07-2009, 10:40 AM
LeBron? My thoughts are that he wants to maximize his earning potential. He can make the most if he waits to opt out next year and sign a max deal, rather than extend now. This was discussed when we signed a 3 year instead of the full 5 year extension he was eligible for. Maybe the few million is worth it, though, he has to figure that into the equation.

Ariza... it was mentioned that he's got his ring already. He's young and about to enter his prime. If he has a chance to be featured - what player wouldn't want to be - then he should take it. If he puts up huge numbers even on a bad team, he has a much better potential to get paid a larger contract.

Coming to Cleveland, he'd pay state tax, he'd compete with Delonte for a starting spot, with no guarantees. He'd get to play next to LeBron and Shaq... does he want that, after playing with Kobe and Gasol already? Does he want to win, or does he want to expand his game without boundaries and restrictions?

Anyways... we should start a thread...

DELONTE WEST TELL US YOU'LL COME OFF THE BENCH SO ARIZA CAN COME HERE

asshole.

bucksprime99
07-07-2009, 10:42 AM

When Shaq lobbied for an extension during the presser, LeBron should have come in from back stage and clobbered him with a folding chair, then got on the mic and declared "I'll be the ONLY ONE lobbying for an extension around here!" thereby setting himself up as a huge face and Shaq as a heel, until Shaq joined the LWO midseason.

Splitz
I find it funny that Lebron blew his entire 2010 wad after being tight lipped for so long, on an average player like Ariza.

Chris
OF COURSE, we could be going through what the Heat are right now with Wade..I'm sure they're not sitting back glowing after his comments:

The difference is the Cavs make a deep playoff run every year.

BryanMac22
I love reading the following boards:

Knicks
Lakers
Celtics
Wizards

It's pure comedy because they are so naive.

Exactly, they LeBron and Cav bash, but it's because they are afraid of us. Plus, they are very delusional. Celtics fans claimed we would be taking a major step back in the East if we added Artest :chuckles:

But back on topic, I agree that LeBron's verbal doesn't mean much and I understand that it is in the teams best interest for him to extend this summer, but can't he make more money by waiting until next summer to sign long term?

TAS
07-07-2009, 10:50 AM
The only source the media had on the "LeBron to New York" story is that he cheers for the gayest team in sports history.

Silky Smooth
07-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I dont understand how you are recruited by both Lebron James and Shaq and allowed Lebron to basically blow his cover for 2010 and you still want to go to a Houston team that is going to be horrible for a future. It's just odd to me that from a basketball standpoint he would do that.

I also dont understand why we didnt guarrente a starting spot for him. He would be horrible off the bench anyways. I find that really odd.

Urban
07-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't understand why we didn't say you can start at SF, we'll move LeBron to PF. After all, Ariza played SF in LA, not SG.

LeBron can pretty much play any position but Center.

bucksprime99
07-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I also dont understand why we didnt guarrente a starting spot for him. He would be horrible off the bench anyways. I find that really odd.

Because everybody competes. I'm not a fan of guaranteeing ANYBODY a starting spot, period, on any sports team, ever.

Silky Smooth
07-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Because everybody competes. I'm not a fan of guaranteeing ANYBODY a starting spot, period, on any sports team, ever.

But that probably was the biggest reason for us not getting him. Also there is no way Ariza would be good coming off the bench. Delonte has always been looked at as being able to play the Manu Ginobli spot on our team.

Lee
07-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Another thought could be with adding ariza to the nucleus and possibly something for z in a trade, Lebron feels confident about staying here. But, as the roster currently stands, he is not happy yet about commiting and he is waiting to see what the roster will look like moving foward if he commits. Like the free agents, he wants to see what the team looks like before comminting another3-5 years.

In that sense, i cant say i blame him.

Prime 1978
07-07-2009, 11:06 AM
I dont understand how you are recruited by both Lebron James and Shaq and allowed Lebron to basically blow his cover for 2010 and you still want to go to a Houston team that is going to be horrible for a future. It's just odd to me that from a basketball standpoint he would do that.

It to me sounded like he didn't trust LeBrons word. He said it felt like a sale's pitch.

Lee
07-07-2009, 11:10 AM

He is still very young and in Houston he will be a featured player. This year without yao he can establish himself as a team leader and option 1 or 2 on offense, especially when t-mac gets hurt...which he will. He already has a ring, but he doesnt have that big pay day. If he can average 20 points in houston, his next contract will be close to a max contract. If he comes to cleveland, plays a role, and is option 3 or 4 behind Lebron, Shaq and even Mo..plays out of position,...he is looking at the same battle odom is going though, talented player who played a role on a championship team, but doesnt get overpaid beceause his numbers werent inflated.

CV just got 8 million a year because he was the 2nd scoring option on a bad team. Its a smart decision when looking at his future financial security, and lets be honest, he already played with Kobe and won a ring, He knows what that feels like....now he is doing what it takes to make double digit millions a year. I dont blame him one bit. He made the right decision for him.

Dirk Gently
07-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Obviously starting was more important for Ariza than ANYTHING else. Otherwise LeBron committing wouldn't mean anything either way. I don't think the Rockets are significantly better than a LeBron-less Cavs. So his worry could never have been that LeBron was going to leave.

The shame here is that Ariza is an ideal 6th man for the Cavs. He can fill in the Wally role perfectly, allowing the Cavs to play small ball often with Lebron at the 4. I don't like that as a starting lineup (except maybe against the Magic) but it can be deadly for stretches of games. Ariza gives the Cavs more flexibility as far as match ups they can do, and as a 6th man, he can be deadly against second team guys.

Ron Mexic
07-07-2009, 11:15 AM

I think it is hilarious that Houston promised to build their offense around an 11ppg scorer. Good luck with that, Houston.

Prime 1978
07-07-2009, 11:18 AM
I started a thread a few weeks ago that said LeBron could make Ferry's job easier. There were a few (flamez) that basically said I was foolish for thinking so. There were also a lot that agreed with me even for different reasons..

I think that there's no question what the answer is now...LeBron could definitely make Ferry's job easier!!!

Not that it was the end all be all of any of the negotiations, I do find it important to note that it's been on the mind of players we have had interest in. When I say we I'm talking about us as fans because we really don't know who Ferry has interest in outside of Ariza and a very few others.

From Broussard's interview, Shaq brought it up, Artest brought it up, and now Ariza has brought it up. LeBron staying is a situation of concern for players who may consider coming here and he could make this team a lot more attractive by signing. Or at least giving a strong indication that he plans to do so. Just like kobe is doing with the Lakers....

http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.php?t=21695

Gordon Bombay
07-07-2009, 11:22 AM
the way ariza comes off (with him wanting to be the man), we would have had a better chance at signing him if lebron would have said he was leaving after next year

Silky Smooth
07-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I think we will make another push for Ariza. I think this time we put on the full court press and have Shaq and Lebron talk to him one more time and if that doesnt work and Ariza wants a committment from Lebron i think he may sign an extension this off season. For Lebron to come out and say im staying in Cleveland, he just blew some smoke onto the free agency of 2010. If Lebron really wants Ariza, signing an extension maybe the way to go.

bucksprime99
07-07-2009, 11:26 AM
But that probably was the biggest reason for us not getting him. Also there is no way Ariza would be good coming off the bench. Delonte has always been looked at as being able to play the Manu Ginobli spot on our team.

If he can't stomach competing, and just wants a starting spot handed to him on a platter, he can go to another city, I want no part of him. He's a coward and wants to blow up the ship and run away.

Ev0710
07-07-2009, 11:27 AM
the way ariza comes off (with him wanting to be the man), we would have had a better chance at signing him if lebron would have said he was leaving after next year

That's what I don't get. If he wanted to play next to a superstar.....why go to Houston? Maybe it's not that Ariza didn't believe LeBron? Maybe he does think that LeBron IS going to stay and that is why he picked Houston. Weird.

Silky Smooth
07-07-2009, 11:29 AM
If he can't stomach competing, and just wants a starting spot handed to him on a platter, he can go to another city, I want no part of him. He's a coward and wants to blow up the ship and run away.

OK but do you believe he would be a better fit off the bench than Delonte? Delonte would be perfect of the bench and Ariza would be perfect in a starting role. Guarrentting a starting role shouldnt of been that big of a deal.

