• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Minor League Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Seriously though, he comes back what is he in the lineup? #6? I don't really see any other spot for him.

I see this as a huge issue if Brantley continues to get on base and play well, and the Indians continue to win series, etc until he comes back. The problem comes because Sizemore WANTS to lead-off. I fear Acta will allow him to do that. It sucks. I'm not sure if either one of them thinks about the fact that it might screw things up or even if it's what's best for the team.

In my mind, he either bats 6th or 7th or 9th. Our first five are doing great right now;

Brantley
A Cabrera
Choo
Santana
Hafner

Well, we know Choo is going to hit and is our best hitter. We can't afford to change up what is working if we are at least winning series for the next two weeks when he comes back.

I am worried about this. Heck, I don't even like the idea of Sizemore in CF. That rifle arm of his always strikes fear in the baserunners.

I still think move Sizemore to LF and bat 6. The Lineup will have minimal change, but improve greatly.

You usually want your weakest arm in center compared to the corner OF spots, so Grady playing CF is not an issue for me assuming he still has the speed.

As of right now, I would hit Grady 6th.

• When Grady comes back, he goes to CF- Tribe said this at the beginning of spring training. Why? B/c with the repaired knee, running isn't the issue, sharp cuts and sudden stop and pivots are. CF requires much less of these sharp cuts than a corner OFer, who has to do just this on balls hit into the corners. He goes to CF when he comes back.
  • If Brantley is hitting still hitting well when Grady is ready, he slides to LF, Kearns goes back to the bench and Travis Buck probably gets waived. Not really a complex situation, unless Buck suddenly starts raking- and even then it would be him or Duncan.
  • Went over this in the other thread- putting Grady's skillset in the lower half of the lineup is wasting his ability. The lowest he goes in the lineup is 2nd- bump Asdrubal and his .281 OBP down to 6th. He can then sacrifice bunt to his heart's content with guys like Grady, Choo, and Hafner on the bases ahead of him.
  • And yes, I think Grady will come back and do well. Microfracture surgery has come a long way in the last decade since it was introduced, and I don't see why a 26 year old Amare Stoudamire can come back from it with a similar level of athleticism while 26 year old Sizemore, playing a much less demanding sport, cannot. Barring a reinjury I think we see a return of Grady.
  • Really, why are folks so obsessed with Cabrera? He looks good in spurts, but apart from half a season in 09 he is a .700 OPS guy. In fact, I would go so far as to say he is like a lighter version of Orlando Cabrera in his prime. And that isn't a shabby ballplayer with the bat- but it sure as hell isn't Grady Sizemore. The discussion around him just reminds me of Browns fans when they get a good cornerback- the fans quickly overrate said player, elevating them to 'one of the best corners in the league'.
  • Grady isn't being traded anytime soon, get this stupid idea out of your heads. If he sucks, no one is going to take him. If he hits, he is STILL a bargain at his pay level. Unless another team gets stupid with their offer he is going to be here. Victor Martinez's situation isn't a good comp, at least not yet.

Asdrubal Cabrera is a player I like a lot. Having said that, there should be no issue moving him down to 6th and putting Sizemore at 2nd.

Asdrubal Cabrera is a player I like a lot. Having said that, there should be no issue moving him down to 6th and putting Sizemore at 2nd.

No chance they hit three lefties all together at the top of lineup. I don't think Cabrera is great or anything, but he is a solid player and is a perfect 2 hitter. Can bunt, move runners, doesn't strike out much. If anyone is perfect for the 2 spot, it is Cabrera. I would rather see Grady hit 1st than I would see him hit 2nd.

