PDA

View Full Version : Please... No Weak Sauce in my bag

acook0718
10-18-2010, 07:01 PM
PDcavsinsider: #Cavs coach Byron Scott seems to be settling on starters of Mo Williams, Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon, J.J. Hickson & Anderson Varejao.

I cant understand starting parker on a team that wants to run and gun...

I would start Mo and Sessions and bring Booby and weak sauce one at a time off the bench if weak sauce remains on the team....

Anyone else have a preference besides the overall unanimous opinion that they should trade W.S. for a shake weight and a sham wow?

speedyd718
10-18-2010, 07:31 PM
cut weak sauce. let the young guys run. start mo and session, bring booby, manny, and eyenga

InBoobieWeTrust
10-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Mo and Sessions would provide some serious defensive problems. Sessions can't guard 2's like Delonte could.

acook0718
10-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Mo and Sessions would provide some serious defensive problems. Sessions can't guard 2's like Delonte could.

while I agree with the defensive assessment, I think this team will have to come out early and score and get some momentum. I think if this team goes down early they are screwed. I think starting sessions gives you the opportunity to use the early game adrenalin to score early and then bring parker off the bench when things initially slow down to play d. Hope rambling makes any sense

InBoobieWeTrust
10-18-2010, 07:49 PM
while I agree with the defensive assessment, I think this team will have to come out early and score and get some momentum. I think if this team goes down early they are screwed. I think starting sessions gives you the opportunity to use the early game adrenalin to score early and then bring parker off the bench when things initially slow down to play d. Hope rambling makes any sense

I think things generally work in the opposite way, you want to bring the spark off the bench with speed and energy and hustle(much like we've done with Andy for years) to kind of give your team a jolt or to hold a lead. Plus, you get to pair him with other teams second units. Sessions may be able to use his ability to exploit second units, while Parker's skill-set doesn't quite fit that mold.

slp447
10-18-2010, 08:04 PM
So, with Windy gone, who is now running the twitter moniker "PDcavsinsider"? Windy's updates were always quite trustworthy, but I don't know how much stock to put in these types of posts now...

theSTEREO.
10-18-2010, 08:28 PM
So, with Windy gone, who is now running the twitter moniker "PDcavsinsider"? Windy's updates were always quite trustworthy, but I don't know how much stock to put in these types of posts now...

It's Mary Schmitt Boyer

GregOdensKnees
10-18-2010, 08:41 PM
The Defense for Anthony Parker:

I want to point out that though he isn't the best player on the team by any means, AP started 81 games last year. He's a durable and unselfish player who usually looks to create shots for other people, which will come in handy with this team...I don't see JJ creating anything.

And just because he's starting doesn't mean he'll be receiving Starter minutes...I'm willing to bet we'll see Jamison and Sessions sitting at the scorer's table pretty early most games.

MYoung23
10-18-2010, 08:53 PM

And Parker cant guard most of the SGs in the league.

It is pointless for a rebuilding team to trot out a 35 year old SG.

InBoobieWeTrust
10-18-2010, 08:56 PM
And Parker cant guard most of the SGs in the league.

It is pointless for a rebuilding team to trot out a 35 year old SG.

Well, if that really is true, we don't have to worry about accidentally winning games because of stellar offensive play from our 2 guard spot. Which is perfect for a team who needs a high lotto pick :thumbup:

IWantAKouki
10-18-2010, 08:58 PM
I'd rather start Manny Harris.

Purple Vein
10-18-2010, 08:59 PM
PDcavsinsider: #Cavs coach Byron Scott seems to be settling on starters of Mo Williams, Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon, J.J. Hickson & Anderson Varejao.

I cant understand starting parker on a team that wants to run and gun...

I would start Mo and Sessions and bring Booby and weak sauce one at a time off the bench if weak sauce remains on the team....

Anyone else have a preference besides the overall unanimous opinion that they should trade W.S. for a shake weight and a sham wow?

The point for Parker to be with the startes is that he will lag behind and end up open for the three as the defense would collapse on the push. He is also there to then get back on transition D and stop a wing.

