PDA

View Full Version : Call Eyenga up

bigjmac0815
01-01-2011, 02:33 PM
He's been playing great since going down to the D-League averaging 17 pts, 7 reb, 2 stls, and 1 blk per game the last 3 games. We are officially in rebuild mode and I think you should start giving the younger players (Harris, Samuels, Gee) and Eyenga more minutes to see what they have on the NBA level.

Also cut Joey Graham, and bring up Tasmin Mitchell.....he had a 20 pt/12 reb performance and could be another one of the young talents we have for the future of the organization

bluedevils23
01-01-2011, 02:38 PM
i really like this idea! what could it hurt giving our young players the chance to get some time in this season?

I.K.W.T
01-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Because he had one good game? wait until he does that consistently, then think about calling him up. He's not ready.

RonG
01-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Yea it can hurt, let them play at a competitive level let him learn the game for Christ's sake. Bringing him up could very easily do more damage than good.

DELONTEizDad
01-01-2011, 03:03 PM
I like the thought of bringing in Taz and getting rid of useless players like Graham and Moon.... give Eyenga until the all-star break or so though down in the NBDL.

(Then go ahead and trade Tawn and Parker also for whatever you can get and really let the kids run and play.)

gregdawg
01-01-2011, 03:05 PM
D-league performance don't mean crap...Jawad was dominant in the D-league...we all saw how that translated to the NBA.

theSTEREO.
01-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Believe it or not, the people running the Cavs are basketball professionals by trade and probably have a good idea why they are keeping Eyenga down there no matter how well he's playing. He is obviously learning and progressing

Marcus
01-01-2011, 03:08 PM
He's getting better but he's still learning. Let him stay down there for awhile longer, and bring him in once we've traded away some of the older guys on the team to give the younger guys a chance to play and grow together.

Jon
01-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Since when did playing a bunch of D-leaguers count as developing young talent? If Cavs fans wanted to see D-leaguers play, they'd drive over to Erie - at least that way they could enjoy some wins. It's typically a long road from raw prospect or D-leaguer to the NBA. Even a string of good games at the pro-level doesn't mean anything as Sundiata Gaines has demonstrated.

Rist77
01-01-2011, 04:21 PM
In Erie, Eyenga is one of the main focal points of the team, if he makes mistakes, he still plays and the coaches try to help him with what he needs to work on. It has been said several times that Christian needs to work on his defense and also knowing where to be on the court and how to properly space himself in an offense. If he was making those kinds of mistakes with the Cavs, Byron Scott wouldn't play him very much and he would get lost in the shuffle very easily because a player with solid role-player potential would not be our top priority. At Erie, he is the top priority so he can make mistakes, keep playing heavy minutes and learn what he has to do to become and all around better basketball player. This is so he can hopefully contribute to the Cavs as solid role player or even very good role player someday. This is why he should stay in Erie, basically because right now that is where he will get the most minutes.

PIP
01-01-2011, 04:40 PM
If we wanted to watch a D-League All Star type of talent we could just trot JJ out there for 48 minutes a night.....

The Oi
01-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Darnell Jackson once but up a 40-40-40 game in the d-league...

dano_24_26
01-01-2011, 05:05 PM
He's been playing great since going down to the D-League averaging 17 pts, 7 reb, 2 stls, and 1 blk per game the last 3 games. We are officially in rebuild mode and I think you should start giving the younger players (Harris, Samuels, Gee) and Eyenga more minutes to see what they have on the NBA level.

Also cut Joey Graham, and bring up Tasmin Mitchell.....he had a 20 pt/12 reb performance and could be another one of the young talents we have for the future of the organization

Nice, Tasmin Mitchell is in our future plans...great.

bigjmac0815
01-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Since when did playing a bunch of D-leaguers count as developing young talent? If Cavs fans wanted to see D-leaguers play, they'd drive over to Erie - at least that way they could enjoy some wins. It's typically a long road from raw prospect or D-leaguer to the NBA. Even a string of good games at the pro-level doesn't mean anything as Sundiata Gaines has demonstrated.

When 2 of the D-Leaguers are down there for developing their NBA game to be the future of the Cavs (Eyenga and Samuels).....it is developing young talent

Soda
01-01-2011, 06:13 PM
It would be awesome if we could figure out how to really utilize the D-League for purposes of grooming. The NBA is littered with star power type stuff and I feel like it would be very good for the league to have a healthy minor league system. The Spurs are the poster children for grooming players, but it is overseas. I hope we're next at doing that well.

DELONTEizDad
01-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Believe it or not, the people running the Cavs are basketball professionals by trade and probably have a good idea why they are keeping Eyenga down there no matter how well he's playing. He is obviously learning and progressing

Eh, you're getting a lot of support but if the "basketball professionals" are the end-all be-all and have a "good idea" for every move they make why even have forums for discussion in the first place? By your reasoning we should go along with every move they make due to it being their "trade" and not ours. (quotes for quoting purposes, not for snark- just read it and it seemed to come off wrong.)

Not trying to pick a fight but I do not agree with that line of thinking and think you're just being kind of a dick and not really promoting discussion.

Normally I wouldn't say anything but I expect more out of this forum and the posters here.

I don't think what he brought up was so ridiculous and the fact that you received the amount of "Thank You"s you have, and where they came from, was upsetting- well not really but about as much as I can get worked up about the actions on an internet messageboard- as (like I previously stated) I expect more out of the denizens of this board and it's more seasoned and senior members.

Hopefully that came off as I hoped and I made my point somewhat clearly. Happy New Year to everyone here at RCF.

Pioneer10
01-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Eyenga's probably still a bit too consistent to call up just yet. He's had a 10 point less then stellar performance in a blowout loss sandwiched between what were the best 2 games of his career: a 21 and a 20 point performance where he was the leading scorer. Regardless of when he get's called up, I'm happy with his progress. It's only the D-league sure but at least we seem to be able to say that Eyenga is a legitimate prospect. Next year if things go our way we may end up being able picking up two lottery worthy talents (one via the lottery and the other Eyenga).

