PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Incompetence

cdt
07-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Showed Shaq's twitter where he asked the Big Witness or the Big Shaqalier...

Except ESPN pronounced it "Sha keel ier" I honestly don't understand how some of these people get on TV. It's unreal...it rhymes with Cavalier, he's a Cavalier..I don't see the difficulty.

gosk
07-09-2009, 01:00 PM
why don't you make a thread about it

Goggles11
07-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Hey, reading stuff off of a teleprompter is hard. You can even ask Ron Burgundy.

LyXo
07-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Apparently this means that Shaq is bigger than Cleveland, bigger than the team.

Conclusion: Shaq will chase LeBron out with his ego.

Damn the extra syllable!

Typhoon
07-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I just saw this, she sounded like she needed reading comprehension class. I did like how that one guy at the end was like "this might be one of the worse pieces we've ever done".

Three6Pavia
07-09-2009, 01:03 PM
My favorite thread topic . :D

Frank Stallone
07-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Hey, reading stuff off of a teleprompter is hard. You can even ask Ron Burgundy.

Not hard after you do it 1,000 times, especially something as easy as Shaqalier, it just takes common sense! Ha ha, ESPN I am sure did it on purpose because they've been riding the "f**k the Cavs" train since they lost game 3 of the ECF.

Seize
07-09-2009, 01:05 PM
ESPN is becoming MTV <.< But dare I say even more annoying? Dun dun dun...

chiefwahoo
07-09-2009, 01:06 PM

"And I'm Ron Burgundy. Go fuck yourself, San Diego."

ESPN is becoming MTV <.< But dare I say even more annoying? Dun dun dun...

Becoming? It's been there for a while now...

Maximus
07-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Ummm...cdt, really?

chiefwahoo
07-09-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm nominating this for TOTY if the Glennies ever do materialize...

Seize
07-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Becoming? It's been there for a while now...

Touche.

Sir Charles Barkley
07-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Well sometimes you just have to look yourself in the mirror and say, when in rome.

jgood419
07-09-2009, 03:09 PM
who makes fun of somebody pronouncing a dumb made up word the wrong way? haha

tedginnjr
07-09-2009, 03:15 PM
"And I'm Ron Burgundy. Go fuck yourself, San Diego."

We can say fuck now?

Maximus
07-09-2009, 03:20 PM
We can say fuck now?

Only in this epic thread...

chiefwahoo
07-09-2009, 03:20 PM
We can say fuck now?

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/fuck%20yeah.gif

aaronbev79
07-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Fuck!

Just thought I'd throw one out there while it's unedited. Mmmmm...it's one of my favorite words.

Backstage
07-09-2009, 03:36 PM
The title of this thread is the most honest fucking thing since "Interesting Tweet from Delonte: I'm hilarious."

BooyaCS
07-09-2009, 03:53 PM
I am waiting for Skip Dicklesss (if Shaq struggles at some point) to call Shaq the princess to Lebron's Prince. That would be comical to see what Shaq would do.

Also when can EPSN get back to sports and lose the talking heads? They got rid of one hack in Screaming Stephanie Ass Smith now they have several others. Oh well so much for Unbiased sports news coverage.

fababecc
07-09-2009, 03:54 PM
I am taking this chance to say this word here. As much as I wanna say this word more often, I might get banned the next time. So here it is ...... FUCK

Little Seizer
07-09-2009, 04:47 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/fuck%20yeah.gif

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hQp5l4-sfFA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hQp5l4-sfFA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Break it down bitch/Lemme see you back it up/Drop that ass down low then pick that motherfucker up.

Ignatius
07-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Hey don't hate on the guy bringing us the news....if you don't like it, don't read it. Otherwise, I would have never found out about this, and since it has to do with the Crabaleerz, I care.

DC
07-09-2009, 05:07 PM
On Around The Horn they're asking if the Cavs are 'spending too much?'

Ummm... WTF?

Doctor K
07-09-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm the blue one.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w14/HyperManyac18/lol-red-ranger.gif

OnTheReg
07-09-2009, 05:15 PM

Or President Obama. He can't function without his best friend, affectionately named TOTUS; Teleprompter of the United States

cdt
07-09-2009, 06:15 PM
This thread was totally fucking necessary. It's better than "Said NBA Player/GM/Coach/Analyst/Beatwriters twitter says..." or Big Baby?/Matt Barnes?/Shawn Marion?/Anthony Parker? ..or name Shaq's turd post Whopper Value Meal..

Nicky
07-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Is it so shocking that a Mod went off on a tare?:chuckles: Oh CDT!

ACDC_Rocks024
07-09-2009, 07:08 PM
You didn't realize they can't pronounce by now? If The Big Shaqalier wins, he'll say it, and then from there "Monkey see monkey do..."

SanduskyCav
07-09-2009, 07:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqtgfjkB6Pg

TheBigLeBronski
07-09-2009, 07:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqtgfjkB6Pg

:thumbup:

UVMCavsFan
07-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Please, give me Kenny Mayne, Scott Van Pelt and Steve Levy. Robert Flores and Hannah Storm can't read. It's terrible.

TheBigLeBronski
07-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Please, give me Kenny Mayne, Scott Van Pelt and Steve Levy. Robert Flores and Hannah Storm can't read. It's terrible.

