• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

What are the Cavs going to do at C?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
We are going to have to draft one in future years. Because we wasted the #4 pick this year, wasted the trade exception, and didn't get much of anything for Hickson, it added a couple more years of sucking for us to have a chance of developing a contending team anyway.

We are going to have to draft one in future years. Because we wasted the #4 pick this year, wasted the trade exception, and didn't get much of anything for Hickson, it added a couple more years of sucking for us to have a chance of developing a contending team anyway.

That's why I tried to provide what the College ranks seem to have, and who seems to be future FA's. And assuming they know what they are doing and have a rhyme and reason (including sucking as DG clearly could have bought a team of potential guys who never panned out this year and got an 8 seed] down the line. That is what I hoped people got out of the point of this thread as it started in the JJ trade tread, is assuming we compete how do we address the 5 spot based on our 4 spot, and seeming direction?

So what would your ideal depth chart be Next year in retrospect? When it actually matters an we may start to contend?

As far as the #4 pick: Let's let him and the other rookies play a season or two before we evaluate them, maybe?

As far as the TPE: Did ANY team utilize their trade exceptions? No. Perhaps they weren't as valuable right now because teams are so unsure of what the new CBA will bring. And you don't use it just to use it, I doubt there was anything that good out there for it. Finally, it's possible we are granted the extension with it still.

As far as Hickson: The Cavs shopped him for SIX weeks, and this was the best offer. Obviously GM's around the league don't value him very much, and see the MANY flaws in his game that most of us fans see. It's a good thing we got the trade in before the lockout, cuz it's very possible that was our last chance to trade him before free agency. Casspi + mid-1st round pick (some time in the next 1-6 years) is better than letting him walk.

I think Festus Ezeli breaks out as one of the most NBA ready prospects after this season at Vandy. He has the size and surprisingly good footwork and patience in the post to go with it. Tough defender with a passion for the game and NBA dreams, from interviews he seems like Grant's kind of "good human". Call me crazy but I'm all for drafting a Jr or Sr high in the draft. A lot of people think guys spend more time in college to become 2nd round role players, but if I'm hiring someone at my business you sure as hell better come in with some maturity and (life and basketball) experience from the struggles of college/real world. Plus you know Grant isn't bringing in some middle class American white boy like Zeller, he wants our multi-ethnic team holding hands singing We Are The World in the locker room before games.

That's why I tried to provide what the College ranks seem to have, and who seems to be future FA's. And assuming they know what they are doing and have a rhyme and reason (including sucking as DG clearly could have bought a team of potential guys who never panned out this year and got an 8 seed] down the line. That is what I hoped people got out of the point of this thread as it started in the JJ trade tread, is assuming we compete how do we address the 5 spot based on our 4 spot, and seeming direction?

So what would your ideal depth chart be Next year in retrospect? When it actually matters an we may start to contend?

We aren't going to sign any good free agent unless we severely overpay them, which means we don't have the cap room to do it this year anyway. Ideally I would like to win the lottery when Drummond comes out, but good luck with that. What we have to do is pretty simple. Don't sign any free agents this year, play Irving/Gee/Casspi/Thompson/Varejao and try to get something for Varejao. If we manage to move Varejao that team might not win 10 games, so that will give us a top 4 pick next year. Then you draft the best player available, which probably won't be a center. Once Irving leaves as a free agent we will be set up for another high lottery pick down the road. Maybe there will be a center out there then.

We aren't going to sign any good free agent unless we severely overpay them, which means we don't have the cap room to do it this year anyway. Ideally I would like to win the lottery when Drummond comes out, but good luck with that. What we have to do is pretty simple. Don't sign any free agents this year, play Irving/Gee/Casspi/Thompson/Varejao and try to get something for Varejao. If we manage to move Varejao that team might not win 10 games, so that will give us a top 4 pick next year. Then you draft the best player available, which probably won't be a center. Once Irving leaves as a free agent we will be set up for another high lottery pick down the road. Maybe there will be a center out there then.

You're ridiculous :chuckles:

Franchise center Ryan Hollins will do just fine.

381s2.jpg

Come on, man. Stop with the "sky is falling" crap.

1) You have no idea what TT will be.

2) The trade exception required someone to trade with us, and with the lockout looming, teams are hoping to have some sort of amnesty (thus making the TPE less attractive to them).

3) The Hickson trade is fine. A first-rounder and a young starter at SF for a PF who didn't play defense, was a black hole on offense and often played without effort? I'll take that every single time.

Franchise center Ryan Hollins will do just fine.

381s2.jpg

The sad thing is, if he actually worked hard he could be one of the best C's in the league. I forget which game it was- the Heat? He showed that he is capable of putting his athleticism and size together, as he is a freakish athlete. But, he probably is happy getting a few hundred grand playing on his wii and being another never-was.

Thanked for taking it serious sans the cynicism.

Wait til 2013 draft class.

This is why the TT pick upset me... Not so much because I think TT is a bad player or will be a bad player but because C is more important positionally and a lot harder to find...

The other thing that is very noticeable when looking at the 2012 & 2011 draft classes is that the strengths and weaknesses were the complete opposite of one another and if the Cavs played their cards right, they would be setting themselves up in a great position... The 2011 class was a strong center and point guard class while the wings and forwards were a bit weak... The 2012 class is a weak center and point guard class while it's excellent at the wing and forward positions... If the Cavs could have came away with Irving & a center that would be sitting in a lot better position then they currently are in my mind.. They're still in a position to grab a good wing player, that didn't matter either way, but taking a PF might hurt them... We'll see...

In addition to all of that: it's hard enough finding a good center but finding a center that compliments TT will be harder because TT possess the skill set of most centers... The centers that fit with TT are hard to come by and why I worry he might be relegated to a 3rd big man role which isn't bad but not what you fully expect at #4...

The 2012 class isn't going to producing any worthwhile centers, so it's likely the Cavs take a wing player and hope for Drummond in 2013...

Last edited:
Well, in fairness, this year the two teams that played for the championship had Joel Anthony and Tyson Chandler as starting centers. Anthony is listed at 6'9" and Chandler was a late offseason trade addition by the Mavs. The two teams they played in the conference finals had Varejao clone Joakim Noah and Kendrick Perkins (who was traded for mid-season) at C. While I still think they made a mistake picking Thompson instead of Valanciunas, there are lots of ways to get useful centers and not every center on a good team has to be 7' tall anyway.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. MIA was able to start Anthony because they have 3 stars (2 of which are top 3 players in the league), an opportunity that the Cavs will never have. Chandler's value was at a career low because he had been banged up for both of the two previous years and that's the only reason why such a difference maker was able to be had for a fairly cheap price.

Noah is better than Varejao and given the state of this team, AV is not a long-term option at center. OKC had to pay a pretty decent price for Perk (Green sucks, LAC pick is decent tho), whose value was also fairly low because 1) he was due for a contract and 2) he was coming off of knee surgery.

Basically, in the 4 cases you point out: 1 was drafted, 1 was only able to happen bc of the talent around him, and 2 were acquired via fairly risky trades when the players value was low.

Anyway as far the OP goes, I have no idea. Free agency is a longshot because free agents don't come to Cleveland unless they are overpaid and Cs ALREADY get a premium added to their contracts because of their position. Trades are a longshot because again, Cs come at a premium because of their position and the Cavs don't really have the assets to acquire one. They are left with the draft which is somewhat of a longshot too because quality C prospects don't come every year and when they do, they are typically taken early.

That's why I think they'll come to regret passing on Jonas. C is not going to be an easy position to fill if they hope to contend.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."