Prime 1978
07-07-2009, 11:30 AM
That's what I don't get. If he wanted to play next to a superstar.....why go to Houston? Maybe it's not that Ariza didn't believe LeBron? Maybe he does think that LeBron IS going to stay and that is why he picked Houston. Weird.

He definitely didn't believe him according to sources..it's quoted in the article...

Ariza, who had accepted a five-year, $33.5 million offer from the Rockets last Thursday, also received telephone calls from James and Shaquille O'Neal. When James told Ariza he'd be a Cavalier past next season, Ariza was less than convinced.

udilicious42584
07-07-2009, 11:31 AM

Yeah, maybe with Ariza everything works backwards. If LeBron told him that he was going to leave Cleveland then Ariza might sign on to be the star here. I don't know if Ariza is trying to be the next Kobe Bryant or something, but he is killing himself by going to Houston. He will totally take himself out of the spotlight. Who is going to care about what that team does next season? WEIRD!

Ev0710
07-07-2009, 11:33 AM
He definitely didn't believe him according to sources..it's quoted in the article...

Right. And that's what I was saying. Maybe contrary to what was printed or quoted by the source...Ariza DOES BELIEVE that LeBron is staying in Cleveland. Based on his desire to be the man, CLE wouldn't fit and he wanted to play on a team without a superstar.

Prime 1978
07-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Right. And that's what I was saying. Maybe contrary to what was printed or quoted by the source...Ariza DOES BELIEVE that LeBron is staying in Cleveland. Based on his desire to be the man, CLE wouldn't fit and he wanted to play on a team without a superstar.

That may be the case as well...especially consdering that he has a ring already

sailfish
I think we will make another push for Ariza. I think this time we put on the full court press and have Shaq and Lebron talk to him one more time and if that doesnt work and Ariza wants a committment from Lebron i think he may sign an extension this off season. For Lebron to come out and say im staying in Cleveland, he just blew some smoke onto the free agency of 2010. If Lebron really wants Ariza, signing an extension maybe the way to go.

If they're going to make one last push for Ariza, they had better act quickly as he can sign with Houston starting tomorrow. I noticed Ariza has a toddler and one of his concerns was not being too far from his son in LA. If I'm the Cavaliers, I send Lebron, Savanannah, their kids as well as Shaq & his kids and try to get them all together with Ariza & his son. The Cavaliers stress a 'family atmosphere' and here is an opportunity to show that.

If Ariza is truly wavering then they need to act quick and stress how his chances of winning another title will be much greater in Cleveland than in Houston. They also need to show him the love, as one of the reasons he committed to Houston is they showed how badly they wanted him, which included Adelman having lunch with his 3 straight days.

Splitz

It's a win/win for us either way. He signs the extension and we retain him for several more seasons and we don't get Ariza or he signs it and we do get Ariza so it's more like a win/super win. Sign the damn extension and let's get this thing popping Lebron.

bucksprime99
07-07-2009, 11:36 AM
OK but do you believe he would be a better fit off the bench than Delonte? Delonte would be perfect of the bench and Ariza would be perfect in a starting role. Guarrentting a starting role shouldnt of been that big of a deal.

I don't think you 'think' these things...you try them out and see what works. We can 'think' that Delonte'd be great coming off the bench and Ariza would be great starting, but until it's put into practice and actually WORKS that way, you don't guarantee anything.

For all we know, if we get a stretch PF and having Shaq, maybe Delonte starting will be awesome or something. The dynamics of this team are far from established, imo. The addition of Shaq and uncertainty at the starting PF spot make it impossible to be sure of anything.

It's cool. Ariza just won a ring and he's young, it's understandable he's all about being a star and dollar signs.

BRInQ
07-07-2009, 11:36 AM
IMO, Ariza wants to solidify himself as a premier player in the league. He wanted to be the #1/#2 option. The only problem with is he committed to the yao less, artest less, injury plagued t-mac rockets.

Ariza is a talented player, but he doesn't have the tools yet to be THE MAN. he was like the 6th option on the lakers.

Going to the rockets could seriously derail his future. but a least he has guts & is giving it a shot, it could pan out for him.

bucksprime99
07-07-2009, 11:38 AM
IMO, Ariza wants to solidify himself as a premier player in the league. He wanted to be the #1/#2 option. The only problem with is he committed to the yao less, artest less, injury plagued t-mac rockets.

The only problem, imo, is that he's not "premier player" talented...

Damien O'Connel
07-07-2009, 11:42 AM
espn is acting like this means nothing. If he had said he was leaving espn would have banners in NY up right now. This is so ridiculous.

FuneralOfHearts
07-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Ariza wanting to be a star is admirable in a way, it shows great ambition, who the hell WANTS to be a role player? Nobody grows up dreaming of being a situational defender or spot up shooter, they all want to be the star. He's got his ring, now he wants to find out if he has what it takes to be the guy he saw in his dreams making game winners and carrying the team on his back. If he fails, so what, at least he'll know for sure, and as I said, he already has a ring, which is more than some of the best to ever play can claim.

Silky Smooth
07-07-2009, 11:43 AM
If Lebron was willing to come out and say he is staying past 2010, I think for Ariza to come here Lebron would be willing to sign the extension this offseason. If he really wants Ariza and him signing the extension gets Ariza in a Cavs uniform then i think we may very well see Lebron sign it this offseason.

Lee
07-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Ariza wanting to be a star is admirable in a way, it shows great ambition, who the hell WANTS to be a role player? Nobody grows up dreaming of being a situational defender or spot up shooter, they all want to be the star. He's got his ring, now he wants to find out if he has what it takes to be the guy he saw in his dreams making game winners and carrying the team on his back. If he fails, so what, at least he'll know for sure, and as I said, he already has a ring, which is more than some of the best to ever play can claim.

This is a point I cant reiterate enough. Ariza wants to be the man, or one of the top guns on the team he goes too. For ego and for personal gain. Almost all athletes have egos, its the nature of the beast of being a top competitior. There is not a free agent we lost that I would expect us not to loose. The fact is Ariza went to Houston to have a bigger role in the offense than we can promise. The fact is, Artest owns a home already in LA and wants to be a rapper. Not many rap albums getting airplay that were cut in Cleveland. And the fact is CV was paid significantly more than we could offer. We arent going to lure a young star with the mle and the lure of playing with shaq and lebron...thats actually a deterant. They only player that will come here is one that is over 32 chasing a ring or one that thinks our offer is the best financially and to showcase his talents. Thing is we have a talented team, so its tough on the last part. We will get 1 or 2 complimentry parts via free agency...mcdyss, parker, frye, etc...we want another major contribute, we need to offer our expiring (z) and young talent (jj, boobi, draft picks, etc) to get that piece.

Good news is, the entity known as wine and gold thinks we have a trade in us still.

ssvilar
07-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Source: LeBron didn't tell telling Ariza he is for sure staying with the Cavs past '10.Not that he won't, mind you, but not recruiting pitc

From Windy, not even sure what he means really.

raisen
Source: LeBron didn't tell telling Ariza he is for sure staying with the Cavs past '10.Not that he won't, mind you, but not recruiting pitch

http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

Joe Henderson
Windhorst:

Source: LeBron didn't tell telling Ariza he is for sure staying with the Cavs past '10.Not that he won't, mind you, but not recruiting pitch

https://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

The Common Man
07-07-2009, 11:55 AM
yeah. what the fuck is windy saying? i'm not even sure that tweet makes sense.

Damien O'Connel
07-07-2009, 11:55 AM
what the hell?

fudd
07-07-2009, 11:58 AM
It's such an event to post Windy's twitter updates. We need to just designate the responsibility of posting Windy Twitters to one-- maybe two people. This gets out of hand.

Joe Henderson
07-07-2009, 11:59 AM
looks like he's trying to deny Broussard's claim about what Lebron told Ariza. It doesn't mean that Lebron will bolt, but he didn't commit as part of a recruiting pitch. just guessing here folks.
i mean, he's only in the news business, who could expect him to write an intelligible sentence, right? :chuckles:

OnTheReg
07-07-2009, 12:02 PM
looks like he's trying to deny Broussard's claim about what Lebron told Ariza. It doesn't mean that Lebron will bolt, but he didn't commit as part of a recruiting pitch. just guessing here folks.
i mean, he's only in the news business, who could expect him to write an intelligible sentence, right? :chuckles:

You try living in a 140-character reality and see how eloquent you are....

chiefwahoo
07-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Another BREAKING WIND update!

