PDA

View Full Version : Other Point Guards Articles and Views

Unrestricted free agent guard Juan Dixon visited Seattle this weekend and has also spoken with Cleveland, Indiana, Miami, Minnesota and Sacramento, according to agent Calvin Andrews .

A source close to restricted free agent guard Steve Blake said that he has been contacted by teams, but likely won't receive a contract offer until after the CBA is ratified. Teams with reported interest include Miami, Minnesota and Cleveland.Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/25/AR2005072501410.html)

I'm sure in the next few days we'll here rumours about what point guards we are talking to from Marko Jaric to Juan Dixon to Brevin Knight to Damon Stoudamire to Steve Blake. Shall be an interesting week.

Chris_Farley
07-26-2005, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Brevin Knight come back to the Cavs at all, in fact, i think he would be a perfect fit. He's learned how to hit jumpshots, and is a PURE PG. Didnt this guy have like a 20 assist game last year? If i was Ferry, id definately consider Knight.

Deadlock
07-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Brevin Knight can be a good point guard for us and a great fit. We all know he can diss the ball, but I'm not sure how well his defense is. But if he can play the defense he can be a good fit here since we already have enough scoring on the field from Z, James, Hughes and even Marshall now.

cdt
07-26-2005, 07:58 PM
I'd like Jaric the most then Damon Stoudamire and Jones. Jaric's size will pose problems and from what I hear he is a solid defender as well an alright shooter, if we get him instead of the two damnon's look for Marshall to start to be a 3 pt threat and Gooden and Varejao to come off the bench..

d3
07-26-2005, 07:59 PM
yeah he had 20 assists against the cavs

Brevin Knight would be a good fit if we already had a shooter who played the point or were strong shooting from the wings. With Snow our other point, Knight would be just another player without range. Knight has stepped up a little this past year, but his skillset doesn't match what we need.

cdt
07-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Jaric's all around game makes up for his lack of great outside shooting, he is 6 7 solid defender great distributor and everything but not a great outside shot. If we are deadset on getting a shooter we will turn our attention on Damon Jones, and Damon Stoudamire. I'm getting a crummy feeling that the Nuggets will get Jaric :(

Chris_Farley
07-26-2005, 08:09 PM
I dont think it was against the cavs.....it couldnt have been, but i dunno. But yea, good point, if we got knight, none of our PGs would be able to shoot with range, he'd be a good backup with us, but that won't happen.

Pioneer10
07-26-2005, 09:02 PM
I've been pushing Jaric for awhile so he's my first choice.

Otherwise I think Dixon is worth a look as he's an outstanding shooter particularly from midrange. He's definitely not a prototypical PG but the Cavs, much like the Bulls with Pippen and Jordan, can afford to play a scoring PG with ballhandlers like Lebron, Hughes, and even Jackson

Benedict_Boozer
07-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Exactly we don't really need a pure PG. All we need is someone who can hit wide open jumpshots, handle/push the ball, and defend penetration.

None of the current PG's on the market excite me or exactly fit that role, but out of our current options Jaric is probably the best fit (everyone is injury prone on the Clippers, just look at Odom while he was there).

After that, we should start looking at shooters like Jones/Stoudemire who at a minimum will space the floor.

aggressivestyle
07-26-2005, 09:16 PM
I dont think it was against the cavs.....it couldnt have been, but i dunno. But yea, good point, if we got knight, none of our PGs would be able to shoot with range, he'd be a good backup with us, but that won't happen.

15pts 20 ast.2 point loss to the cavs.His best game last yr. 21pts 17ast! 1 point loss

Benedict_Boozer
07-26-2005, 09:18 PM
15pts 20 ast.2 point loss to the cavs.

I remember that game, everybody thought we were gonna drop a HOME game to Charlotte and by some miracle somebody on their squad bricks a 2 foot chip shot (think it was Hart?) and we go into overtime.

Knight was eating us alive down the stretch of that game, sticking clutch jumpers left and right.

Brevin Knights career game coincided with Jeff McInnis defending him (if you can call it defense). Actually Jeff had a great run of allowing his opponent career or near career games on him. At least some people will remember him fondly, shame though none of them will be Cavalier people.

CBBI
07-26-2005, 09:34 PM
I remember that game, everybody thought we were gonna drop a HOME game to Charlotte and by some miracle somebody on their squad bricks a 2 foot chip shot (think it was Hart?) and we go into overtime.

Knight was eating us alive down the stretch of that game, sticking clutch jumpers left and right.

That was Bogans who missed that shot and it was from about 12 feet.

Still it was a wide open look.

Blake, a restricted free agent, also has drawn interest from Cleveland and Miami among other teams. Full Article (http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20050728-124652-1639r.htm)

The Heat is negotiating with last season's starting point guard, Damon Jones, who apparently hasn't drawn much interest on the market. Cleveland reportedly has expressed interest in Jones but is focused on signing free agents Marko Jaric or Sarunas Jasikevicius for now.
Full Article (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-heatroundup29jul29,0,7662155.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines)

House said his preference would be to remain with the Kings, though he conceded that prospect looks like a real long shot now... House said his agent, Mark Bartelstein, has been in contact with other possible suitors, including Seattle, Cleveland and Miami, which drafted him in the second round in 2000 and employed him for three seasons.Sacramento Bee Paper

Dungong
07-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Knight was doing a nice job with the Cats before he went down, but yeah he was an assist machine down there throwing it to the likes of Okafur and.... uh... hmm. well, imagine what he'd do with LeBron, Hughes, and Z.

There is a bunch of talk about needing an outside shooter, and everyone seems to think we don't have that yet. Personally, I think LeBron hitting 37% from the 3 and probably getting better is a 3 point threat. Hughes isn't so much, but he can shoot mid range. Z hitting from 18 (and the occasional game tying 3) is also huge, that forces the opposing center out of the lane. Marshall, as we know, can nail the 3. Luke when healthy is a good outside shooter. Ira's 3 was even coming into its own last year a bit. Plus, we got Gooden who hit 2 threes in a row last year one time (kidding, of course).

Basically, i think we got enough shooters on this team to just go for the best overall player we can get at the PG.