In addition, the advantage to the D-league as has been mentioned already is that it gives Eyenga guaranteed minutes where he is the focal point on offense. He barely played last year so I consider this a college ball experience for the kid

Wulfgar1224
01-01-2011, 09:44 PM
The fact is that Eyenga isn't a very good basketball player. Yes, he is a physical marvel. But, the NBA is for the elite of the elite in terms of basketball players. It takes more than raw athleticism to make it. As big of a project as Eyenga is and as raw as he is, the likelihood is that he won't amount to anything in the league. He has a long, long way to go.

01-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Eyenga's probably still a bit too consistent to call up just yet. He's had a 10 point less then stellar performance in a blowout loss sandwiched between what were the best 2 games of his career: a 21 and a 20 point performance where he was the leading scorer. Regardless of when he get's called up, I'm happy with his progress. It's only the D-league sure but at least we seem to be able to say that Eyenga is a legitimate prospect. Next year if things go our way we may end up being able picking up two lottery worthy talents (one via the lottery and the other Eyenga).

In addition, the advantage to the D-league as has been mentioned already is that it gives Eyenga guaranteed minutes where he is the focal point on offense. He barely played last year so I consider this a college ball experience for the kid

The only argument I have with the people who say he's only averaging 12 ppg in the d-league yet he is the focal point on the offense is that he's really not the focal point. In the 15 games he's played in down there he has led the team in shots just twice, yet he's shooting 53% from the field. If anything they need to make him more of a focal point on offense.

Pioneer10
01-02-2011, 12:03 AM
The only argument I have with the people who say he's only averaging 12 ppg in the d-league yet he is the focal point on the offense is that he's really not the focal point. In the 15 games he's played in down there he has led the team in shots just twice, yet he's shooting 53% from the field. If anything they need to make him more of a focal point on offense.

True the phrasing should have been one of the focal points rather then the focal point.

Rist77
01-02-2011, 12:27 AM

Erie is ours' and Toronto's minor league team, so if either us or them have a player drafted in the 1st round or sometimes even the 2nd round and are signed to an NBA contract, they will be the focal point of the team and of the coaches because they are aware of the situation. Christian is not the focal point of the offense, but he is definetely one of the top priorities of the coaches and of the team, along with Samardo when he was there and also with a few of Toronto's players that are signed to NBA contracts. Being the #1 option of offense isn't really Eyenga's game and actually not even the reason he is in Erie at all. It's more about learning defense and learning where to be on the court at all times, offense and defense, just basically learning the game. If offense was his problem, I bet he would be on the Cavs right now and probably even playing, we play players such as Gee, Jawad, and Moon, all guys who have very limited to no offensive game, so it goes much deeper than that with Christian. Partly beacuse he is so young, partly beacuse he has limited basketball experience.

Byron Scott says he is progressing like he expects, so I am happy with that, and I'm fairly certain he's not talking about offense and PPG. No reasonable Cavs fan should expect him to be anything more than a freakishly athletic role-player, he is not going to be putting up 20 ppg in the NBA or anything like that. But in order to become that valuable role player, he needs to learn the game. I'm sure the coaches are helping him with that more than they are say, helping Nate Lindhart with his overall game, because Christian Eyenga is signed to an NBA contract and is one of the top priorities of the team and of the coaches, along with a few Raptors players. That is making sure he is defending correctly and in the right spots as far as spacing goes along with other things, not making him the focal point of the offense and trying to get him 20 a game.

01-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Erie is ours' and Toronto's minor league team, so if either us or them have a player drafted in the 1st round or sometimes even the 2nd round and are signed to an NBA contract, they will be the focal point of the team and of the coaches because they are aware of the situation. Christian is not the focal point of the offense, but he is definetely one of the top priorities of the coaches and of the team, along with Samardo when he was there and also with a few of Toronto's players that are signed to NBA contracts. Being the #1 option of offense isn't really Eyenga's game and actually not even the reason he is in Erie at all. It's more about learning defense and learning where to be on the court at all times, offense and defense, just basically learning the game. If offense was his problem, I bet he would be on the Cavs right now and probably even playing, we play players such as Gee, Jawad, and Moon, all guys who have very limited to no offensive game, so it goes much deeper than that with Christian. Partly beacuse he is so young, partly beacuse he has limited basketball experience.

Byron Scott says he is progressing like he expects, so I am happy with that, and I'm fairly certain he's not talking about offense and PPG. No reasonable Cavs fan should expect him to be anything more than a freakishly athletic role-player, he is not going to be putting up 20 ppg in the NBA or anything like that. But in order to become that valuable role player, he needs to learn the game. I'm sure the coaches are helping him with that more than they are say, helping Nate Lindhart with his overall game, because Christian Eyenga is signed to an NBA contract and is one of the top priorities of the team and of the coaches, along with a few Raptors players. That is making sure he is defending correctly and in the right spots as far as spacing goes along with other things, not making him the focal point of the offense and trying to get him 20 a game.

Eyenga is the only player from the Cavs or Raptors on the Bayhawks roster and besides for Samuels 2 game stint and a mini stint for Solomon Alabi and Ed Davis weeks ago it's been that way for most of the year. He's only 5th in minutes played on the season. They need to make him more of a priority and give him more minutes at the very least so he can improve on his defense.

Jon
01-02-2011, 04:18 AM
Eh, you're getting a lot of support but if the "basketball professionals" are the end-all be-all and have a "good idea" for every move they make why even have forums for discussion in the first place? By your reasoning we should go along with every move they make due to it being their "trade" and not ours. (quotes for quoting purposes, not for snark- just read it and it seemed to come off wrong.)