TAS
07-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Source close to LeBron James denies ESPN report that he told Trevor Ariza he was staying with Cleveland Cavaliers

CLEVELAND -- According to a source close to LeBron James, the current NBA Most Valuable Player did not tell free agent Trevor Ariza that he was for sure going to be with the Cavaliers past 2010.

Earlier today ESPN.com reported James told Ariza "I'll be there. Of course, I'll be there" as part of the Cavs' recruiting pitch to land the coveted 6-foot-8 swingman. The report said Ariza deemed the statement to be a ploy to convince him to drop a commitment to sign with the Houston Rockets. The source close to James indicated it wasn't even a ploy.

ESPN also reported that Cavs general manager Danny Ferry and coach Mike Brown met with Ariza on Sunday in Los Angeles, after he'd committed to go to the Rockets last week, in an effort to get him to change his mind. The Plain Dealer previously reported Ferry and Brown were in L.A. on a recruiting mission that day.

James has repeatedly given assurances that he has no plans or reason to leave the Cavs after his contract is up following the 2009-10 season. He fully endorsed the Cavs' trade for Shaquille O'Neal and expressed significant excitement as the team continues to upgrade following a 66-win season.

He's been active in the recruitment for free agents Ron Artest and Ariza and likely other players the Cavs currently are considering. Yet there have been hints throughout the free agent process that James' contract status is hampering the Cavs to a certain extent in their mission to add free agents.

However, James has always left his statements open ended and has given an indication that he will become a free agent next summer to allow himself options. The Cavs can present him with a contract extension offer at any time and he can sign it any time from July 18 to June 30 of next year.

James has said he will consider the option and speak with his friends and family before making a decision. Much like friends Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, though, it is generally expected James will not commit to the extension this summer and wait until after next season before deciding on his future.

Also like Bosh and Wade, James owns a one-year player option for $17 million he can pick up for the 2010-11 season.

Source: Cleveland.com (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/07/source_close_to_lebron_james_d.html)

Someone update the title.

MoFlo
07-07-2009, 12:03 PM

Nobody when it's on twitter..

The character limit really puts a hamper on the english language

theSTEREO.
07-07-2009, 12:04 PM

Keep trying Chief :chuckles:

-KingofKings23-
07-07-2009, 12:06 PM

I thought I smelled somthing funny.

Prime 1978
07-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Wow..isn't this the perfect way to cap our summer as Cavs fans after we get Shaq...

We are going to trade up in the draft..only to stand pat

We are getting CV....to only end up not getting him.

We are getting Ron Artest...to only not end up getting him

We are getting Trevor Ariza...to only not get him

Well at least we got a verbal commitment from LeBron...only to find out he may not even had said that either....

Sigh!!!!

Corey
07-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Oh what a tangled web we weave, when at first, we deceive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r270/cmcx360/CX360RCFSig1.png

bucksprime99
07-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Wow. I wondered if LeBron would have the guts to come out and say this was a lie...even through an intermediary.

IMO, this could get ugly...

MDLT
07-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Certainly could news for the organization, fans, and the city but I'll believe when his name is on the dotted line. I've always thought he'd stay, but I just can't get my hopes up b/c of one article - though I believe he said it.

Wow. I wondered if LeBron would have the guts to come out and say this was a lie...even through an intermediary.

IMO, this could get ugly...

Wait, did I miss something?

All Day Cavs
07-07-2009, 12:12 PM
I never thought id see the day espn was reporting lebron is staying and a cleveland paper deniying it...Weird!

Lee
07-07-2009, 12:14 PM

I say since this a Breaking Wind twatter report, from now on we should shorten this (obviously according to twatter the smaller the better) and from her on out refer to these type of reports from windy as a queef...ie a breaking wind from a twat.

Lee
07-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Wow..isn't this the perfect way to cap our summer as Cavs fans after we get Shaq...

We are going to trade up in the draft..only to stand pat

We are getting CV....to only end up not getting him.

We are getting Ron Artest...to only not end up getting him

We are getting Trevor Ariza...to only not get him

Well at least we got a verbal commitment from LeBron...only to find out he may not even had said that either....

Sigh!!!!

It was also reported we are trading for shaq, a center coming off an all star performance were he was elected in...not voted in...and that proved to be true....so this off season isnt all bad.

Also, we havent overpaid for a role player this summer, so that too is good news. (see donyell marshal and damon jones)

Frank Stallone
07-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Yeah. I have a very bad feeling about this. One part of me thinks he will come out and say that he is going to stay, and it will release endless amounts of pressure of him and the organization. But another part feels that the denial only means bad news for us and that he actually is thinking about leaving. I have felt all along he never has had intentions on leaving.

GilbertForPres
07-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Maybe he is just saying he didn't say it so he doesn't lose his leverage?

MDLT
07-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Why would Ariza lie? Is it not far more likely Windhorst's source is doing PR damage control, so as to give LeBron leeway if he happens to change his mind?

I don't think it gets ugly b/c Gilbert/Ferry will put the fire out.

MYoung23
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4311048

Sources: LeBron denies Ariza's story

LeBron James did not tell Trevor Ariza he would stay in Cleveland past 2010, according to sources close to the Cavaliers' superstar -- contradicting what a person close to Ariza said Monday night.

That source said that James told Ariza he planned to remain with the Cavaliers past next summer, when he can become a free agent. James could not be reached for comment Monday night, but on Tuesday, sources who spoke to James said the story told by the person close to Ariza was wrong.

Silky Smooth
WTF?! I hate the media.

theSTEREO.
07-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Did anyone seriously think that LBJ was going to just let this slide?

He's made an art form of being ambiguous about 2010. This is most likely just damage control.

And read the article and the twitter post.... He just denied that this line was part of the pitch to Ariza. How many times have teams and players and agents denied something when it actually did happen because they don't want to reveal their hand.

Ariza's people blew it if LBJ really said this, because I'm sure that saying it to Ariza, Artest, Shaq, etc. was predicated on keeping their mouth shut about it. Now Ariza's guy lets it slip and the LBJ camp is just still trying to maintain the status quo.

And it's a good point too... Why would Ariza & his people lie? They have no reason to. LBJ's camp has every reason to deny it, and deny it fast.

It really goes back to the same thing. When Lebron signs the contract, we'll know. Til then, we all just keep guessing.

Mr. Glass
Somebody lied, whoever they are can kiss my ass. Includes you too LeBron.

Lee
Why would Ariza lie? Is it not far more likely Windhorst's source is doing PR damage control, so as to give LeBron leeway if he happens to change his mind?

I don't think it gets ugly b/c Gilbert/Ferry will put the fire out.

That is the most likely, I agree. Look, Lebron I am sure is heavily leaning toward staying, but is trying to keep the hype up and the pressure on. We have yet to loose a player because he didnt commit. Everyone went for other reasons....so far....but when the aging vets start to fall and if we loose them, then it could be an issue. Ring chasing free agents might care, as they are interested in signing a 2 or 3 year deal...but then again they might only want a one year deal and a ring. At this time the only one I can think of is Mcdyss...but his loyalty to the detroit training staff makes him most likely to stay a piston imo.

SixPACK
07-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I know it's just RealGM, but if L.A. doesn't want to pay Odom his $10 million/year, and can only offer him the BAE, do you think we will make a move for him? (I know there has been stories/posts on him already, but just saw this and I don't think it has been posted yet/mentioned)

Lakers, Odom Far Apart In Negotiations

There has been no movement in negotiations between the Lakers and free-agent forward Lamar Odom.

Odom, who made $14.1 million last season, is asking for $10 million per year in a new contact. Los Angeles doesn't appear willing to grant his request, especially with their payroll increasing.

"There's really nothing to report," said a source.

If the Lakers don't re-sign Odom, there only spending tool is the biannual exception, an offer of a two-year contract starting at $1.99 million.

"I hope so," Kobe Bryant said of Odom returning. "He better be."

Joe Henderson
07-07-2009, 12:24 PM
You try living in a 140-character reality and see how eloquent you are....

not to hijack the thread, but actually, many people in news manage to be eloquent in even less space. Turn on your favorit news channel and look at the bottom of the screen, you get your news there in 50-60 characters. Not to mention newswires, who oftern communicate in "flash" headlines that are sometimes even shorter. And are they eloquent and accurate? You bet they are, or they will face the wrath of investors losing money if they fail to be so.

