PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Phelps on the Miami trip

wuck
01-26-2010, 03:03 PM
As usual, some good odds and ends from Phelps:

What a Show in Miami!
Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 12:07 PM EST [General]

On a plane heading home, after the Cavaliers 92-91 win over the Heaters in Miami.

Wow, was that fun. An unbelievably entertaining game with two star players going nuts, putting on a real show. Even if the Cavaliers had lost, it would have been a great game. Just not as enjoyable.

Dwyane Wade scored 30 points in the first half, and two in the second half? Two? He was 1 of 8 on field goals in the second half. Mike Brown said they tried to play Wade straight up, with their normal defense in the first half, and it obviously didn’t work. They changed to a double team in the second, and boy did it work. Mike credited Anthony Parker with a great job defensively. He needed to credit himself for a great adjustment.

LeBron James and Wade each scored 32 points. Their overall numbers were quite similar. So was their dominance in the 2nd quarter, when LeBron scored 20 and Wade had 17. It was a treat to watch two of the three best players in the league just go back and forth, making great shot after great shot in the quarter. I was sitting next to a scout, and although the concept of team basketball was thrown out of the window for a few minutes there, he shook his head and said how great it was to watch those guys go at it.

Shaquille O’Neal followed up his 22 point game against Oklahoma City with 19 against his former team. He was 9 of 13 from the field. Mike Brown said afterwards that when the Cavs need some offense, they don’t run anything in particular – they just throw it inside to Shaq and let him do what he does. What a luxury for a coach and a team.

Daniel Gibson made his second straight start at point guard, and came up with his second straight significant contribution with 15 points. He played a team high 40 minutes – this from a guy who wasn’t getting off the bench much at all before Mo Williams and Delonte West were injured. Good for Daniel. He had been playing well and was a victim of the Cavaliers depth – something that’s happened to a couple of the guys at various times this season. Daniel has a combined total of one assist in two starts, which would be nice to see that number increase significantly.

Shortly after the game, I was waiting outside the locker room for Mike Brown’s media gathering. All of the sudden, we media schleps hear serious whooping and hollering coming from behind the closed door. Not just screaming – organized whooping and hollering, like what Drew Brees does with the New Orleans Saints before and after games. Yes, the Cavs were excited about this win. :thumbup:

My Jamario Moon Moment...

Jamario walks onto the plane carrying several bags. He stops at the seat next to me and says, “I’m going to lose my britches!” He’s just warming up. “I forgot my belt! Good thing I have this shoestring!” He proceeds to show me a blue shoe string that he has to re-tie around his waist. I tell him I think I’m looking at Jethro Bodine from the Beverly Hillbillies. He smiles, and says, “If I started selling these I’d make some real money.” Thank God he’s back.

Earlier in the day after shootaround, I asked Jamario about signing with the Cavaliers as a restricted free agent, and leaving the Miami Heat. He said, “I was going wherever it was best for my family, and if that meant Egypt, I was going to Egypt.” Luckily for the Cavaliers and this blog, the Clevelanders made a better offer than the Egyptians.

The Miami Heat Dance Team was, uh...well... they were...uh...extremely enthusiastic. Yes, that’s what they were. Extremely enthusiastic. Yikes.

The Miami game was the 4th in a stretch where the Cavs play 11 of 13 games at home. To go to Miami, play without their top two point guards, and come up with a win over the Heaters? That’s a very good victory. The only other road game in this stretch is Friday in Indianapolis against the Pacers. The Cavs have a real opportunity to jump out to a nice cushion in the Eastern Conference between now and the All-Star break.

I interviewed former Miami Dolphins head coach Don Shula during the game. What a gem. He was awed by the work of LeBron and D-Wade, and when you can awe a legendary coach like Shula, you’re doing something. Shula is from Painesville, graduated from John Carroll and played for the Browns. But after 40 years in South Florida, I think it’s OK that he was rooting for the Heaters.

I’ve called the Miami franchise the “Heaters” since it came into the league. Not all the time, just most of the time. Reason why is obvious – what the heck is a “Heat?” I know what a Cavalier is. I know what a Grizzly is. I know what a Celtic is. But can someone please tell me what a “Heat” is? It should be a rule – all team nicknames have to end in “S.” No Thunder, no Jazz, no Magic. And especially no “Heat.”

All these years later, I still crack up every time I think of former Cavalier John “Hot Rod” Williams, in Miami after signing an offer sheet, saying in his press conference, “I’m a Heat now.” Just cracks me right up.

http://www.cavfanatic.com/jeffphelps/blog/2010/01/26/what_a_show_in_miami!

Deezus
01-26-2010, 03:09 PM
The Miami Heat Dance Team was, uh...well... they were...uh...extremely enthusiastic. Yes, thatís what they were. Extremely enthusiastic. Yikes.

I missed this during the NBA TV broadcast. MUST SEE THESE DANCERS!

chiefwahoo
01-26-2010, 03:11 PM
I agree Jeff, they were enthusiastic:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/13/fullj.d9b92eb0a35a3f7de797306a437a2902/d9b92eb0a35a3f7de797306a437a2902-getty-90043360ib033_cavaliers_heat.jpg

Splitz
01-26-2010, 03:15 PM
“I’m going to lose my britches!” -Jamario Moon

I realize that Jamario Moon has played in every country on earth at some point but did he also just step out of a time machine from the 1920's?

Richfield Kid
01-26-2010, 03:55 PM
I agree Jeff, they were enthusiastic:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/13/fullj.d9b92eb0a35a3f7de797306a437a2902/d9b92eb0a35a3f7de797306a437a2902-getty-90043360ib033_cavaliers_heat.jpg

More please. :)

Splitz
01-26-2010, 04:12 PM

Anyone notice the refs in the background talking about which one they'd like to slam after the game? These ladies really have some nice teeth.

*THE ORIGINAL*
01-26-2010, 04:22 PM
I realize that Jamario Moon has played in every country on earth at some point but did he also just step out of a time machine from the 1920's?

Isn't he from bama or mississippi? Britches is a very common word in the south

JayP146
01-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Isn't he from bama or mississippi? Britches is a very common word in the south

Yep, he's from a small town in Mississippi.

IBleedWine&Gold
01-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Go to the game thread i included some nice pictures of the heat dancers:D

Douglar
01-26-2010, 04:32 PM
I missed this during the NBA TV broadcast. MUST SEE THESE ADULT ENTERTAINERS!

Fixed---

Richfield Kid
01-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Go to the game thread i included some nice pictures of the heat dancers:D

Thanks! If you're talking about the ones in the beginning of the thread, they are f'n great!, but I saw those yesterday. I need more! haha.

"I am NEVER satisfied! It's a curse." - Chazz Michael Michaels