View Full Version : Manny Wants Out Of Boston

cdt
07-28-2005, 08:04 PM
Updated: July 28, 2005, 7:52 PM ET
Sox will explore Ramirez trade, but will be hard
Associated Press
Related Video:
Baseball Tonight tackles unlikely trades ESPN Motion

BOSTON -- Manny Ramirez's trade request will be difficult to honor because of his contract, Boston Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said Thursday.

Lucchino also said he didn't know the left fielder's motivation for refusing manager Terry Francona's request to play Wednesday afternoon's game at Tampa Bay after another outfielder, Trot Nixon, was sidelined with a strained muscle in his side. Before the injury, Francona told Ramirez he could have the day off.

Manny Ramirez
Manny Ramirez wants a trade out of Boston -- at least the third time in four seasons he's demanded out.

"It's hard to know if the events of the last couple of days are the result of sort of psychological and physical needs for a sustained period of rest or it's some calculation or some move to encourage us to trade him," Lucchino told WEEI radio on his regularly scheduled segment.

Lucchino and Ramirez's agent, Scott Parker, did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment. Team owner John Henry and general manager Theo Epstein did not respond to e-mails, and the Red Sox clubhouse was locked on their day off Thursday.

Ramirez is batting .275 with 28 homers and a major league-leading 92 RBI for the Red Sox, who lead the AL East by 1 games over the New York Yankees. He is due $64.2 million from his $160 million, eight-year contract: $7,213,115 from Friday through the rest of this season from this year's $20 million salary, $19 million in 2006, $18 million in 2007 and $20 million in 2008. The deal also includes team options for two additional seasons at $20 million annually.

On Tuesday, Sports Illustrated reported on its Web site that Ramirez, for at least the third time in four seasons, had asked to be traded. The report said he told club officials he was unhappy in Boston, especially with an off-field lack of privacy.

The Red Sox will explore trading him before Sunday's deadline, but that will be tough, Lucchino said.

"Because of the size of his contract, obviously, it's hard," he said. "There aren't a lot of clubs that are going to be interested, but it depends how little you're willing to take in return with respect to trades. I'm not talking about Manny specifically, although it certainly applies to him."

A club might want to make a deal if it asks the Red Sox to pay 95 percent of Ramirez's salary, "but that's not a particularly intelligent thing for us to do," Lucchino said.

He also said this is the fourth straight season in which Ramirez has requested a trade "and our general response was, `it's that time of year' and we'll explore it as we explore other trades."

Boston may resist trading Ramirez because it is short in the outfield. With Nixon on the 15-day disabled list and Ramirez not playing, Francona used first baseman Kevin Millar in left field and rookie Adam Stern in right Wednesday.

Despite leading the division, Red Sox officials would like to improve their postseason chances with a trade. Last year, Epstein sent shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the Chicago Cubs at the deadline.

"It is the time of year when you consider all manner of trades," Lucchino said. "Theo is certainly willing to be bold and make moves that other GMs might shy away from, so this is the time for us to think about trades and, certainly, Manny's name will come up from time to time, I'm sure, in the next 72 hours."

The Sox Needs are as follows....Closer..Outfielders..Infielders..

We could package Dubois Wickman Boone and maybe even Broussard along with a decent prospect maybe Brandon Phillips or Ludwick or both..We could negotiate it so that Boston pays a large chunk of Ramirez' deal. I'm probably making a pipe dream here but I know I'd love a Manny Cleveland reunion as he was my all time favorite tribe player, he is the best hitter period in baseball and we have lacked a forceful right handed slugger all season. We have the prospects and the major league talent to pull this deal off..

The Socks are majorly short withoutfielders they would get a decent guy in Dubois a young guy in Ludwick who probably won't fit in the outfield once Gutierrez comes up. Phillips could be their future 2nd baseman with some more work in triple A. And the Sox would welcome the closer with the most saves in the AL since Foulke has completely sucked and Schilling is going back to starting..Broussard could also provide some work at 1B letting David Ortiz DH.