Better yet, open today's paper or look at any news web site and concentrate only on the headlines on stories. Most of them will give you a pretty good idea about what's going on in less than 10 words. In journalism school, one of the earliest exercises is to try telling stories in just 3 words.

So yes, it's possible. And as the tweets are part of Windy's job, it's even expected.

Not trying to be an ass here, i know he was more worried about getting the information out there, but since you called me out on it, i thought i'd elaborate a bit. Sorry if the post was a bit on the long side.

Now, back to worrying sick about Lebron leaving in a year.

chiefwahoo
Unnamed sources say Ariza's unnamed sources aren't as knowledgeable as LBJ's unnamed sources.

MDLT
I feel like this actually clears somethings up.

In short, LeBron is pretty sure - though not absolutely certain - that he will remain in Cleveland. However, he wants to give himself space to maneuver in case the team regresses, which happens from time to time. But moreover, its too keep his name in the 2010 spotlight, which generates enormous amounts of publicity via ESPN and major sports websites.

Its good for the Cavs and their fans, IF you can deal with the hoopla that James has always seemed to enjoy and crave.

I've thought this for awhile and I'm sure many of you always did as well, but this sheds more light onto that.

Shawn817
07-07-2009, 12:27 PM
I know it's just RealGM, but if L.A. doesn't want to pay Odom his $10 million/year, and can only offer him the BAE, do you think we will make a move for him? (I know there has been stories/posts on him already, but just saw this and I don't think it has been posted yet/mentioned)

We can offer him more than the BAE, what they are saying is we can only use the BAE if we lose him.... 7M is what the lakers want him for 10M is what he wants so nothing has moved.

flamez
07-07-2009, 12:30 PM
I think Lebron really did tell Ariza that he would stay. He just didn't want that kind of information leaked, I honestly believe that.

He wants to keep his leverage and pressure on the organization. He also loves the attention and wants the stories of him leaving to continue until the day he finally signs. It's great marketing and hype. Lebron loves those things.

Silky Smooth
07-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Unnamed sources say Ariza's unnamed sources aren't as knowledgeable as LBJ's unnamed sources.

Im hearing the unnamed source told Ariza's unnamed source that Lebron's unnamed source want him to STFU!!:thumbup:

jvpertz
07-07-2009, 12:31 PM
ESPN probably used the same Lebron source from 2003 when said source declared that Lebron would never ever play in Cleveland.

Akron83
07-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I am so sick of this story. We have been hearing about 2010 for 2 years now and LeBron has obviously thrown gas on the fire. I really wish he would sign an extension, but we all know he isn't. The fact that he had someone go out of their way to dispute the Broussard article, imo, speaks volumes.

theSTEREO.
07-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Not sure if ya'll saw this, but Brother Redbush posted this while playing for Wine & Gold off the bench a little bit ago. Relates to all of this:

had a long talk with w/g today. he actually has had the chance to talk to quite a few people today and get caught up on things. i told him about what's been in the news today regarding lebron opening up about his plans to remain in cleveland.

he says that he's pretty much spelled the facts regarding this out to you guys in the past. that he knows that he's staying here, as does chris bosh and joe johnson. and that he's had the opportunity to talk over the long range plans so that between lebron, our front office, and other top prospective free agents, they know that we have all our ducks in a row waiting for the right moment.

i would anticipate that any key signing we look to make this offsesaon, that he would offer up the fact that he's plannng on staying here longterm.
w/g did say that lebron would likely be very upset if ariza did offer that confodential information to the public. he never should have done so, and lebron wants it to stay close to the hip until HE decides it's time to reveal his intentions..

one other thing he told me is that we now think a very strong possiblity exists that john kuester will be leaving us for detroit.

this would lead to a restructuring of our staff.

that means that we could possibly look at options outside the organization, but, we may very welll promote from within as well.

he'll be involved in those discussions if kuester does indeed become the next head coach of the pistons.

he said that nothing has happened yet in this free agency period that has disapointed us, or changed our plan of attack. he said more than anything. they have been pleasantly surprised by the state of affairs as they stand now in respect to achieving our goals this summer.

he said things will really heat up for us in the coming two/three days as we'll lock in on targets and now finally go after what we feel are our top targets.

he's told mev to let you guys know he'll be back online this weekend when he gets back to the states.

i've gotta run now, have an appt. , but he had some more info that i'll pass alomg later tonight. he said he mioght be calling back as well.

Joe Henderson
07-07-2009, 12:36 PM
ESPN probably used the same Lebron source from 2003 when said source declared that Lebron would never ever play in Cleveland.

well, to be fair, we only have ourselves to blame for ever believing it. It was, afterall, unconfirmed

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/02/26/amd_stephen-smith.jpg

Frank Stallone
07-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Not sure if ya'll saw this, but Brother Redbush posted this while playing for Wine & Gold off the bench a little bit ago. Relates to all of this:

Basically Ariza and his unnamed sources friends don't know how to keep their mouthes shut? You know, at first I was respecting Ariza and wishing him the best. But now, not so much. This also probably seals the deal TREVOR 100% he is NOT coming to Cleveland.

theSTEREO.
07-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Basically Ariza and his unnamed sources friends don't know how to keep their mouthes shut? You know, at first I was respecting Ariza and wishing him the best. But now, not so much. This also probably seals the deal 100% he is NOT coming to Cleveland.

:huh:

Three6Pavia
07-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious that the only thing LeBron could do when this story came out was

1. Deny Deny Deny

or

2. Confirm the story and sign a contract extension.

Why in the world would he want to let up the pressure on the Cavs front office now?

GilbertForPres
07-07-2009, 12:40 PM

I think he meant Ariza not coming to Cleveland.

bucksprime99
I thought it was pretty obvious that the only thing LeBron could do when this story came out was

1. Deny Deny Deny

or

2. Confirm the story and sign a contract extension.

Why in the world would he want to let up the pressure on the Cavs front office now?

Yeah, because I'm sure if this supposed 'pressure' was off, the Cavs front office would just give up trying and bask in the security of LeBron's commitment to stay...

:rolleyes:

Cleveland56
Who gives a shit about Trevor Ariza? Seriously, Im so tired of hearing about him....

Are these Eric Snow's stats or Trevor Ariza? I can't tell.

Career Season Averages
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
04-05 NYK 80 12 17.3 0.442 0.231 0.695 1.1 1.9 3.0 1.1 0.9 0.2 0.91 1.90 5.9
05-06 NYK 36 10 19.7 0.418 0.333 0.545 1.4 2.4 3.8 1.3 1.2 0.2 1.28 2.20 4.6
05-06 ORL 21 0 13.8 0.400 0.000 0.700 1.4 2.5 3.9 0.7 0.7 0.1 0.76 1.00 4.7
06-07 ORL 57 7 22.4 0.539 0.000 0.620 1.7 2.6 4.4 1.1 1.0 0.3 1.47 2.40 8.9
07-08 ORL 11 0 10.5 0.452 0.000 0.533 0.5 1.7 2.2 0.7 0.4 0.3 0.45 0.80 3.3
07-08 LAL 24 3 18.0 0.524 0.333 0.683 1.0 2.5 3.5 1.5 1.1 0.3 0.75 1.50 6.5
08-09 LAL 82 20 24.4 0.460 0.319 0.710 1.4 2.9 4.3 1.8 1.7 0.3 1.06 2.00 8.9
Career -- 311 52 20.0 0.470 0.299 0.661 1.3 2.5 3.8 1.3 1.1 0.2 1.06 1.90 6.9

Splitz
Lebron is making us all feel like Savannah. We want the damn ring on our finger and the son of a bitch just won't get down on one knee and commit. Marry us Lebron, just marry us!

Thunder
07-07-2009, 12:42 PM
LeBron is lying.....

Akron83
07-07-2009, 12:43 PM
LeBron doesn't want to give away any leverage. None. I am 100% sure he told that to Ariza. Why would Ariza lie?

Frank Stallone
07-07-2009, 12:43 PM

I think he meant Ariza not coming to Cleveland.

Ha ha yeah, I mean't Trevor. Just because I knew it wasn't likely before but now if there is any chance Trevor turned his back on LeBron that most likely wouldn't sit well with the King.

breanna
07-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Lebron is making us all feel like Savannah. We want the damn ring on our finger and the son of a bitch just won't get down on one knee and commit. Marry us Lebron, just marry us!