Boobie, Sessions, and Antawn will come off the bench to keep the defense honest hand give a littel change of pace.

I only see Hollins, Powe, and Graham getting situational playing time.

MYoung23
10-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Well, if that really is true, we don't have to worry about accidentally winning games because of stellar offensive play from our 2 guard spot. Which is perfect for a team who needs a high lotto pick :thumbup:

Dont lose old, lose with young guys.

cdt
10-18-2010, 09:03 PM
More like PDCavsOutsider

InBoobieWeTrust
10-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Dont lose old, lose with young guys.

I'd rather win 21 with old than 26 with young.

I say we just trade Mo Williams and start Sessions that way.

Cavatt
10-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Scott was talking about a 3 guard rotation, but if that is true, Boobie doesn't get to play at all. I just can't imagine Parker can run that long all year though, no matter how durable he is. He is going to get worn down in this offense unless he plays under 20 a night.

acook0718
10-18-2010, 09:22 PM
I think playing for the draft this year is pointless this year, no matter what anyone says this team is not winning 20 games, it will probably win 30-35, which puts us around pick 9. The difference between pick 9 and 14 is not a huge difference especially in a year where the draft is going to be weakened by the fear of the lock out by college underclassmen. Might as well go balls to the wall this year if only for this team and cities pride... I get the long term plan I really do, but I think trying to compete this year and potentially getting the 8 seed does more for this franchise and city then tanking to get the 8th pick.. just my opinion but i definitely respect all of yours also

IWantAKouki
10-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Maybe Scott saw something in the Sessions/Gibson backcourt that he liked?

That's one hell of a dynamic backcourt to bring off the bench, could be effective.

GregOdensKnees
10-18-2010, 11:35 PM
I think just about everyone here wants to trade AP, correct? One way of pumping his trade value is starting him.

If you were a GM, wouldn't you be more convinced to take a starting SG than the 7th man on the Cleveland Cavaliers bench?

Gibson and Sessions will get minutes. I can see Parker maybe getting the fewest of the guards but may play some minutes and the 3 spot behind Moon.

Pioneer10
10-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Blah I thought Parker was pretty much trash last year and I don't expect nearly as much from him this year. The only solace I have with this decision is we clearly aren't going balls out to win every game with him starting. Even that doesn't bring this Weak Sauce hater much satisfaction as I'd rather lose with Eyenga and Harris along with Boobie getting minutes.

chiefwahoo
10-18-2010, 11:48 PM
I know I'm stating the obvious here, but AP is just terrible. Sure, he's a great guy. But the fact that he is appearing in our starting lineup for the 2nd consecutive season shouldn't thrill anyone here. I came to understand yet never embrace his here role last year... but this year I'm definitely not feeling it.

I'd be all for showcasing the guy... but what exactly are we showcasing?

Jon
10-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Parker is the only SG on the roster ... at least with NBA experience. Deal!

KingDelonte13
10-19-2010, 08:57 AM
I just don't understand this. AP is not a terrible player by any means. He isn't flashy. But he is a very consistent shooter, has high bball IQ, and can defend.

udilicious42584
10-19-2010, 09:44 AM
I just wanted this season to be new and different from last season. Mo and AP were not the starting backcourt running duo I expected Byron Scott to shock the NBA world with. AP is not quick, and he does not finish well at the rim. AP's outside shooting has been pretty poor this preseason, so if that trend continues into the regular season we could already be handicaped offensively by having AP, Varejao and the mystery SF on the floor.

I'd be much more excited if Scott just went with the young crew we've been seeing so far. I love Harris, Sessions, Boobie, Hollins, Hickson, Samuels... Those guys have been fun to watch and have some great upside! Jamison and AP should be on the court for as little as possible.