There are plenty of message boards (like CavsFanatic) that cater to the fan who thinks he's smarter than the coach or the GM, because some idea popped in to his head, but that kind of crap is just verbal diarrhea *UNLESS* accompanied by some sort of a new insight, observation, or take. Some fans do have an eye for actual talent, and if they think a Dleaguer may be ready for the pros, that's fine, but those fans have also proven themselves by making astute observations and predictions. As the collective basketball IQ of this board continues to drop, the patience for this type of thread goes down. Our coaches know what they're asking these guys to do and how well they're doing it - both in game situations and in practice. Have some faith? Heck, in this last game we saw JJ and Manny take some positive steps.

On the other hand a tracking thread for how our players (or other prospects) are doing in the DLeague is perfectly appropriate and a service to the board; but let's not get carried away. Heck, I saw Luke Jackson lighting up the Dleague today on NBATV (in a close loss). Just rattling off box score stats doesn't tell anyone that Christian is ready, you have to really know the game and what the players are being asked to do to judge talent.

IMO, a player who's truly ready to make the next step will beat down the door. They don't have to be coddled or gifted anything. Otherwise we're just talking about developing another role player and I don't see any reason to rush that. It's not like we still need guys to fill special purposes in our rotation ... we need talent. First round talent. Most of these guys probably won't be on the team in the long term.

*L-Train*
01-02-2011, 04:55 PM
ABJCavsInsider

#Cavs recalling Christian Eyenga before game tonight

:thumbup:

catfish
01-02-2011, 05:41 PM
CLEVELAND, OH - January 2, 2011 - The Cleveland Cavaliers have recalled guard/forward Christian Eyanga from the Erie BayHawks of the NBA Development League, Cavaliers General Manager Chris Grant announced today.

Eyenga was assigned to Erie on Nov. 18 and played in 15 games (13 starts) with the BayHawks, averaging 12.3 points on .531 shooting, 4.7 rebounds, 1.0 assist and 1.0 block in 26.0 minutes per game. Over his last three games with the BayHawks, he averaged 17.0 points on .537 shooting, 7.3 rebounds and 1.7 steals in 31.7 minutes per game.

The BayHawks are the D-League affiliate of the Cavaliers and the Toronto Raptors.

bigjmac0815
01-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Wonder if he plays tonight.......thank you Grant for calling him up

catfish
01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
It does seem like this team is already being turned over before our eyes. J moon needs to be inactivated.

MJA1080
01-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Daniel Gibson out for #Cavs, they just announced. And Christian Eyenga will see some playing time tonight, BScott said pre-game.

This should be good. I hope he does well

We want Mbenga
01-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Yeah, watch Eyenga be a total beast. I want to see him, Samuels, Gee, and Harris in at the same time lol.

Maximus
01-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Yeah, watch Eyenga be a total beast. I want to see him, Samuels, Gee, and Harris in at the same time lol.

:chuckles:

Backstage
01-02-2011, 07:09 PM

Yeah! While we're at it, let's call up Tasmin Mitchell and....um...

Hold on. Need to hit up Google real quick...

...One second. Clicky clicky here...

Doo dee doo...

And Kyle Goldcamp! He's tall!

wuck
01-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Read in its entirety, this thread is pretty funny now. :chuckles:

Czvosec
01-02-2011, 08:40 PM
NEED to teach this kid how to play basketball... he's got ridiculous athleticism.

IWantAKouki
01-02-2011, 09:22 PM
ACK I missed the parts in the game where he played. I saw the dunk but what else did he do?

We want Mbenga
01-02-2011, 09:29 PM
ACK I missed the parts in the game where he played. I saw the dunk but what else did he do?

He missed a few open 3s, and didnt know what to do on defense. His offense looked fine, aside from the fact that he wasnt making shots, but nobody on our team was except Jamison and Sessions. He just looked so lost out there on defense though.

Gunther
01-02-2011, 09:34 PM
He looked lost on defense at first, but I thought he came around and was playing some OK perimeter D once he got in to the flow. What impressed me tonight was the same thing that impressed me when I saw him in the Vegas Summer Leagues: His athleticism. He's just a crazy fast, quick, high-jumping maniac. So he can run the floor with the best in the league. I also think Coach could easily run some back door ally oop plays for him

Bad points? He shot a lot of threes and didn't look so hot doing so. His floor spacing isn't the best, but I think that is something he can improve on in time. And he just needs time to acclimate to the NBA game.

I'd like to see more, no doubt about it. We aren't going anywhere this season, and he's only 21 years old. Give him some minutes and let's see what he can do.

Renodeluxe
01-02-2011, 09:35 PM
He missed a few open 3s, and didnt know what to do on defense. His offense looked fine, aside from the fact that he wasnt making shots, but nobody on our team was except Jamison and Sessions. He just looked so lost out there on defense though.

His defense looked much better than his offense. Besides the fast break dunk, all he did was stand around the 3 pt line. Zero movement . BUST !

DougHeil
01-02-2011, 09:38 PM
His defense looked much better than his offense. Besides the fast break dunk, all he did was stand around the 3 pt line. Zero movement . BUST !

You are calling a 21 year old baby a bust? This kid just played in his very first NBA game and you say bust? You Sir haven't a clue.

wuck
01-02-2011, 09:46 PM
I agree that his perimeter defense looked pretty good as he got more minutes, especially at the end of the 3rd quarter. Looked promising. Lost at first, then did more of what he was supposed to do.

Wouldn't be surprised if he got sent back to Erie once Gibson returns. It will be too hard to give him minutes once the team is healthy again.

Cavs_Dynasty
01-02-2011, 09:59 PM
I liked his athleticism like most people have mentioned but that line-up towards the end of the 3rd and start of the 4th had no offensive firepower apart from Jamison in the 3rd so I don't think we can expect some great offensive play when the other guys around him look lost too.

CavsFanJapan
01-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Same thing in the D-league, he looked lost on defense at times. I think he stayed out at the 3 point line because he does not know the offense. He actually has developed a good stroke from 3 point range as I have watch him on Futurecast games in Erie and he will get better at it. It will help him open up his game. He is working hard on defense though and that is really good. His quickness can minimize some mistakes but at this level, lets hope he doesn't make too many of those.

