PDA

View Full Version : Windy: Cavs still pondering buying a pick in Thursday's NBA draft

raisen
06-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Cleveland Cavaliers still pondering buying a pick in Thursday's NBA draft

Brian Windhorst

Published: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 9:10 PM Updated: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 9:13 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- There's an adage in the NBA that there's only three ways to get players: sign them, trade for them or draft them.:wtf:

Which is why Thursday's draft is an important day for teams -- whether they own draft picks or not.

The Cavaliers are in the latter position this year, having traded their first-round pick to the Washington Wizards and their second-round choice to the Phoenix Suns. But that doesn't mean they are not involved.

At the end of the season, team owner Dan Gilbert said he hoped to get a draft pick by making a trade or buying a pick. According to league sources, those plans are being followed through. Over the last week the Cavs have amped up talks with other teams to set the stage for getting into the bottom half of the first round or in the second round.

The team is believed to be targeting big men who may be available. This draft doesn't have instant-impact centers or power forwards, but is generally regarded as being deep in big men. That is one of the reasons the Cavs may be interested.

The team's second priority, it is believed, would be a point guard. There's a chance the team will be altering its backcourt before next season.

Historically, most picks are exchanged on draft night, especially if they are sold. Teams can pay up to $3 million for a pick and because of that rule, that is usually what the price for first rounders defaults to. Usually a team will target a player or two and then wait to see if he's available before attempting the trade, which is why these deals often happen at the last minute.

There is expected to be several picks sold this season because some teams are looking to preserve salary cap space they'd have to use on rookies while others are looking to help erase losses.

The Cavs have purchased second-round picks in each of the last two years. Those picks change hands with cash more often than first-round picks but the prices are going up. When they bought the draft rights to Sasha Kaun in 2008, it cost around $300,000. Last season the Cavs were outbid for a second-round pick by the Houston Rockets to the tune of $2.25 million. Already this week, the Portland Trail Blazers reportedly paid $2 million to move up 10 spots in the second round.

Nonetheless, with Gilbert's backing the Cavs will likely be aggressive in attempting to acquire at least one pick. While they are seldom impact players, there are prizes that come from the late first round and early in the second round. Five current Cavs were second-round draft picks and three others were taken with picks in the 20s.

Williams update:On Monday, Yahoo! Sports reported the Trail Blazers were interested in trading for Mo Williams. League sources have indicated the Cavs have tested the market but aren't committed to trading him. :jerkoff:Williams' three years and $26 million left on his contract make him challenging to trade, however the Cavs aren't believed to be interested in moving Williams unless they can get comparable talent back in return.

If the Cavs trade a guard in the next several weeks, it will more likely be Delonte West, who has a contract that is only partially guaranteed for next season.

Expansion at Q:The Cavs announced they will be expanding and re-designing the team shop at The Q during the summer. With strong merchandise sales over the last several years, the team has planned to add retail space for some time. During construction there will be a temporary team shop set up during business hours just inside the Time Warner Cable entrance.

Smooth
06-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Cleveland Cavaliers still pondering buying a pick in Thursday's NBA draft (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/06/cleveland_cavaliers_still_pond.html)
Updated: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 9:13 PM
Brian Windhorst, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- There's an adage in the NBA that there's only three ways to get players: sign them, trade for them or draft them.

Which is why Thursday's draft is an important day for teams -- whether they own draft picks or not.

The Cavaliers are in the latter position this year, having traded their first-round pick to the Washington Wizards and their second-round choice to the Phoenix Suns. But that doesn't mean they are not involved.

At the end of the season, team owner Dan Gilbert said he hoped to get a draft pick by making a trade or buying a pick. According to league sources, those plans are being followed through. Over the last week the Cavs have amped up talks with other teams to set the stage for getting into the bottom half of the first round or in the second round.

The team is believed to be targeting big men who may be available. This draft doesn't have instant-impact centers or power forwards, but is generally regarded as being deep in big men. That is one of the reasons the Cavs may be interested.

The team's second priority, it is believed, would be a point guard. There's a chance the team will be altering its backcourt before next season.

