PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Brian: Brian Windhorst answers your Cleveland Cavaliers questions...

Radar
07-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Hey, Brian: Shaq has a history of intolerance with coaches he doesn't hold in high regard and who don't own rings, like Brian Hill and "Master of Panic" Stan Van Gundy. The two coaches he has deferred to are Phil Jackson and Pat Riley. As such, any concerns about Shaq's ability to follow Mike Brown's lead? This is something I think bears watching. -- Jeff Kasler, Columbus

Hey, Jeff: Actually, Shaq had no problem ripping Jackson or Riley when he felt like it either. It is true, Shaq can be loudly temperamental when he's not happy, usually because of his place in the offense. It is going to be a major challenge for Brown to manage him, along with LeBron and the rest of the team. But Shaq is also in what could be a one-year shot and he's never been in this position before. They say leopards don't change their spots but we'll have to see, especially since Brown doesn't have the same personality as Riley and Jackson.

Hey, Brian: In 2006-07 and '07-08, Anthony Parker shot 48 percent from the field and 44 percent from the 3-point line. Last year it was 43 and 39 percent, respectively. Isn't this a red flag for a wingman entering his mid-30s? I think the Cavs should be careful about committing long term cap dollars to such a player. -- Jim Petrarca, Miami

Hey, Jim: This is a fair point. Last season, Parker's numbers tailed off when he was pushed to play lots of point guard over the last six weeks. The Raptors had a lot of turmoil, with a coaching change and major midseason trade that brought in Shawn Marion. That affect Parker to a certain extent. But yes, he's 34 and the stats are somewhat troubling but the Cavs gave him a short-term and reasonable contract.

Hey, Brian: What is the maximum dollar amount that Wally Szczerbiak could be re-signed and traded for? What do you think the Cavs will actually do with him? Is there any interest around the league for his services? -- Doug Orosco, Richfield

Hey, Doug: In theory, Wally could be signed up to the maximum contract because the Cavs have his full Bird rights. However, let me take this chance to bring some reality to all the crazy Wally sign-and-trade scenarios that have been pouring in. In a sign-and-trade, the first year of the contract must be fully guaranteed. The Cavs have talked with Wally and he's had some interest from Europe, but is currently waiting to see how the market plays out.

Hey, Brian: I was wondering what is the Hawks' status with Marvin Williams? There is a valuable soon-to-be star who no one has talked about. -- Derek, Brecksville

Hey, Derek: Williams is in extension talks with the Hawks and appears to be on track to getting a deal done. He will probably sign there long term or at the very least come back and play on a one-year qualifying offer.

Hey, Brian: With all the talk about the uncertainty of LeBron being in Cleveland past 2010 hampering free agents, could a player sign a 5-year deal with a clause to terminate should LeBron leave? -- Dan Wise, Minneapolis

Hey, Dan: No, the quickest a player with a five-year deal can get out under the current rules would be after three seasons.

Hey, Brian: Concerning the salary cap in 2010, am I wrong or don't the Cavs have a significant advantage with LeBron and Shaq already on their roster? My calculations show that the Cavs will have about $33 million in contract obligations. Couldn't they sign a big-time free agent first, then go over the cap to keep LeBron and Shaq? Whereas the Knicks would not have such an option. -- Brad Hocker, Gailon

Hey, Brad: Your first mistake was to do logical calculations with the salary cap. In short, no. When a player becomes a free agent, the team has what is called a "cap hold" put on its payroll that takes the place of the actual salary until the player is signed or "renounced." So the Cavs actually will not have any real cap space next summer until they sign or renounce LeBron, Shaq and/or Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

Hey, Brian: I like the strategy of drafting high potential players who will develop overseas. Do you know whatever happened to Ejike Ugboaja or Sasha Kaun? Are they developing or are they wasted draft picks? -- Bret McCallum, Columbus

Hey, Bret: Kaun played last season for CSKA Moscow, getting some play in the main Euroleague games, but spending most of his time in the lower-level Russian league games. They finished runner-up in the Euroleague. He has two years left on his contract and is developing nicely. As for Ugboaja, well, that is a long story. He has bounced around since the Cavs drafted him in 2006 and last year actually played in the Iranian Pro League. You won't see him around anytime soon. As for the player the Cavs drafted in the second round this year, Slovenian Emir Preldzic, the 6-9 guard plays for a team in Istanbul and also has two years left on his contract.