LeBron is afraid of commitment...

Frank Stallone
07-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Who gives a shit about Trevor Ariza? Seriously, Im so tired of hearing about him....

Are these Eric Snow's stats or Trevor Ariza? I can't tell.

Career Season Averages
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
04-05 NYK 80 12 17.3 0.442 0.231 0.695 1.1 1.9 3.0 1.1 0.9 0.2 0.91 1.90 5.9
05-06 NYK 36 10 19.7 0.418 0.333 0.545 1.4 2.4 3.8 1.3 1.2 0.2 1.28 2.20 4.6
05-06 ORL 21 0 13.8 0.400 0.000 0.700 1.4 2.5 3.9 0.7 0.7 0.1 0.76 1.00 4.7
06-07 ORL 57 7 22.4 0.539 0.000 0.620 1.7 2.6 4.4 1.1 1.0 0.3 1.47 2.40 8.9
07-08 ORL 11 0 10.5 0.452 0.000 0.533 0.5 1.7 2.2 0.7 0.4 0.3 0.45 0.80 3.3
07-08 LAL 24 3 18.0 0.524 0.333 0.683 1.0 2.5 3.5 1.5 1.1 0.3 0.75 1.50 6.5
08-09 LAL 82 20 24.4 0.460 0.319 0.710 1.4 2.9 4.3 1.8 1.7 0.3 1.06 2.00 8.9
Career -- 311 52 20.0 0.470 0.299 0.661 1.3 2.5 3.8 1.3 1.1 0.2 1.06 1.90 6.9

The last 2 years (when you look at his MPG) coupled with his great playoff run really make him a good up and coming player to look out for. I think he may have meshed well in Cleveland. But it is over so it doesn't matter.

chiefwahoo
07-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Breaking Wind (or Queef)

TGFDG...

PDcavsinsiderLeBron attending elite Allen & Co. media conference in Idaho with Cavs owner Dan Gilbert starting tonight. Gilbert helped get LBJ invite

THE CAVS FAN
07-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Why do we keep talking about this? Am I seriously the only one here who feels 1000000000% sure that LeBron is here to stay? LeBron is not leaving and that should end all the talk about 2010. I understand we are Cleveland and we are used to dissapointment and failure, but LeBron is going to change that. LeBron will get his rings and they will be in Cleveland.

Frank Stallone
07-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Breaking Wind (or Queef)

TGFDG...

This queef confuses me...

chiefwahoo
07-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Why do we keep talking about this? Am I seriously the only one here who feels 1000000000% sure that LeBron is here to stay? LeBron is not leaving and that should end all the talk about 2010. I understand we are Cleveland and we are used to dissapointment and failure, but LeBron is going to change that. LeBron will get his rings and they will be in Cleveland.

http://www.realcavsfans.com/customavatars/avatar1088_6.gif

ice cream man
07-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Come on!
LeBron at the 4! Ariza at the 3!

Mo
Delonte
Ariza
LeBron
Shaq

Frank Stallone
07-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Come on!

Mo
Delonte
Ariza
LeBron
Shaq

:wtf:

FromTheSuburbs
07-07-2009, 01:11 PM
This queef confuses me...

Yea I don't quite understand this twat either. Can someone please explain?

Three6Pavia
07-07-2009, 01:13 PM

LeBron wants to be the first athlete billionaire, Gilbert is getting him in contact with some of the richest people in the world.

BooyaCS
07-07-2009, 01:14 PM
BW = Breaking Wind (when new story comes out) and since it is a Breaking Wind from a Twat it is called a Queef.

KIisKing
07-07-2009, 01:15 PM

Heres an article on it:

LeBron James attending prestigious conference with Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert
by Brian Windhorst / Plain Dealer Reporter

CLEVELAND -- LeBron James will be spending some time with friend Warren Buffett at the prestigious Allen & Company media industry conference in Sun Valley, Idaho.

But it wasn't Buffett who got James and LRMR Marketing CEO Maverick Carter the invite to the ultra-elite five-day conference that has been labeled as "summer camp for billionaires." It is a place for executives and movers and shakers in the media industry to share ideas and sometimes strike major deals.

According to a source, James got his extremely hard to secure invite with help from Cavaliers majority owner Dan Gilbert, who will be attending the event for the seventh consecutive year. Gilbert has been pushing for James to be included for the last couple years.

James and Gilbert are among about 260 guests and their families on the guest list, which is expected to include Bill Gates, Rupert Murdoch, NBA Commissioner David Stern, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, MLB Commissioner Bud Selig and NHL Commissioner Gary Bettmen.

Gilbert has a long-standing relationship with the New York-based Allen & Co. In fact, they were the firm that first approached Gilbert about buying the Cavs in 2004. He closed the $375 million purchase in March of 2005.

The New York Post hinted in a story Sunday that this would be an opportunity for New York Knicks owner James Dolan, who is part of the family that runs Cablevision and is attending for the first time, to spend time with James. Don't expect Gilbert, who has developed a strong relationship with both James and Carter over the last five years, to let that happen.

camakazee
07-07-2009, 01:16 PM
LeBron wants to be the first athlete billionaire, Gilbert is getting him in contact with some of the richest people in the world.

I know he continually says this, but if he truly believes he's going to be the first billionaire athlete, he'll be pretty pissed with a man named Tiger Woods in about two years.

Splitz
07-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I know he continually says this, but if he truly believes he's going to be the first billionaire athlete, he'll be pretty pissed with a man named Tiger Woods in about two years.

That's what I was thinking. Tiger has to be extremely close by now.

brooktown
07-07-2009, 01:18 PM

Maybe Lebron doesn't consider golfers athlete's......

Frank Stallone
07-07-2009, 01:19 PM
BW = Breaking Wind (when new story comes out) and since it is a Breaking Wind from a Twat it is called a Queef.

No i get that part. I just didn't understand at first what this meant.

SuperSurge
07-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Come on!

Mo
Delonte
Ariza
LeBron
Shaq

http://affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/wp-content/uploads/imagesskeptical-small.jpg

THE CAVS FAN
07-07-2009, 01:25 PM

I don't think anyone can consider a golfer an athlete

OnTheReg
07-07-2009, 01:25 PM

I know I don't! Any activity during which you can smoke, drink or take drugs precludes said activity from being 'athletic.' Golf is more similar to chess than it is to Baseball or Basketball. That's real.

Splitz
07-07-2009, 01:26 PM

This is only reinforced by the fact that Tiger is a huge Magic fan. Likely Lebron is choosing to overlook this man who is a great golfer but clearly not right in the head.

KI4MVP
07-07-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure it matters one way or the other until he signs - we had a verbal commitment from Boozer, Toronto had a verbal commitment from Turkalou. And assuming he signs here through, say, 2013, the talk will immediately switch from LeBron 2010 to LeBron 2013.

Walter White
07-07-2009, 01:27 PM
All I have seen of this thread is that Ariza is concerned if LeBron is gonna stay longer. What does it matter to him? We are the best team in the East and will be competeing for a ring this year and the year after IF lebron isn't here our team will still be better than Houstons.

KIisKing
07-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Ariza wasnt going to get serious about the Cavs for a few reasons:

1. His family and son live in L.A, Ariza coming to Cleveland would make him be away from his family for a long time.

2. Hes lived in L.A for all his life, Cleveland would be the North Pole to him.

3. Hes young and wants to start building his career long term. Ok so to build his career he would need defiant minutes and a lot of touches. He would have to share touches with Lebron, Mo, and Shaq. He would also be sharing his minutes with Delonte. Not exactly how you build your career.

4. Houston will be building there offense and future around him and Brooks now.

I think Houston is going to open up Ariza's career and I think thats why he choose them. He wasnt concerned about winning again he was concerned about his future. We cant do anything about that.

Bill Walton.
07-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Now I'm pissed off. LeBron is seriously a jerk. To come out and flat out deny the fact that he said that is so immature. I understand he wants leverage and I understand he wants to win, but can't he see that Danny Ferry, Dan Gilbert, the city, and the fans do everything in their power to worship the ground he walks on? The most exciting news we've heard in God knows how long, he denies?