Pioneer10
01-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Just like the fact that every report seems to say he's a hard worker. Glad to see some of that translating already. Not only is the kid 21, he didn't start playing till he was a teenager. I'm hoping he's got an Hakeem like streak in him: African player who worked hard and had a peak which was later then normal.

The Oi
01-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Every time I read about this kid or picture his game, I'm thinking of Mikael Pietrus. Is this about right?

tedginnjr
01-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Every time I read about this kid or picture his game, I'm thinking of Mikael Pietrus. Is this about right?

He's like a Pietrus that can't shoot... and doesn't really have any basketball skills...

The Oi
01-02-2011, 11:22 PM
He's like a Pietrus that can't shoot... and doesn't really have any basketball skills...

tedginnjr
01-02-2011, 11:23 PM

In all seriousness, he has the athleticism to defend and finish at the rim. But he can't handle the ball whatsoever. If he ever develops a consistent 3 point shot then he can eventually be a decent rotational player. As is, he's completely lost on offense...

OptimusPrime
01-02-2011, 11:27 PM

In other words, he is a shorter, faster Ryan Hollins.

Maximus
01-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Pip and I are pounding some red wine right now. We are really pissed that Scott benched "Lebron 2.0" after that dunk. He was just about to take over....complete bullshit.

The Oi
01-02-2011, 11:31 PM
In other words, he is a shorter, faster Ryan Hollins.

Better comparison might be a taller, less-skilled Harold Miner.

PIP
01-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Every time I read about this kid or picture his game, I'm thinking of Mikael Pietrus. Is this about right?Think tall, skinny, wirey, black fella...

Just like Kinsey.

OptimusPrime
01-02-2011, 11:36 PM
I think I'll stick with the Hollins comparison. Jumping is the only thing either of them do at an NBA level.

The Oi
01-02-2011, 11:38 PM
I think I'll stick with the Hollins comparison. Jumping is the only thing either of them do at an NBA level.

What about a taller, blacker Kedrick Brown with less ball-handling skills?

PIP
01-02-2011, 11:39 PM
What about a taller, blacker Kedrick Brown with less ball-handling skills?Kedrick was beefier...

OptimusPrime
01-02-2011, 11:43 PM
What about a taller, blacker Kedrick Brown with less ball-handling skills?

That could work, but I think I remember Kedrick making a jumper. Not many, but at least one.

Man Called X
01-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Ok is it just me, or is Chris Grant literally doing everything we make a thread about? Jawad worst player ever? Cut. JJ Hickson = dog shit, benched. Recall Eyenga, done.

OptimusPrime
01-02-2011, 11:50 PM
I think Gilbert fired Grant months ago when he froze up over the summer and hired a guy off the street to read this site and do what it says.

wuck
01-03-2011, 12:25 AM
If Eyenga accidentally injures Kobe on the upcoming road trip, we'll know he's Kedrick 2.0.

Although, in honesty, he's more athletic than all the other players mentioned. There were other opportunities when a good pass would have gotten him an fast-break dunk. He was outpacing the field on some plays out there. Not the worst first NBA game by a rookie. Not the worst NBA game by a Cavalier tonight or this season, for that matter...

I would still be surprised if he doesn't get sent back down once Gibson comes back unless the Cavs are now ready to start emptying the roster and going with the youth movement.

Oreos
01-03-2011, 12:29 AM
You are calling a 21 year old baby a bust? This kid just played in his very first NBA game and you say bust? You Sir haven't a clue.

I'd rather you didn't quote him, I have him blocked so I don't see his messages...

di0p
01-03-2011, 01:01 AM
First NBA game. Chill out people.

Imagine the first time you got laid, I bet you didn't drop a triple double on that drunken lady friend...errrr...girlfriend from back in the day.

Patience homies. The cavs got all the time in the world the next few years.

Man Called X
01-03-2011, 01:12 AM
First NBA game. Chill out people.

Imagine the first time you got laid, I bet you didn't drop a triple double on that drunken lady friend...errrr...girlfriend from back in the day.

Patience homies. The cavs got all the time in the world the next few years.

Actually no, we fucked for about an hour and a half, and I told her to stop because I couldn't cum, and I ended up having to finish myself off for the next 20 minutes. Thanks for reminding me of my first and worst lay of my life.

Ruken
01-03-2011, 01:13 AM
I hope we are able to channel this kids athleticism and maybe teach him what basketball is

Frank Reynolds
01-03-2011, 01:13 AM
The one thing I really liked out of Eyenga was his feet. "good feet" are hard to come by. Good Feet are what makes Glen Davis, Shaq, and Warren Sapp quick and agile on their feet while Ryan Hollins lumbers around like a retard. Eyenga seems to have decent footwork. This dude is LONG and ATHLETIC, he has all of the tools to be an amazing defender, which he should be. Eyenga is never going to be an offensive master with a slew of moves, and player development needs to understand this. Hopefully some of Varejao's hustle will rub off on Christian and he can shock us with his athleticism. Christian should watch some videos of Gerald Wallace, he's a player that Eyenga should model his game after.

PIP
01-03-2011, 01:28 AM
I hope we are able to channel this kids athleticism and maybe teach him what basketball isLets do it !

sjeppe
01-03-2011, 10:01 AM
I think for his first game he didn't look bad, I thought his pressure man defense was great and actually messed up the flow of dallas offense, but we couldn't score which led to another loss of course. Its time to play samardo, eyenga, harris, Gee consistent minutes. They don't have to start , but they need to be playing IMO.

Lumthemad
01-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I think for his first game he didn't look bad, I thought his pressure man defense was great and actually messed up the flow of dallas offense, but we couldn't score which led to another loss of course. Its time to play samardo, eyenga, harris, Gee consistent minutes. They don't have to start , but they need to be playing IMO.