SOURCE (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/07/hey_brian_brian_windhorst_answ_23.html)

-I doubt this happens,but I really hope shaq dont turn this season into a mess

-I think people shouldnt worry about parker...He is a talented and consistent player throughout his whole career...Once again,good signing

-All marvins talks should end now

-I wander if we will be seeing kaun a cavs jersey next season,whether he is on the court or on the bench

mach10
07-19-2009, 02:15 AM
I'm very confused.

The "Hey, Brian" and "Hey Whoever" were in bold face the first four times, and then normal face the remaining ten times.

Getting past the fourth paragraph seems like something I can do given the proper encouragement/instructions.

Any suggestions are very welcomed.

Also, the first four paragraphs were pretty good. Thanks!

Radar
07-19-2009, 04:17 AM
I'm very confused.

The "Hey, Brian" and "Hey Whoever" were in bold face the first four times, and then normal face the remaining ten times.

Getting past the fourth paragraph seems like something I can do given the proper encouragement/instructions.

Any suggestions are very welcomed.

Also, the first four paragraphs were pretty good. Thanks!

Wait im :confused:...Are you asking me why i bolded the first 4 names?? If so,i did it b/c they're were the most interesting questions IMO

jim jim
07-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Wow, couldn't anyone think of a good question. Like how short is Mike Browns rope going to be this year?

SanduskyCav
07-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Wow, couldn't anyone think of a good question. Like how short is Mike Browns rope going to be this year?

^ That's not a good question..Plus, everyone already knows the answer to that.

The Shoulder
07-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Wasn't the greatest "Hey Brian" this week

mach10
07-19-2009, 10:43 AM

For some reason I don't feel like you're going to get an accurate answer on a Mike Brown question like that from Brian Windhorst. You'll get what Windhorst would personally like to see happen.

Still a good question.

I still think MB is here for the year, barring an extremely poor start (not going to happen with these players). Switching coaches after a certain point is too much change too late. And the main reason I think he's here all year is because all the elite coaches are working right now, with the exception of Pat Riley. But he kind of squashed the idea of coming to Cleveland himself, and is happy being in Miami with Wade and the Heat.

Get used to the idea of Mike Brown being with the Cavs the entire season, imo.

Little Seizer
07-19-2009, 11:05 AM
I think Mike Brown's leash is as short as LeBron keeps it.

ChicagoCavFan
07-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey, Brian: Concerning the salary cap in 2010, am I wrong or don't the Cavs have a significant advantage with LeBron and Shaq already on their roster? My calculations show that the Cavs will have about $33 million in contract obligations. Couldn't they sign a big-time free agent first, then go over the cap to keep LeBron and Shaq? Whereas the Knicks would not have such an option. -- Brad Hocker, Gailon

Hey, Brad: Your first mistake was to do logical calculations with the salary cap.

LMAO. :chuckles:

As for the player the Cavs drafted in the second round this year, Slovenian Emir Preldzic, the 6-9 guard plays for a team in Istanbul and also has two years left on his contract.

:eek: I didn't realize he was a guard. What kind of league is there that a guard is 6 feet, 9 inches tall? Their center is a giraffe.

Cavatt
07-19-2009, 11:45 AM
LMAO. :chuckles:

:eek: I didn't realize he was a guard. What kind of league is there that a guard is 6 feet, 9 inches tall? Their center is a giraffe.

He is a point forward, but even more than Lebron. They say he is a poor man's Hedo.

ChicagoCavFan
07-19-2009, 11:47 AM
It was more of the shock of seeing the Guard attached to a guy that is 6'9". Heck, Z was a guard back in his Lithuanian days. He would break ankles.