• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Sullinger vows to return next year

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

layneroxxx

Rockstar Status
Reaction score
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news;_ylt=AiqARV0VS1A_tGHlZEpJj4c5nYcB?slug=rivals-1204651

NEWARK, N.J. - Jared Sullinger’s dreams of a national title were gone with Ohio State’s 62-60 loss to Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament’s Sweet 16 Friday night.

The freshman big man didn’t hesitate committing to trying again next year.

“I’ll be in an Ohio State uniform next year,” Sullinger said. “I don’t like the look in people’s eyes and I didn’t like the taste of losing. If I made a decision about next year, it would be off of a win, not a loss.”
AdChoices

Despite the fact the freshman big man scored a game-high 21 points and grabbed 16 rebounds - recording double-double No. 18 of the season - Sullinger said he felt like he let his team down.

The No. 1 overall seed and favorite to win the NCAA Tournament, Ohio State’s William Buford missed a shot as time expired that would have sent the Buckeyes to the win.

Instead, Ohio State fell in the Sweet 16 for the second-consecutive year.

“I know he didn’t like the taste that came in his mouth today,” Sullinger said of Buford, who finished the game 2-of-16 from the floor. “To see him in tears, Will isn’t an emotional type of guy. It just shows he cares about this basketball team and loves this basketball team.”

Sullinger admitted he’d work on Buford to return next season alongside with him. Both players are projected to be selections in this year’s NBA Draft.

When it comes to Sullinger in particular, the 6-foot-9 freshman seemed to be the latest one-and-done player at Ohio State under head coach Thad Matta. Projected as a high lottery pick, Sullinger’s return to Ohio State would mean forgoing the big pay day that comes with being a high pick in the NBA Draft.

Matta has lost five players to the NBA Draft after spending just one season in Columbus, including freshmen Greg Oden, Mike Conley Jr., and Daequan Cook after Ohio State’s run to the Final Four in 2006.

With Sullinger, though, Matta said he knew he wouldn’t be the latest player to jumper early to the NBA after only one season in Columbus.

“He told me from day-one he’d be back for two years,” Matta said. “He said, ‘Draw me up a contract, whatever you want me to do, I’ll sign it.’”

Sullinger has described himself as a winner since arriving on campus at Ohio State. The loss to the Wildcats certainly didn’t sit well with the freshman.

It was the time he spent with the Buckeyes this season, however, that made the most compelling case for the freshman to return.

“The love for this basketball team makes me want to come back,” Sullinger said. “To see five of them depart from us is very touching. I am going to miss these guys terribly. I feel like I let them down today. I want to come back and show them I had a lapse, but I can do better.”

After a loss like the one Sullinger sustained Friday night, it is only natural to be skeptical that he’d keep his word and stay for his sophomore season.

Sullinger doesn’t take it as a loose promise.

“I’m a man of my word,” he said. “I won’t change my mind for anybody. This is what I want. This is where I’m happy. I’m happy being an Ohio State Buckeye and playing for Coach Matta.”

I like it but Mike Conley said the same thing. Let's see what he does when millions of guaranteed dollars are staring him in the face.

Craft, Scott, Buford, Thomas, Sully is still a pretty good. Need another big guy though.

Michigan and Purdue are going to be the favorites in the B10 though.

Still heartbroken over last night, this team was special. Every year it seems like Matta chokes in big games.

Lighty and Diebler were the engines that made this team go. They'll be sorely missed next season. Anyone know anything about tOSU's recruiting class?

Lighty and Diebler were the engines that made this team go. They'll be sorely missed next season. Anyone know anything about tOSU's recruiting class?

yea its pretty good class next year...

http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&yr=2011

2# C -- Amir Williams -- 6-9/210 http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p=8&c=1&nid=3613219
7# PG -- Shannon Scott -- 6-1/180 http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p=8&c=1&nid=3908339
15# SF -- Sam Thompson -- 6-6/180 http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p=8&c=1&nid=3743239
16# SF -- LaQuinton Ross -- 6-7/185 http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p=8&c=1&nid=3226343
15# C -- Trey McDonald -- 6-9/230 http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p=8&c=1&nid=4459443

I like it but Mike Conley said the same thing. Let's see what he does when millions of guaranteed dollars are staring him in the face.