Historically, most picks are exchanged on draft night, especially if they are sold. Teams can pay up to $3 million for a pick and because of that rule, that is usually what the price for first rounders defaults to. Usually a team will target a player or two and then wait to see if he's available before attempting the trade, which is why these deals often happen at the last minute.

There is expected to be several picks sold this season because some teams are looking to preserve salary cap space they'd have to use on rookies while others are looking to help erase losses.

The Cavs have purchased second-round picks in each of the last two years. Those picks change hands with cash more often than first-round picks but the prices are going up. When they bought the draft rights to Sasha Kaun in 2008, it cost around $300,000. Last season the Cavs were outbid for a second-round pick by the Houston Rockets to the tune of $2.25 million. Already this week, the Portland Trail Blazers reportedly paid $2 million to move up 10 spots in the second round.

Nonetheless, with Gilbert's backing the Cavs will likely be aggressive in attempting to acquire at least one pick. While they are seldom impact players, there are prizes that come from the late first round and early in the second round. Five current Cavs were second-round draft picks and three others were taken with picks in the 20s.

Williams update: On Monday, Yahoo! Sports reported the Trail Blazers were interested in trading for Mo Williams. League sources have indicated the Cavs have tested the market but aren't committed to trading him. Williams' three years and $26 million left on his contract make him challenging to trade, however the Cavs aren't believed to be interested in moving Williams unless they can get comparable talent back in return.

If the Cavs trade a guard in the next several weeks, it will more likely be Delonte West, who has a contract that is only partially guaranteed for next season.

Frank Stallone
06-22-2010, 09:48 PM
It is borderline creepy that you and Raisen posted the SAME thing at the SAME time.

bigjmac0815
06-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Well looks like Mo will be staying unless we can steal another trade.

*L-Train*
06-22-2010, 09:54 PM
It is borderline creepy that you and Raisen posted the SAME thing at the SAME time.

actually what's creepier is that smooth has been beaten 2 times in the last 2 days at posting articles

ColumbusCavsfan
06-22-2010, 09:56 PM
I like it. I think a big guy like Daniel Orton could be helpful. Cavs need a bigman with some size.

PIP
06-22-2010, 09:59 PM
actually what's creepier is that smooth has been beaten 2 times in the last 2 days at posting articlesI wouldn't underestimate raisen... raisen is a beast when it comes to these articles....

He's like pre-mod Wuck....

Not to mention, his AVY captures Z's game just perfectly...

TheNewEra
06-22-2010, 09:59 PM
I like it. I think a big guy like Daniel Orton could be helpful. Cavs need a bigman with some size.

I'll pass on Orton, he could barely play on a college team and now were suspose to draft him and expect him to play in the NBA.

bigjmac0815
06-22-2010, 10:01 PM
His stock is dropping because he is out of shape and his nagging knee injuries

Triumph36
06-22-2010, 10:05 PM
lol "pondering." we should be offering cash to just about every team in the 20-40 range.

Silky Smooth
06-22-2010, 10:09 PM
I think buying Miami's pick is the most likely scenario. I hope we can get it. Orton, Whiteside and Seraphin could all be there at #18.

udilicious42584
06-22-2010, 10:52 PM
My optimism meter is down to about 5% right now.

A few weeks ago the Cavs were interested in making a trade for an impact player, and seeking to get a lottery pick.

Now the Cavs seem content with "pondering" the possibility of a late first round, or 2nd round pick and holding onto a defensive liability in the backcourt.

bigjmac0815
06-22-2010, 10:54 PM

A few weeks ago the Cavs were interested in making a trade for an impact player, and seeking to get a lottery pick.

Now the Cavs seem content with "pondering" the possibility of a late first round, or 2nd round pick and holding onto a defensive liability in the backcourt.

Maybe Windhorst is just keeping things quiet on something major about to happen

NarlCavs
06-22-2010, 10:54 PM
At best I think we're looking at the Cavs possibly getting a pick in 20's. It's tough to see being able to get higher than that. That range at least possibly gives them a shot at bigs like Seraphin, Orton, Whiteside, Brackins and Alabi if they're determined to go big.

