PDA

View Full Version : Indians acquires second baseman Josh Barfield

Cavsfan89
11-08-2006, 03:07 PM
The Indians have acquired second baseman Josh Barfield from the San Diego Padres. The deal is expected to be announced this afternoon and could include infielder Kevin Kouzmanoff and right-hander Andrew Brown.

Barfield, the son of former Toronto outfielder Jesse Barfield, hit .280 (151-for-539) with 32 doubles, three triples, 13 homers and 58 RBI as a rookie this year. He stole 21 bases.

The Indians, since trading Ronnie Belliard in July, have had a hole at second base.

Kouzmanoff, who hit the first pitch he saw in the big leagues for a grand slam in September, hit .214 (12-for-56) with three homers and 11 RBI for the Tribe. Brown, who is out of options, had no record and a 3.60 ERA in nine appearances for the Tribe.

The Padres need a third baseman, Kouzmanoff’s primary position. He hit a combined .379 (131-for-346) with 28 doubles, 22 homers and 75 RBI in 94 games at Class AA Akron and Class AAA Buffalo.

Paul Hoynes, phoynes@plaind.com

cdt
11-08-2006, 05:06 PM
I heard Kouzmanoff was beating the hide off the baseball..idk about this one..

Cleveland56
11-08-2006, 05:22 PM
his worry is his back...had some pretty serious problems. not a good sign for a young player...or they think Marte is their guy at third.

PIP
11-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Great...I guess

We get a national league style of player here in the AL... If Marte gets hurt, I'm sure our depth will be so stacked at 3rd, we won't miss a beat...

When looking at these trades, usually you look for statistics as to why the deal was made... However, when it comes to the awesome tribe, the first thing you need to look for is their salary.. That's sad..

If it's cheap, it's right.. :thumbup:

If this guy can field the ball, steal some bases, ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO LAY A BUNT DOWN, I guess it was a good move..

Woo

CornerThree
11-08-2006, 05:54 PM
I guess they were going to trade for Soriano, but they weren't sure whether or not he was a second baseman.

It would be great if there were a post somewhere that could clarify this for me.

PIP
11-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Harp-

I was only able to find a couple blurbs on it...

It was my understanding that the Tribe was going to offer Soriano a 5 year deal for 3 million in total dollars...However, they were going to sweeten the deal with an incentive laced contract..

The reports are fuzzy, but, the word on the street is, if Soriano was to get a home run in every at bat this upcoming season, and finish the year with zero strikeouts, the tribe would pony up an additional 5 grand....

He's probably thinking it over...

Deadlock
11-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Heard about this on The Buzzard. I guess people are saying we got Josh Barfield as a steal. I personally know nothing about the guy.

SportMcAllister
11-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Great trade for the Indians.

Kouz was going nowhere - he was blocked at third and first. Andy Brown was out of options. For the two of them the Indians managed to get second base solved for a few years (instead of having to fill in on a day by day basis).

Now that they have second base solved they can go on to tackle the bullpen, and maybe get a bat for the OF for good measure.

I can't really see much wrong with this deal from the Indians POV.

cdt
11-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Barfield to Indians for Kouzmanoff, Triple-A pitcherAssociated Press

CLEVELAND -- Just like his dad, Josh Barfield made it to the big leagues. Now, he's following his father to the American League.

Barfield, who as a rookie second baseman helped San Diego win a division title, was acquired Wednesday by the Cleveland Indians, who traded infielder Kevin Kouzmanoff and right-hander Andrew Brown to the Padres.

The 23-year-old Barfield, who played in 150 games last season, was stunned by the deal.

"I had no idea when I got the call this morning," he said. "It took me by surprise. But I know it's going to be a better situation for me."

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2654211)

Played in a tough hitters ballpark and San Diego and has a .987 fielding % which is a sharp contrast to our infielders..only 23 years old..nice move.

lebron720
11-09-2006, 09:43 AM
looks like a great deal, Barfield was considered for rookie of the year.

he has good speed and decent power, also pretty good in the field. now we need some relievers.

SportMcAllister
11-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Agree completely. And this trade ought to make that easier to do too.

The Oi
11-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Will he show up in Cleveland with a jheri curl as greasily intense as his father had?

PIP
11-09-2006, 12:55 PM
If I was him, I wouldn't even show up... Only a moron leaves San Diego for Cleveland..

Cavs1
11-09-2006, 01:08 PM
so you're saying that he just quit baseball then and live at home with pops?

PIP
11-09-2006, 01:16 PM
yes

cavincali
11-09-2006, 02:41 PM
If I was him, I wouldn't even show up... Only a moron leaves San Diego for Cleveland..

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :thisguy: pipster

i chuckled out loud on that one.

SportMcAllister
11-10-2006, 03:15 AM
Yeah, of course, silly me - lets have someone who is a major league baseball player, who has no choice for the next five years as to where he plays, decide not to show up and just retire instead of play in Cleveland.

Blind_Sniper
11-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Barfield was a great deal... but now that Sheff has gone to the Tigers we need another bat....

SportMcAllister
11-10-2006, 08:10 PM
only after the Indians fix their three biggest problems...

bullpen, bullpen and bullpen

crazedcav333
11-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Fantastic trade. Great move. Kouz was a very good prospect IMO, but would be behind Marte.

Ayatolla of Slamola
11-13-2006, 10:38 AM
This was a great trade! Kouz is a good player but he was sitting behind Marte and Garko... If Barfield can improve his OBP then we have our answer for a leadoff hitter so we can move Grady back to the #3 spot...

As for needing another bat, I don't think we "need" another... we have 5 maybe 6 players in our lineup that is capabale of hitting 25-30+ If we just stregthen our bullpen, I think we have a serious shot to make a title run this year. I don't think offence will be a problem at all! The Tribe should be in the top 5 in most batting catagories. We have a solid starting rotation (not great, but solid).

Cavs1
11-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I like this deal too. If he's capable of being a lead-off batter then I really love the move. I'd too much rather see Grady in the 3-hole because he is such a great hitter. Hopefully people aren't quick to bash this deal if he has a bad second year...sophomore slumps happen a lot (i.e. jody gerut, jhonny peralta), and don't forget he's also switching leagues too. he could be a really good player in the future. I'm gonna miss Minny Manny (ronnie) though.

As for what we need: Bullpen and corner outfield i think are our needs. Michaels is not the answer in left, and Blake isn't that great either though he did have a good year by his standards (and he can platoon at 1st when needed). I guess we can give Peralta one more year to see if he can get in better shape, field better, hit a curveball, and not have the lowest batting avg in the league with RISP(runners in scoring position).

Fundamentals
11-13-2006, 01:18 PM
The thing to remember about this trade is that Kouzmanoff can't stay healthy. If he could, he'd be a top 10 prospect in all of baseball. But he has had back problems, is average to slightly below defensively, and doesn't have as much power as people are projecting based on his early success in Cleveland. He was the biggest chip the Indians had to trade from the minors, and they filled a hole with him. Good trade, IMO.