• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

How much $$$ we will have to spend.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
NarlCavs said:
I like Joe Johnson too but I think Phoenix will match an offer and it is also too much of a risk to make a run at him with his restricted FA status. It would tie up valuable time waiting to see whether an offer is matched or not. The rest of the top FA's could be gone by the time that 2 week period for the Suns to make a decision is up.
I'd go after Allen and Redd 1st since they're unrestricted and are stronger possibilities to leave their current teams.
This is definitely a concern, but we might have to take a gamble because I feel JJ is a better fit for this team than Allen or Redd. Also, I still say that the Suns would not match a deal starting at $9m for JJ. They have $30m tied up next year on just 3 guys already (Nash/Marion/Q) and Amare is due a big raise the season after next. The Suns have said they are not prepared to pay a lot of luxury tax. In fact, the Suns already have $45m committed for next year without counting Joe Johnson. So they are already over the current cap, not far under whatever the new cap will be, and Amare will be getting at least $10m more than what he is currently getting, after next season. Honestly, I could see them balking at $9m for JJ and just trying to plug JIM Jackson in there (for the short term). He did start a few games for them since they acquired him and he shot 45.9% from 3 point range in 40 games for the Suns.

Last edited:
tyguy said:
His role was to defend the better guard, occasionaly play point guard and to stroke the three. In all honesty, they could probably get by just using jim jackson
Heh, I didn't even see you wrote this until after I said basically the same thing. So... yeah, I agree. :cool:

I also believe that bringing in jim jackson not only was to help strengthen their bench but also to soften the blow if joe left them.

What I would like to see happen.

Let everyone walk except for Z. Resign him for 10-11 a year. Buy out Harris (of course). Pick up Traylors option. He is a solid bench player.

I keep hearing people talking about trading Gooden and Luke. I think that would be a huge mistake. Gooden has been nothing but a positive in my opinion. People said he would be an off court problem, but I haven't seen any of that at all. When he was benched he didn't pout, he played hard and got his starting position back. He may be dumb, but I don't see him as a distraction. We haven't even seen what Luke can do and I have heard nothing negative about the kid. Keep him! If we are going to trade anyone it is Jiri or Sasha.

Forget Joe Johnson. Phoenix is going to get him back. Forget Redd too. Bobby Simmons is the key. He is similar to Johnson but a lot cheaper. PG position could be filled by Dickau, Watson, or Daniels. I think going after Dalembert would be good too.

Starting Line up:

PG - Snow
SG - Simmons
SF - Lebron
PF - Gooden
C - Big Z

Bench

PG - Dickau/Watson
SG - Newble and Jackson
SF - Pavlovic
PF - Varejao
C - Traylor and Dalembert

Last edited:
simmons is too much of a risk. Sure he is having a nice season but tis only been once nice season. Lets not forget teh guy wasn teve drafted out of college. I have seen both joe and simmons play, they may put up roughly similar stats but joe is easily the better player and worth the extra scrilla and the ristcted fa risk.

I don't know. Guys don't have seasons like that and the just fall off. This is the first season he got a starting position and decent minutes. Why would he not keep doing what he has been doing barring injury?

Not being critical, but we will not be able to resign Z, as well as sign Simmons and Dalembert. Bigs will get overpaid, especially untapped bigs like Dalembert. He will go for Boozer/Okur/Foyle dollars which is just too much. He'll likely flake away to be just a decent defensive presense.

Decisons, decisions. Which shooting guard to chase?

Then forget Dalembert. I don't really want him all that much anyway and don't really need him if we resign Z.

How much do think Simmons is going to be signed for? Probably 8 million a season. Z for 11 million. A decent pg 6 million? There goes all the money. Do you get MLE and 1 Million exceptions every year or do you only get them for one player on your roster? Like do we get MLE this year to use, or is that tied up with Traylor?

Simmons wont sign for 8 mill a year. If he is re upping with the clips, there is no way he signs for that much.

I dont think Z can be had for $10 mill. His agent is asking $14 and I think the $10 offer has been made already. I think the cheapest realistic price you're going to resign Z is $12 mill starting. The guy is an all-star center and really gives a huge advantage over some teams. Z will be able to get that kind of money from somewhere if Gilbert isn't willing to fork it over. (I mean guys like Adonal Foyle got huge contracts in FA last year)

As for JJ, I think it depends on what the Suns do this post-season. The farther they make it, the less likely they're going to let JJ go I think. This is the first season that they have been contenders since Charles Barkley left, I don't see them breaking that up because of Luxury Tax. Sure they got Amare, Nash, and Marion to worry about, but thats the price you pay for having them, and if you were the Suns, would you resign JJ?

Simmons might be easier to lure away, who wants to play on the clippers anyhow? Redd might come too. We'll have to see how much money Milwaukee is willing to throw at him. They had him last year and did nothing. If they use all their money to resign the guy, they're stuck in the same position they've been in.

