PDA

View Full Version : The Cavs on Back-to-Backs

Marcus
12-08-2009, 04:09 AM
I'm a big stats geek (and let's face it, studying is boring... but I'm still making my mind work by crunching numbers, so at least I'm doing something semi-productive as I procrastinate :chuckles:). I did something similar for last year's edition of the Cavs, but I wanted to take a look at how the Cavs are doing on back-to-backs as we hit the quarter mark of the season and as we come up on another back-to-back (Dec. 8 and 9).

Here is what I found thus far:

On the first night of a back-to-back, the Cavs are 4-3.

PPG: 85.9
Opponent PPG: 80.6
Cavs FG%: 46.8%
Opponent FG%: 44.7%

On the second night of a back-to-back, the Cavs are 5-2.

PPG: 98.7
Opponent PPG: 95.6
Cavs FG%: 49.3%
Opponent FG%: 44.3%

Personally, I think the trends are just a little bit mixed up... you would expect the Cavs to play at a faster pace on the first night of a back-to-back, where they wouldn't be as tired and would have more energy. Instead, the first game of a back-to-back appears to be the type of grind it out, slower-paced game you would expect the next night, when teams are typically more tired and probably don't have the freshest of legs after playing the night before. Take into account that many of their back-to-backs were also played over a span of four games in five days.

Anyway, I thought it was something worth looking at. Any ideas as to why the Cavs come out seemingly more fired up (at least offensively) in the second game as opposed to the first?

Cratylus
12-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Any ideas as to why the Cavs come out seemingly more fired up (at least offensively) in the second game as opposed to the first?

It has to do with the level of defense that the competition likes to play.

On the first night of back-to-backs they've played: BOS, MIN, CHI, ORL, GS, IND, CHA. Other than GS all of those teams at least try to play good defense, with BOS and ORL playing very good defense. This would account for the Cavs' lower scoring and lower shooting percentages on those nights.

On the second night of back-to-backs they've played: TOR, CHA, NY, MIA, WAS, PHI, DAL. The only teams in that bunch that play any semblance of defense are CHA and MIA. This would account for the Cavs' higher scoring and better shooting percentages on those nights.

I wouldn't read anything more into it than that.

InBoobieWeTrust
12-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Because we've had three duds on the first night and have had to make up for it on the second night.

Splitz
12-08-2009, 12:53 PM
It's like when your wife asks you to do something but you're kind of half listening because you are about to beat that last level of Modern Warfare 2. She gets pissed, shuns you from sex and the bedroom, and will not acknowledge your presence. The next day, you wake up, make her breakfast in bed, do everything she asked you to do to make up for your blunder.

JayP146
12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
It's like when your wife asks you to do something but you're kind of half listening because you are about to beat that last level of Modern Warfare 2. She gets pissed, shuns you from sex and the bedroom, and will not acknowledge your presence. The next day, you wake up, make her breakfast in bed, do everything she asked you to do to make up for your blunder.

Who chooses the last level of MW2 over sex?

:thumbdown

Man Called X
12-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Who chooses the last level of MW2 over sex?

:thumbdown

I've passed up sex because I was in such an amazing zone on COD4 that I didn't want to quit.

Sorry, when you routinely are putting up 28-2 matches, you just go with it. Besides, the pussy will be there later.

Coyote
12-08-2009, 01:56 PM
In before Jigi_oi asks you guys to introduce him to your wives....

We were solid on back-to-backs last year, too, if I remember correctly. Partly because of the coaching staff's preparation, and partly due to the veterans on the team.

Excellent point about the defenses we've faced, though, Cratylus.

Cavatt
12-08-2009, 02:15 PM
It looked also like the guys were not playing with as much intensity on the first game to save up for the next night. That was really obvious against Chicago, because they were playing MSG the next night.