PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies Game Chalk Talk

I.K.W.T
02-02-2010, 10:24 PM
I went to the chalk talk tonight, and yes Danny Ferry did come and he talked this time!!!!!!!!! He gave a lot of good information.

Regarding Wally: He said that last year, he felt that he could not get anything for Wally, so therefore he did not trade him. He said it was not a buyers market and he was getting offers for nothing. This year, however, if a trade does occur, more than likely he will be involved.

Regarding Last years trade deadline: He had a deal in place with the Sun's where we would send 6 players to them. He said that he did not back away, but Steve Kerr eventually did. I found this intriguing because why the hell would we trade 6 of our players?

Regarding Philly and Antawn: He doesn't quite know what each team will do yet, but the talks with philly are in the developmental stage and he believes that more opportunities will present themselves. He also said, the earlier something can be done, the better.

Regarding Leon Powe: He Doesn't think that he will make a big difference this year at all, and will make a big difference next year.

He said there are many talks, and there will be many more rumors, and reiterated when talking about Z that this is a business and he will make a business decision.

Thunder
02-02-2010, 10:27 PM
6 of our players to the Suns...wtf...Amare?

Purple Vein
02-02-2010, 10:28 PM
we must have wanted Amare and Shaq to send six players their way?

3 Da Hard Way
02-02-2010, 10:29 PM
6 players

one of you trade geeks figure that one out...glad it didn't go down though, im sure one of those dudes was West:mad:

Hydroponic3385
02-02-2010, 10:29 PM
The info about Wally being used and the sooner the better for a trade = :thumbup:

PS - Thanks so much for posting, InLebronWeTrust. If you manage to keep this up, you'll be in for A LOT of thanked posts on here. ;)

Northstar
02-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Regarding Last years trade deadline: He had a deal in place with the Sun's where we would send 6 players to them. He said that he did not back away, but Steve Kerr eventually did. I found this intriguing because why the hell would we trade 6 of our players?

It could have been a bunch of our bench players. Did he say who the deal was for? Shaq or Amare?

It was probably something like Wally + Jawad + Lorenzen + Kinsey + DJ + JJ.

I.K.W.T
02-02-2010, 10:34 PM
It could have been a bunch of our bench players. Did he say who the deal was for? Shaq or Amare?

He mentioned shaq, but that was it. Ferry said that if we had eventually made that trade, it would've essentially been like pushing the reset button.

Hydroponic3385
02-02-2010, 10:35 PM

Could definitely swap Ben/Sasha (or perhaps even Boobie) for some of those. I'd guess it was about getting back Shaq/Amare or Shaq/Richardson.

Boom Outta Here
02-02-2010, 10:36 PM

No way he'd give up Kinsey, his assists off the bench were far to valuable.

Actually, that's the same 6 that popped into my head.

Silky Smooth
He mentioned shaq, but that was it. Ferry said that if we had eventually made that trade, it would've essentially been like pushing the reset button.

:eek:. Wow. That's scary to even think about.

Andrew
wow 6 players? Crazy shit

Mdog1
02-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh thank god Danny. I'm glad that you did at the very least have a deal in place. Any ways I guess that the most intriuging part of what Ferry said was the 6 players. My guess would be that it was a deal for Shaq and Amare. I assume that it would have been Shaq and Amare.

Chris
02-02-2010, 10:43 PM
WOW. Great information, props.

This also reaffirms my faith in Ferry. He will do the right thing.

GoGetta
02-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Regarding Wally: He said that last year, he felt that he could not get anything for Wally, so therefore he did not trade him.

Lol, oh ferry. what a load of BS. He knows he fucked it up by not trading him. Just trying to defend himself but i know there were deals for wally's contract.

Lord Mar
02-02-2010, 10:45 PM
WOW. Great information, props.

This also reaffirms my faith in Ferry. He will do the right thing.

John Kerry...is that you?? :chuckles:

Lol, oh ferry. what a load of BS. He knows he fucked it up by not trading him. Just trying to defend himself but i know there were deals for wally's contract.

I'm pretty sure he offered Wally for VC last year.