Based off the tiny blurb i heard in Byron's press conference, i don't think your dream will come true. Basically he stated --to paraphrase-- "I'm being forced to play the young guys right now with all of the injuries. When the guys come back we'll have to re-set the rotation and place the young players back on the bench". It was upsetting to hear and makes me think IF Scott doesn't wrap his head around the fact he NEEDS and really should play these youngsters, he's not going to last.

narbar32
01-03-2011, 10:25 AM
For what it's worth*, anybody that's watched Eyenga in summer league play has seen him actually make a few jumpers and, while he's no cp3, actually put the ball on the floor and get into the paint on occasion.

*It's worth a 25 lb bucket of pig shit, btw.

Lumthemad
01-03-2011, 10:30 AM
For what it's worth*, anybody that's watched Eyenga in summer league play has seen him actually make a few jumpers and, while he's no cp3, actually put the ball on the floor and get into the paint on occasion.

*It's worth a 25 lb bucket of pig shit, btw.

Yeah, he's got more to his game than what he was able to show last night. He can put in on the floor a bit, take it to the hole and finish very well. Mid-range is still a bit suspect as he seems to like to go to the hole or shoot the deeper jumper. Love his smoothness on the court AND you can see just what kind of *special* athlete he is. The kid can run and jump like no one's business.

Renodeluxe
01-03-2011, 11:08 AM

Then I guess the 3 pages of post from other fans are also clueless.

Jon
01-03-2011, 11:45 AM
It was upsetting to hear and makes me think IF Scott doesn't wrap his head around the fact he NEEDS and really should play these youngsters, he's not going to last.

Coaches don't get fired for not playing the likes of Gee, Eyenga, Harris, etc. These guys are hanging on by a thread to one of the worst teams in the league :(

Lumthemad
01-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Coaches don't get fired for not playing the likes of Gee, Eyenga, Harris, etc. These guys are hanging on by a thread to one of the worst teams in the league :(

Jon, i agree to a level , which is , with this talent he won't get canned. He will however get canned IF he doesn't at somepoint make it a priority to play young talent. What he determines as talent i'm unsure though, because he keeps on tossing out AP for extended periods of time. Also, you can see guys like Gee, Harris and Eyenga have certain abilities to play at this level. Perhaps not as starters but they do have some skill.

Maximus
01-03-2011, 12:36 PM
The one thing I really liked out of Eyenga was his feet. "good feet" are hard to come by.

http://www.opposingviews.com/attachments/0009/1246/alg_rex_ryan_speaks.jpg

Jon
01-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Also, you can see guys like Gee, Harris and Eyenga have certain abilities to play at this level. Perhaps not as starters but they do have some skill.

The NBADL is filled with players who are a little of this, a little of that, or a break away from earning a spot on the bench of an NBA team. None of these guys are top prospects. These are guys who've been granted a terrific opportunity and THEY have to prove themselves by helping the team. They should be gifted nothing. That approach is what led to JJ thinking he was all that, and that he could spend his time working on a minor flaw in his game like his jumper rather than important things his post-game, footwork, rebounding, and defense.

WhoWeAre
01-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Based off the tiny blurb i heard in Byron's press conference, i don't think your dream will come true. Basically he stated --to paraphrase-- "I'm being forced to play the young guys right now with all of the injuries. When the guys come back we'll have to re-set the rotation and place the young players back on the bench". It was upsetting to hear and makes me think IF Scott doesn't wrap his head around the fact he NEEDS and really should play these youngsters, he's not going to last.

So let me get this straight, you think that we should sit our trade-worthy veterans? That's really going to up the resale value. Your head has the shell on it.

Jon
01-03-2011, 02:11 PM
So let me get this straight, you think that we should sit our trade-worthy veterans? That's really going to up the resale value. Your head has the shell on it.

Trade value shouldn't be a concern either. Players like Andy, Antawn, Mo, Parker and Boobie are all known commodities. Leon could raise his value some (or lower it for that matter) since the status of his knees are a big question mark.

Lumthemad
01-03-2011, 02:22 PM

I actually didn't say that but thanks for attempting to place it on me. What i have been saying is ultimately, Scott will need to find time for these guys and with that needed change, our vets will see the floor less. Also, as Jon just stated, i tend to think people know Anderson, Jamison , Mo , Boobie and hell even Parker know how to play, so there trade value is pretty well set where it is at. I'm not asking for the vets to sit the game out or anything too drastic, i just want to see the younger guys on the floor when possible.

Lumthemad
01-03-2011, 02:28 PM
The NBADL is filled with players who are a little of this, a little of that, or a break away from earning a spot on the bench of an NBA team. None of these guys are top prospects. These are guys who've been granted a terrific opportunity and THEY have to prove themselves by helping the team. They should be gifted nothing. That approach is what led to JJ thinking he was all that, and that he could spend his time working on a minor flaw in his game like his jumper rather than important things his post-game, footwork, rebounding, and defense.

I 100% agree with you on being gifted things and you are correct that it led to trouble with JJ as he lost focus of what he needed to do in order to play the game correctly. The coaches don't have a lot of control and one thing they CAN control is who does or doesn't play. Sometimes, they use it as a teaching mechinism and sometimes, they just don't want to play a guy based on certain preferences. (see Boobie Gibson w/ Mike Brown) Coach Scott is in a rough spot but all in all, i think he's done a fairly solid job trying to balance it all. (even though i want to see the youngsters, i understand where he's at as a coach)

Jon
01-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Gee, Harris and Eyenga play when the vets ahead of them

get hurt - booobie
don't step up inthe starting role - moon/graham
mail it in for the season- moon
don't have the foot speed to defend their position - parker

I am not going to look down my nose at any of the three just because they came from the NBADL or aren't blue chip prospects in somebodies mind

Last I looked who was a ahead of them on the roster (Moon, Parker, Graham and formerly Jawad Williams) none of them were stellar players

I personally like Gee and Eyenga for no other reason is we need athleticism and rebounding at 3

Gee was well liked by both the Wizards and Spurs and by all accounts is the cream of the NBDL

Eyenga is still learning the game but I'll take his passion and natural athleticism over Moon's apathy in a heartbeat

Manny Harris looks worse than Shannon Brown when he was thrust into a playing time before he was ready. He looks like he is playing not to a make a mistake rather than letting the game come to him

I'd much rather see Sessions starting while Boobie is out than Harris

The key is that they earn it or bring something we don't have. If they hustle out of their minds on D, that's one way they can get it done. For instance, being the group that comes in and drives the other team nuts with their speed & length.

btw, I don't agree with the Manny/Shannon comparison. I haven't seen any hint of the "deer in the headlights" look from Manny, and playing conservatively (not to make a mistake) is appropriate because being too aggressive (and failing) will get you benched. That's why Gibson continued to build play time, while Shannon (who thought he had to come in to the game and score like LeBron) collected splinters.

