• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Borderlands 2

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

KB

NBA Starter
Reaction score
This one is for X since he inadvertently talked me into buying the first Borderlands when there was thread for it.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/03/2k-confirms-borderlands-2-for-2012/

2K confirms Borderlands 2 for release within FY2013

2K’s formally announced, after yonks and donkeys of rumour and speculation, that Borderlands 2 is a real thing. Yes it is.

The game, which is on the front cover of the next issue of Game Informer, will be at gamescom in a week-and-a-half, as well as PAX Prime in Seattle.

Being developed by Gearbox – who else -BL2 will have new skills, characters, enemies, weapons, environments and equipment. It’s out in Take Two’s FY2013 for PS3, 360 and PC. Here’s the official website.

It comes as Eurogamer published a report yesterday citing a reveal was about to happen. Indeed it has.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/08/borderlands-2-weapons-differentiated-more/

Borderlands 2 weapons differentiated, more

Some new details have emerged out of the Game Informer cover story of Borderlands 2.

A post over at Gearbox’s forums reveals that each manufacturer in the game will have their own unique visual style. This will be done to enable players to easily identify a weapons manufacturer and its quality. No manufacturer will carry the same looking gun.

NPCs in the game will be fully animated and will be able to move around their locations interacting with objects. Gearbox plans to make four seats standard for all vehicles, and class mods and artifacts will be making a comeback.

Borderlands 2′s skill tree will be maintaining the three-branch system, and will have more defined abilities rather than simple stat boosts. However, it is unknown how many skills will occupy each branch.

Gearbox also mentioned two Gunzerker skills: one increases the fire rate of any weapon the longer the trigger is held down, and the second increases accuracy with same class weapons, or doubles damage for different class weapons while dual-wielding.

You can read previously released details from the GI cover story over here.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/06/borderlands-2-to-have-improved-ai-dynamic-missions-new-characters/

Borderlands 2 – Details from Game Informer issue

Details on Borderlands 2 are starting to slip out of the latest issue of Game Informer, and according to information gleaned from it, you can expect Claptrap is back in some capacity.

According to what Gematsu read, co-op will still be four-player, the four players from the original game are now NPCs with new bodies for players to take over. One of these is the fella shown in the first bit of art released for the game, Salvador, who is a Gunzerker with the ability to use any two weapons at once.

Story missions will by dynamic at times, and can shape the future of your character. One example given was a rescue mission which changes the course of your destiny if you fail to arrive on time.

A new element called Eridium, has been added as both a currency and to be combined with other elements to improve stats on weapons and vehicles. Weapons from the first game have been ditched for all-new weapons, and can have custom decals and enhancements added to them. Gun manufacturers have been revamped a bit, and will now have their own style and personality. No word on gun crafting was mentioned.

Some pickups will have temporary buffs, like in the General Knoxx expansion for Borderlands 1 and the skill tree in is similar to the original by using the traditional 3-branch system.

Vehicles will also contain more variety, and one shown in Game Informer was called the “Badit Technical,” along with another vehicle with four seats.

Enemies are more varied in form with improved AI, more responsiveness and will interact more with one another. Bandits have access to specific types of weapons.

NPCs have also received improvements as far as moving about the game and conversing with characters in a more interactive manner. The size and scope of the game was also promised to be more epic in scale.

We haven’t received ours in the mail just yet, so when we do, we’ll let you know if there is anything else of note in it.

Borderlands 2 is slated for release during 2K’s FY2013

I'll definitely be getting it. I had a blast playing Borderlands with my friends.

The game was so good as it was, but there really is a hell of a lot more they could do. As far as open world games go, the ability to interact with NPCs was downright crude.

kind of boring playing it alone, but an awesome time playing with friends. they couldn't have made a much better diablo 2 + FPS combo. can't wait till this comes out

Here is a link to a teaser trailer on gameinformer (sorry for the link to the reddit threads but I am firewalled from gameinformer and most other gaming sites while at work)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands/comments/jlu5e/meet_the_gunzerker/

Here are some screen shots/concept art

http://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands...orderlands_2_screenshots_released_xpost_from/

here are two of the images from the above link

kmjfc.jpg

6Yook.jpg

And an article about the possibilty of the B2 using the clouds

http://loudmouthedgamers.com/blog/2011/08/14/borderlands-2-the-first-game-to-use-cloud-on-xbox-360/

Borderlands 2 The First Game To Use Cloud On Xbox 360?
Dillon Skiffington on 14 August 2011 in News

In an interview with GameInformer, President and CEO of Gearbox Software Randy Pitchford basically just sat and talked Borderlands 2. But one thing may have slipped over many peoples heads. Towards the end he mentions saving your game on the cloud, something that is not available on the Xbox 360 just yet. Is Borderlands 2 to be one of the first games that will allow this? Microsoft has recently said that you will be able to save your Gamertag and everything associated with it on a cloud in the future and hinted that they would also give you a certain amount of space to do as you wish. As Microsoft slowly starts rolling this out they’ve only talked as far as Arcade Games, nothing solid has been announced on full titles. They haven’t talked any dates yet, but Borderlands gives us a rough idea that this will be sometime within the next year, as soon as April 1, 2012 in fact.