Chris
John Kerry...is that you?? :chuckles:

Hey I said last night I was giving Ferry the benefit of the doubt.

Fuck you hans blix!!!

TheNewEra
It's still hard to believe that 6 players traded in one trade and not even 3rd team was involved.

Hydroponic3385

You don't know shit. Of course there were offers, but as far as we know there was nothing great.

Chris
02-02-2010, 10:47 PM
That 6 player deal had to be for Amare. Had to be.

I.K.W.T
02-02-2010, 10:48 PM

Well the question towards Ferry was, "With you failing to trade Wally, who was a very valuable trade piece, what do you have in-store with Z?" and he said that he was not getting good offers for wally, in-fact, he used the word "shit" but he stopped and bleeped. It was pretty funny. That's when he went into the fact that it's a business and he'll do whatever is right for Z. And snuck in at the end, "oh and i can still trade wally, it would be like a comeback for him, so i'm looking for that possibility."

BooyaCS
02-02-2010, 10:51 PM
That 6 player deal had to be for Amare. Had to be.

What else though? A six player deal could be 3 and 3 (we send three they send 3 and poof it is a six player deal).

It could be a 5 and 1 but that is weird and I don't know what 5 would equal Amare/Shaq/Richardson's contract and not hurt us going into the playoffs.

More than likely it was probably a 4 and 2.

We send 4 players, picks and cash and get 2 back. In that case Amare and Richardson made the most sense.

Probably would be something like this
Ben Wallace, JJ, West, 2009 pick (Eyenga), 2011 pick and cash for
Amare and Richardson.

GoGetta
02-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Wasnt there a deal for Salmons and Miller from sac for wally, but we wanted to make it a 3 way to get Camby?

NorthCoastBias
02-02-2010, 10:54 PM
What else though? A six player deal could be 3 and 3 (we send three they send 3 and poof it is a six player deal).

It could be a 5 and 1 but that is weird and I don't know what 5 would equal Amare/Shaq/Richardson's contract and not hurt us going into the playoffs.

More than likely it was probably a 4 and 2.

We send 4 players, picks and cash and get 2 back. In that case Amare and Richardson made the most sense.

Probably would be something like this
Ben Wallace, JJ, West, 2009 pick (Eyenga), 2011 pick and cash for
Amare and Richardson.
The OP said that WE were sending out 6 players. Who knows how many players total were involved.

I.K.W.T
02-02-2010, 10:56 PM
The OP said that WE were sending out 6 players. Who knows how many players total were involved.

Yes he said "6 of our 14 players would have been involved, and it would be like pressing the reset button."

Bison11
02-02-2010, 11:03 PM
That 6 player deal is very interesting indeed. Glad it did not get done though.

I am just glad that he is actively looking to deal and looking hard.

I just want to see who else becomes available if anyone closer to the deadline.

Lord Mar
02-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Maybe a Z for Jamison or Z for Murphy deal won't work because it's below the 'Ferry threshold for players involved in a deadline deal'?

Hydroponic3385
02-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Knowing how Ferry works, and hearing some of what we've heard recently, I wouldn't be shocked if Ferry's main goal right now is to find another 3-way trade (and including Wally in it if necessary).

It's hard to picture us acquiring Iguodala without taking on Dalembert or Brand as well. It's hard to picture us making a 2-way trade with Washington for Jamison. And it's hard to picture us just trading for Murphy (since that wouldn't be all that much of an impact). Ferry will be trying to pull something out of left field, and I just have a gut feeling a trade WILL get done in the next few weeks. If it doesn't, it won't be for Ferry's lack of effort or creativity.

Lord Mar
02-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Knowing how Ferry works, and hearing some of what we've heard recently, I wouldn't be shocked if Ferry's main goal right now is to find another 3-way trade (and including Wally in it if necessary).

It's hard to picture us acquiring Iguodala without taking on Dalembert or Brand as well. It's hard to picture us making a 2-way trade with Washington for Jamison. And it's hard to picture us just trading for Murphy (since that wouldn't be all that much of an impact). Ferry will be trying to pull something out of left field, and I just have a gut feeling a trade WILL get done in the next few weeks. If it doesn't, it won't be for Ferry's lack of effort or creativity.