This city deserves this. We've gone through 40+ years of losing. We've had seasons where we've been the worst team in the league, we've had seasons where we've been the best but come up short, we've had some of the greatest players to ever play and they end up leaving. We've been the face of failure for over 40 years. Then we finally get a break. We got arguably the best player in any sport since MJ, and instead of being able to enjoy it, we have to listen to the national media talk about how is going to leave in 2010.

We finally get one piece of news that makes us happy, and LeBron shoots it down. This is why I hate LeBron. I love what he does on the court and at times, I love what he does off the court. But his ego is disgusting and the whole 2010 thing is starting to piss me off. You can say "just ignore it and enjoy him now." It's hard to enjoy it though, when you can't go through a freaking Shaq press conference without a 2010 question. Idk about you guys but I'm getting really fvcking sick of this shit. All I want is LeBron to just help out this city and probably FO by signing an extension. I'm seriously fed up with it.

camakazee
07-07-2009, 01:42 PM
I know I don't! Any activity during which you can smoke, drink or take drugs precludes said activity from being 'athletic.' Golf is more similar to chess than it is to Baseball or Basketball. That's real.

Isaiah Rider, Keon Clark, and Josh Howard among countless others are both shocked and disgusted with your criteria!

TheBigLeBronski
07-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Im glad to see the Cavs still value Delonte as a legitimate starting SG. I wish this article was writen by anyone else other then chris brousard though. Likeable fellow, but I trust his sources about as much as I trust Stephen A. and Ed Werder.
Although I do think LeBron is staying, I highly doubt Broussard has anymore inside knowledge of it then I do.

Page 2 of this thread. Some reporters make things up until they get caught. Thats why ESPN never renewed Stephen A. Because they caught him too many times.

Adminīs Grandma
07-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Cmon, Tiger Woods is an athlete. Not all golfers are, but Tiger is supreme one in those circuits and it shows.

KIisKing
07-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Now I'm pissed off. LeBron is seriously a jerk. To come out and flat out deny the fact that he said that is so immature. I understand he wants leverage and I understand he wants to win, but can't he see that Danny Ferry, Dan Gilbert, the city, and the fans do everything in their power to worship the ground he walks on? The most exciting news we've heard in God knows how long, he denies?

This city deserves this. We've gone through 40+ years of losing. We've had seasons where we've been the worst team in the league, we've had seasons where we've been the best but come up short, we've had some of the greatest players to ever play and they end up leaving. We've been the face of failure for over 40 years. Then we finally get a break. We got arguably the best player in any sport since MJ, and instead of being able to enjoy it, we have to listen to the national media talk about how is going to leave in 2010.

We finally get one piece of news that makes us happy, and LeBron shoots it down. This is why I hate LeBron. I love what he does on the court and at times, I love what he does off the court. But his ego is disgusting and the whole 2010 thing is starting to piss me off. You can say "just ignore it and enjoy him now." It's hard to enjoy it though, when you can't go through a freaking Shaq press conference without a 2010 question. Idk about you guys but I'm getting really fvcking sick of this shit. All I want is LeBron to just help out this city and probably FO by signing an extension. I'm seriously fed up with it.

Read this it might help you feel better. O and Lebron didnt say it personally a source close to him said it.

had a long talk with w/g today. he actually has had the chance to talk to quite a few people today and get caught up on things. i told him about what's been in the news today regarding lebron opening up about his plans to remain in cleveland.

he says that he's pretty much spelled the facts regarding this out to you guys in the past. that he knows that he's staying here, as does chris bosh and joe johnson. and that he's had the opportunity to talk over the long range plans so that between lebron, our front office, and other top prospective free agents, they know that we have all our ducks in a row waiting for the right moment.

i would anticipate that any key signing we look to make this offsesaon, that he would offer up the fact that he's plannng on staying here longterm.
w/g did say that lebron would likely be very upset if ariza did offer that confodential information to the public. he never should have done so, and lebron wants it to stay close to the hip until HE decides it's time to reveal his intentions..

one other thing he told me is that we now think a very strong possiblity exists that john kuester will be leaving us for detroit.

this would lead to a restructuring of our staff.

that means that we could possibly look at options outside the organization, but, we may very welll promote from within as well.

he'll be involved in those discussions if kuester does indeed become the next head coach of the pistons.

he said that nothing has happened yet in this free agency period that has disapointed us, or changed our plan of attack. he said more than anything. they have been pleasantly surprised by the state of affairs as they stand now in respect to achieving our goals this summer.

he said things will really heat up for us in the coming two/three days as we'll lock in on targets and now finally go after what we feel are our top targets.

he's told mev to let you guys know he'll be back online this weekend when he gets back to the states.

i've gotta run now, have an appt. , but he had some more info that i'll pass alomg later tonight. he said he mioght be calling back as well.

demondeacs13
07-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Ariza is a piece of shit for coming out and saying that...I'm actually pretty sure that LeBron did say that to him. He just doesn't want to be compromised. Do you blame him? Honestly?

camakazee
07-07-2009, 01:48 PM
That's what I was thinking. Tiger has to be extremely close by now.

Very very close... Here's a look from Golf Digest,

http://www.golfdigest.com/images/magazine/2008/02/maar02_gd50.jpg

Edit: Just to add to that...

2008: $127,902,706 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/specials/fortunate50/2008/index.html) ($22m salary, $105m endorsements).

2009: $99, 737,626 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/specials/fortunate50/2009/) ($7m salary, $92m endorsements).

So when you add those numbers to the number at the bottom of the graphic that stopped at 2007, you get $997,081,041 :eek: Granted, this doesn't include money tied up in houses or whatever else he bought and I'm not so sure it includes taxes and what not. Either way, that's a shit-ton of money.

Three6Pavia
07-07-2009, 01:51 PM

Shoot, LeBron can't be more than a couple hundred million behind him. :king:

demondeacs13
07-07-2009, 01:53 PM
$700 million in endorsements? That's disgusting. Wow.

Lee
07-07-2009, 01:53 PM

What a rough life he leads. Married to a model, gets to proffesionally play a hobby for a living, has a gorgous house on the coast of cali. Has kids he obviously addores, and he has earned about a billion dollars so far for being really good at that hobby. I really feel sorry for tiger. He just cant seem to catch a break. :chuckles:

btw, he is an athlete, and he has done it with class and dignity and I have alot of respect for him.

TheBigLeBronski
07-07-2009, 01:55 PM
$700 million in endorsements? That's disgusting. Wow.

I been saying it for years, the only way LeBron can get to 1 billion is by teaming up with Nike and selling golf clubs.

OnTheReg
07-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Isaiah Rider, Keon Clark, and Josh Howard among countless others are both shocked and disgusted with your criteria!

I said DURING WHICH you could drink, smoke or do drugs. You can't drink, smoke or do drugs during a basketball game, but you for damn sure can do all three while playing golf!

FuneralOfHearts
07-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Ariza is a piece of shit for coming out and saying that...I'm actually pretty sure that LeBron did say that to him. He just doesn't want to be compromised. Do you blame him? Honestly?

Lqtm LeBron=Secret Agent?

demondeacs13
07-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I said DURING WHICH you could drink, smoke or do drugs. You can't drink, smoke or do drugs during a basketball game, but you for damn sure can do all three while playing golf!

On a semi-related note, I was at the Hooters in Winston-Salem exactly where and when John Daly was arrested for public intoxication. What a fun guy. Seriously.

http://www.nndb.com/people/577/000026499/john-daly-golfer.jpg

cav jvl
07-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Screw Ariza!! He does not care about winning. He has a great opportunity to win another championship and he would rather lose in Houston. It is better that he not come here, he cannot be trusted and lets things get out to the media that he should keep to himself. We are seeing why the Lakers are letting him go.

Luffy
07-07-2009, 02:09 PM

I completely agree. Can't believe he denied it... Come on LeBron... just shut up and sign the extension already. You're hurting our free agent recruiting.

camakazee
07-07-2009, 02:10 PM

Didn't stop quite a few past ballers from doing it at halftime, during games. Shit, Keon Clark used to water bottle it like a college student. Villanueva thought he was being edgy, but marijuana and alcohol was the twitter of the nineties--a few players did it at halftime :chuckles:

On a more serious note, I think you're confusing the recreational hobby with the actual sport. I'm sure you've seen plenty of guys drink and smoke (do drugs, though?) while they hack the ball around at the local shit course, but when have you ever seen Tiger Woods drink or smoke during a round? Hell, I have friends who smoke weed while they play pick up, literally while they play. Does that mean basketball isn't a real sport? Please realize that none of that goes down in PGA matches when players are competing.