We've been expecting them to get a 1st rounder for a few years now and it hasn't happened so it is still wait and see if they can actually pull it off. At a minimum I'd expect a 2nd rounder added Thursday night.

bob2the2nd
06-22-2010, 10:56 PM
you know whats worse is I beat both of these fuckers by a couple of minutes but put it in the DRAFT THREAD... you know where we talk about.. THE DRAFT..

screw you guys, im going home

warriorsz32
06-22-2010, 10:58 PM
I believe we will still make a big trade...Windhorst said Delonte will still likely be traded and we don't need a lottery pick for a bigman(it would be nice) but Whiteside and centers like that will still be left around the 20th pick. Late 1st round, Early 2nd.

Chris
06-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Good to know we're expanding team shops this offseason.

jnizzle
06-22-2010, 11:02 PM
HELL YEAH! 2011 NBA MUTHAFUCKIN FINALS HERE WE COME BABY!!

Absinthe
06-22-2010, 11:10 PM
I have no doubt in my mind that they want to get rid of Mo, but the only way they can do that is if they package him. I can't imagine many teams wanting his contract and he'll be immovable unless they can package him in a huge deal.

SanduskyCav
06-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Maybe Windhorst is just keeping things quiet on something major about to happen

Or maybe he just doesn't know anything. Thats how it's been for a while now. FINNAN FTW!!!!

Don't forget that we also thought we were very close to having Tom Izzo as our head coach...

King J
06-22-2010, 11:27 PM
I dont think we'll get a draft pick or make a big trade invoving Mo.:thumbdown

Andrew
06-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Just like every other draft, I go in with a giant WTF look on my face. I don't know any of the players unless they are of WOW caliber.

Smooth
06-22-2010, 11:37 PM
This is probably what's holding up us buying a pick:

So the Cavs continue to entertain multiple trade scenarios, mostly geared toward trying to maneuver into Thursday night’s draft, in which they currently have no picks. According to sources who have been in contract with Cleveland decision-makers, the Cavs have been exploring buying their way into the first round but have been turned off by the going rate for a late first-round pick – $3 million plus an asset. As of now, that price is too steep for Cleveland’s liking, and one of the sources expected the price only to rise between now and Thursday night.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/22736257

Matt S
06-22-2010, 11:43 PM

Do the Q's water fountains qualify as assets?

MoFlo
06-22-2010, 11:43 PM

I have no problems with us buying a pick, but definitely would not give up a big asset, if any, for a late 1st round pick.

Hydroponic3385
06-22-2010, 11:52 PM
I have no problems buying a pick

Of course you don't. Does anyone, besides possibly Dan Gilbert and his checkbook? :chuckles:

MoFlo
06-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Of course you don't. Does anyone, besides possibly Dan Gilbert and his checkbook? :chuckles:

:chuckles: Touche

Absinthe
06-23-2010, 12:41 AM
I don't really see how a late first round draft pick will benefit Cleveland. First of all, it's hard for me to imagine any rookie getting a lot of playing time looking at the roster. Secondly, I'd much rather see Cleveland pursue a vet instead of praying that a raw young talent pans out. I honestly think they're trying to get picks to throw in a major trade. A late first round pick would be a sweetener.

triplethreat23
06-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Shananigans. Admist weeks of talks about fireworks, looks like it's going to be a boring draft night for los Cavs.

Amherstcavsfan
06-23-2010, 12:44 AM
I just cannot believe this is true.

All the talk from people like Windy and W&G were that they were looking to make big moves and now, all of a sudden, they are only looking for safe moves?

I have a feeling in the next 48 hours we'll hear something brewing. Could be totally wrong, but I do not think I am.

Smooth
06-23-2010, 12:50 AM

All the talk from people like Windy and W&G were that they were looking to make big moves and now, all of a sudden, they are only looking for safe moves?

I have a feeling in the next 48 hours we'll hear something brewing. Could be totally wrong, but I do not think I am.

You forget this is Cleveland...

sailfish
06-23-2010, 07:13 AM

There are several things standing in the way from the Cavaliers making a big deal:

1. no head coach. Ideally, the Cavaliers would like to hire a head coach and get his input before any big changes are made to the roster.

2. uncertainty regarding LeBron James. What James does will dictate the direction of the roster and there isn't a good feel right now for what LeBron is going to do.