Falb7
10-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Parker will contribute to the offense by doing what he does; he's going to be making a couple jumpers off curls a game and knocking down some open 3's. This was his game in Toronto and I have to assume he will return to that type of form, given a much different offense this season that we have. I don't understand why everyone hates a player that is going to play 20-25 minutes a game and do those said things. In the NBA it's all about who finishes games not who starts them anyway. AP will be a calming influence of a veteran for the young guys, and in all likelihood will not even be on the team beyond the middle of February.

MYoung23
10-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Anthony Parker is on a clear decline. He was declining in Toronto and continued in Cleveland. His defense was and is overrated and he doesn't have the athleticism anymore to guard very many starting SGs. I can make a case that due to where the Cavaliers are he shouldn't even be in the rotation. If you are going to have a placeholder starter who plays 15-20 minutes a game give those minutes to Eyenga or Manny Harris or both. That will serve the organization better than rolling out a 35 year old SG that can't run anymore. What team that claims they want to push the tempo starts a SG that can't run? When Byron Scott was hired he was asked why didn't he run more in New Orleans and he replied that he didn't have athletic enough wings. But yet, Parker who is slated to start, is arguably less athletic than any of the starting wings Scott had in New Orleans.

As far as Parker's value he doesn't have much beyond his ending contract. Any team that trades for him isn't going to start him but rather play him in a bench role. So if the Cavaliers do insist on playing him all he has to show that he can still make a shot and not have complete cement legs on defense.

Jon
10-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Parker knows how to play in the league, those other two guys don't.

We either need to be patient and let someone push Parker aside, or we need to go out and get a trade done ASAP.

WhoWeAre
10-19-2010, 12:37 PM
I know I'm stating the obvious here, but AP is just terrible. Sure, he's a great guy. But the fact that he is appearing in our starting lineup for the 2nd consecutive season shouldn't thrill anyone here. I came to understand yet never embrace his here role last year... but this year I'm definitely not feeling it.

I'd be all for showcasing the guy... but what exactly are we showcasing?

You're right...because burying him on the bench is certainly going to help his trade value. But I'm sure you know more than Byron...:rolleyes:

Not to mention, Byron made it clear that no starters are going to play big minutes -- so it's not like he's going to hurt the development of other players.

nime
10-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Is Eyenga the future SF for this team?

Forget weak sauce. Get rid of Graham. The fact he can't beat out Moon or Parker for a starting spot solidifies his release imo.

WhoWeAre
10-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Is Eyenga the future SF for this team?

Forget weak sauce. Get rid of Graham. The fact he can't beat out Moon or Parker for a starting spot solidies his release imo.

What the hell are you talking about?

Don't you think that if there was a trade available for Parker that we would have pulled the trigger by now?

DraftPick
10-19-2010, 12:56 PM
I feel like Byron is trying to keep things kind of the same as last year so the transition can be smoother. I'll be willing to bet that before the All-Star break, AP will be coming off the bench. And don't be surprised if Harris starts at some point. That guy can defend.

Lumthemad
10-19-2010, 01:00 PM
I think he's giving a hard-working vet the first shot to get it done. It won't last and if it does, it will benefit the Cavaliers when they look to move Parker. AP isn't a bad player so it shouldn't hurt us other than in the player development area with Manny or Sessions. In my estimation, the experiment will last less than 20 games OR if AP plays well, it is because Coach Scott isn't like Brown and will play him a lot less.

Jon
10-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Forget weak sauce. Get rid of Graham. The fact he can't beat out Moon or Parker for a starting spot solidifies his release imo.

That's a definite possibility if we see some players get released or become available who can actually play SG in the league.

gregdawg
10-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Parker just needs to be off the team. He brings nothing good to the table. I'd love if we could start Manny Harris at SG.

starting lineup of

Mo Williams
Manny Harris
Jamario Moon
JJ Hickson
Andy (or Hollins) whoever is performing better.

that would be a very athletic lineup - we could match up with a lot of good teams using that lineup. Who cares if Manny is young...throw him in there and let him learn through experience. the more he plays, the quicker he will learn and by the end of the season he will have a lot of experience. giving Parker minutes just slows the team down - his skills are limited... he has no quickness and no vertical leap. Byron Scott's offense requires both guards to be versatile guys who can drive the ball and create on offense. Parker has no dribble/drive game.