Somewhat stupid argument, nonetheless, since you could say something along the lines of "Baseball isn't a sport like basketball! You can use tobacco while you play in baseball! Can't do that in basketball."

demondeacs13
07-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Screw Ariza!! He does not care about winning. He has a great opportunity to win another championship and he would rather lose in Houston. It is better that he not come here, he cannot be trusted and lets things get out to the media that he should keep to himself. We are seeing why the Lakers are letting him go.

He has a ring at the age of 24. How many players go through their entire careers without getting one? Most of them.

I wanted him to come here, but I can certainly see why he wouldn't. He instantly became Houston's best active player. He can go to the Rockets and easily double his career scoring average. Stats translate into money, and if he can inflate his stats by being the feature guy on a shitty team, rather than a role player on a championship team, then he will get paid.

He's just looking out for himself, which I can't blame him for, especially since he's only 24. Let him get set for life and then worry about rings.

Frank Stallone
07-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Ariza wasnt going to get serious about the Cavs for a few reasons:

1. His family and son live in L.A, Ariza coming to Cleveland would make him be away from his family for a long time.

2. Hes lived in L.A for all his life, Cleveland would be the North Pole to him.

3. Hes young and wants to start building his career long term. Ok so to build his career he would need defiant minutes and a lot of touches. He would have to share touches with Lebron, Mo, and Shaq. He would also be sharing his minutes with Delonte. Not exactly how you build your career.

4. Houston will be building there offense and future around him and Brooks now.

I think Houston is going to open up Ariza's career and I think thats why he choose them. He wasnt concerned about winning again he was concerned about his future. We cant do anything about that.

I think we fail to remember he spent 2 years in NYC and 3-4 in Orlando...but again, it is his decision and I hope he gets what he wants, because it is somewhat clear he is not looking to win a title again for a while.

cav jvl
07-07-2009, 02:15 PM
He has a ring at the age of 24. How many players go through their entire careers without getting one? Most of them.

I wanted him to come here, but I can certainly see why he wouldn't. He instantly became Houston's best active player. He can go to the Rockets and easily double his career scoring average. Stats translate into money, and if he can inflate his stats by being the feature guy on a shitty team, rather than a role player on a championship team, then he will get paid.

He's just looking out for himself, which I can't blame him for, especially since he's only 24. Let him get set for life and then worry about rings.

OK, sorry for being mean to Trevor.

Frank Stallone
07-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I completely agree. Can't believe he denied it... Come on LeBron... just shut up and sign the extension already. You're hurting our free agent recruiting.

He would be a dumbass to sign the extension right now. Plain and simple. He would make more money no matter who he signs with next year. I can't ever be mad at this guy, he has given us hope...

demondeacs13
07-07-2009, 02:16 PM
OK, sorry for being mean to Trevor.

I'm not knockin you for being mean. I think he's an asshole, to be honest. I can just understand why he chose to go to Houston.

Frank Stallone
07-07-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm not knockin you for being mean. I think he's an asshole, to be honest. I can just understand why he chose to go to Houston.

See I can agree I guess why he is going to Houston. He wants to be "the guy", all power to him. But regardless who let the news about LeBron staying out, Ariza must of told SOMEONE if it wasn't him directly who let the world know of what LeBron said. This makes Ariza a total ass in my eyes, your supposed to respect people you play with and what they say.

TheBigLeBronski
07-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Broussard is backpeddling. He says a source close to Ariza told him that Lebron told Ariza he was saying. And now a source close to Lebron is saying that Lebron never said that to him.
Sounds like a Stephen A. all over again. Basically if a reporter cannot name the source, it is nothing more then speculation and rumors.
I do like Broussard as a person, much more so then i detested Stephen A. as a person, but its the same ol shit. If you cant name the source, dont report the story. Just call it a rumor.

cav jvl
07-07-2009, 02:22 PM

I think it bothers me more that he and/or his people are letting out Lebron's personal assurance that he will stay......putting Lebron in an awkward situation now. Not cool at all.

KIisKing
07-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I think we fail to remember he spent 2 years in NYC and 3-4 in Orlando...but again, it is his decision and I hope he gets what he wants, because it is somewhat clear he is not looking to win a title again for a while.

To me its different though now because he has a little kid. Thats my take.

Kongo Time
07-07-2009, 02:32 PM
I dont want to LeBron to sign an extension yeah i said it and here is the reason why.

Say in 2010 LeBron dosnt resign right away then his contracts not taking up what 15 million or whatever it will be and we could use that money to sign Bosh. After Bosh signs with us we can resign LeBron using bird rights and it wont matter how much cap room we have because we will be using birdrights. That is why i think LeBron dosnt wanna say he will resign because then it turns into why hasnt he signed an extention.

Trill Cosby
07-07-2009, 02:34 PM

Ahh so you were right Trill, not that bad news like this should be celebrated but in your case I have to admit that common sense prevailed here.

Now on to the real question, will RCF rookie DougHeil even re-enter this thread now? And if the lad does, what kind of spin will he try to put on his earlier comments where he was positive this tomfoolery was actually true?

Notorious
07-07-2009, 02:36 PM
I dont want to LeBron to sign an extension yeah i said it and here is the reason why.

Say in 2010 LeBron dosnt resign right away then his contracts not taking up what 15 million or whatever it will be and we could use that money to sign Bosh. After Bosh signs with us we can resign LeBron using bird rights and it wont matter how much cap room we have because we will be using birdrights. That is why i think LeBron dosnt wanna say he will resign because then it turns into why hasnt he signed an extention.

Caphold.

chrisrich91
07-07-2009, 02:36 PM

Cap hold.

Kongo Time
07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Cap hold.

Guess there was something i did not know what is cap hold (sorry new to the game).

Prime 1978
07-07-2009, 02:43 PM
He would be a dumbass to sign the extension right now. Plain and simple. He would make more money no matter who he signs with next year. I can't ever be mad at this guy, he has given us hope...

That's not true with rumors ciculating about the salary cap going down. Max contracts are based off of a percentage of salary cap figure.

I'm not Douglar or Joel but I'm sure that I'm right here...

Notorious
07-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Guess there was something i did not know what is cap hold (sorry new to the game).

His salary is on our cap even when he is a free agent unless we renounce his rights. Renouncing his rights I believe will make it so we can't offer him the hometown max deal.

Notorious
07-07-2009, 02:45 PM
That's not true with rumors ciculating about the salary cap going down. Max contracts are based off of a percentage of salary cap figure.

Yes the NBA put out a memo in February the cap will be moving down the next 2 years so you are correct.

So it comes down to Lebron's advisers and if the believe the economy will keep moving down or if a rebound is in sight. If they believe what the NBA is saying he's best to sign an extension.

Grayson
07-07-2009, 02:46 PM

He would actually be a dumbass to not sign an extension this year. If the salary cap stays the same or goes down this year, then he'll get less money signing a max contract next year.

If he signs an extension this year, with raises, he stands to gain about 5-7 million on the first two years of the extension.

It might not all be about the money, but once you start giving away 5-7 million dollars, that's just bad business.

Correct, if the cap goes down as expected, then LeBron/Wade/Bosh stand to lose money by waiting to sign a max contract next year.

My brain hurts too much to do the exact numbers, but it's basically giving away money.

BigErieCavsFan
07-07-2009, 02:53 PM
He would actually be a dumbass to not sign an extension this year. If the salary cap stays the same or goes down this year, then he'll get less money signing a max contract next year.

If he signs an extension this year, with raises, he stands to gain about 5-7 million on the first two years of the extension.

It might not all be about the money, but once you start giving away 5-7 million dollars, that's just bad business.

Correct, if the cap goes down as expected, then LeBron/Wade/Bosh stand to lose money by waiting to sign a max contract next year.

My brain hurts too much to do the exact numbers, but it's basically giving away money.

Isn't the max also based on the number of years they have been in the league? Is next year a year that the max can go higher for LeBron?

col63onel
07-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Isn't the max also based on the number of years they have been in the league? Is next year a year that the max can go higher for LeBron?

Yes. It's 25% up until you have 7 yrs experience, 30% up until 10 years, then 35% from there on out.

Grayson

Yes, next year is the year that the max can go higher for LeBron but:

If he was just getting his first max contract next season 09/10, it would be $16,509,600.
LeBron's current 09/10 salary is $17,149,243
The difference is $639,643, not that much, but it gets worse.