I'm not against these guys getting minutes/opportunities, it just should mean something when they do: that they're progressing, learning the systems, and did something to earn it.

btw, if we start Mo & Sessions, who plays backup PG? Just play them a lot of minutes and stagger the rotations so one of them is always on the floor? Parker?

Matches
01-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Trade value shouldn't be a concern either. Players like Andy, Antawn, Mo, Parker and Boobie are all known commodities. Leon could raise his value some (or lower it for that matter) since the status of his knees are a big question mark.

I disagree to a point. They are known commodities but I have a sense that if a team were about to trade for one of the above players they would want a scout or two to come see them in person and if the report is that they couldn't even get on the floor ahead of 3 guys from the freaking D-league, that can't be good for business. I have no doubt in my mind that Jamison's value now is higher than it was at the beginning of the the season. He's a volume guy and as a starter he's getting that volume. Big numbers CAN dupe people in to thinking that somebody is something he's not -- (Larry Hughes).

Harris can't shoot and turns the ball over way too much. He seems to run the floor really well and he pushes the ball with far more speed than Parker, who is near helpless in that department.
Gee is smaller and weaker but springier than Graham. He's kind of impressed me in the games I've seen. I'm going to assume that when Gibson comes back, they will send Eyenga back down to get more playing time, which is what he needs. I'm much more comfortable sitting Harris on the bench than Eyenga. Jamario looks like he has more fun sitting the bench than playing in the games, so let him sit. That's a guy where I'm fine if we keep him because he clearly has no ego and enjoys the game. That's a good guy to have around as a towel waver, I suppose.

Jon
01-03-2011, 02:40 PM
playing him to increase his trade value when you have a real center in Hollins makes no sense

A taller one, anyway. That was a head-scratcher, but Hollins did manage to rack up 6 fouls in just 17 minutes, so it may not have made much of a difference.

Jon
01-03-2011, 02:55 PM
I disagree to a point. They are known commodities but I have a sense that if a team were about to trade for one of the above players they would want a scout or two to come see them in person and if the report is that they couldn't even get on the floor ahead of 3 guys from the freaking D-league, that can't be good for business. I have no doubt in my mind that Jamison's value now is higher than it was at the beginning of the the season. He's a volume guy and as a starter he's getting that volume. Big numbers CAN dupe people in to thinking that somebody is something he's not -- (Larry Hughes).

Harris can't shoot and turns the ball over way too much. He seems to run the floor really well and he pushes the ball with far more speed than Parker, who is near helpless in that department.
Gee is smaller and weaker but springier than Graham. He's kind of impressed me in the games I've seen. I'm going to assume that when Gibson comes back, they will send Eyenga back down to get more playing time, which is what he needs. I'm much more comfortable sitting Harris on the bench than Eyenga. Jamario looks like he has more fun sitting the bench than playing in the games, so let him sit. That's a guy where I'm fine if we keep him because he clearly has no ego and enjoys the game. That's a good guy to have around as a towel waver, I suppose.

I'm not particularly worried about it. If a trading partner wanted an audition, we'd provide it, but IMO outside of Andy our vets don't have much value beyond their contract. They sure didn't when we traded for them. So I'm just not convinced we're really talking about anything here. Will someone throw us a late first rounder for Jamison like we gave up to get him? Yeah, probably so. Is Sacramento going to send us Cousins so they can pair Mo with Evans? Heck, no. We can get expirings. We can get low-value picks. We can get flawed or misused players. We can get someone on a bad contract, etc, etc, and I just don't see that changing significantly based on playtime.

I wish there was a desperate sucker out there willing to overpay, but we were formerly that sucker, and look at what we paid?

Besides if any of these guys actually played well enough to not just send one of our vets to the bench, but eliminate them from the rotation; I'm thinking the fans and everyone in the organization would be so ecstatic with our good fortune, we wouldn't care.

Adam
01-03-2011, 02:58 PM
yeah i was pleased with hollins and his energy, he seemed to really want to get a win. Him and chandler got into it a bit and he scored strong around the rim. not sure he can play more minutes due to his silly fouls

Jon
01-03-2011, 03:08 PM
If Hollins had started and Parker actually covered Stevenson worth a shit the we might have won that game

Or he might have just fouled out in the 1st quarter ...

The Voice
01-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Why is it whenever Mo Williams has the ball and Manny Harris is wide open he refuses to pass to the kid? Is he afraid the kid is gonna take his playing time away or is Manny Harris Mo William's red headed step child?

Maximus
01-03-2011, 03:25 PM
what a douche bag comment from someone who probably didn't watch the game

Stop the personal attacks, get back on topic.

Jon
01-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Nice comment from someone who probably didn't watch the game

I watched the game. What part of 6 fouls in 17 minutes are you in denial over?

The fact that Scott's first choice wasn't to start Hollins should tell you something. :(

Lumthemad
01-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I like how Eyenga fought through the screens and in general, was very close to his player in terms of defense. He could be a Michael Cooper caliber of a defender or Ron Harper, if he learns the game. He seems to be heading Scotts words though as he was defending down in the D'League as well.

Jon
01-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Huh? The only thing I took issue with you is when you called Hollins a "real" center. He may be real tall, but he's not a real center. He played better .vs. Chandler than Powe did, I never denied that. It's just painfully clear that Scott has lost confidence in Hollins and it's not for lack of reason.

