PDA

View Full Version : Shaq to test skills in other sports

-KingofKings23-
07-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Maybe Shaquille O'Neal's new nickname should be the Big Experimenter.

In a new ABC reality television series that begins filming this week, Shaq will take on other top athletes in their own sports.

"Shaq Vs.," which is set to premiere Aug. 18 at 9 p.m. ET, begins filming Wednesday in Pittsburgh, where Shaq will take on Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in football.

Future episodes of the hour-long show will feature Shaq against Olympic swimming sensation Michael Phelps, boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya, St. Louis Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols, tennis star Serena Williams and beach volleyball Olympians Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh.

Shaq told USA Today that he came up with the idea as a way to train for the NBA season. Shaq figured Americans "would really want to see an athlete play another sport," according to the newspaper. The Cleveland Cavaliers, Shaq's new team, have cleared the 37-year-old O'Neal to take part in the show.

He is scheduled to report for the Cavs' opening of training camp on Sept. 15.

According to USA Today, the episodes will feature preliminary challenges, news conferences, quality time with needy kids and negotiations of a handicap between Shaq and his competitors. Each episode will climax with a main event.

There's no cash prize for the winner. "Bragging rights are always better than any monetary prize," O'Neal told USA Today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4341098

Haha, I think Shaq will get his ass kicked by Phelps in swimming! Thats going to be fun to watch though!

Spectre
07-20-2009, 02:36 PM
There's no cash prize for the winner. "Bragging rights are always better than any monetary prize," O'Neal told USA Today.

Maybe to Shaq, but the day I hear someone turn down the cash on a successful three-way parlay because the bragging rights are enough is the day I go root for the Steelers.

Ignatius
07-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Check out some of the comments left from espn.com regarding the article:

Shaq vs. Brett Favre in a "Whose going to finally wake up and retire?" contest. Maybe Michael Jordan could be the judge.

I like the general idea. However, you should have all of the athletes participate in ALL of the sports. Then, you can tally up a score and see who is the best overall athlete in all sports. That way we can see Pujols trying to throw a football, Roethlisberger in the pool, Phelps shooting a 3-pointer, etc.. etc.. That would be more entertaining to see a myriad of athletes try out their non-specialty sports. With just Shaq, all we are seeing is the big man be completely awkward in whatever he does except basketball.

Shaq vs. Kramnik or Kasparov at a game of chess. Need to warm up those mental skills for the NBA season too.

Why is there no footrace against Bolt??

I wouldnt mind seeing him out on the ice vs Ovechkin...now that would be something to see.

How about Shaq vs a 12-year old in a free throw shooting contest?

What's wrong with him taking part in these competitions? It's a great way to get ready for the basketball season. Athletes all over the world participate in sports other than their own to get into shape during the offseason.

sounds like a way to get injured to me...

Hope he fights an mma guy. He called out Brock Lesnar, lets see him fight that guy. Maybe tie Brocks hands behind his back, that'd be fair.

Shockey86
07-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Is rapping a sport? I'd like to see him trade freestyle verses with Jay-Z and Lil' Wayne.

They can call the show "8 Mile: Shaq Style"

peeps112
07-20-2009, 04:26 PM
some of those comments were hilarious. especially loved the 12 year old kid free throw contest

ACDC_Rocks024
07-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Well, at least it means he's staying shape...

Randolphkeys
07-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Does he need a beer pong partner? I'm ready to take on the champs.

-KingofKings23-
07-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Does he need a beer pong partner? I'm ready to take on the champs.

The champ is here! :thumbup:

BooyaCS
07-20-2009, 04:45 PM
SHAQ vs American Idol to see who can really "sing"

Shaq vs America's Funniest Home Videos (comeon who doesn't want to see Shaq's commentary).

Shaq vs Christiano Ranaldo in Soccer.

Shaq vs Helmuth in No Limit Hold'em (trash talking allowed)

Witz
07-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Sound interesting, foot race with bolt woulda been fun.Hope he stays injury free while doing this.

-KingofKings23-
07-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Sound interesting, foot race with bolt woulda been fun.Hope he stays injury free while doing this.

Yeah we dont want him pulling his hamstring racing against bolt.

WitnessMoBoobie
07-20-2009, 05:31 PM
He is a character that is for sure, but I think it would be more entertaining to see him and another top athlete compete in a sport or game different than what either of them play. Same idea as the second quote in bigmar's post.

Other ideas for episdoes:
Dance off with Lebron
Any sport with a bunch of 10 year olds
A game of scrabble with a pro only he gets unlimited q's

UDcleveland
07-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Well this is interesting, but are these "competitions" going to be staggered in some sort of way?

Otherwise they might as well rename the show "Watch Shaq get his ass kicked in a bunch of different things."

MoFlo
07-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Just saw on WWE Raw (Yes, I still watch wrestling for the entertainment value, so sue me lol) that Shaq is "Celebrity guest host" for next week

:chuckles:

-KingofKings23-
07-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Just saw on WWE Raw (Yes, I still watch wrestling for the entertainment value, so sue me lol) that Shaq is "Celebrity guest host" for next week

:chuckles:

Haha I still wtch it too! I cant wait! I hope Big Show and Shaq meet face to face. Lol

MoFlo
07-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Haha I still wtch it too! I cant wait! I hope Big Show and Shaq meet face to face. Lol

Lol.. they'd almost have to have that happen..

Good deal for both sides... WWE obviously will get a lot of publicity from ESPN, etc.. while it also puts Shaq & the Cavs organization out to an even wider audience (if that's even possible lol)

-KingofKings23-
07-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Lol.. they'd almost have to have that happen..

Good deal for both sides... WWE obviously will get a lot of publicity from ESPN, etc.. while it also puts Shaq & the Cavs organization out to an even wider audience (if that's even possible lol)

Yeah those are my thoughts exactly!

Deadlock
07-21-2009, 07:59 PM
If he goes down from this show I am moving from Cleveland since it is a curse!

VicDiMoneJr
07-21-2009, 11:26 PM
How about a break dancing contest between Shaq and a member of the Extreme Team, seeing who can spin longer on his own head.

Edit: Scream Team....

-KingofKings23-
07-21-2009, 11:34 PM
How about a break dancing contest between Shaq and a member of the Extreme Team, seeing who can spin longer on his own head.

Do you mean the Scream Team?

VicDiMoneJr
07-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Do you mean the Scream Team?

Damn, how could I goof that one up...

-KingofKings23-
07-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Damn, how could I goof that one up...

Just lookin out for ya! It happens to the best! :thumbup:

Maximus
07-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Shaq figured Americans "would really want to see an athlete play another sport," according to the newspaper.

Hmmm....is that what he figured? Well, he'd be wrong. Actually I was kind of hoping he'd bust his ass, get in great shape, be focused on basketball and getting the "ring for the king". This is nothing but a distraction that also creates potential for injury. Cant he do this garbage in a couple years when he retires? This is stupid...

Silky Smooth
07-24-2009, 11:06 PM
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs153.snc1/5691_108752572730_62186012730_2069287_8021664_n.jp g

This is a picture from the show. He posted this on facebook.

ACDC_Rocks024
07-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Why number 8?

CHEECHREBORN
07-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Shaq has been on Twitter trying to get David Prettyboy of the Galaxy to try to score a goal on him :uhh:

sjeppe
07-25-2009, 11:47 AM
number 8 is rothlis isnt it?