Exactly. I have no clue why they sent Kenny Mayne to the D-League.

col63onel
07-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I don't know that incompetent is the right word. More like naive.

At one point, ESPN was awesome, they either showed games or highlights. The way they showed highlights was innovative. You got to see highlights of just about every team in every sport. You got to see shows specialized to each sport (NFL Primetime, Baseball Tonight, etc.). And the anchors were funny.

If you want an analogy of what went wrong at ESPN, look up every big company that started out as a few kids starting their own business out of their basement. Their product/service was so unique and well done, that they got WAY too big too fast, and tried running their new big business the same way they ran their start up business out of their basement, and all hell broke loose.

At some point, ESPN became the biggest influence on US sports. But they didn't realize it, or didn't take it seriously. The don't understand that people in Ohio see sports WAY differently than people in California, or Texas or Washington. They take whatever seems to most convenient, sexy explanation for something, and pass that off as "what is going on". Who cares if it's only the way East Coast people see it. It sells.

What worse, most of the "personalities" who work there try and exploit this. They either are shock journalists/Jim Rome wannabees who fling shit to wall and hope something sticks to wall (think Skip Bayless or Colin Cowherd or SAS), or they are retired players who say the bare minimum, but have cushy jobs, because they are at ESPN (Jalen Rose, Shaun King, John Kruk...hell, just about every athlete to work there since Harold Reynold left).

The problem is, no one challenges them. SI has done very little in the way of TV. FSN is more a confederation of local networks. Every other major news organization is bogged down by trivial issues...like covering actual news or the economy or politics or Britney Spears....and devotes little resources to sports.

So basically, ESPN is Darth Vader. Once very good and humble, now twisted and evil. We need Luke to come along and redeem them, so they can be the source of light they used to be.

Kiddo
07-09-2009, 10:55 PM

At one point, ESPN was awesome, they either showed games or highlights. The way they showed highlights was innovative. You got to see highlights of just about every team in every sport. You got to see shows specialized to each sport (NFL Primetime, Baseball Tonight, etc.). And the anchors were funny.

If you want an analogy of what went wrong at ESPN, look up every big company that started out as a few kids starting their own business out of their basement. Their product/service was so unique and well done, that they got WAY too big too fast, and tried running their new big business the same way they ran their start up business out of their basement, and all hell broke loose.

At some point, ESPN became the biggest influence on US sports. But they didn't realize it, or didn't take it seriously. The don't understand that people in Ohio see sports WAY differently than people in California, or Texas or Washington. They take whatever seems to most convenient, sexy explanation for something, and pass that off as "what is going on". Who cares if it's only the way East Coast people see it. It sells.

What worse, most of the "personalities" who work there try and exploit this. They either are shock journalists/Jim Rome wannabees who fling shit to wall and hope something sticks to wall (think Skip Bayless or Colin Cowherd or SAS), or they are retired players who say the bare minimum, but have cushy jobs, because they are at ESPN (Jalen Rose, Shaun King, John Kruk...hell, just about every athlete to work there since Harold Reynold left).

The problem is, no one challenges them. SI has done very little in the way of TV. FSN is more a confederation of local networks. Every other major news organization is bogged down by trivial issues...like covering actual news or the economy or politics or Britney Spears....and devotes little resources to sports.

So basically, ESPN is Darth Vader. Once very good and humble, now twisted and evil. We need Luke to come along and redeem them, so they can be the source of light they used to be.

That is so true. I wish espn had some competition.

Typhoon
07-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Well theres Moohe...o wai--

Deezus
07-10-2009, 12:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rX7-R54-Q8

Chardon
07-10-2009, 12:51 AM
I remember the days of Sports Center when they didnt have the side thing. Good times.

MYoung23
07-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Other companies tried to compete with ESPN but they killed CNNSI and crushed FoxSports into an irrelevant half hour show that nobody watches.

MJA1080
07-10-2009, 01:24 AM
This just in: an announcer on ESPN said that she thinks Lebron will actually stay in Cleveland!! Truth. It was something quick, and i'm sure she got fired for it, but she did. I remember when ESPN played longer highlights too. Not like, lets skip to the 9th inning..

mach10
07-10-2009, 01:31 AM
There are only two people I really like at ESPN (that I can think of right now).

Chris Berman, Hubie Brown.

The rest are annoying, under-informed, fake, and sell outs.

Oh, and David Thorpe on espn.com is worth reading...

blank964
07-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Outside of PTI and Outside the Lines I don't care for a lot of the shows on the Eastern Sports and Propaganda Network. The thing I hate is with baseball coverage is how they never show highlights of my team (the Braves) until an hour into the show or they'll briefly mention it when they win...howeva' if they lose it always seems like it's the first highlight on the show I don't know it just seems like it to me.

It's funny what colonel said because it's true. No matter how much I tell myself I'm not going to watch ESPN the competition isn't adequate enough to make me completely tune ESPN out. It would take decades for someone to topple ESPN.

This year is going to be tough with all of the speculation about Bron leaving we're just going to have thick skin this year. Maybe we should make a sticky specifically about whatever the haters are saying.

WitnessMoBoobie
07-10-2009, 09:46 AM

+1 Very well put. It would be nice if each state or even large city had its own version of some of the shows. PTI and Around the Horn are still pretty good. It is probably to late to change for them, but imagine that.