PDA

View Full Version : The True Cleveland Curse

Wes
05-14-2010, 10:59 AM
When it comes to being a Cleveland sports fan, there are a lot of people that have many more years of frustration and heartbreak under their belt than I do. For me, things started out pretty low. My first vivid sports memory is the Browns losing the 1987 AFC Championship game to the Denver Broncos, also known as, "The Drive." I remember sitting at home with my mother and sister watching the game on T.V., and while I didn't fully understand the magnitude of what had just happened, the feeling of disappointment was certainly felt (on a side note, my father was at the game, and to this day, still contends that the winning field goal was not good).

The years went by, and so did the disappointments, too many to mention here. Add them all up, and the popular feeling is that Cleveland is a "cursed" sports town. As a result, any professional sports team in Cleveland that even sniffs a hint of success is doomed to failure, no matter what they do. It's the curse. While there is certainly a lot of evidence to support such a claim, my feelings on the matter are a little different. I don't doubt that a curse exists, I just think it has been mis-defined. The real curse lies with the fact that as Cleveland sports fans, we are forced to relive these heartbreaking moments over and over again. Every time the Browns play on primetime television, we are shown highlights of "The Drive" or "The Fumble." When the Indians make the playoffs, we are shown images of Game 7 of the 1997 World Series, or "The Catch" by Willie Mays. When the Cavs play the Bulls, you just know the video of Jordan over Ehlo is coming at some point. And sometimes, we are tortured with a video montage of all of the past disappointments and failures brutally thrown in our faces.

So here I sit, the morning after the Cavs and LeBron James have been eliminated from the Conference Semifinals by the Boston Celtics. Immediately in the rear-view mirror lies yet another disappointment, one that appeared way too early. Scanning the road ahead, I am faced with 7 weeks of media members, bloggers, and outside fans taking every opportunity they can to tell the world all about Cleveland's shortcomings, and why it would be foolish for a player like LeBron James to even consider resigning with the Cavs. 48 or so consecutive days that will rival any video montage that we Cleveland fans have ever had to endure. So while others may say that the sports teams in this city are cursed, I say to them that they are focusing on the wrong group of people. Players, coaches, and owners of those teams come and go, but the people who root for those teams remain the constant. Being a Cleveland sports fan, and reliving the painful memories over and over, is the true "Curse."

Just to be clear, I didn't write this looking for pity from any Cleveland fans here, or from any people that aren't fans of Cleveland sports. I just wanted to throw out my take, and what I think of, when people refer to The Curse.

The Common Man
05-14-2010, 11:07 AM
can't like a thread about Cleveland with the poster's name being "Wes"

DraftPick
05-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Great take. I agree 100% The loss this year just hurts a little more. Maybe because we have nothing else to turn too, the Indians are a disaster.

But I don't think I can watch espn until Lebron reseigns here. Everything they say is so biased to big cities it makes me sick. I almost broke something really expensive after listening to Colin Cowheard.

P.S. My Dad was at The Drive as well and he says the same thing your Dad said abouty that field goal.

Magic Brownies
05-14-2010, 01:44 PM
this IS the worst. never have the chances been so legitimate, the expectations been so high and the results so, so, soooo low.:(

has anyone thought of once again setting the river on fire, to burn away and cancel out the curse? it might work, weve tried everything else.

The Human Q-Tip
05-14-2010, 01:50 PM
this IS the worst. never have the chances been so legitimate, the expectations been so high and the results so, so, soooo low.:(

I dunno. We were one damn pitch away from the World Series title. First team ever to lose game 7 with a lead going into the 9th inning. The champagne was all set....I think that's when my expectations were the highest, and I go back to the Miracle at Richfield days.

But for the Cavs, this one is easily the worst.

crabby
05-14-2010, 02:03 PM
I live in Toronto and didn't know much about Cleveland until my sister moved there 15 years ago. I didn't even know that most of Americans liked to joke about the city. I've visited Cleveland twice and the people are among the friendliest Americans I have met, compared to NY, Boston, Hartford, New Jersey, Buffalo.

According to my sister, the character that the Ghost Whisperer TV series is based on a woman living in North Roya, Ohio; she claims that Cleveland is cursed and has offered her assistances to remove the curse. There is talk about some Native American buried in downtown that shoud be returned to his right burial location. Or maybe chief wahoo is bothering the Native spirits.

Even a shit city like Toronto has won 2 World Series so I can't see how Cleveland can't win even 1. The city of Cleveland certainly deserves more but after following the Cavs since '07 I am already spent. I can only imagine how tough it is for people living there who've experienced about 50 years of heartbreak.

Triplethreat
05-14-2010, 04:53 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bHrEWFM33dA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bHrEWFM33dA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

We are sooo cursed :(

MoGottiFor3
05-14-2010, 05:08 PM
It sucks, I still remember when I became a Cavs fan in 2002 going to a game with all the empty blue seats.

It amazes me we have came so far, we made it to the finals with a team of Sasha Pavlovic, Larry Hughes, Drew Gooden but can't make it with Mo Williams, Antawn Jamison, Shaq?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itBxvQ6tUO4

Gunther
05-14-2010, 05:11 PM
I dunno. We were one damn pitch away from the World Series title. First team ever to lose game 7 with a lead going into the 9th inning. The champagne was all set....I think that's when my expectations were the highest, and I go back to the Miracle at Richfield days.

But for the Cavs, this one is easily the worst.

Agree. The 1997 WS and "The Shot" by Jordan hurt much, much worse.

Rick Astley
05-14-2010, 05:12 PM
It sucks, I still remember when I became a Cavs fan in 2002 going to a game with all the empty blue seats.

It amazes me we have came so far, we made it to the finals with a team of Sasha Pavlovic, Larry Hughes, Drew Gooden but can't make it with Mo Williams, Antawn Jamison, Shaq?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itBxvQ6tUO4

Back then, things weren't so balanced. Detroit was the only threat and they were even against us.

Today, Rd1 to Finals are hell.

-Akronite-
05-14-2010, 05:17 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bHrEWFM33dA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bHrEWFM33dA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

We are sooo cursed :(

Is that the guitar riff for "Roxanne" by The Police?

GaryBriggs
05-14-2010, 05:18 PM
No way was the shot worse than this.

Game 7, maybe. But this was made so much worse by the fact that they quit.

Going into the WS, we had our warts - the pitching just wasn't there. Going into this series, I saw no warts. They were the best team in the NBA.