I still find it interesting that, according to Windhorst, PHI called us about Iguodala.

MYoung23
02-02-2010, 11:09 PM

How do you pick out that part and ignore this part?

He had a deal in place with the Sun's where we would send 6 players to them. He said that he did not back away, but Steve Kerr eventually did.

Oreos
02-02-2010, 11:18 PM
The fact that he was willing to send 6 players and essentially "reset" the team makes me think that he wasn't very confident in this team to get far in the playoffs last year. I don't think he was really drinking the team chemistry Kool-Aid he was spouting last year.

bob2the2nd
02-02-2010, 11:28 PM
The fact that he was willing to send 6 players and essentially "reset" the team makes me think that he wasn't very confident in this team to get far in the playoffs last year. I don't think he was really drinking the team chemistry Kool-Aid he was spouting last year.

or he realized he had a chance to grab some fantastic talent the even if it would have messed up the cavs last year would have made a huge positive impact long term.

im looking over the roster from the suns last year and I cant even begin to think of who it could have been for. J-rich, grant hill, amare, oneal, barbosa, lopez all come up as possible players. As far as the cavs I dont think it takes much to identify that wally, JJ, and west were involved. other possibilities include ben, jawad, darnell, and sasha.

Gunther
02-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Remember that Shaq counts as at least 2 of those 6 players. :rolleyes:

Goozer
02-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Total respect for the OP here, but as someone who was also there, I'd temper the part about the Cavaliers pushing the "reset" button had this 6 player (to the Suns) trade gone down. In my opinion, it was more along the lines of the Suns pressing reset and that it would have been a tough trade to swallow from the Cavs perspective simply because of the turnover required with 2 months left in the season combined with the Cavaliers emphasis on team chemistry and not wanting to rock the boat while having the best record in the NBA at the time. But yes, Danny seemed to suggest that Steve Kerr at the end of the day wasn't quite there with the deal either.

Ferry used the "reset button" phrase quite a bit during the Q&A, but it was always in reference to the "other" team pressng the reset button and not the Cavs. Frankly, he used it quite a bit when discussing this years trade market with the usual suspects being the 76ers, Wizards ... but an interesting nugget, to me, at the time was he seemed to throw the the Celtics into that mix by noting that unconfirmed word around the league before last nite's game was that Paul Pierce's injury is possibly a broken foot which lead to speculation on his part that the Celtics could be more active at the deadline, possibly looking to Philly as a trade partner and making a run at Iguadala (although I don't believe he mentioned Iggy by name).

One other item, he did confirm interest in Steven Jackson (he seemed to go out of his way to mention this) earlier in the season and explained that no matter who the Cavaliers bring in they try to understand how much that player will demand the ball (he mentioned he is a big stat guy and one of the metrics they use/measure is "possession" rate. In simple terms, if you take the 5 guys on the floor, and divide equally then each player has a 20% possession rate. Clearly, this is the baseline and is not the norm when thinking of the typical 5 guys on the floor - ie. they have Lebron calculated at a 35% possession rate player which means you have to have others on the floor that command the ball or require less touches (think AP and JJ).

In Danny's eye's, the Cavaliers run their offense through LbJ, Shaq and Mo, and to a certain degree if you bring in someone who has a high ball "possession" rate, that you are obviously then going to be taking away from your better players. At the end of the day, he admitted that they have to get a feel that a players can "fit" with LbJ and that they can't make a decision in a vacuum. An example here is that he stated that while they liked and pursued SJax, that there was "absolutely no way" that he would avg. 20ppg in Cle, instead he would likely be in the 13-14 ppg range here. Also, he specifically mentioned Larry Hughes as someone who clearly didn't fit with LbJ and I believe he also went out of his way once to mention that the Hughes trade to CHI was "addition by subtraction".

Really, Ferry was quite candid and while joking that he likely would have to evade certain questions knowing that there would be quite a few trade deadline Q's, he really didn't duck anything and was very revealing.

theSTEREO.
02-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Very, very impressed with our GM. Not only with the things that he's doing, but being that willing to discuss sensitive matters to his fan base.

