• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

BYU Suspends starting SF for the Rest of the Year

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is BYU Right in Suspending Him?

• Yes, That's the Rule and I'm glad a Big Time Program Stood up and Enforced the Rules

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Dumb Rule, Dumb Decision, Completely Unrealistic

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Dumb Rule but had to Follow It

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

Phills14

Cleveland Sports Fan
Staff member
Reaction score
Brandon Davies of BYU was suspended for violating the honor code. Right move by BYU?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6172760

BYU's potential Final Four chances were dealt a significant blow when starting forward Brandon Davies was dismissed Tuesday from the team for the remainder of the season for a violation of the school's honor code.

The sophomore was a vital member of BYU's frontcourt and was instrumental in helping contain San Diego State's forwards during the Cougars' 80-67 victory at a sold-out Viejas Arena on Saturday. Davies, who started 26 of 29 games for the Cougars, averaged 11.1 points and a team-leading 6.2 rebounds.

BYU released a statement Tuesday night that the university became aware of the violation of the honor code Monday. The school said in the release that since the violation just occurred, decisions on Davies' future with the team and in school are still undetermined.

School officials said coach Dave Rose would address the issue following Wednesday's game against New Mexico.

Davies was one of Jimmer Fredette's favorite targets in the post, ran the floor well and gave the Cougars length and size inside.

BYU (27-2, 13-1 in the MWC) is ranked No. 3 in the ESPN/USA Today coaches' poll and was put on the No. 1 seed line out West in Joe Lunardi's latest bracketology on ESPN.com Monday.

Davies played 27 minutes in the win over the Aztecs, scoring four points and grabbing six boards and coming up with one block. Davies was capable of breakout performances on a team led by the national player of the year favorite in Fredette.

Davies scored 20 points and grabbed nine rebounds in a win over Wyoming in Laramie on Feb. 2. Davies, a 6-foot-9 forward, had two key double-doubles for the Cougars at UNLV (15 points, 10 rebounds) and against Colorado State (14 points, 15 rebounds).

Davies was a prized local recruit for the Cougars, playing in Provo, Utah.

Davies' departure means the Cougars will have to make a major adjustment inside with 6-8 Stephen Rogers and seldom-used 6-10 James Anderson. The move means Rose might have to shift to the 6-5 Charles Abouo to power forward and go with a smaller lineup.

According to a member of the BYU basketball staff, the plan is likely to go small and continue to push the tempo to exploit BYU's ability to run and get more shots for Fredette.

San Diego State coach Steve Fisher called the Cougars one of the best running teams in the country and now, without Davies, the Cougars will likely try to be even more effective on the break. The problem is that Davies ran the court exceptionally well for BYU as a big.

"It's unfortunate. I feel bad for BYU," Fisher said.

"Wow," said San Diego State forward Malcolm Thomas, who wasn't aware of the dismissal until told by reporters after the Aztecs' victory Tuesday at Wyoming. "He's a big-time player, and without him, they're still a good team. They're still going to make a run."

The Cougars do have more of a face-up shooting forward in Noah Hartsock, who may have to go inside even more now that Davies isn't on the roster. Jackson Emery, a shooter, will be called upon to rebound more effectively, as well.

The Cougars were already down a big man when Chris Collinsworth was lost for the season with a knee injury in mid-January.

BYU wraps up its regular season against Wyoming on Saturday

BYU has had a strict policy of enforcing the honor code. This past football season, running back Harvey Unga was suspended for a violation of the honor code. The BYU honor code statement, from the BYU undergraduate handbook, consists of:

• Be honest
• Live a chaste and virtuous life
• Obey the law and all campus policies
• Use clean language
• Respect others
• Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse
• Participate regularly in church services
• Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
• Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code

Did I really just read that drinking coffee or tea is a violation?

He was arrested by Campus police at Carribou Coffee ordering a Vente, clearly violating the Schools honor code.

i would guess he got drunk/high and banged a whole butt load of chicks and one of the girls regretted it and knew how to get back at him... just a guess.

He was arrested by Campus police at Carribou Coffee ordering a Vente, clearly violating the Schools honor code.

Can we just agree that people who hang out at StarBucks/Carribou coffee are douches?

Let me know what he did before I call it dumb. And don't tell me he violated the honor code. Tell me what part of it was violated.

Davies knocked up his girlfriend by the way...

You skewed your poll... The kid new the rules new the code and made a choice. He is being held accountable, I don't care what people say about him being raised by a Mormon family, and that there may have been a ton of pressure on him to go to BYU and that maybe he didn't have a whole lot of choice... maybe he violated the rules to get out to get a transfer. No matter what if you know the rules and agree to accept them then you understand the what will happen when you break them.

I know most of you won't agree with that, but being a former Marine that is the way military service was. I didn't agree with a lot of the bullshit rules, but I knew to get the future I wanted I had to accept the rules follow them or break them and suffer the consequences .

It would be a whole different story if they implemented the rules with out anyone knowing or half way through.

Davies knocked up his girlfriend by the way...

I wasn't allowed to finish my Senior year at my private Catholic highshcool for the same reason, and the girl didn't even go to our school. They had removed females who got preggers, so i expected it to happen when I got my ex knocked up.

The premise of the poll is that he knew the rules and this honor code. Many of the rules on this honor code seem outdated in today's society. I want to know where people stand...

either
1. I'm glad the university has the balls to stand up and say there is an infraction and we will punish the kid, his team and the university because of it.
2. BYU is backwards and the kid shouldn't be suspended for the year
3. It's a rule, abiet a bad one, and they still have to follow it.

The premise of the poll is that he knew the rules and this honor code. Many of the rules on this honor code seem outdated in today's society. I want to know where people stand...

I can't see how I can fairly answer this poll without knowing the exact rule he broke and what he did to break it. Then, I can decide if it was fair or not. Not everything is black and white.

The rules are bullshit. Period. Mormon or not. Bullshit.

Use clean language
• Respect others
• Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse
• Participate regularly in church services

Respect others? Isn't that a manner of opinion? Who's opinion counts?

No tea or coffee? What kind of bullshit religion is this anyway?

What does "regular" church actually mean? Each week? Every two weeks? I could claim that going once per month on a regular basis is regular.

My respect for BYU just took a major, major hit.

Doug, that's the thing. Many of the bulleted items are rather nebulous.

Use clean language - What words are included? What if you say "damn" or "shit" once? Should you be kicked off campus?

Be honest & Respect others - What if your opinion was asked about something like someone's outfit, their looks, a college project, anything that would be important enough that it might upset someone if you didn't like it. But, in fact you don't. If you tell them they look good or their project is great, you are in fact breaking the "be honest" rule. If you tell them they look terrible or their project is really poorly done, it might be taken as disrespectful. Thus, violating a different rule. I know this might sound trite. But, rules like this allow those who make the rules to administer them however they see fit. Not always even handed.

Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code - That's one of my favorites. Think about it. If you didn't help to stop another student from breaking a rule, you might well find yourself out the door too. If you don't like some of the rules. Taking any action or discussing how some of the rules are wrong could be considered a violation of this rule. If taken to an extreme, it could almost be considered cult like.

If I were the parent of a kid who got ousted under these types of rules, I'd be suing the school as soon as possible.

Did this kid get suspended from playing ball and from school because he had a cup of tea?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."