You talk about protecting the paint, but did you realize Hollins has just 8 rebounds and 2 blocks (2 assists, 2 steals) in the past month TOTAL? He's averaging just 6.4 rebounds per 36. A 7-foot coat rack could do better.

Jon
01-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Stevenson didn't torch us when Eyenga was in he waited for Parker to leave him wide fucking open

want a reason to play Gee and Eyenga and parker less , well thats one big one in my book unless Jon is going to try and defend parkers stellar defense

If you wish. It's not hard. Our effective FG% allowed is 1.6% lower (better) when Parker is on the court. Parker wasn't covering his man because he was busy helping to defend someone else's. As you know full well, when one player gives help, someone else has to rotate and pickup the shooter.

Jon
01-03-2011, 07:01 PM
My point is he IS a real center and if you have a gimpy Powe or a unfocused Hickson, Hollins is a better alternative when AV is out and the matchup against a REAL center warrants it

And my point is that your point is unfortunately debatable, due to massive suckage. :(

So what about future games? Are you going to go with Leon against over the hill vets? Hollins against really tall but offensively challenged players? and JJ against unfocused inexperienced players?

Hmm... that still leaves a lot of holes...

Personally, I think I'd just promote JJ back to starting C like he did for a stint last season, but I'm sure Scott has his reasons for not jumping the gun there.

Jon
01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
and how well did that work out Jon

Stevenson has a +25 and torched us for a season high 21 points . . brilliant!

All good defenses emphasize protecting the rim even if it might give the other team an open jumper. If the defense doesn't rotate correctly and the opposing shooters gets hot ... yeah, of course it gets ugly. So what?

Do you prefer to watch defenders who stand by while their teammates get scored on happy and content that at least they weren't the one who got burnt?

acook0718
01-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Wow... I thought with a 8-26 record the pissing contests would end.... guess not!

Jon
01-04-2011, 11:48 AM
you stay on your man and don't let him have a career night . . .pretty simple concept that someone like you could possibly grasp . . or maybe not

Great plan for the playground. Maybe you should stay there. In the NBA not helping on D just means someone has a career night dunking the basketball. Instead of giving up 15 points on 12 shots, we could have given up 24 points and/or gotten our bigs in to even more foul trouble.

Jezzar
01-04-2011, 07:15 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/scarjo_popcorn.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=4131)

wuck
01-05-2011, 11:12 PM
So...that was a rotten performance tonight by the team. But Eyenga shooting 7-10 and scoring 16 points in 28 minutes in his 2nd game as an NBA pro? That's not so bad to see. I hope he averages over 20 minutes/night going forward.

Pioneer10
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM
So...that was a rotten performance tonight by the team. But Eyenga shooting 7-10 and scoring 16 points in 28 minutes in his 2nd game as an NBA pro? That's not so bad to see. I hope he averages over 20 minutes/night going forward.

Didn't see the game: how did people feel he played? He had a great stat line but his +/- was -16

CBBI
01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Didn't see the game: how did people feel he played? He had a great stat line but his +/- was -16

When you get outscored by 27 over the last three quarters and you weren't in the starting lineup, its pretty difficult to not have a negative +/-

Hell Mo was on the floor during the good run in the first quarter and he still finished -14.

stycool24
01-06-2011, 12:48 PM

Dude can run the floor, he is super athletic. He got lost on couple of defensive possessions, but its only his 2nd game. I think he did pretty well over all. He can only get better. Hopefully he has much better work ethic than our favorite player JJ Hickson.

RchfldCavRaised
01-06-2011, 12:58 PM
When he got off that floor to block that shot from Derozan or one of those prehistoric birds, I swear I drooled

Dude can spring in like... no time

I didnt mind losing yesterday because instead of Anthony Parker, I was watching Alonzo Gee, Manny Harris and Eyenga all develop

The Voice
01-06-2011, 01:11 PM

That doesn't necessarily reflect his fault. Many posters on here have knocked the good ole +/-.

Pioneer10
01-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I wasn't trying to start a debate the value of +/-, just wanted to get an idea of how the kid played. Since I didn't see the game I wanted to simply check whether Eyenga could have had a classic Gooden game where he would get a bunch of points and rebounds but killed the team with his overall ineptitude. Of course +/- is effected by sample size, etc so again the request for opinions and not a blanket statement from me that he sucked because of the poor +/-

TheISHT
01-06-2011, 01:27 PM
He stood around the 3 point line and didn't move much off the ball. He would have been a perfect fit for LeBit**. The only thing I fear since he didn't grow up with the game that he'll never truly have the feel for the game.

When I saw how fast he was and how high he could jump (he should be able to do Le*** type chasedown rejections at will). But right now, it doesn't look like he has the timing to do that. He also needs to work on ball handling as much as cutting. If we could actually groom him he could be a decent player by the time he's 25-26. I just hope the "feel" will come to him as long as he get some consistent minutes. Before this year his seasons have been much shorter.

NarlCavs
01-06-2011, 02:07 PM
The thing that impressed me the most was the few times he used his mid range game. If he can continue to develop that it will be huge. The impression was all he could do was take it to the basket and hit occasional deep jumpers. Already showing a mid range game is very encouraging.

The physical tools to be a very good defender are already there. Eyenga also seems to have the desire to want to be a good defender and put in the work to be one.

Who knows what he'll ultimately become but I feel pretty good now that he can at least be a reliable rotation player once fully developed.

Gunther
01-06-2011, 02:12 PM
The thing that impressed me the most was the few times he used his mid range game. If he can continue to develop that it will be huge. The impression was all he could do was take it to the basket and hit occasional deep jumpers. Already showing a mid range game is very encouraging.

The physical tools to be a very good defender are already there. Eyenga also seems to have the desire to want to be a good defender and put in the work to be one.

Who knows what he'll ultimately become but I feel pretty good now that he can at least be a reliable rotation player once fully developed.