Allen is kind of in the same boat as JJ. Seattle will have the money to resign him. The good news is that Seattle has faltered a bit and look no where near as good now as they did halfway through the season, again we'll have to see in the playoffs. If we somehow end up with Allen and Z, you gotta be talking championship runs in the next couple years, because those pieces are pretty much peaking now and have no where to go but down.

Also the MLE, do the Cavs have one this year or not? I guess it depends on the new CBA, but I've been hearing that we for some reason don't have the MLE this year?

I know people are afraid of Simmons because he played well in a contract year but as an all-around player, I see him as a better player than Redd. Obviously, Redd is a star and more prolific offensively. But he's not the defender, hustler, athlete or engine that Simmons is.

The problem with teams like Phoenix and Seattle is that with their success, every team in the league is going to think OFFENSE and only think OFFENSE, in efforts of making their own offensive juggernaut. But most teams who try to go down the road of "We'll score 100ppg" are going to fail. Cleveland needs to think defense first. You have to be unique as a team to become a winner as an offensive juggernaut. If it were that easy, every team would just stockpile scorers in hopes of outscoring the opposition. But it's never that easy.

Dungong said:
I dont think Z can be had for $10 mill. His agent is asking $14 and I think the $10 offer has been made already. I think the cheapest realistic price you're going to resign Z is $12 mill starting. The guy is an all-star center and really gives a huge advantage over some teams. Z will be able to get that kind of money from somewhere if Gilbert isn't willing to fork it over. (I mean guys like Adonal Foyle got huge contracts in FA last year)

As for JJ, I think it depends on what the Suns do this post-season. The farther they make it, the less likely they're going to let JJ go I think. This is the first season that they have been contenders since Charles Barkley left, I don't see them breaking that up because of Luxury Tax. Sure they got Amare, Nash, and Marion to worry about, but thats the price you pay for having them, and if you were the Suns, would you resign JJ?

Simmons might be easier to lure away, who wants to play on the clippers anyhow? Redd might come too. We'll have to see how much money Milwaukee is willing to throw at him. They had him last year and did nothing. If they use all their money to resign the guy, they're stuck in the same position they've been in.

Allen is kind of in the same boat as JJ. Seattle will have the money to resign him. The good news is that Seattle has faltered a bit and look no where near as good now as they did halfway through the season, again we'll have to see in the playoffs. If we somehow end up with Allen and Z, you gotta be talking championship runs in the next couple years, because those pieces are pretty much peaking now and have no where to go but down.

Also the MLE, do the Cavs have one this year or not? I guess it depends on the new CBA, but I've been hearing that we for some reason don't have the MLE this year?

The MLE is just that, an exception to the salary cap. Its means that any team over the cap can offer any player a contract equal to the average NBA salary. The Cavs are not over the cap and do not have the MLE to use.

About Simmons... I like Simmons, but as I've said before, I doubt he will be significantly cheaper than someone like JJ. A number of teams are looking for that type of player and will be prepared to pay Simmons a similar amount as they would a guy like JJ. Simmons should be cheaper, but not by a huge amount like some people might think. Look at what happened last year when teams wanted big men... look at what guys like Boozer, Okur, and Foyle got.

About Dalembert... forget it. I'd love to have this guy and think he would fit in very well here. But he is restricted, and if you're Philly, you have to consider him part of your long-term core. I would expect them to match any offers.

About the MLE... technically, you do not have to be over the cap to use it. Of course, it is pointless to use if you are far under the cap. But, for example, if you were just $2m under the cap, you could use the MLE to sign a player to a $5m deal. HOWEVER, the MLE and other exceptions count towards the cap until you either use them or renounce them. The Cavs will do the latter. So no, we will not have an MLE.

Mad Hatter said:
About Simmons... I like Simmons, but as I've said before, I doubt he will be significantly cheaper than someone like JJ. A number of teams are looking for that type of player and will be prepared to pay Simmons a similar amount as they would a guy like JJ. Simmons should be cheaper, but not by a huge amount like some people might think. Look at what happened last year when teams wanted big men... look at what guys like Boozer, Okur, and Foyle got.

About Dalembert... forget it. I'd love to have this guy and think he would fit in very well here. But he is restricted, and if you're Philly, you have to consider him part of your long-term core. I would expect them to match any offers.

About the MLE... technically, you do not have to be over the cap to use it. Of course, it is pointless to use if you are far under the cap. But, for example, if you were just $2m under the cap, you could use the MLE to sign a player to a $5m deal. HOWEVER, the MLE and other exceptions count towards the cap until you either use them or renounce them. The Cavs will do the latter. So no, we will not have an MLE.

The Cavs are so far under the Cap they will not recieve the MLE so they have nothing to renounce. The league tallys up the team's salary and factors in all exceptions if that number is less then the salary cap then that team does not recieve any exceptions for that year.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."