PDA

View Full Version : Rondo, Celtics refuse to sweat Heat

Dfor3
07-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Didn't see a thread for it, if it's posted within another thread then lock it or whatever need be.

LAS VEGAS – The ink had yet to dry on the contracts of LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade before Las Vegas oddsmakers declared the Miami Heat the favorites to win the NBA’s 2011 championship.

Those oddsmakers apparently didn’t consult Rajon Rondo

Rajon Rondo still feels the sting of losing to the Lakers in the final game of the NBA Finals.

The Boston Celtics’ confident young point guard doesn’t see any reason why the Heat should be favored to reach the NBA Finals ahead of his own team.

“They should be good, but they ain’t done nothing yet,” Rondo said after a recent practice during Team USA’s minicamp. “They ain’t done nothing.”

Rondo has already won one championship with the Celtics and came within a game last season of beating the Los Angeles Lakers for another. With Boston’s core returning next season, Rondo expects the Celtics to return to the Finals if they can stay healthy. Whatever challenge the remade Heat pose, Rondo isn’t fretting it.

“What is there to be nervous for?” he said. “I’m worried about L.A. That’s the team we need to beat. Miami looks really good on paper, and I’m sure they’re going to be really good. But they still have to come together as a team. I’m not saying they won’t, but who knows if those guys can jell?
“Our biggest opponent each night is ourselves – that’s how I look at it. Not to be cocky or anything, but that’s how we honestly feel. We are the defending [Eastern] champs. Once the first game of the regular season starts, that’s irrelevant. But we are going to go into training camp looking to get back to the Finals and win it.”

Rondo was just 21 and in his second season in the league when the Celtics traded for Ray Allen(notes) and Kevin Garnett(notes) to form their Big Three lineup with Paul Pierce(notes). Allen has said it took nearly the entire season for the Celtics to truly come together. They won 66 games that season before winning the championship.

The Heat now hope to unite just as quickly as the Celtics did.

“It depends on those three guys [James, Wade and Bosh] in particular, how they accept their roles,” Rondo said. “Things aren’t going to go each guy’s particular way. It’s going to be about how they handle it as gentlemen.”

Rondo thinks the Celtics will benefit because the Heat now have the East’s largest target on them after all the offseason moves they made. Last season, all the pressure was on James and the Cleveland Cavaliers to win the East. The Celtics knocked them off in the second round en route to reaching the Finals.

“We didn’t have pressure on us last year,” Rondo said. “Everyone wrote us off last year. It’s going to be the same thing again. We only won, what, [50] games last year and we made it to the Finals.

“You have to be truthful with your team. Every team in the NBA can’t go in saying they’re going to win an NBA championship, but we honestly feel that way.”

The sting of losing last season’s championship after leading the Finals 3-2 – and leading Game 7 by 13 points in the second half – still hasn’t worn off for Rondo.

“It’s always going to be something that is going to stick in my memory,” Rondo said. “You can’t forget it unless you erase it with another ring.”

Rondo played nearly 4,000 minutes last season, including the playoffs, and he waited to see how his body felt before deciding whether to play for Team USA this summer. After USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo called two weeks ago, Rondo accepted the invite.

One reason Rondo decided to participate was that the U.S. had plenty of talented guards, which wouldn’t force him to play heavy minutes. In addition to Rondo, USA Basketball brought Chauncey Billups, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Tyreke Evans and Stephen Curry. While Billups is expected to start because of his experience, Rondo likely will be on the final roster and play a major role. Rondo’s previous international experience came when he played in the 2005 under-21 world championships.

“He’s a champion and really an ultimate competitor,” Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski said. “I love him. He’s just a guy who wants to win and he’ll do anything you want him to do to win.”

After the world championships end in September, Rondo won’t have much time to rest before the Celtics open training camp. With James and Bosh joining Wade in Miami, Las Vegas has already declared the Heat as the team to beat.

Rondo is looking forward to trying to prove otherwise.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-rondoteamusa072410

You don't expect any team to say they don't have a shot at beating them, but Rondo still thinks the Celtics are gonna win the whole thing :thumbup:

DougHeil
07-26-2010, 12:01 PM
I hope they do.

btw; any chance you change your username? Much appreciated.

Dfor3
07-26-2010, 12:18 PM
I hope they do.

btw; any chance you change your username? Much appreciated.

I put in a request thing to change it. Ben hasn't gotten to it, :(. It definetly needs a change though. Pronto.

slp447
07-26-2010, 12:27 PM
I used to hate the Celtics until they beat us in the playoffs. Now I have nothing but respect for them and the way that they play (in the playoffs, not the way they slack off in the regular season :chuckles:)

Dfor3
07-26-2010, 12:29 PM
I used to hate the Celtics until they beat us in the playoffs. Now I have nothing but respect for them and the way that they play (in the playoffs, not the way they slack off in the regular season :chuckles:)

Yeah, now that we aren't playing them, you gotta love how they always think (and say) they're the best team out there.

The Oi
07-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Sounds like some of the same shit teams were saying about the Celtics the pre-season before they started with the big three.