TrueCavsFan23
07-28-2005, 09:36 PM
i saw this yesterday...i would shit myself if we even attempted to get him.i would be so happy to bring him back,but we all know dolan.

cdt
07-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Dolan is a complete schister he is the biggest cheap skate he makes Donald Sterling look like Mark Cuban...we won't get Manny its a pipe dream because our owners don't care..

TrueCavsFan23
07-28-2005, 10:14 PM
but if he really wanted to be that buyer he said he was gonna be then lemme see what he does.if he grabs manny i take all the shyt i said about him back.

Mac
07-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Boston would most certainly have to pay some of his contract to deal him..so if Boston would pony up 50% and we offered a deal like that, he would be ours.

I read this earlier and was thinking on what we would have to offer to pry him away, I think Wickman, Boone, and two minor leaguers should get it done.,

Marty Mar
07-29-2005, 12:36 AM
wasn't there rumors of Thome coming back too? i forget where i heard if from. if those two come back, watch the seats fill back up in the jake just because of them.

cdt
07-29-2005, 12:58 AM
No the Thome stuff was him saying he would waive his no trade to come back here. He is hurt and not producing he won't come here trust me. Manny has a better shot..

cavincali
07-29-2005, 01:36 AM
i stop what im doing to watch this guy hit.

i still remember him hitting that 450 foot bomb straight away in his last abat.

if there is someway we get him i dont know what i will do. if i remeber correctly he said he wished he never left the indians during his first year.

come man-ram you know you want to come back. :thumbup: please!!!

PIP
07-29-2005, 01:46 AM
he was quoted in a espn article early this year- or at the tail end of last year saying: if gets in the hall of fame ? he's going in as an indian.

that was after winning the mvp of the world series (shows where his heart is :chuckles: )

that's cool.. :thumbup:

cdt
07-29-2005, 01:52 AM
I love Manny and Manny loves us...whats the hold up here Shapiro? Broussard won't be here when Garko comes up anyway. Belliard isn't leaving 2nd base at least for now, so why not deal Phillips Ludwick Boone and Wicky and split Manny's contract..this town is dead on the indians right now and getting back everyone's favorite player who bats right handed and is only the best hitter in the game could send us over the Twins. Boone sucks they don't have a great 3rd baseman though, they need Wickman they could use Ludwick or Dubois or both if thats what it takes. And if losing Phillips means gaining Manny then so be it. Our first 5 would be awesome. Grady, Coco Hafner Manny Victor, that is a lot of RBI's in the 3 4 and 5 and Grady and Coco have decent ob% so they could drive in runs. I think Manny is sick of having to fight off the Yankees every year and Baltimore is looking good. I really want him back...Shapiro hasn't made many good moves other then the Colon trade when we got Cliff Lee Grady and Phillips. But he needs to do this one..

TrueCavsFan23
07-29-2005, 02:06 AM
i love manny...fav. player still in the majors...thome was a dumb rumor off the indians forums.send wicky cause i know they want him and boone and some prospects.ill do it for sure,all im saying is if we were serious bout playoffs do this deal cause we have the talent to get this deal done.coco,grady,and manny is a nice OF.please if we can move blake just move the guy.

zenlunatic
07-29-2005, 02:39 AM
This trade will never happen, but a boy came dream.....

If Dolan really wanted to field a contending team, and put more butts in the stands, he would some how make this dream a reality. Manny back in Cleveland would at least double the attendence, and probably make us a legit contender for the wildcard. I'm sure Boston would probably want a starter too, say Millwood or CC. Sadly, i doubt they would want anything to do with Blake.....But, we all know Manny does this every year, so even if our organization wanted him, i doubt he'd be traded to us.

Anyone see Manny duck into the green monster a few games ago for a "potty break" :chuckles: . The opposing team was switching pitchers at the time. You gotta love this guy.

TrueCavsFan23
07-29-2005, 02:42 AM
yea lmao then the ball went right to him.

cdt
07-29-2005, 02:45 AM
Yeah he came out and was like uh hey guys...hows it goin? lol. Even when he makes fielding mistakes its funny, I'd love for him to be making errors for us in the outfield if it meant he had Indians across his chest...And driving in 150 runs per year..god I miss him..he signed a shirt for me when he was in RF. They were sending in someone else to warm up and I called to him and he jogged over and signed my sleeve...It was so awesome..COME BACK MANNY! shapiro you need to make this happen..