Classy for sure.

MYoung23
02-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Total respect for the OP here, but as someone who was also there, I'd temper the part about the Cavaliers pushing the "reset" button had this 6 player (to the Suns) trade gone down. In my opinion, it was more along the lines of the Suns pressing reset and that it would have been a tough trade to swallow from the Cavs perspective simply because of the turnover required with 2 months left in the season combined with the Cavaliers emphasis on team chemistry and not wanting to rock the boat while having the best record in the NBA at the time. But yes, Danny seemed to suggest that Steve Kerr at the end of the day wasn't quite there with the deal either.

Ferry used the "reset button" phrase quite a bit during the Q&A, but it was always in reference to the "other" team pressng the reset button and not the Cavs. Frankly, he used it quite a bit when discussing this years trade market with the usual suspects being the 76ers, Wizards ... but an interesting nugget, to me, at the time was he seemed to throw the the Celtics into that mix by noting that unconfirmed word around the league before last nite's game was that Paul Pierce's injury is possibly a broken foot which lead to speculation on his part that the Celtics could be more active at the deadline, possibly looking to Philly as a trade partner and making a run at Iguadala (although I don't believe he mentioned Iggy by name).

One other item, he did confirm interest in Steven Jackson (he seemed to go out of his way to mention this) earlier in the season and explained that no matter who the Cavaliers bring in they try to understand how much that player will demand the ball (he mentioned he is a big stat guy and one of the metrics they use/measure is "possession" rate. In simple terms, if you take the 5 guys on the floor, and divide equally then each player has a 20% possession rate. Clearly, this is the baseline and is not the norm when thinking of the typical 5 guys on the floor - ie. they have Lebron calculated at a 35% possession rate player which means you have to have others on the floor that command the ball or require less touches (think AP and JJ).

In Danny's eye's, the Cavaliers run their offense through LbJ, Shaq and Mo, and to a certain degree if you bring in someone who has a high ball "possession" rate, that you are obviously then going to be taking away from your better players. At the end of the day, he admitted that they have to get a feel that a players can "fit" with LbJ and that they can't make a decision in a vacuum. An example here is that he stated that while they liked and pursued SJax, that there was "absolutely no way" that he would avg. 20ppg in Cle, instead he would likely be in the 13-14 ppg range here. Also, he specifically mentioned Larry Hughes as someone who clearly didn't fit with LbJ and I believe he also went out of his way once to mention that the Hughes trade to CHI was "addition by subtraction".

Really, Ferry was quite candid and while joking that he likely would have to evade certain questions knowing that there would be quite a few trade deadline Q's, he really didn't duck anything and was very revealing.

This, is a great first post. :thumbup:

Gunther
02-03-2010, 11:03 AM
<Long post omitted.>

Great nuggets of info in there, Goozer. Old school rep for you.

Green Lantern
02-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Interesting..he was ready to ship 6 out..been nice if someone had asked him if Wally was one of the 6..and who else the Suns would have included.
And that bit about Hughes should discourage any more talk about him..he's not wanted here.

wuck
02-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Regarding Leon Powe: He Doesn't think that he will make a big difference this year at all, and will make a big difference next year.

I think this comment from Ferry is worth highlighting, since it hasn't been mentioned and since many posters in other threads (but none in this thread) have talked about Powe's health helping to solve problems that would be opened up by potential trades this year (let's say, sending bigs away for Iguodala).

If the GM doesn't think that Powe is going to help this year, and is willing to say so publicly, then the Cavs trading options may be somewhat constrained. I agree that the Cavs can't look to Powe to provide anything this year. I would argue they can rely on him less than any other player getting substantial minutes at this instant, at least until his recovery takes a big leap. That's too bad, but I would rather Ferry plan that way instead of expecting production that's not there yet.

I do love that Ferry talked about getting Wally into the mix after Windhorst suggested a week ago that wasn't likely.

Sea
02-03-2010, 11:16 AM
what is chalk talk?

theSTEREO.
02-03-2010, 11:17 AM
what is chalk talk?

