PDA

View Full Version : Most Valuable Cavaliers?

LeBeast23
07-29-2009, 10:10 PM
We all know who #1 is but who are the rest from 2-9(this will be our 9 man rotation) that will have the greatest impact on this team next year. My prediction is as follows:

2. Shaq( still commands a double team, great passer out of double teams, inside force, All-star)
3. Mo( all-star, good ball handler, great mid range shooter, great 3pt and free throw shooter)
4. Delonte'(second best penetrator on team, assists, defense, versatile.)
5. Z(solid center off bench)
6. Andy( will have better rebounding numbers, but might get less points playing along Shaq, our best pick and roll defender.)
7. Parker(length and 3pt shooting, mid range shooter.)
8. Moon(length and athleticism)
9. JJ(surprise)

slammer52
07-29-2009, 10:12 PM
I agree with you for the most part. I might switch Andy and Z, and that is coming from a HUGE Z fan. As for #9, I hope it's JJ, but I would probably put Boobie there.

Walter White
07-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Why don't we actually wait until the season starts to find out.

LeBeast23
07-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Why don't we actually wait until the season starts to find out.

It's a prediction to who I believe are going to be the most valuable cavaliers this season.:chuckles:

Kiddo
07-29-2009, 10:22 PM
You could have posted it in the rotation thread. Just saying...

LeBeast23
07-29-2009, 10:24 PM
You could have posted it in the rotation thread. Just saying...

It's not a rotation rather my opinion to who I believe are the cavaliers most valuable players for this up coming season.;) I just put 2-9 because those are the amount of players who will see meaningful min.

Kiddo
07-29-2009, 10:32 PM
It's not a rotation rather my opinion to who I believe are the cavaliers most valuable players for this up coming season.;) I just put 2-9 because those are the amount of players who will see meaningful min.

So boobie will not see meaningful minutes?

LeBeast23
07-29-2009, 10:38 PM
So boobie will not see meaningful minutes?

Not after he gets injured again, I just believe JJ will take his minutes especially if we don't get another Big. BTW JJ's back will have to be healthy for this to happen so if he doesn't heal then Boobie might get some Pt. this is just my opinion

Kiddo
07-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Not after he gets injured again, I just believe JJ will take his minutes especially if we don't get another Big.

Since when is boobie a PF?

-KingofKings23-
07-29-2009, 10:41 PM
W&G had said that we shouldnt be suprised if Boobie has a new season high in 3 point field goals after this season is over so that means he will have to get quite a few meaningful minutes.

LeBeast23
07-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Since when is boobie a PF?

I never said he was just saying JJ will get the minutes boobie would get so that means Delonte' and Mo play more minutes............seriously do you think boobie can play back up point. :eek:

ice cream man
07-29-2009, 10:47 PM
We all know who #1 is but who are the rest from 2-9(this will be our 9 man rotation) that will have the greatest impact on this team next year. My prediction is as follows:

2. Shaq( still commands a double team, great passer out of double teams, inside force, All-star)
3. Mo( all-star, good ball handler, great mid range shooter, great 3pt and free throw shooter)
4. Delonte'(second best penetrator on team, assists, defense, versatile.)
5. Z(solid center off bench)
6. Andy( will have better rebounding numbers, but might get less points playing along Shaq, our best pick and roll defender.)
7. Parker(length and 3pt shooting, mid range shooter.)
8. Moon(length and athleticism)
9. JJ(surprise)

You don't suck because your new, you just suck because you suck...

^
Okay, little harsh, I like to think I'm funny.
But once I saw Andy at #6 I got frustrated.

LeBeast23
07-29-2009, 10:48 PM
W&G had said that we shouldnt be suprised if Boobie has a new season high in 3 point field goals after this season is over so that means he will have to get quite a few meaningful minutes.

That's his opinion but I will believe it when I see it.........I would happily love to be proved wrong.;)

LeBeast23
07-29-2009, 10:49 PM
You don't suck because your new, you just suck because you suck...

^
Okay, little harsh, I like to think I'm funny.
But once I saw Andy at #6 I got frustrated.

Where do you think Andy belongs because quite frankly I don't know where you stand. :confused:

ice cream man
07-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Where do you think Andy belongs because quite frankly I don't know where you stand. :confused:

It's hard to compare guards to big guys, (some could make a case that Delonte is our best defender), but I think Andy is our most valuable defender. And when you look at what are team's focus has been, Andy has to be in the 3-4. But still, offensively he has outstanding hands, and has shown some decent finishing ability IMO.

Kiddo
07-29-2009, 11:06 PM
It's hard to compare guards to big guys, (some could make a case that Delonte is our best defender), but I think Andy is our most valuable defender. And when you look at what are team's focus has been, Andy has to be in the 3-4. But still, offensively he has outstanding hands, and has shown some decent finishing ability IMO.

Andy does some very nice things on offense that most people dont notice. All the screens he sets, the beautiful cuts to the hoop and the offensive rebounding. Andy could get alot of easy buckets off of Shaq being doubled.

Wine and Gold
07-29-2009, 11:11 PM

In a post I made about what players would be most postively effected by the addition of Shaq, I posted that based on how guys in Boobie's mold have thrived in the past working off of Oneal, and based on better health, he might very well set new career highs in 3pt shooting percentage, and be one of the most improved Cavaliers this season.

LeBeast23
07-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Alright you guys convinced me Andy should be switched with Z on my list.:thumbup:

LeBeast23
07-29-2009, 11:14 PM
In a post I made about what players would be most postively effected by the addition of Shaq, I posted that based on how guys in Boobie's mold have thrived in the past working off of Oneal, and based on better health, he might very well set new career highs in 3pt shooting percentage, and be one of the most improved Cavaliers this season.