Giving Parker minutes just slows the progression of younger players who need those precious minutes to develop. it's time to get away from the Mike Brown method of ignoring young players and never letting them develop. there's really no practical reason to use Parker at all.

the same can be said for Jamison. although it seems like Byron Scott has already made the correct choice and decided to start JJ. He should use that same logic in regards to the SG spot.

Jon
10-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Professional Coaches care. Get used to it.

JAY1977
10-19-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't understand all the criticism of "Weak sauce" ( where the hell did that nickname come from?). The reason he has the starting role is because of the defense he provides at the position and decent shooting percentages. He has an expiring contract and it is vital to show his worth and showcase him. I want Harris at the position myself but I am sure he will see some minutes. Coming off the bench should help relieve some of the pressure on the rookie and if he plays well I doubt he would be pulled out of the game.

NarlCavs
10-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Parker is a smart, solid, yet aging role player who will do what's asked of him and not make dumb mistakes. He is what he is at this point and there should be reasonable expectations of him and for what he can produce. Guy is no star but I don't get the hate for him. Flashy doesn't always equal good or what the team needs and wants out of you.

Ideally at this point Parker is a backup on a playoff team but he can at least provide a steady hand and some veteran guidance for a younger rebuilding team. He shouldn't play major minutes but I don't see a major problem if he plays about 20 minutes a night. Of course later in the season he's a prime candidate to be traded.

It should say a little something that 2 different coaches now have decided they want Parker to start at SG.

Pioneer10
10-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Parker is a smart, solid, yet aging role player who will do what's asked of him and not make dumb mistakes. He is what he is at this point and there should be reasonable expectations of him and for what he can produce. Guy is no star but I don't get the hate for him. Flashy doesn't always equal good or what the team needs and wants out of you.

Ideally at this point Parker is a backup on a playoff team but he can at least provide a steady hand and some veteran guidance for a younger rebuilding team. He shouldn't play major minutes but I don't see a major problem if he plays about 20 minutes a night. Of course later in the season he's a prime candidate to be traded.

It should say a little something that 2 different coaches now have decided they want Parker to start at SG.

Frankly I have the complete opposite reaction. I'm baffled for how much support the guy gets: it seems if anyone brings up well Parker sucks then immediately the well he's a nice guy, good teammate crew comes and acts as if someone spat on there sister. Parker had a PER of 9.9 LAST year when he was happened to play next to Lebron and was one of the most overrated defenders in this forum. This wasn't an aberration either his PER the year before was a whopping 12.9 on a team that will be more like this year's Cavs team. This team is going to need production this year and not a glorified David Wesley taking up space. He can be just as good of a teammate while he is on the bench

Jon
10-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Why are you looking at PER for a player like Parker? We didn't ask him to stuff the stat sheet, we asked him to play D, hit open shots, and help facilitate the offense. He did those things better than any of our other SGs last season - even though most of the roster had a higher PER.

This season is another matter, and we do need to raise our level of play at the SG & SF spots and get more production from either or both spots, but that doesn't mean we have anything better on the current roster. Parker is the type of player who can step back, do a professional job, and cause little harm. That's actually preferable to sending a player out there who may not compliment the other players in the group as well, or who's going to sabotage the unit by trying to do to much, or by not defending his position, etc.

In effect this is like starting Snow or Hughes at PG, and then bringing Gibson off the bench. When we'd do that, it took a lot of the pressure off of Gibson and allowed him to blossom playing against guys closer to his level. Or to look at it yet another way ... how high of a bar is beating out Anthony Parker for the starting SG spot? You'd think if any of our guys are up to it, they should be able to get the job done.

Falb7
10-19-2010, 05:19 PM
At the snap of a finger it would be tremendous if the Cavaliers could add a better starting caliber shooting guard in the lineup, but we can't right now. Gibson isn't a starting caliber 2 guard, and nor is Ramon Sessions. It just can't be done overnight.