• When Grady comes back, he goes to CF- Tribe said this at the beginning of spring training. Why? B/c with the repaired knee, running isn't the issue, sharp cuts and sudden stop and pivots are. CF requires much less of these sharp cuts than a corner OFer, who has to do just this on balls hit into the corners. He goes to CF when he comes back.
  • If Brantley is hitting still hitting well when Grady is ready, he slides to LF, Kearns goes back to the bench and Travis Buck probably gets waived. Not really a complex situation, unless Buck suddenly starts raking- and even then it would be him or Duncan.
  • Went over this in the other thread- putting Grady's skillset in the lower half of the lineup is wasting his ability. The lowest he goes in the lineup is 2nd- bump Asdrubal and his .281 OBP down to 6th. He can then sacrifice bunt to his heart's content with guys like Grady, Choo, and Hafner on the bases ahead of him.
  • And yes, I think Grady will come back and do well. Microfracture surgery has come a long way in the last decade since it was introduced, and I don't see why a 26 year old Amare Stoudamire can come back from it with a similar level of athleticism while 26 year old Sizemore, playing a much less demanding sport, cannot. Barring a reinjury I think we see a return of Grady.
  • Really, why are folks so obsessed with Cabrera? He looks good in spurts, but apart from half a season in 09 he is a .700 OPS guy. In fact, I would go so far as to say he is like a lighter version of Orlando Cabrera in his prime. And that isn't a shabby ballplayer with the bat- but it sure as hell isn't Grady Sizemore. The discussion around him just reminds me of Browns fans when they get a good cornerback- the fans quickly overrate said player, elevating them to 'one of the best corners in the league'.
  • Grady isn't being traded anytime soon, get this stupid idea out of your heads. If he sucks, no one is going to take him. If he hits, he is STILL a bargain at his pay level. Unless another team gets stupid with their offer he is going to be here. Victor Martinez's situation isn't a good comp, at least not yet.

Gimmie Some Mo already said it, but you're forgetting that
1. Asdrubal puts the ball in play
2. Sizemore is a strikeout machine.

While I'm not 100% advocating for Sizemore to bat 6th, I do think Asdrubal is a perfect #2 hitter. Should be interesting to see how it plays out

I want Sizemore 7th. When Hafner gets hurt, move him to 5th.

Don't mess with 1-4 right now.

I've heard grumblings that Rendon may slip a few spots, just because the pitching talent is so great. Doubt he'd fall to 8, but he could slip to 5.

Too bad the Rays can't package together 3 of their 100000 first round picks to move up.

EDIT: There are quite a few legit hitting prospects. Bubba Starling, Levi Michael, Mikie Mahtook just to name a few.

I have a buddy who's a Pirates fan. I've been telling him for months they could go with Gerrit Cole.

He's legit 94-96 with a power slider at 87. I saw him during Team USA last summer and he was unreal, along with Bradley the two best players on that team.

Mahtook was on that team as well, and he's a very good player but I don't think he's a superstar type prospect by any means.

Levi Michael is a little more intriguing, if he can stay at shortstop he could be a legitimate prospect. I don't think he's a shortstop though, although I've seen plenty of reports which think he can stick there.

One guy I forgot about was Francisco Lindor, the switch hitting high school shortstop. Best hands in the draft, definitely will stay at shortstop and his offense has really come on strong this year.

He and Jackie Bradley are my two offensive prospects at #8, if they don't want either one of them....Go with the ridiculous pitching depth. Matt Barnes, Jed Bradley, ect.

macdog; I don't understand this obsession you have with Sizemore. He's only been an average player for a few years now. I don't see that changing no matter how healthy his knee is. I also don't get your reasoning as to why you want to change up a lineup and chemistry that has been playing real well to this point.

The only reasons we might see Sizemore leading off when he comes back is because Sizemore wanted his way and Acta is giving him his way as he didn't want to see a grown man whine about it. No reason would be able to conclude that it's best for the TEAM for Sizemore to be leading off OR bat 2nd.

+1

Cord Phelps continues his hot hitting with 2 home runs today in AAA.

Grady had the day off in Akron, but is scheduled to play the next two consecutive games. Jason Donald plays his first game in Akron. Paul Hoynes speculates that Joe Smith may rejoin the Indians on their next home stand.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."