He can't get much worse but if he can't defend he will NOT get many meaningful minutes in Mike Browns rotation.

Malt
07-29-2009, 11:29 PM
He can't get much worse but if he can't defend he will NOT get many meaningful minutes in Mike Browns rotation.

Fight the good fight son... :chuckles:

Boobie's gonna be fine. And his D is no worse than Mo's. For the role he is meant to play on this team, he has more than enough potential to be brilliant at it.

LeBeast23
07-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Fight the good fight son... :chuckles:

Boobie's gonna be fine. And his D is no worse than Mo's. For the role he is meant to play on this team, he has more than enough potential to be brilliant at it.

But Mo can actually dribble the ball to create his own shot.

Malt
07-29-2009, 11:37 PM
But Mo can actually dribble the ball to create his own shot.

Which is why he's our starting PG. Boobie can hide in the corner and bury an open 3. Which is his role on the team.

LeBeast23
07-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Which is why he's our starting PG. Boobie can hide in the corner and bury an open 3. Which is his role on the team.

So he gets meaningful min to get abused on defense and make an occasional three, sounds like damon jones.

THamiltonIsGod
07-30-2009, 12:24 AM
So he gets meaningful min to get abused on defense and make an occasional three, sounds like damon jones.

Give it up man...with this current roster Boobie is going to see some decent minutes this year whether you like it or not. I agree that the addition of Shaq is the best thing that can happen to Daniel Gibson's career. With Shaq and LBJ commanding doubles he'll be open all day long. He just has to knock em down...which he didn't do consistently last year.

He doesn't lack confidence that's for sure, you don't see too many guys stand and hold their follow through for 5 seconds after converting their only FG of the game. :chuckles:

bjring
07-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Short of JJ Hickson breaking out this year, and really on a roster with Shaq and Z that means he'll have to become a solid positional, help, and pick and roll defender (we'll see), I think Varejao has to be pretty high on that list. To look at it another way, what players' absence due to injury would devestate us? Obviously LeBron leads that one by a mile, but I think we could get by for a while without Z or Shaq (and indeed, one or both will probably have some DNP-CD on some back-to-backs, and this seems uncontroversial). Delonte West is important, but with the additions of Parker and Moon I think we can feel a little easier if he goes down. Maybe Mo Williams would be a huge loss, but Delonte is a capable backup-PG and again, Moon and Parker soften that blow with the legitimate options available on the perimiter.

It just happens to be the case that we not only lack depth at power forward, but we also have two centers who absolutely cannot be on the floor together. Therefore, looking at this from an value-above-available-replacements perspective, Varejao is kinda the non-LeBron MVP by default (though of course he's valuable in his own right).

But then again, MVP is a notoriously vague and arbitrary concept. It might be more useful to focus the question a bit.

Lee
07-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Alright you guys convinced me Andy should be switched with Z on my list.:thumbup:

Personally, I would put west 2nd. Even if he moves to the bench, his all around game and versitility is key for what MB does in the back court. He can defend both sg and pg, and i think was deserving of honorable mention all defense this year. He could actually be the best ball handler on the team, he can create, and he shot near 40% from 3. He can post up when defended by smaller players and doesnt seem to get outmatched even when giving up 7 inhces and guarding a player like Hedo. (rashard killed us more in that series imo) It was no coincidence he actually averaged more minutes in the playoffs than Lebron.

The things west does doesnt show up on the stat sheet. I know I have been a big proponant to west moving to the bench, but its not because I dont absolutely love what he brings. Its because he is such a talented all around player, it will give us the odom/ginobli/kukoch type tallent from a bench stand point that all championship teams seem to have...especially dynasty teams.

LeBeast23
07-30-2009, 12:17 PM
I think people are forgetting about Mo.......in one year in Cleveland he helped improve our wins +21 over the year before.

DougHeil
07-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Most Valuable Cavaliers?
All the players who make the 15 man roster, and who sit on that roster at any given period in time.

p.s. You can't realistically rank NBA players on teams against themselves. One game Mo might be more valuable than Delonte. The next; Delonte more valuable than Mo. And guards vs. centers? How the hell do you rank them? You take one of them out and you no longer have a good team.

Prime 1978
07-30-2009, 12:28 PM
I'd put Varajeo maybe 3rd or 4th. Varajeo has really been the focal point of a lot that Mike Brown has done on defense in the past few years..especially in defending against the pick and roll. Being that he is the focal point of a team that has won with 1. LeBron 2. Defense 3. Rebounding I think a guy that factors heavily in 2 out of 3 of thse factors has to be rated very high in importance to this team.

I've posted this about Andy before, he always one of the final 5 on the court when it's time to win the game. I think the Orlando series has really made a lot of fans devalue Andy. It was just a nightmare matchup for him. Their center was too big and their PF played too much of a perimeter game.

Andy in my opinion over the past 5 years has been the second most important Cav. Yes, some of this has to do with roster turn over. However he's always in the mix of games when it's "winning time". I would also argue that LeBron trusts him more than any other player late in the game. I don't have a stat for this...but I feel very strongly that LeBron has a higher percentage of assists to Anderson Varajeo than any other player in the 4th qtr of close games.

I wouldn't know where to begin to find out if this is true or not.

LyXo
07-30-2009, 12:30 PM

So what you're saying is, that if Damon Jones can hit 200+ threes in a season, it should be a cakewalk for Gibson.

Let's hope so...

LondonCav
07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Boobie will get minutes, IF he has a good season he could turn out to be a very nice trade chip the have.