There's pretty much no chance this team doesn't win a championship within the next two years. Sorry peeps, but that's one of the best big threes of all time and they're going to absolutely dominate their way to a championship.

themike
07-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Sounds like some of the same shit teams were saying about the Celtics the pre-season before they started with the big three.

There's pretty much no chance this team doesn't win a championship within the next two years. Sorry peeps, but that's one of the best big threes of all time and they're going to absolutely dominate their way to a championship.

I think it's likely they win but not as definite as you make it seem. I don't think they'll win this year as a new team w/o a strong bench. I think they will be extremely good this year, and have a great chance, but I wouldn't put them as the favorites over LA (Kobe would love to end the comparisons between himself and Bron), or even a hot boston team.

After next year the lakers/celtics will be done, and then yeah it looks like MIA will roll. That is unless CP3, ironically following LBJ's advise, can teamup with his own super team (Paul/Melo/Amare in NY, or w/ Howard in ORL).

Cavatt
07-26-2010, 01:47 PM

I think you're right. The only question I have is their frontcourt. We know Z's limitations, and I have seen Bosh be shut down by Garnett, and even AV. They don't even need a pg. If their pg can play any defense they will be fine.

In my opinion Boston is the only team that can beat them. Maybe Orlando, but I think Rashard will be abused by Bosh.

PIP
07-26-2010, 01:49 PM
You guys are crazy if you don't think the Heat are going to win multiple titles (pending health of course)

LeBron James took a team to the finals that had such stiffs as Drew Gooden, Eric Snow, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Donyell Marshall as main rotational players... I'm sure the LeBron that did that with that same desire will pop up in Miami as opposed to the LeBron we recently saw...

LeBron doesn't need much.. He'll split leadership roles with Wade and will carry that team to multiple championships...

chiefwahoo
07-26-2010, 02:31 PM
You guys are crazy if you don't think the Heat are going to win multiple titles (pending health of course)

LeBron James took a team to the finals that had such stiffs as Drew Gooden, Eric Snow, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Donyell Marshall as main rotational players... I'm sure the LeBron that did that with that same desire will pop up in Miami as opposed to the LeBron we recently saw...

LeBron doesn't need much.. He'll split leadership roles with Wade and will RIDE that team to multiple championships...

Fixed :thumbup:

Prime 1978
07-26-2010, 02:52 PM
If the Heat don't win next year that will be the last good shot the league has at beating them. After an off-season with the MLE and BAE you'll be able to add some pretty good supporting pieces to a great nucleus (on of the best ever).

The only thing that will stop this team is a lockout...

sam_slam911
07-26-2010, 03:31 PM
There's no getting around it, this big 3 could be the most talented trio ever put together, with two of them not even in their primes yet. The Celtics big 3 were past their primes and not as talented as this 3 even when they were younger.

But I don't think you can guarantee they win a championship at all in the next couple years (or however long they stay together), there's one thing that can stand in their way, and that's Dwight Howard.

The Celtics were lucky enough to have the most effective young low post defender in the NBA at center, plus the fact that Dwight hadn't emerged as the dominant center he is now. Miami have Z starting next to Bosh, however talented they are on the perimeter that's just asking for Dwight to absolutely dominate them in the paint.

The Magic are the only thing stopping them getting out of the east the next few years, but they need Dwight to be a much more consistent offensive threat and they need a scoring wing player who is not Vince Carter.

But anyway, I'm not that worried about Miami winning it all next year even if they do get out of the east, it'll be Phil's last outing, and he's too smart just to let 3 players beat him this time around, plus at the rate they adding to their bench, they're filling out the few holes they had in the first place.

beefstew
07-26-2010, 03:50 PM
It's going to be great watching this "Big 3" try to stop Rondo's quickness and speed. :chuckles:

Heej
07-26-2010, 04:39 PM
There's no getting around it, this big 3 could be the most talented trio ever put together, with two of them not even in their primes yet. The Celtics big 3 were past their primes and not as talented as this 3 even when they were younger.

But I don't think you can guarantee they win a championship at all in the next couple years (or however long they stay together), there's one thing that can stand in their way, and that's Dwight Howard.

The Celtics were lucky enough to have the most effective young low post defender in the NBA at center, plus the fact that Dwight hadn't emerged as the dominant center he is now. Miami have Z starting next to Bosh, however talented they are on the perimeter that's just asking for Dwight to absolutely dominate them in the paint.

The Magic are the only thing stopping them getting out of the east the next few years, but they need Dwight to be a much more consistent offensive threat and they need a scoring wing player who is not Vince Carter.

But anyway, I'm not that worried about Miami winning it all next year even if they do get out of the east, it'll be Phil's last outing, and he's too smart just to let 3 players beat him this time around, plus at the rate they adding to their bench, they're filling out the few holes they had in the first place.

First of all Bird, McHale, and Parish would like to have a word with you.

