PDA

View Full Version : Lebron at Point Guard.

CleveRocks
07-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Do you think Lebron wants the point?

Does any body remember this profile from Draft.net

NBA Comparison: Magic Johnson

Strengths: His vision and passing skills are what sets him apart. A player with his combination of size, and point guard skills is very rare. The only player to have this in the past was Magic Johnson. There are no more than 5 players in the NBA that have the vision and passing skills of LeBron. On top of all this he's a physical specimen. The sky is truly the limit. He has developed his body to make it a great strength, he is a legit 240 pounds and has very little body fat. Has an "NBA body" at 18. He has all the gifts to play PG, but he will likely have to start at the 2 and 3 positions before he can really run a team from the point guard position. But when you have a player with his type of passing skills, you want the offense to run through him every time down the floor, making point guard his natural position. He has met and surpassed the hype every step of the way. The game just comes so easily to him, he's the epitome of a hoops prodigy. He has canged the face of highschool athletics with Nationally televised games being carried by ESPN. He has lived up to the hype and then some every step of the way. Carmelo Anthony has a better jumpshot than LeBron, and a NCAA title under his belt. But LeBron has far superior upside.

There are others on this board with more direct access to get a read, but I wonder if this is a factor for Lebron. He pretty much ran the offense at critical points in the game last year. Everybody slots him at the three because of his size and athleticism. But I wonder if he could manage the point.

If he was our starting point guard, what sort of players would you put around him to succeed? Obvioulsy you would need players that move well off the ball and are able to handle his lightning passes (Rip Hamilton comes to mind). I remember a couple of spots during the playoffs where he made a spectacular pass inside which was missed. I am thinking that Larry Hughes and Shannon Brown fit this description. Anthony Parker also seems to fit this mold.

I have been puzzling on this since the whole Celtics/Sixers trade rumor. I have been puzzled as to how exactly Wally Scz(buy a vowel) would fit with Larry and Lebron already here.

I dont want to see LeBron running the point. He is more a off the cuff type player, then a guy who will play us through our sets (all two of them). James has exceptional vision, but has a problem with bouncing the air out of the ball.

A great guy to create if the offense breaks down, but not the guy to initiate.

CleveRocks
07-07-2006, 08:38 AM
I don't disagree, but I am wondering what Lebron is thinking...

Doctor K
07-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Unless we have a PG that can shoot (Which it looks like we won't have..Way to go Ferry) the Cavs can't afford to basically beg the other team to double LBJ without them paying for it..

CleveRocks
07-07-2006, 02:22 PM
I think I understand you PIP, but I think that underscores my point. This is my brain thread after reading the celtics trade rumor.

Gee Wally S is a good pick up, but where does he play? Lets put him at the three spot, hughes at 2 and Lebron at 1. Playing Andy and Z inside the team has a lot of options.

The problem with our current outside shooters:

Damon is short and defensively challenged so he has to play 1 or 2, but he is not a good enough playmaker or handler to do either of these well.

Marshall pulls our power out of the middle for his long shot, so we get into a one shot and out pattern when he is not knocking them down. His three from the corner leaves him too far away from the basket to rebound and too far from the opposing rim to get back on old legs.

A good shooting three solves that problem, in that we can still crash the boards, but we can also defend the transition on the miss.

One could argue that lebron is standing around pounding the ball because the team mates he has don't know how to move off the ball like say a Rip Hamilton does. Five guys have to be presuring the defense to get the cracks we need to exploit them.

Another way to look at it. If we were to write the definition of the ideal point, it would be good outside shot, passing ability, tough on ball defense, lightning drive to the hoop, excellent handles. If lebron were 6'4" and 210, we wouldn't even discuss it, he'ld be a point..

I recall the many time Ferry has said that Lebron can play positions 1 - 4, and I look at the celtics move and the anthony parker move and I am thinking maybe they have decided Lebron will be a point after all.

lebron720
07-07-2006, 03:52 PM
PG- hughes

SG- lebron

SF- al harrington

PF- gooden

C- Z

make it happen!!!!!!