"Borderlands 1 saved your content locally, we’re doing some things we hope on all platforms that allow you to save your content on the cloud so that you never lose content and as long as you can access your account you can be at your friends house or whatever and continue playing with your character. We have some more details to talk about there and some things to work out with that there but its an objective we have."

Wait, so it's going to be even more BLs goodiness with great graphics, and I'm assuming over the top humor. Plus we get cloud saving? Fuck yes.

If Mass Effect wasn't so god damn amazing with it's storytelling, Borderlands would easily be my favorite RPG for the 360.

Wait, so it's going to be even more BLs goodiness with great graphics, and I'm assuming over the top humor. Plus we get cloud saving? Fuck yes.

If Mass Effect wasn't so god damn amazing with it's storytelling, Borderlands would easily be my favorite RPG for the 360.

Did you watch the teaser of the "Gunzerker" class? That will be fun, being able to double fist any weapon type :D

Everything that has come out in the week since they let the cat out of the box (alive) has me waiting for B2 almost as much as I am waiting for Mass Effect 3

Speaking of RPG's I just picked up Alpha Protocol (new for 20$ at gamestop, made by Obsidian) and was surprised by how good it is, they have an interesting take on the Mass Effect style dialogue wheel (timed convo choices) which is where I think the idea for the interrupts in ME2 came from after playing through Alpha.

Did you watch the teaser of the "Gunzerker" class? That will be fun, being able to double fist any weapon type :D

Everything that has come out in the week since they let the cat out of the box (alive) has me waiting for B2 almost as much as I am waiting for Mass Effect 3

Speaking of RPG's I just picked up Alpha Protocol (new for 20$ at gamestop, made by Obsidian) and was surprised by how good it is, they have an interesting take on the Mass Effect style dialogue wheel (timed convo choices) which is where I think the idea for the interrupts in ME2 came from after playing through Alpha.

Alpha Protocol wasn't bad at all. I spent $60 on it new, wasn't impressed at that price. But at $20, I'd be willing to pick it up and go through it again.

This game is looking better and better! Me and a couple of other friends started a new playthrough of Borderlands a couple of weeks ago!

Alpha Protocol wasn't bad at all. I spent $60 on it new, wasn't impressed at that price. But at $20, I'd be willing to pick it up and go through it again.

I would agree 60$ would be a little steep for it as it is a tad to linear for a RPG in some gameplay aspects. Story isn't bad though even on the 2nd playthrough and I would say playing as a recruit is a challange becasue you don't get any starting AP to dish out into skills

Still have part one in the plastic. Haven't had time to play it. Picked it up like 5 months ago...

<iframe src="http://blip.tv/play/AYLPvgsC.html" width="550" height="339" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://a.blip.tv/api.swf#AYLPvgsC" style="display:none"></embed>

this is supposed to be early (subject to be tweaked) gampley footage of Boderlands 2

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/26/pushing-boundaries-gearboxs-burch-talks-borderlands-2/

Fri, Aug 26, 2011 | 17:46 BST

Pushing boundaries: Gearbox on Borderlands 2

Borderlands 2 went properly public at gamescom last week. Johnny Cullen drops impressions of the game and speaks to writer Anthony Burch.

It must be difficult to make the jump from video games journalism to developer.

“It’s bizarre as shit being on the other side, sitting from there to here,” Gearbox staffer, Borderlands 2 writer, and one half of cult web sensation Hey Ash Whatcha Playin’ “Reverend” Anthony Burch tells VG247 a few hours after seeing the sequel in Cologne last week, adding that it’s “fucking weird.”

Burch was still Destructoid’s features editor when the first Borderlands was announced as a realistic shooter in 2007 at E3, but released in 2009 as a cel-shaded RPG shooter. It was a fantastic-looking, solid game that was full of humour. Once predicted “to die” at retail by Michael Pachter, Borderlands in fact out-performed expectations, selling 4 million units since release as of March this year.

The sequel has a lot to live up to, but fans have been clamouring since god knows when. Gearbox’s Mikey Numann told Nathan at the original’s release that a sequel was a “no brainer,” but despite numerous claims that a sequel was inbound – including erroensous excitement generated by a context-free quote from a VG247 interview with Randy Pitchford earlier this year – the world finally got its wish earlier this month. Borderlands 2 was announced for a FY2013 release – we were told in the demo it’s being aimed for 2012.