And secondly, I feel so very bad for you if you're going to pin your hopes on Dwight Coward. Oh no, he's going to explode for a massive (by his standards) 26 points against them. What can the Heat possibly do to recover from such a masterful offensive onslaught? Get real please, Dwight Howard just flat out isn't good enough to go head to head with Lebron, Bosh, and Wade.

And to the guy above me who said the Heat won't be able to contain Rondo, I'm going to laugh heartily when Wade absolutely puts the clamps on that little Keebler elf looking faggot. I know it hurts to admit, but this odious team will dominate the NBA for the next couple years (until the Thunder mature and knock them off the throne :chuckles:).

There's no point for the Cavs to even try to contend now. Just suck it up for a few years, acquire as many assets as humanly possible and aim to win a couple years down the road. The only thing that can be done with this team running rampant in the league.

PistolPete
07-26-2010, 04:44 PM
I think it's delusional to think that the big 2 + bosh will fail but let's be honest about 2007 : the Cavs, as soon as they played a good team (the self-imploding pistons proved time and time again after their 2 finals that they were just a "we think we are better than we are" team), they got swept and Lebron had a pretty pathetic display (quite normal seeing his teammates and his inexperience).

Besides, I'm not sure the Heat won't need Spo to have to deal with his family to attain their goal...

ButterMPancakes
07-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Yeah, now that we aren't playing them, you gotta love how they always think (and say) they're the best team out there.

Any team or player in contention will say the same thing Rondo said... can you imagine him telling the news "Yeah, they're probably gonna beat us"?

futuristxen
07-27-2010, 12:51 AM
They match up pretty well with one another if KG is healthy. KG should be able to dominate Bosh, and the Heat have to figure out how they're going to stop Rondo, Pierce, Ray Allen--with only 2 really great defenders.

I think all of the games between the Heat, Lakers, and Magic are going to be good games. Which says a lot for how good the Cavs were last season since they competed and beat all of those teams in the regular season without having two other superstars.

InBoobieWeTrust
07-27-2010, 01:05 AM
They match up pretty well with one another if KG is healthy. KG should be able to dominate Bosh, and the Heat have to figure out how they're going to stop Rondo, Pierce, Ray Allen--with only 2 really great defenders.

I think all of the games between the Heat, Lakers, and Magic are going to be good games. Which says a lot for how good the Cavs were last season since they competed and beat all of those teams in the regular season without having two other superstars.

Stopping Pierce and Allen won't be too much for them. Ray Allen lost his legs and couldn't hit a shot from just guarding Kobe, Wade's a whole new monster. Before LeBron flipped on the quit switch he dominated Pierce and just the idea of having to guard those guys hurts their offensive game.

Realistically, the Celtics are just outclassed by the Heat and it will show if they meet in the playoffs.

Orlando and L.A. are the only teams that realistically next season could take down the Heat....Orlando is a dark-horse and would need a lot of luck and maybe even a few roster moves while L.A. has just as good of a shot as Miami does at winning the entire thing. Miami's only weakness right now is size up front(and Joel Anthony's signing helped them out a lot in that area, he's a stiff...but he's big and should be able to provide something defensively). L.A. still has a lot more muscle and bulk and skill down low.

Pioneer10
07-27-2010, 01:20 AM
I'd love for Portland to get Paul to see what they could do: Portland has the assets to get Paul and still keep guys like Aldridge/Roy

Paul, Roy, Batum, Aldridge, Oden would be tough for any team to beat event the Big 3. Plus Paul on Orlando would be pretty darn scary for any team as well particularly Miami who sucks at the 1 and 5.

The Lakers have also improved with Blake and who knows what Bynum can do if he ever stays healthy an entire year

Things change in the NBA rather quickly: imagine how different things would be Arenas didn't have that guy basically jump into his knee. He was a rock solid tough NBA player who used to play a huge amount of minutes and boom he became a has been quickly. It's definitely a great trio with possibly with two guys who'll likely finish as top 3 players at there respective positions (Lebron best at SF, Wade behind Jordan/Kobe at SG) and I'd definitely rather have there roster more then anybody but the Lakers right now but it's no guarantee. Particularly this year where I think you have to put the Lakers at the top particularly with the Blake signing. They have Artest/Kobe to throw at Lebron/Wade while they have Bosh, Haslem, and Anthony to throw at Gasol/Odom/Bynum: advantage LA till Kobe's wheels falls off.

futuristxen
07-27-2010, 06:29 AM
The only thing is, is that Ron Artest can't guard Lebron. I'm sure he thinks he can. But he's too slow and too weak. Lebron just either runs around him or through him. They'll need team defense to stop him, but that will be tough with all of the other options on the floor.

I think at the end of the day Lebron is too much for any team in the NBA to handle without playing their whole defense to him. Which you can't anymore. So I think the whole of the league is in for a bit of a demolition. I mean remember how unstoppable he looked running with Jamario Moon and Hickson last year with that small athletic lineup? Swap out Moon with Wade and Hickson with Bosh...yeah...scary.

Plus I think Wade and Lebron will switch off all game on Kobe, which should keep him quiet.

The Lakers matchup really comes down to Bynum and Gasol, as always. The Lakers win when those guys exert their will.