• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Differences between the European and NBA style of basketball

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RaptorFan

Basketbaaaaaaaaaalll
Reaction score
For those who don't know the difference

NBA
- Best player dominates the ball, and produces the most offense
- One on one basketball most of the time is generated through random offense (non playbook)
- NBA loves the athletic, fast leapers because of the basic philosophy that people have with their draft picks:
"that coaches can teach a player how to make a jump shot, make good passes, and so on, but you can’t teach a 40-inch vertical leap!"
- NBA coaches don't have that much influence on their players, except for a couple, why? because the players are paid more.

Europe
- If there if a one on one type of play, it's because its from the playbook/coaches' orders, even the most offensively talented basketball player averages below 20 ppg (see iverson, childress and jennings after their transition)
- Games are only 40 minutes long (NCAA type basketball)
- 3-point line is closer, therefore players don't have a lot of space to operate because of the cramped area inside, making isolation basketball very difficult.
- Athleticism is not a valued skill.
- European coaches have way more influence on their players because they are paid much more than the players and demand respect. (phil jackson is pretty much this though)

whats up miami "fans"
[video=youtube;QtQAJH_JoXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtQAJH_JoXM&feature=player_embedded[/video]

anyone else want to add? these are just my observations after raptorstv started to show euro-league games for a while, which i find are just as entertaining

Biggest difference:

NBA scrubs become superstars in the Euroleague.

Euroleague superstars become marginal/role players in the NBA.

NBA
- One on one basketball most of the time is generated through random offense (non playbook)
- NBA loves the athletic, fast leapers because of the basic philosophy that people have with their draft picks:
"that coaches can teach a player how to make a jump shot, make good passes, and so on, but you can’t teach a 40-inch vertical leap!"
- NBA coaches don't have that much influence on their players, except for a couple, why? because the players are paid more.

Europe
- If there if a one on one type of play, it's because its from the playbook/coaches' orders, even the most offensively talented basketball player averages below 20 ppg (see iverson, childress and jennings after their transition)
- 3-point line is closer, therefore players don't have a lot of space to operate because of the cramped area inside, making isolation basketball very difficult.
- European coaches have way more influence on their players because they are paid much more than the players and demand respect. (phil jackson is pretty much this though)

whats up miami "fans"
[video=youtube;QtQAJH_JoXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtQAJH_JoXM&feature=player_embedded[/video]

anyone else want to add? these are just my observations after raptorstv started to show euro-league games for a while, which i find are just as entertaining

If athleticism is not valued skill, then European clubs should lift the limit on how many American players can play on their team.

NBA

Europe

The fact that the 3-point line is closer doesn't allow the defense to clog the middle. If anything, it opens the floor up even more because the jump shots are easier so off-ball defenders will be more reluctant to leave their man. But you are right, it is a lot more cramped inside, and that's because there is no defensive 3 seconds, so big men can just sit in the lane for the whole shot clock on defense...

Oh, and I would also like to add, everyone points to the olympics and the last few years of international ball as proof that Europe and other countries are closing the gap on the U.S. Yet I offer up this explanation: The U.S. is still dominating (for the most part) in FIFA ball despite having to play by everyone else's rules. If any of these Euro teams came and played Team USA by NBA rules with NBA refs, it would literally be a 50+ point drubbing no matter if it was Spain, Argentina, or any other "powerhouse" Euro team...

The NBA has become the professional wrestling of basketball.

College ball and Euro ball are both purer representations of the game I love.

NBA = Major Leagues

Euroleague = AAA

NCAA = AA

European basketball is slower and they are allowed to play pure zones.

If any of these Euro teams came and played Team USA by NBA rules with NBA refs, it would literally be a 50+ point drubbing no matter if it was Spain, Argentina, or any other "powerhouse" Euro team...

You mean they'd get killed if they didn't have to deal with hand checking and big men clogging the lanes? I do agree about the ref part, because it'd be hard for them to get superstar calls...

I wish the NBA would fucking bring back hand checking and get rid of the Shaq rules. No more offensive fouls for displacing an opponent. Either no calls or if blatant make them blocking fouls. Just not a fan of seeing any mediocre guard with freakish athleticism becoming superstars mainly because of the rules.

AA of course is where teams send their true prospects, and AAA is for the guys who you hope might cut it eventually.

If athleticism is not valued skill, then European clubs should lift the limit on how many American players can play on their team.

i dont understand this, not all american players depend on athletic ability, for example brandon jennings, childress and earl boykins, just a few players who aren't known for their athletic ability, however there are some players over there who have a superb athletic build (james while, pop mensa bonsou, etc.) who are playing overseas, but do they average the most points of even the most important player on their team? not really, it goes to show that raw talent is not as important in the euro leagues rather than here in the NBA

i dont understand this, not all american players depend on athletic ability, for example brandon jennings, childress and earl boykins, just a few players who aren't known for their athletic ability, however there are some players over there who have a superb athletic build (james while, pop mensa bonsou, etc.) who are playing overseas, but do they average the most points of even the most important player on their team? not really, it goes to show that raw talent is not as important in the euro leagues rather than here in the NBA

You don't see the big picture? The NBA has the world's best basketball players and most of them are athletes that have skills. There are a few stiffs at the end of benches but for the majority, most are athletes. ALL LEAGUES around the world have some kind of limit on the number of "American" players they have on their team. Why is that? You're telling me a Europe team would rather develop 5 YMCA quality players who are superior in their passing and shooting than 5 all world athletes who are capable of shutting down those 5 YMCA quality athletes?

Also, Brandon Jennings, Jost Childress and Earl Boykins are supreme athletes. If you're gonna talk about players who are skilled and not know for their athletic abilities, then mention players like.....Adam Morrison? Maybe Jimmer Fredette? Mark Jackson? lol

Nba has been blending some European basketball concepts into their game while still allowing the players freedom to make plays.. I think that overall approach will win out in both leagues eventually

Also, Brandon Jennings, Jost Childress and Earl Boykins are supreme athletes. If you're gonna talk about players who are skilled and not know for their athletic abilities, then mention players like.....Adam Morrison? Maybe Jimmer Fredette? Mark Jackson? lol

Or Trajan Langdon? :)

In Euroball, you can touch the ball while it's above the cylinder. While in the NBA that would be goal tending or offensive interference.

Another difference with Euroball is that the cheerleader squad and/or dance team doesn't shave their legs and armpits.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."