• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Sources: Nets, Nuggets reach agreement; now it's up to Carmelo Anthony to say yes

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
This is an incredibly dumb trade for the Nets. I only hope the Cavs can get involved and cash in on the stupidity.

so if this goes down and denver wants to give us a pick or two to absorb murphy, does it mean we have to match his salary for the entire year (11+ mil) or would we only have to match what he has left? just wondering how much of the tpe we would have left

Woj was just on Rome saying Melo's camp is disappointed with what Knicks are offering for him. He's considering signing the extension with the Nets and he wants the max money. NY can't do that even if they wait.
If they are disappointed they are idiots. They should be trying to get the best post-trade team possible. Instead it seems like they want to stroke Melo's ego by getting the best package in return....

so if this goes down and denver wants to give us a pick or two to absorb murphy, does it mean we have to match his salary for the entire year (11+ mil) or would we only have to match what he has left? just wondering how much of the tpe we would have left
entire salary.

A few things I love about this

1. We could get Murphy, who is an expiring contract THIS YEAR, and a 1st round or 2 just for contributing to...
2. The stupidity of the Nets making this deal, which would lock them into the 6th-8th seed for the next 6-7 years.
3. I'm gonna steal this from something I read, but Carmelo is making "The Decision" look well executed and thoughtful.

How is this dumb for NJ? You're getting Carmelo Anthony. This is a superstar's league, and Melo is one of maybe 10 superstars out there. He's only 26. Not to mention, this move would be more about next year and the year after than this year for NJ.

B/C you have Melo, Lopez...and that's it. They'll have no rebounding, no draft picks, nothing. They're essentially giving up 5 first rounders if you include Favors.

B/C you have Melo, Lopez...and that's it. They'll have no rebounding, no draft picks, nothing. They're essentially giving up 5 first rounders if you include Favors.

And if they don't make the trade, they will have Lopez and a bunch of first round picks that you hope that you can find players 1/2 as good as Carmelo. The Nets aren't really in a great situation either way.

So Murphy plus picks to Cleveland for the TPE. Seattle/OKC landed 2 1st rounders and Kurt Thomas' expiring contract for Cap space so I can see 2 1st being in play here. :thumbup:

Makes sense to me and that's the kind of deal the Cavaliers should be trying to find.

And if they don't make the trade, they will have Lopez and a bunch of first round picks that you hope that you can find players 1/2 as good as Carmelo. The Nets aren't really in a great situation either way.

If you suck shit, you get a higher pick. Right now, I believe they're top 5. If I'm running that team, I'm not giving up 4 fucking first round picks plus Favors, your best young player, for Carmelo Anthony.

And BTW, Lopez has been the suck this season. I think Samardo Samuels is averaging more rebounds than he is.

The Nets will have Billups as well. Certainly they will have little depth, but there's no guarantee any of those draft picks turn out to be any good, and they are HEAVILY protected. Not sure if it was here or somewhere else that I read how heavily protected the picks were, but they are quite heavily protected.

Here is the deal on the picks:

The Rockets' is lottery protected until 2016. In 2017 it becomes a 2nd round pick.
The Warriors' is top 7 protected for 2 years, and then top 6 protected. It then becomes a 2014 2nd round pick and a 2016 2nd round pick.
The Lakers is top 18 protected this year (so really no protection, since the Lakers won't fall that far).

So really you have the potential of the Nuggets getting two first rounders and three second rounders out of the deal.

The Cavs would be smart to demand the Nets pick this year in exchange for trading the TPE for Murphy.

Why do people keep saying we should trade our TPE for Murphy and a pick? Isn't Murphy an expiring contract? If so, why would they trade him and a pick for the TPE? Just to save some money for the rest of this season? I doubt it.

When they meet with him, the Nets likely will pitch him on their global reach with Prokhorov’s influence, and the fact they’re building a franchise around Anthony in his hometown.

Uh, we tried that approach. It doesn't work with egomaniacs.

Why do people keep saying we should trade our TPE for Murphy and a pick? Isn't Murphy an expiring contract? If so, why would they trade him and a pick for the TPE? Just to save some money for the rest of this season? I doubt it.

Yes for Denver to save money. Not only that, I believe if a team doesn't sign him he's still on their books for a year after that.

If they are disappointed they are idiots. They should be trying to get the best post-trade team possible. Instead it seems like they want to stroke Melo's ego by getting the best package in return....

You just don't get it. Melo wants to play for the Knicks, but Denver WILL NOT pull the trigger unless NYK offer what they want. Melo wants max money.

The Nets will have Billups as well. Certainly they will have little depth, but there's no guarantee any of those draft picks turn out to be any good, and they are HEAVILY protected. Not sure if it was here or somewhere else that I read how heavily protected the picks were, but they are quite heavily protected.

Here is the deal on the picks:

The Rockets' is lottery protected until 2016. In 2017 it becomes a 2nd round pick.
The Warriors' is top 7 protected for 2 years, and then top 6 protected. It then becomes a 2014 2nd round pick and a 2016 2nd round pick.
The Lakers is top 18 protected this year (so really no protection, since the Lakers won't fall that far).

So really you have the potential of the Nuggets getting two first rounders and three second rounders out of the deal.

The Cavs would be smart to demand the Nets pick this year in exchange for trading the TPE for Murphy.

I'd roll the dice with the Warriors' pick (Right now at 11-- I know that means nothing) and demand a Nets pick as well.

because the tpe doesnt have a huge amount of value this year, so getting a no 1 (i doubt it will be the nets 2011, more likely houston 2012 and a second rounder) and then adding troy murphy who can expire is a pretty good deal

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."