AP is a stopgap shooting guard who will not be here beyond this year, and probably not beyond the trade deadline. Until we acquire a young shooting guard or 2 of the future via trade or draft, Parker is probably the best option at this time to throw out there, as of October 27th, 2010. I think we all know this will change in time and certainly when the 2011-2012 season commences we'll have a much better idea of who we're moving forward with into our next playoff run - WHENEVER that may be. :uhh:

Gordon Bombay
10-19-2010, 05:37 PM
just counting down the days until i no longer i have to see jamison and parker on the team. great guys for sure, but rebuilding teams don't need 35 year olds taking minutes away from 21-24 year olds

IWantAKouki
10-19-2010, 05:39 PM
What the hell are you talking about?

Don't you think that if there was a trade available for Parker that we would have pulled the trigger by now?

No....his trade value is going to be much higher right before the all-star break.

At the snap of a finger it would be tremendous if the Cavaliers could add a better starting caliber shooting guard in the lineup, but we can't right now. Gibson isn't a starting caliber 2 guard, and nor is Ramon Sessions. It just can't be done overnight.

AP is a stopgap shooting guard who will not be here beyond this year, and probably not beyond the trade deadline. Until we acquire a young shooting guard or 2 of the future via trade or draft, Parker is probably the best option at this time to throw out there, as of October 27th, 2010. I think we all know this will change in time and certainly when the 2011-2012 season commences we'll have a much better idea of who we're moving forward with into our next playoff run - WHENEVER that may be. :uhh:This is exactly it. Parker is now a short term piece to fill a role until either another piece is brought in, or a current Cavalier step up and show he is ready. Eyenga is waaaaaay to green, whilst Manny Harris and Danny Green are yet to solidify a spot on the roster let alone be a starting or rotation player. Give those players time which doesn't mean neccessarily immediate minutes.

So until that magical two man arrives or develops, Parker will fill a void, pluggling away without going outside the system. That is something you can rely Parker upon, the others, not so much.....yet.

Just as I thought, Parker playing some minutes at the three to allow Gibson and Sessions extended minutes from the bench.

acook0718
10-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Hey Ill give weak sauce credit, he played well tonight, I think we are finding out that a lot of these guys may be more versatile than we all think because of the way their games were effected by "the chosen 1/3"

KilgoreTrout
10-19-2010, 11:18 PM
cdt - who's that babe? She's scrumptious.

ImWithDan
10-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else laugh every time they come to the forum and read the headline of this thread?

For one reason or another the phrase "Please... no weak sauce in my bag" makes me laugh my *** off.

Especially when I think about who it's in reference to.

Vlad
10-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Weak Sauce gets an upgrade to Mild after last night's game.

Noonan
10-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Don't let one game fool you. He's still Weak Sauce.

acook0718
10-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Mild Sauce with 10 at the half... did he score 10 pts last year?

JDeezy
10-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Weak sauce is not the weakest sauce.

This thread has become suspiciously quiet.

BuddyCowley
10-22-2010, 08:40 AM
This thread has become suspiciously quiet.

Well, that's what happens when the NBA2K10 crowd is shown that youth, speed, and athleticism isn't always what gets it done in the NBA.

Parker is not going to score like this all the time, but he's capable of it. As has been stated repeatedly, his intangibles are a lot more important than any other facet of his game.

With a new offense predicated on movement, Parker is exactly the guy the team needs out there as a leader and a facilitator. His ability to hit the 3 doesn't really hurt either.

Don't worry though, once he has a bad game (which means he'll not score a lot, regardless of whatever else he does) the haters will be right back here bitching about how he's "holding players back" like Eyenga or Harris (see how stupid that sounds?).

GregOdensKnees
10-27-2010, 09:46 PM
bump for the haters.

All it takes is one look at our team after the whistle blows to see why AP is still in the starting lineup: He's a leader.

In the post L______ era, we need leaders, and AP is one of the few guys on this team who seems to be stepping into that role.