+1

Great post. I feel the same way regarding him becoming a rotation player some day. And unlike JJ, Eyenga is a smart cat. I actually feel like he'll absorb the info Coach gives him and will work hard to make it happen. Not so much with JJ.

Jon
01-06-2011, 02:18 PM
I knew you couldn't let this go Jon

Parker played shitty D

who was he helping out that they needed to double when stevenson was having a career night

more stubborn than informed as usual Jon

Why should I "let it go", you started it and have done exactly nothing to back your point unless you count blustering and insulting.

In other words, business as usual for you.

KI4MVP
01-06-2011, 02:32 PM
When he got off that floor to block that shot from Derozan or one of those prehistoric birds, I swear I drooled

Dude can spring in like... no time

I didnt mind losing yesterday because instead of Anthony Parker, I was watching Alonzo Gee, Manny Harris and Eyenga all develop

Manny is developing?

hud11
01-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Harris doesn't look nearly as aggressive or as confident as he did in the preaseason, while I wouldn't use either of those words with Eyenga, he looks a lot better. Harris just looks like he is thinking out there too much. Hopefully with more PT, that will change.

Eyenga is going to have some decent games this year just because nobody knows who he is and they dont pay much attention to him. If he can learn to move without the ball/cut to the hoop (and it looks like he has done this somewhat) then he's going to be really effective slashing to the hoop. As others have said his athleticism is ridiculous and effortless.

sjeppe
01-06-2011, 03:23 PM
After watching him play yesterday, i want to watch the Cavs game just to see him play everyday!

Amherstcavsfan
01-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Eyenga reminds me of a guard version of Josh Smith.

He has the upside to be an incredible defender and decent on offense.

sjeppe
01-06-2011, 05:28 PM
From watching Eyenga it seems he is eager to learn and takes criticism the right way. He has the pyshical abilites to be a good player and i think his attitude and maturity will allow him to actually be succesful, unlike Mr. Hickson.

Jon
01-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Eyenga is going to have some decent games this year just because nobody knows who he is and they dont pay much attention to him. If he can learn to move without the ball/cut to the hoop (and it looks like he has done this somewhat) then he's going to be really effective slashing to the hoop. As others have said his athleticism is ridiculous and effortless.

I don't really care why he has decent games, just as long as he has them. Even glacially slow developing players have some decent games.

bigjmac0815
01-09-2011, 12:38 PM
He could be starting tonight

ABJCavsInsider Jason Lloyd
BScott mking lineup changes tonight, but won't say what they are yet. Wants to tell players first. Pure speculation: Eyenga in, Gee out

wuck
01-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Eyenga sits out practice.

Cavaliers forward Christian Eyenga sits out practice with right ankle injury
Published: Monday, January 10, 2011, 4:18 PM Updated: Monday, January 10, 2011, 4:34 PM
By Mary Schmitt Boyer, The Plain Dealer

LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Cavaliers rookie forward Christian Eyenga sat out practice today at UCLA with his right foot in a walking boot as a precautionary measure after he twisted his ankle late in his first NBA start on Sunday at Phoenix.

But Eyenga assured anyone who asked, including coach Byron Scott, "I think I'll be fine tomorrow.''

The Cavs, who will play the Lakers on Tuesday night at Staples Center, are listing Eyenga as questionable.

Eyenga, who had 8 points, 5 rebounds, 2 blocked shots and 1 steal, plus 2 turnovers and 3 fouls, in the Cavs' 108-100 loss to the Suns, landed on another player's foot and went down hard under the Cavs basket with about 5 minutes left in that game. He grabbed his ankle and writhed in pain under the Cavs basket, staying there while play continued to the other end of the floor and back again before the Cavs could get a timeout so trainer Max Benton could get to him.

But eventually Eyenga walked off on his own and then returned to the game.

"When I saw him on the ground, I was like, 'Oh, man, you've got to be kidding me,''' said Scott, who had lost starting center Anderson Varejao for the season earlier Sunday with a torn tendon in his right foot. "Then when I saw him walking around, I said, 'You've got to be kidding me.' That was the range of emotions that went through me.''

NarlCavs
01-10-2011, 05:30 PM
And tomorrow afternoon we'll get the news that a fracture was found in Eyenga's ankle and he's done for the season.

KCOTT
01-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Eyenga is pretty quick and looks like he can get to the hole when he wants to. Every time I see his picture though, still can't believe he's only 21. Somebody check that birth certificate, just to make sure we don't have Danny Almonte from the Little League World Series on our hands. Did check his game log on ESPN though, could use some work from behind the arc where he is just 1-12. :eek:

Man Called X
01-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Eyenga is pretty quick and looks like he can get to the hole when he wants to. Every time I see his picture though, still can't believe he's only 21. Somebody check that birth certificate, just to make sure we don't have Danny Almonte from the Little League World Series on our hands. Did check his game log on ESPN though, could use some work from behind the arc where he is just 1-12. :eek:

Austin mentioned it during the game last night, Eyenga is essentially aiming his shots. He's got this little shove just before he shoots that he's got to eliminate. Ball is being pushed rather than shot. It can be corrected.

Matches
01-10-2011, 07:07 PM
People are going to sag off him tremendously until he starts hitting those threes he keeps taking. He does a lot of standing around out there on the weak side of the offense. Those are mostly uncontested 3s and they're not pretty.

Gunther
01-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Hopefully Chris Jent will be able to help Eyenga correct his shooting flaws. He'd really add a whole dimension to his game if he could establish consistency behind the arc. I'm glad he'll be seeing some playing time so he can work on his overall game.

wuck
01-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Jason Lloyd posted that Eyenga is doubtful for tonight's Lakers game. Might as well take their time until he's recovered.

Lumthemad
01-11-2011, 02:28 PM
The worst thing you can do is roll out a kid and risk hurting him somehow worse and lose him for even longer time with an even worse injury. They say that is partially what happened to Penny Hardaway. It started off as a bad calf that he didn't let heal and turned into a torn/destroyed knee. I'd probably hold him back until we are back from the West Coast trip *if* they are concerned.