3. wanting to save trade chips. The Cavaliers would prefer to use their trade chips, such as Delonte West & Mo Williams, in a sign & trade for a big name player, such as Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, or Joe Johnson. Those are moves that would appease LeBron James. The Cavaliers are reticent to use those trade chips just yet.

4. While there have been some trade discussions regarding Mo Williams & Delonte West, there hasn't been any offers that have knocked their socks off as of yet.

Matt S
06-23-2010, 07:20 AM

Color me concerned. If one of the most aggressive owners in the league who's desperate to make changes isn't making any deals, there must really not be anything out there worth pursuing. Unless they've got something big lined up for free agency with the pieces they already have, I think our odds of keeping LeBron really take a hit if we don't do something big before July 1.

DougHeil
06-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Color me concerned. If one of the most aggressive owners in the league who's desperate to make changes isn't making any deals, there must really not be anything out there worth pursuing. Unless they've got something big lined up for free agency with the pieces they already have, I think our odds of keeping LeBron really take a hit if we don't do something big before July 1.

Or maybe the Cavs are keeping talks and ALL things close to the vest? Maybe Windy has NO idea at all about what is about to go down? We know damn well the Cavs know they have to do something. A second round pick is NOT doing something. It's simply the only thing the Cavs have put out there and the only thing the Cavs are willing to make public. It's interesting we haven't heard anything of what the Cavs may think about the potential top ten picks. Don't be surprised if we are seriously trying to obtain a top pick.

I'm sure a major deal is coming. I'd be shocked if nothing happens in the next week or so.

sailfish
06-23-2010, 07:34 AM
The Cavaliers are swinging for the fences- Chris Paul, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, you name it- in trade talks. Those type of deals are tough to pull off though and they may end up striking out.

kamoflage
06-23-2010, 07:52 AM
I don't really see how a late first round draft pick will benefit Cleveland. First of all, it's hard for me to imagine any rookie getting a lot of playing time looking at the roster. Secondly, I'd much rather see Cleveland pursue a vet instead of praying that a raw young talent pans out. I honestly think they're trying to get picks to throw in a major trade. A late first round pick would be a sweetener.

Your forgetting how awesome the Cavs track record is on finding diamonds in the rough - how could we not trade our starting, former all-star point guard for a chance at a late first rounder. We could get the next Christian Eyenga or Luke Jackson to stash away in Europe for 3 - 4 years - that would definitely be the splash LeBron is looking for - PUKE.

bigjmac0815
06-23-2010, 07:52 AM
You must be new to the Cavs organization. We have made 3 major steal trades since the 07-08 season. If we have done it 3 times, they can do it again

reverendvargo
06-23-2010, 08:18 AM
You must be new to the Cavs organization. We have made 3 major steal trades since the 07-08 season. If we have done it 3 times, they can do it again

I think you're forgetting that Danny Ferry made those trades. This is Grant's first year on the job as GM and I would be surprised if he could bamboozle some of the GMs out there like Ferry did.

bigjmac0815
06-23-2010, 08:21 AM
I think you're forgetting that Danny Ferry made those trades. This is Grant's first year on the job as GM and I would be surprised if he could bamboozle some of the GMs out there like Ferry did.

He was the assistant of Ferry, he had to learn something from him and get the connections too

Green Lantern
06-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Or maybe the Cavs are keeping talks and ALL things close to the vest? Maybe Windy has NO idea at all about what is about to go down? We know damn well the Cavs know they have to do something. A second round pick is NOT doing something. It's simply the only thing the Cavs have put out there and the only thing the Cavs are willing to make public. It's interesting we haven't heard anything of what the Cavs may think about the potential top ten picks. Don't be surprised if we are seriously trying to obtain a top pick.

I'm sure a major deal is coming. I'd be shocked if nothing happens in the next week or so.
The reality is ,it's difficult to get these things done..the Cavs haven't had a lot of success when they have had draft picks..and with all the talk about draft trades ,the more the talk ,the less that actually happens from what I've seen over the last few years..

bigjmac0815
06-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Lets re-draft Luke Jackson

Prime 1978
06-23-2010, 09:45 AM
He was the assistant of Ferry, he had to learn something from him and get the connections too

This thought of Ferry bamboozling teams is incorrect IMO. He gave up expiring contracts to take on long term deals from over priced veterans. i.e. Shaq, Mo, and Jamison. Those teams were just as happy to get rid of those contracts as we were for getting said player. Ferry's trades were more a testament of Gilbert's big pockets than Ferry's bamboozling of other GM's.