James
07-29-2005, 12:21 PM
I dont think we will get rid of him. he is the best offensive player in the league and there is nobody out there that we could get of equal value.

Mac
07-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Oh, Boston doesnt want Manny. Believe that.

They tried to give him away before last season and nobody wanted him, nobody wants to pay that contract, that includes Boston.

Boston has their ring, they dont care about winning another one right now. They have to rebuild that team because they are getting old. Schill doesnt have much left in the tank, they lost Pedro, their minor leagues arent that good in pitching last i Heard..

Wicky, Phillips, Ludwick and a pitching prospect or two and Manny is ours..

Slim Sheedy
07-29-2005, 02:41 PM
this is what the trade was and it was said to be accepted by the trade deadline... according to 1100 Indians Radio Show

Elarton, Riske, Bentancourt, and 2 minor league players

for

Manny Ramirez and boston will pay 9 million dollars for 3 years so Indians would only have 10 mil a year to his name...

id do it in a hearbeat

Mac
07-29-2005, 05:26 PM
whoa whoa..was that them just speculating or is that something that is in the works..

cavincali
07-29-2005, 07:20 PM
slim dont leave us waiting like this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mac
07-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Neg rep points coming for leading me on!!! i can feel it!!!

Mac
07-29-2005, 08:53 PM
According to ESPN the Sox are close to dealing him to New York in a three way with Tampa Bay

Slim Sheedy
07-29-2005, 09:40 PM
really? well they said it on the radio that it was in the works.. so maybe it was a rumor around the clubhouse.. who knows... but i would love to have him back..

if he goes to new york does that mean no more Sheffield?

Mac
07-29-2005, 09:49 PM
New York Mets, why in the world would they trade with the Yanks????

But ESPN is now saying the deal is dead after it hit a road block.

Indians back in the picture baby!!

joma
07-29-2005, 10:33 PM
that would be awesome if we got manny back. Im dreaming about how the 3-4 batting order will be with hafner and ramirez

TrueCavsFan23
07-29-2005, 10:37 PM
wow man i would love to have him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cdt
07-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Yeah I saw where ESPN said the 3 team deal hit a "snafu". And my guess is the Mets are already trying to work something out with Soriano now. Dont be surprised to wake up with Manny in New York though, how many times have deals been dead before like the Randy Johnson to NYY deal was dead like once a week. And Slim Sheedy was that a proposed deal or something WTAM 1100 tossed together?

Slim Sheedy
07-30-2005, 11:20 AM
i think it was a offer on the table according to the announcer guy...

Ronnie Artest
07-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Why Manny? Why?

Fine just leave you bastard, the Sox don't need you :mad:

.................................................. .....

I'm sorry Manny you know I was just playing, please don't leave :(

cdt
07-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Yeah lol add the normal everyday outfielder he has 50 or so rbi's maybe 60 when many leads the mlb with 92..lol

PIP
07-30-2005, 03:23 PM
Why Manny? Why?

Fine just leave you bastard, the Sox don't need you :mad:

.................................................. .....

I'm sorry Manny you know I was just playing, please don't leave :(

perhaps he wants to play for the indiana ?????? oh wait!!!!!!!!!!

just kidding :chuckles:

cdt
07-30-2005, 03:34 PM
1 of the 3 teams in the trade had someone close to them tell ESPN that the deal is close to dead after it reheated late last night. I'd rather have him stay in Boston actually because if he gets traded chances are he may become happy and we don't want that. He needs to stay there and we need to get him in the offseason.

TrueCavsFan23
07-30-2005, 04:58 PM
come on dolan do something!

cdt
07-30-2005, 05:57 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/112271601160651.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

The Article states they haven't made any inquiries about Ramirez and since deals that large take some time to pull the trigger it almost negates anything. As usual we aren't buyers or sellers at the deadline we are onlookers....dolan sucks.