But if the cap stays the same, and he signs a max contract, then he only gets 30% of the cap, or $16,509,600. So that means that he'll actaully get less for 11/12 than he got in 09/10.
If he signs an extension, then he can get the 8% raise, which means that his 11/12 salary would be $18,521,182.

The differnce in that is $2,011,582. That's how much money he'd lose in just 11/12 if he waited to sign a max contract as opposed to signing the extension now.

Sorry about the math, had to be done. I think it's all correct though.

bigtyme
Wow, that's a bombshell.

Now I don't want to hear any more "this is LeBron's fault for not committing" talk. Granted, signing an extension right now would make a bigger splash, but if he's giving this verbal pitch to serious targets, then you can't fault him for the reason they're not coming here.

I flatly disagree. The very same article stated that both Ariza and Artest took James overtures as sales spin.

Until Lebron is locked in, FA's are looking at the possibility of playing multiple years in Cle with no BronBron.

Its a deal breaker.

col63onel
07-07-2009, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=Grayson;567090]He would actually be a dumbass to not sign an extension this year. If the salary cap stays the same or goes down this year, then he'll get less money signing a max contract next year.

There is a rule that a max salary also has to be at least 105% of his previous salary. If the salary cap fell under 57 mil for 2010, he'd very likely make more money picking up his option year at 17.1, and then taking the 5% to 18 mil in 2011.

TheBigLeBronski
07-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Yes, next year is the year that the max can go higher for LeBron but:

If he was just getting his first max contract next season 09/10, it would be $16,509,600.
LeBron's current 09/10 salary is $17,149,243
The difference is $639,643, not that much, but it gets worse.

But if the cap stays the same, and he signs a max contract, then he only gets 30% of the cap, or $16,509,600. So that means that he'll actaully get less for 11/12 than he got in 09/10.
If he signs an extension, then he can get the 8% raise, which means that his 11/12 salary would be $18,521,182.

The differnce in that is $2,011,582. That's how much money he'd lose in just 11/12 if he waited to sign a max contract as opposed to signing the extension now.

Sorry about the math, had to be done. I think it's all correct though.

I thought he gets 10.5% raise because of some rule about being with the team that drafted you.

Grayson
07-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I thought he gets 10.5% raise because of some rule about being with the team that drafted you.

You're right, my math is off.

I used bad data 8% instead of 10.5%. SO basically that means there's more money to be made in an extension as opposed to a new max contract. Numbers come later.

BigErieCavsFan
07-07-2009, 03:26 PM

There is a rule that a max salary also has to be at least 105% of his previous salary. If the salary cap fell under 57 mil for 2010, he'd very likely make more money picking up his option year at 17.1, and then taking the 5% to 18 mil in 2011.

Nice numbers, I guess the 5% diff for 7 yrs, is over ridden by the 8-10% raise he would get by signing now. But if Grayson is correct about 105% thing, it's almost a wash depending on what the cap goes to. I would bet which ever way LeBron determines makes him the most money, will be the way he goes. But, he really can't be sure due to not truly knowing what next years cap will be...

TheBigLeBronski
07-07-2009, 03:27 PM
I think that 10.5% is going to be the kicker next season. Because the top 4 names are all with thier original teams. They are all going to want a sign and trade. And sorry Knicks, no one is going to want Danillo Gallinari in a trade. Thats why i think the Cavs would be smartest to abbandon any plans for cap space, and add as many cheap young assets as possible. The main reason why I am supporting players like Frye, Kleiza, Bass, etc., because if you add guys like that to a trade, it makes the deal better. If you add overpayed old guys, Mairon, Parker, McDyess, It makes a trade less attractive.

NarlCavs
07-07-2009, 04:19 PM
We're all going to have to get used to the LeBron stories and rumors for the next year. It's going to be as annoying as hell and will only get worse. The worst part is that it does nothing to help the Cavs next season and hopefully won't be a distraction.

It has gotten to the point where LeBron has to accept responsibility for a lot of this and be held accountable for it. All the reasons and possibilities have already been discussed in this thread.

One thing I haven't noticed is questions raised about the Cavs recruiting of Ariza after he already agreed with Houston. I can't imagine all the outrage if another team went after a player who the Cavs had already came to a verbal agreement with. I do realize nothing is final until there's a signature but it surprised me a little that this Cavs organization would do this.

I would have liked to have seen Ariza signed. I see him as a player on the rise and someone along the lines of a Shane Battier type player whose numbers may not always look huge but who does the little things that help your team win. He's still capable of more and becoming someone who can put up solid production.
Young players like Ariza or Villanueva will almost always go where either the money is or where the minutes or shot attempts are. It's not until players get older and are closer to the end of their careers are they willing to sacrifice more to go to a team that's more of a contender.

Prime 1978
07-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Wow, that's a bombshell.

I disagree, with you here and all of the people who thanked you. In the article it quotes Ariza as saying he feels it was a sale's pitch. And that he'd believe it once the deal was signed.

Ariza

SoundBreaker
07-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I take it that his denial has already been discussed.

LeBron is in no way helping the Cavaliers.

Outside of playing with LeBron for a chance at a title, WHO THE HECK WOULD WANT TO COME TO CLEVELAND?

DWayne Wade even took stabs at the city on Cowherd's show today...

:thumbdown

MDLT
07-07-2009, 04:58 PM

What did he say?

Prime 1978
07-07-2009, 04:59 PM
I take it that his denial has already been discussed.

LeBron is in no way helping the Cavaliers.

Outside of playing with LeBron for a chance at a title, WHO THE HECK WOULD WANT TO COME TO CLEVELAND?

What did he say?

SoundBreaker
07-07-2009, 05:04 PM
http://search.espn.go.com/colin-cowherd/nba/dwyane-wade/last-30-days/46-4294865968-20

He addresses the LeBron/Cleveland/Free Agent situation at about the 4:30 mark

"Besides LeBron being in Cleveland, they've never been a sexy town/attraction anyway for free agents to ever go."

OnTheReg
07-07-2009, 05:07 PM
http://search.espn.go.com/colin-cowherd/nba/dwyane-wade/last-30-days/46-4294865968-20

He addresses the LeBron/Cleveland/Free Agent situation at about the 4:30 mark

"Besides LeBron being in Cleveland, they've never been a sexy town/attraction anyway for free agents to ever go."

Nothing incorrect or offensive about that statement. If you want to play for a good team, you come to Cleveland, if you want to play in a good city, you go to Miami. I'll take the good team, thanks.

ZissisKilla
07-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Woody Paige just made a good point.

LeBron never did the whole "college recruiting" thing and the 2010 scenario might just be his way of having fun with everyone before he stays with Cleveland.

mult336
07-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Lebron really cannot sign his contract now if wants another max player..... If lebron were to sign today there would no room for another max/or near max contract in '10. I know everyone has said that we dont have the money for it but with the way things our falling now, we might resign a cheap PG and a back up pf along with andy this year..add in shaqs + z expirings and even lebrons.. We have technically have 46m coming of the cap next year.... The simple key is that our target signs first, then our own players. So even for the cavs it would be unwise to sign LBJ right now, even though theyd love to lock him up. So for those who say sign the contract now its not the easiest decision either way.. Even if lebron wants to stay here, if he wants a wade, bosh, etc typle player... HE CANT SIGN NOW.

InBoobieWeTrust
07-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Lebron really cannot sign his contract now if wants another max player..... If lebron were to sign today there would no room for another max/or near max contract in '10. I know everyone has said that we dont have the money for it but with the way things our falling now, we might resign a cheap PG and a back up pf along with andy this year..add in shaqs + z expirings and even lebrons.. We have technically have 46m coming of the cap next year.... The simple key is that our target signs first, then our own players. So even for the cavs it would be unwise to sign LBJ right now, even though theyd love to lock him up. So for those who say sign the contract now its not the easiest decision either way.. Even if lebron wants to stay here, if he wants a wade, bosh, etc typle player... HE CANT SIGN NOW.

Your plan is thwarted by cap holds.

Regardless of when LeBron signs or doesn't, he still counts against the cap, as do Z, Shaq, and everyone of our free agents expiring that year, unless we renounce their rights.

Chris
07-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Come on, we all knew a day later sources and LeBron would "back off" this supposed commitment.