It's a private Q&A session for season ticket holders before certain games throughout the season.

abraxas
02-03-2010, 11:40 AM
I must say, I'm shocked how candid Ferry was. He generally acts like a CIA agent w/ secrecy. But this is cool to see how his thinking works.

I'm curious - from those that were there, was there a sense that he is eager to do a trade, or just open to what happens? There's been reports that we've been the most active team on the market and I guess I'm wondering how eager Ferry is to bring someone in or is it similar to last season where we are content with what we have and unless we score a complete win in a trade, he's content to stand put?

Goozer
02-03-2010, 11:47 AM
On Powe, I believe he was simply trying to soften expectations. Ferry's eyes seemed to light up a bit in stating that Powe's rehab is going great, but when talking about the micro-fracture surgery in general it is simply a tough road to hoe that requires many obstacles being cleared during the road to recovery - some of which that are beyond the players direct control.

Take for example how we always hear Mike Brown wishing for more practice time ... on the surface you would think that this long homestand and lack of back-to-backs for the foreseeable future would allow for significact practice time. Wrong. Mo and Delonte are out. Other players are fighting nagging injuries (Jawad and Green). Shaqs minutes are not only being limited in games, but also in practice as well. Ditto Lebron. Point being, a real 10 man up and down the floor practice that likely would include Cedric Jackson and Chris Jent logging significant time isn't terribly productive or even realistic when it comes to providing a player the opportunity to get over the final hurdle in terms of making it back onto the floor. Remember, while Powe is a young veteran, he would still be working in a new system with players around him that play a bit different compared to what he was used to in Boston.

My read: We'll see him if the rehab continues, but expecting him to be in the regular 7-8 man rotation come playoffs, doubtful. More likely that he is someone they go to for short spurts depending upon matchups, foul trouble, if Z goes for 30 days, etc.

Richfield Kid
02-03-2010, 11:54 AM
I think this comment from Ferry is worth highlighting, since it hasn't been mentioned and since many posters in other threads (but none in this thread) have talked about Powe's health helping to solve problems that would be opened up by potential trades this year (let's say, sending bigs away for Iguodala).

If the GM doesn't think that Powe is going to help this year, and is willing to say so publicly, then the Cavs trading options may be somewhat constrained. I agree that the Cavs can't look to Powe to provide anything this year. I would argue they can rely on him less than any other player getting substantial minutes at this instant, at least until his recovery takes a big leap. That's too bad, but I would rather Ferry plan that way instead of expecting production that's not there yet.

It's been amusing how many people think Powe can produce this year. 3rd surgery on this knee, microfracture, etc. I honestly think we can rely more on Delonte's production for this year's playoffs, even with the mental issues. If Powe came back off this surgery and was a valuable rotation player in the playoffs, he would basically be setting the record for recovery from microfracture surgery. IMO, expecting 5 minutes of good play per game is too much to assume this year from Powe. I expect solid back up play next year, that's about it.

Damage
02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Wasnt there a deal for Salmons and Miller from sac for wally, but we wanted to make it a 3 way to get Camby?

And believe me, when I think of 3ways, the 3-pron scholng combo of Camby, Salmons and Miller is the first group I dream of.

Sincerely,

Jig and his gimp

Cavatt
02-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Interesting..he was ready to ship 6 out..been nice if someone had asked him if Wally was one of the 6..and who else the Suns would have included.
And that bit about Hughes should discourage any more talk about him..he's not wanted here.

Ferry likes Dudley and seeing his production go up this year makes me feel more confident in his ability to see talent.

mAo_mAo
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Ferry likes Dudley and seeing his production go up this year makes me feel more confident in his ability to see talent.

That also applies with Ferry wanting Frye, DWest, and many other talents. See all the Euro prospects he has overseas. He really is a proud product of the San Antonio organization.

Cavatt
02-03-2010, 01:15 PM
That also applies with Ferry wanting Frye, DWest, and many other talents. See all the Euro prospects he has overseas. He really is a proud product of the San Antonio organization.

It is why I don't want to give up on JJ. He has been playing better and everyone that said he can't rebound are being proven wrong. Confidence is the biggest thing for him. He is confident again and he is playing well.