• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

getting rid of fruit / drain flies

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

jonmchugh

In the Rotation
Reaction score
hey guys, my wife and I moved into our apartment in august and we have noticed that we have been getting a lot of small like fruit flies / nats in the kitchen. the only fruit that we leave on the counter is bananas. we do have some candy in a dish but it's all wrapped up. I have no idea what to do or how to tell where they are coming from. it's rather disgusting. my wife told me today she threw out all of our bread and what not because the flies were in all around them. would stuff for like outside bugs work like "off" and that sort of thing or do I need to find something different. any help would be greatly appreciated. we asked our land lord / maintanence guy if he knew of any ideas but he didn't know. he mentioned something about putting vinegar down the drain? i'll probably stop by home depot or something tomorrow to see if they have any ideas.

I had this issue a few months back when my buddy slid his plate of food under my bed(what?) and forgot about it. Well I found that shit about a month later when fruit flies/gnats were all over my apartment/room. Vinegar works. I set a bowl of it out in my room and that killed the majority of those bastards. Also took a spray bottle and mixed together a solution of vinegar and water to spray them directly as I saw them. I looked like (a black)Clint Eastwood with that bottle on my waist 24/7.

Those fuckers are mad annoying though because they're attracted to the carbon dioxide we breathe out, that's why they always fly in your face and shit.

RCF is jonmchugh's male role model.

hey guys, my wife and I moved into our apartment in august and we have noticed that we have been getting a lot of small like fruit flies / nats in the kitchen. the only fruit that we leave on the counter is bananas. we do have some candy in a dish but it's all wrapped up. I have no idea what to do or how to tell where they are coming from. it's rather disgusting. my wife told me today she threw out all of our bread and what not because the flies were in all around them. would stuff for like outside bugs work like "off" and that sort of thing or do I need to find something different. any help would be greatly appreciated. we asked our land lord / maintanence guy if he knew of any ideas but he didn't know. he mentioned something about putting vinegar down the drain? i'll probably stop by home depot or something tomorrow to see if they have any ideas.

Best thing to do is get a bunch of gecko;s and let them lose in the apartment. You might need to raise the temp in the apartment for them and provide water, but they fruit flies should provide them plenty of food. I expect they kill your fruit fly source with in weeks and they do all the work for you.

Good Luck.

Take a few glasses or bowls and fill them half full with water and put a tea spoon or two of vinager in them, then add in some soap. They are attracted to the vinager and the soap traps them. Make sure you find the source, but this will fix your problem.

a fun way to do it is get a handheld blow dryer and if it has a vacuum option on it, suck those little bastards as they fly around your fruit and take a whiff of the smell of burning fruit flies.

doesn't get rid of them in the long term, but it sure is fun as shit.

First empty your trashcans, close your windows, and throw away your fucking bananas.

Then take a bowl.

Take saran wrap.

Take some fruit.

Take a toothpick.

Put the cut fruit in the bowl.

Put the saran wrap over the bowl.

Poke some holes in the saran wrap with the toothpick.

Flies go in, they don't come out.

This works perfectly, it'll clear a 3-story house of gnats in 4 days, there is no better solution, this thread is done and I win so stfu.

Q-Tip
Suave or other cheap hairspray
Lighter/Matches

Make a flamethrower...

Why do you need the Q-Tip?

The q-tip holds the hairpsray and sustains the flame so you don't have to hold the lighter.

Now the question is are you smart enough to read this?

Put Borax down your drains overnight. We had the same problem in our house last year and that worked perfectly

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."