Craft, Scott, Buford, Thomas, Sully is still a pretty good. Need another big guy though.

Michigan and Purdue are going to be the favorites in the B10 though.

Still heartbroken over last night, this team was special. Every year it seems like Matta chokes in big games.

I disagree, I think this is the first year that OSU had a chance since Oden/Conely.

I disagree, I think this is the first year that OSU had a chance since Oden/Conely.

They were a 2-seed last year and had an easy road to the final four after Kansas lost to Northern Iowa.

Lost to a worse Tennessee team.

Williams is going to be a stud next to Sullinger.

Williams is going to be a stud next to Sullinger.

Huh? I thought Williams was 6'10" or 6'11"? The other center is also 6'9"? geez; so we have a couple more undersized centers coming in. Not good. Putting it this way, if Sully doesn't come back we are lucky to be middle of the pack in the big ten next year. I thought the new centers were taller than this.

I'm not counting on either Buford or Sullinger to be back until May 8th comes and goes. These kids ALWAYS say they will be back right after the loss. Would they actually answer the question "will you be back" by saying "nope, I'm NBA bound" immediately after a loss?

Huh? I thought Williams was 6'10" or 6'11"? The other center is also 6'9"? geez; so we have a couple more undersized centers coming in. Not good. Putting it this way, if Sully doesn't come back we are lucky to be middle of the pack in the big ten next year. I thought the new centers were taller than this.

I'm not counting on either Buford or Sullinger to be back until May 8th comes and goes. These kids ALWAYS say they will be back right after the loss. Would they actually answer the question "will you be back" by saying "nope, I'm NBA bound" immediately after a loss?

I thought Williams was 6'10. I wouldn't flip out about the difference between 6'9 and 6'10....I've seen him listed at 6'10.

And no, they wouldnt say that, but they might go, "Oh, I dont know, I'm going to have some thinking to do..." or some ambiguous crap.

He is 6'10. First time I've ever seen him listed as otherwise. Thompson on fast breaks will be insane.

If OSU has Sullinger back next year they're going to have everyone on the roster from two consecutive top three recruiting classes. They won't be middle of the pack in the Big 10 next year. They'll be top five in the country with a chance to be even better than this year's team.

Well, if true, this kinda screws the Cavs.

Not saying they're planning to take Sullinger, but that just pulls one more guy out the queue, making one less player available by the time our Clippers pick rolls around.

“I’m absolutely set,” Conley said. “I know what I want to do and that’s come back and play another year.”

Let's wait and see.

Conley certainly sounded like Sully does now. I think Conley has stated since then that he wishes he would have stayed another year. He knows now that he could have used the extra year. Maybe Sully will consult with some of these current players as well? Of course, if the money isn't as important to him as it is to others, then he may be back. I think money rules most one year college kids if it's thrown at them.

Conley certainly sounded like Sully does now. I think Conley has stated since then that he wishes he would have stayed another year. He knows now that he could have used the extra year. Maybe Sully will consult with some of these current players as well? Of course, if the money isn't as important to him as it is to others, then he may be back. I think money rules most one year college kids if it's thrown at them.

The one major difference to me is that Sullinger has pretty much known since his senior year of high school that he would be a high lotto (top 7) pick whenever he decided to declare. If he continues to improve his body, loses some more weight without losing his strength, and continues to develop his midrange jumper, its not out of the question that he could go higher in 2012 than he would go in 2011.

Conley certainly never expected to go 4th overall a year after he first stepped foot onto OSU campus. I don't think his stock was ever going to be any higher coming off his performances in the 07 tournament. The money was there and he took it and ran. Hard for me to blame him for that.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."