Add the Hughes deal and it was one bad contract for another. Just as much as we wanted to be rid of Hughes the Bulls wanted to be rid of Wallace.

In hindsight...if anyone was bamboozled it was Ferry. Again I'm saying in hindsight. I can't think of any of those trades that in the here and now we'd do all over again. Jamison, Mo, and Shaq's defensive liabilities were a huge reason for the loss against Boston. Those 3 starters were all products of these deals were Ferry supposedly bamboozled teams. Washington now has the 1st pick and cap space. Milwaukee has Brandon Jennings cap space and is probably the fastest improving team in the East, The Phoenix Suns rid themselves of Shaq, opened their offense again and was a rebound away from playing game 7 in LA with a chance to go to the finals.

MYoung23
06-23-2010, 09:54 AM

So the Cavs continue to entertain multiple trade scenarios, mostly geared toward trying to maneuver into Thursday night’s draft, in which they currently have no picks. According to sources who have been in contract with Cleveland decision-makers, the Cavs have been exploring buying their way into the first round but have been turned off by the going rate for a late first-round pick – $3 million plus an asset. As of now, that price is too steep for Cleveland’s liking, and one of the sources expected the price only to rise between now and Thursday night.

:confused:

Amherstcavsfan
06-23-2010, 09:55 AM

:confused:

Once again, I don't by this stuff.

Triumph36
06-23-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't really see how a late first round draft pick will benefit Cleveland. First of all, it's hard for me to imagine any rookie getting a lot of playing time looking at the roster. Secondly, I'd much rather see Cleveland pursue a vet instead of praying that a raw young talent pans out. I honestly think they're trying to get picks to throw in a major trade. A late first round pick would be a sweetener.Uh what? We have practically NO youth. Sending $3M or however much for a late 1st/early 2nd would be an easy way to add some youth without sending any assets. There is absolutely no reason NOT to do it unless teams really are demanding assets with cash for 1sts (I don't believe that story) and if that is the case, then we should just buy an early 2nd for $2-3M.

And a late 1st is not a very good "sweetener."

MJA1080
06-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Once again, I don't by this stuff.

Neither do I. Grant is just trying to get teams to lower their price. It can't go any higher than $3 million, so unless they demand an asset, we don't have to worry about them raising the price.

Jon
06-23-2010, 10:47 AM
An "asset" is likely a future #1 pick or a euro-stash player like Eyenga.

In the Cavs situation, I'd push real hard for a future #1 if I was the GM of another team; but once again we're stymied by LeBron. If he doesn't re-sign it would be a Stepienesque move to trade away a future #1.

lbusiness
06-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Pondering ,what ,what the hell is there to ponder,you have no young bigs,they need to stop bs'ing,ponder these nuts and go grab a lottery pick ,we need cousins,you feel me family!

Hydroponic3385
06-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Pondering ,what ,what the hell is there to ponder,you have no young bigs,they need to stop bs'ing,ponder these nuts and go grab a lottery pick ,we need cousins,you feel me family!

Yeah, why are they pondering? I mean if LBJ doesn't re-sign, and we give up a future #1 (which is very likely a high lottery pick if LBJ leaves) for some 1st round pick in the teens or 20s this year, who cares right? :rolleyes:

Ghost Writer
06-23-2010, 11:01 AM
We need a coach with some perspective before we do anything :mad: word!!

daddywags
06-23-2010, 11:23 AM
We can't give up a future number one pick at this point without knowing what LeBron is going to do unless we want to recreate the Wes Person situation from several years ago. Frankly, I wouldn't even give up a second round pick at this stage since it could end up being a fairly high/valuable one.

I think the reason teams are looking for max cash plus "an asset" for late first rounders is because more than one team (and probably more than a couple teams) are looking to buy. Seems like it's a sellers market, unfortunately. Personally, to me this has all the earmarks of a(nother) very disappointing week for Cavs fans.