Inevitably, word got out early. Eurogamer, who had already been blackballed by 2K over a situation with Duke Nukem Forever, had reported that Borderlands 2 was about to be announced the day before the formal confirmation came. Burch admits the studio was disappointed over the report, which was infamously labeled “shoddy journalism” by Gearbox boss Pitchford.

“Having it leaked a day or two before the actual official announcement, I’m like, ‘oh bummer, all we had to do is wait 48 hours and it’d be a big surprise.’ On the other hand, going that long without an actual leak was awesome,” he says.

Borderlands 2 is Burch’s first formal project as a writer at Gearbox. The game takes place five years after the original Borderlands, with Handsome Jack now dictator of Pandora and head of Hyperion Corp. The new boss has also taken credit for events at the end of the first game, and has even blocked out much of Pandora’s light. Your task is to kill him and restore normality.

The demo starts up a third of the way through the game after an encounter with Jack, who has left you for dead in an arctic-like environment. We’re on a mission called Dam Fine Escape, where we have to rescue a friend being held at a bandit camp atop a towering dam.

What we’re seeing is running on PC at 60 fps, and it looks incredible. After facing off with an Arctic Bullymong – incidentally, enemies are actually non-scripted in the game; this is a random encounter – we come across TDRs: “the Walmart of weapons” in the game, according to studio VP Steve Gibson, who was giving the presentation. TDRs are disposable weapons which you can throw towards your enemies to stun them once your ammo is depleted.

The new weapon system is just one of many new developments in Borderlands 2. Gearbox has revamped and replaced everything from Borderlands – in fact, according to Gibson, Gearbox played the game without weapons for six months while it worked on completing the new system.

“The entire weapons system has been overhauled,” says Burch in our interview. “We only showed assault rifles today and even within the assault riffles, there is obviously a crapton of variety.

“It’s going to be the same way with the SMGs and custom shotguns,” he adds, commenting that Gearbox has “combined the new weapons with the new AI” with the result that “the fights are so much more involved and have so much more strategic depth.”

Midway through the mission, we come across another enemy: a Nomad Torturer with a big ass shield. “It’s time for the big guns,” it yells. But it gets better: your enemy has a tiny Nomad on the front of it, squealing out loud in the funniest way you can imagine. You had to see it to to believe it; I personally burst out laughing.

After getting this obstacle out of the way, Gibson goes into detail about the new user interface, and how it will be easier for those who were overwhelmed by the first game’s skill tree. While stat perks in the first Borderlands were just that – lightweight optional extras – the sequel, as well as ramping up with faster, stronger and more numerous perks, will introduce something called game changers, which affect the core principals of how the skill works and the ways you do it. Despite the new feature, Borderlands 2 offers an easier skill tree – those who play shooters only may be in luck here. Gearbox also want the new UI to work well on split-screen.

Oh, yeah – did anyone mention the split-screen online co-op?

“We’ve got a couple of things we’re going to talk about, most of them not right now. We’ve made it so you can take a split-screen game online,” says Burch.

“We’ll be talking more specifics about that stuff going on. But yeah, obviously, co-op is a huge priority for us because Borderlands 1 was so fun with co-op, it’d be ridiculous not to meet that bar.”

But Gearbox’s not just looking to reiterate it’s success – the first game’s co-op problems have been tackled. Playing the first game, chances are you may have run into someone who was three quests ahead or behind, and had to manually select hosts and nominate whose quest line to continue. For Borderlands 2, Gearbox “rewrote the system” according to Gibson, and has now made it much easier to progress together.

Co-op certainly proved a value-add to Borderlands, but it was also through DLC that the life-cycle of the game was extended. So it’s pretty much a safe bet we’ll see Borderlands 2 DLC, right? Burch leaves the possibility open, but is otherwise non-committal at this point.

“It’s always at the back of our heads, but the way we just do production is that once we send the game off for certification then we have a big meeting and go, ‘okay, what do we want to do for DLC?’ So we haven’t actually had any serious talks about it.”

We move onto our mission and help our friend, Roland – one of the four characters returning from the first game – bust out from the bandit camp. One problem: he’s imprisoned in a walking W4R-D3N. Good thing then that we come across a partner that’ll help us try and get him out.

The character that’s been controlled throughout the majority of the demo is Salvador the Gunzerker – the dude from the Game Informer cover – but we come across another character, controlled by a second player, known as Maya the Siren. Maya’s strengths are yet to be detailed, but Salavor can temporarily dual wield.

After fighting and chasing our way through the bandit camp dodging suicidal exploding enemy robots, we’re all of a sudden swept off the dam-top camp and almost certainly falling to our death. But not before Sal gives two middle fingers whilst falling. “He’s dual-wielding, so you know,” says Gibson.

We came away impressed by Borderlands 2. Gearbox has overhauled pretty much everything and the kitchen sink, but kept the humour of the first game intact. It’s early days yet, but don’t be shocked to see this one repeat history and outdo expectations again.

Borderlands 2 launches next year on PC PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."