PDA

View Full Version : Browns Stadium to become Dome??..

RichOne
03-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Developer Hopes To Raise $90M For Stadium Dome
Councilman Says Building Roofless Stadium Was Mistake

POSTED: 6:28 pm EST February 14, 2006

CLEVELAND -- A local developer is leading the efforts in raising the $90 million it would cost to put a dome on Cleveland Browns Stadium, reported 5 On Your Side's Tony Gaskins.

City Councilman Mike Polensik and developer Bob Corna outlined their proposal Tuesday to the listeners of the Mike Trivisono Show on WTAM. The plan would cap the stadium with a state-of-the-art retractable roof.

"If you look 10 years out and look at the picture, what we're talking about is quite simply, what can you draw with a stadium like that? Well, No. 1 is the Super Bowl," said Corna.

Corna said the money could be raised by continuing the tax on cigarettes and alcohol that built Gateway, and also by getting political and civic leaders involved, an essential step in redeveloping the lakefront.

SURVEY
Do you think the city of Cleveland should put a dome on Browns Stadium?
Yes
No

Results | Disclaimer

"Clearly, we have a 10-year window to figure out how to do this -- how to build a convention center out toward the lakefront, how to attach it to the stadium, and how to create the kind of lakefront we all dreamed about and talked about for a very long time," said Polensek.

Polensek said it was a big mistake to build the stadium without a dome, and the city is paying the price by having a lakefront that is largely untapped.

Corna believes if the stadium had a roof, the city could have hosted the last Super Bowl.

" I watched the Super Bowl last week and saw what they could do with a covered stadium, and that facility is used every day of the year. It's constantly used. We built our stadium for 10 days," said Corna.

In order to get the ball rolling on this proposal, Corna and Polensek will have to get some important people on their side, including Mayor Frank Jackson, Browns owner Randy Lerner and the Cuyahoga County commissioners.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/7056180/detail.html link

Times have really changed at Browns Stadium today as to when I was a kid. Guys would be smoking joints and turning around peeing right in their seats. I just wanted thoughts on this idea for the stadium for I think that it has become way to corporate and really kinda of boring there. Now adding a roof to bring in more sponsers and host more events. I really think it takes away from the history of the Browns and the old Municipal Stadium.

Thoughts?

cavincali
03-05-2006, 02:31 PM
No no no no no and hell no. You think that its to corporate now, what do you think it will be like when theirs a roof and no elements involved.

You actually think that their will be a superbowl in Cleveland, come on if that were to happen everyone would be making fun of the city.

Im not knocking you it just seems to far out. But than again Lerner is a very very very rich man.

PIP
03-05-2006, 02:35 PM
No no no no no and hell no. You think that its to corporate now, what do you think it will be like when theirs a roof and no elements involved.

You actually think that their will be a superbowl in Cleveland, come on if that were to happen everyone would be making fun of the city.

Im not knocking you it just seems to far out. But than again Lerner is a very very very rich man. :eek: I live here, and I would say you hit it on the head.. :chuckles:

Although, Cleveland > Detroit....

They need to just keep the superbowl #1. outdoors.. #2. they should keep it in Miami and San Diego every year..

cdt
03-05-2006, 04:20 PM
I'd love to see a Domeless Stadium in like C-Town or Chicago that'd be dope a snowbowl..

RichOne
03-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Well this seems to be the way they are heading. Was informed about this from Charlie Fryes brother. I couldnt believe it so I had to look up on it. Artificial turf!? Air condition and heat..?! :thumbdown

This would go against all that is Holy in Browns town. Glad to see some oppose it. Will be interesting to see what develops..

RichOne
03-05-2006, 07:16 PM

Im not knocking you it just seems to far out. But than again Lerner is a very very very rich man.

Who are you speakin out to, 5 on your side reporter Tony Gaskins?..

Mandingo
03-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Cleveland football and artic temps go hand in hand. Damn the dome. :thumbdown

cdt
03-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Anyone interested in ditching school work or any other prior obligations and go protest?

We can chant...

"We wont go home till you say screw the dome"

Dungong
03-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Could it be a retractable dome? Theres no way Browns games should be played inside. Heck, football shouldn't be played inside or on artificial turf for that matter, thats what the Arena League is for.

Mac
03-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Its retractable people...

and it's not going to happen.

These guys want to being the Super Bowl to Cleveland, which is impossible. There arent enough hotels and there isnt a convo center to hold everything else for the Super Bowl.

It's just not going to happen.

The original idea is this guy wants to put a retractable roof on the stadium, which would always be open for Browns game, but closed for concerts, soccer games, and their hopes of landing the super bowl.

Pipe dream.

RuanuLaw
03-05-2006, 11:04 PM
WOUN'T HAPPEN!

The dome would cost somewhere close to $50 Million!

The Super Bowl raises revenues of about $40 million to the city.

Not worth it. It is just politicians of Cleveland. And we know what happened to the Browns the last time politicians got involved.

Cavs1
03-06-2006, 01:40 AM
dome + cleveland = no. that is simple math.

natedagg
03-06-2006, 10:34 AM
i am surprised that none of you are looking at this from the other side. Cleveland is a dying city, although the burbs around it are doing just fine, they just have nothing to unite them in the center. If we had a dome, we could still have all of our home games with the dome open, yet still be able to draw people to the city for events other than 8 home games. Just because it is a new idea doesn't mean it is selling out... I can't say how accurate or probable this dome thing is, but I support it.

Mac
03-06-2006, 11:03 AM
I would support it too...but this guy wants the Super Bowl and it's just not going to happen.

I also dont live in Cuyahoga Co so my opinion doesnt matter.

natedagg
03-06-2006, 11:31 AM
i don't either, anymore... yeah, the superbowl is a little far-fetched, but just to give the city a shot in the arm, all the other events would be worth it (and perhaps the SB comes in 20 or 30 years).

cavincali
03-06-2006, 04:06 PM
It would be fine if they had it opened for every Browns game, having concerts in CBS would be a lot more profitable than having it in the Q.

LyXo
03-06-2006, 05:53 PM
If all the Browns games are played with the roof retracted and the grass remains grass rather than Astroturf... then I have no beef with it. But something tells me it will be astroturf... how are they going to make it multifunctional facility without it? I guess if they just limit it to soccer and concerts (stage directly on grass), that could work...

Dunno, I just feel like dome football teams are for the weak.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/1999/preview/teams/news/1999/07/26/afc_east_colts/t1_manning_ap_01.jpghttp://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nfl/2005/1030/photo/a_culpepper_195.jpg