Ronnie Artest
08-01-2005, 01:16 AM
perhaps he wants to play for the indiana ?????? oh wait!!!!!!!!!!

just kidding :chuckles:

HELL NO!

I don't want a damn baseball team in Indiana. We have a triple A team and no one supports them, ironically they are named the Indians. If we got an MLB team they would go straight to hell.

cdt
08-01-2005, 01:24 AM
Couldn't be any worse then the Monreal Expos or the Tampa Bay Devil Rays :chuckles:....there was no hope for the Expos in Canada, I'm quite impressed at how the Blue Jays are holding it together. The Devil Rays get a great farm system bring guys up and as soon as they get any value whatsoever deal them off for more prospects. I think if the Devil Rays were flopped with their AAA team they would fair better..the only players I like there are Carl Crawford and BJ Upton.

Mac
08-01-2005, 04:29 PM
HELL NO!

I don't want a damn baseball team in Indiana. We have a triple A team and no one supports them, ironically they are named the Indians. If we got an MLB team they would go straight to hell.

They have one of the best teams in the NFL and they can barely fill the seats.

The Colts have one of the worst attendence records of any team in the NFL, much less a offensive juggernout sp? like the Colts.

It's actually sad, because Browns fans and members of the Browns Backers put in requests for group tickets and I guess it went to about 10,000+ seats but the Colts said no because the abundance of fans..

Whats pathetic is, I bet that game doesnt even sell out and it would have if they would have sold those group tickets...

Didnt want the Browns diehards to out number the Colts die hards.

Indiana is a basketball state, plain and simple.

cavincali
08-01-2005, 06:49 PM
i read that before but i dont think the number was 10,000 but it was a big number none the less.

their stadium is small and they have a hard time selling out at a time when football will be its most exciting in indy.

Ronnie Artest
08-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Yea there is a reason that the Dome doesn't sell out, A. Everyone in Indy feels that the ownership sucks ass. Thats the main reason really.

The last couple of years were bad because everytime you'd pick up a paper around here, it would say how Irsay is going to move the team to L.A. You all can say what you want but you wouldn't be happy about hearing your favorite football team, is moving and I doubt that you would want to put that much money out.

I went to 5 of the home games last season alone and I can tell you that the people get just as drunk, and they cheer just as much.

This year all our home game are pretty much sold out already.

zenlunatic
08-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Believe me, this town knows all about their favorite football team moving....and once we got the team back, we've pretty much sucked, yet still sold out the stadium.

cavincali
08-02-2005, 06:12 PM
i tell you what if art modell bought the browns back and we had a team like the colts, the stadium would still be sold out and them some. probably have people sitting in the isles. but along with that there would be thousands of signs degrading modell and modell wouldnt be their. their frankly isnt any excuse for not selling-out with that team.

Mac
08-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Every single game since the Browns came back has been sold out.

cavincali
08-02-2005, 06:18 PM
and will continue until nfl doesnt exsist.

Ronnie Artest
08-03-2005, 12:41 PM
You act as if the Colts don't sell out? Every game in the Peyton Manning era has been a sell-out. Thats just going back to were I can remember.

So yes there is no excuse for not selling out with them, but we have sold every seat.

Mac
08-03-2005, 05:12 PM
No way that is true...

I just read an article about how the Colts have one of the worst home attendence in the NFL. How could that be if they sell out??

It was the sporting news, ill try to find it..

Ronnie Artest
08-03-2005, 11:03 PM
No way that is true...

I just read an article about how the Colts have one of the worst home attendence in the NFL. How could that be if they sell out??

It was the sporting news, ill try to find it..

That is because our Dome is so damn small. It is like the 3rd smallest Venue in the NFL. Thats why the Colts demanded a new stadium and thats why the city is giving it to them.

Attendance numbers are lower becuase fewer people can fit inside.

Fact for you here, home games that don't sell out aren't shown on TV. Lets just say that the Colts are on TV every home game on Sundays.

Bandingo
08-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Manny should come back and play for us. There is no reason not to.