• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cleveland Indians Offseason News, Notes, and Rumors

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Some Sizemore notes from Buster Olney:

If the Indians let Sizemore walk, many teams would be interested in his services. Specifically, Olney suggests the 29-year-old center fielder would draw interest from teams like the Red Sox, Yankees and Phillies. At times, talent evaluators saw Sizemore’s old explosiveness this year and it wouldn’t be surprising if he became a star player again. He’s not likely to be back with the Indians in 2013, Olney writes.

On Hafner:

Travis Hafner will be back with the Indians next season, GM Chris Antonetti confirmed to Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Hafner is under contract for $13MM next season and Pluto reports that "for a while, there has been a feeling among the Indians string-pullers that if Hafner's production ever dropped low enough, ownership might be willing to eat a part of the contract."

And because some view Cuddyer as a top option:

The Twins recently approached Michael Cuddyer about a contract extension, floating a two-year, $16MM deal, according to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. The conversations didn’t progress from there, as Cuddyer appears to prefer to postpone negotiations until after the season, when he hits free agency.

Might as well call it the Prince Fielder thread

prince_fielder-665.jpg

Some Sizemore notes from Buster Olney:

If the Indians let Sizemore walk, many teams would be interested in his services. Specifically, Olney suggests the 29-year-old center fielder would draw interest from teams like the Red Sox, Yankees and Phillies. At times, talent evaluators saw Sizemore’s old explosiveness this year and it wouldn’t be surprising if he became a star player again. He’s not likely to be back with the Indians in 2013, Olney writes.

On Hafner:

Travis Hafner will be back with the Indians next season, GM Chris Antonetti confirmed to Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Hafner is under contract for $13MM next season and Pluto reports that "for a while, there has been a feeling among the Indians string-pullers that if Hafner's production ever dropped low enough, ownership might be willing to eat a part of the contract."

And because some view Cuddyer as a top option:

The Twins recently approached Michael Cuddyer about a contract extension, floating a two-year, $16MM deal, according to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. The conversations didn’t progress from there, as Cuddyer appears to prefer to postpone negotiations until after the season, when he hits free agency.

I think this article is a few months old. It is before the latest Sizemore injury and surgery. No way do the Yankees, Sox, or any other team want Sizemore for 9m per year now or think he can be the old star he use to be.

Even though the chance of Prince Fielder coming to Cleveland are below 0%

There's a better chance that the entire city of Cleveland grows legs and walks to wherever he really relocates.

I think this article is a few months old. It is before the latest Sizemore injury and surgery. No way do the Yankees, Sox, or any other team want Sizemore for 9m per year now or think he can be the old star he use to be.

It was posted Friday, after Sizemore's surgery. I agree though that the Yankees and red Sox aren't good fits though. Seattle, Arizona, and Washington may be fits. I expect him to be back in Cleveland though, in some way or form.

It was posted Friday, after Sizemore's surgery. I agree though that the Yankees and red Sox aren't good fits though. Seattle, Arizona, and Washington may be fits. I expect him to be back in Cleveland though, in some way or form.

I wonder why he referenced Cuddyer and Minn with saying "after the season?" It's after the season right now. :)

I wonder why he referenced Cuddyer and Minn with saying "after the season?" It's after the season right now. :)

This is his quote:

as Cuddyer appears to prefer to postpone negotiations until after the season, when he hits free agency.

They key is "when he hits free agency". While Minny's season may be over, free agency doesn't start until the postseason is over.

Let's start a rumor.

The Cincinnati Reds are taking calls that inquire about 1B all star Joey Votto. He will be paid 9.5m next year and 17.5m the following year. The year after that he is a FA. So he has two years left on his current contract.

The Indians called the Reds. What could we possibly offer them for Votto?

The Reds are taking calls because they have a stud 1B prospect in the pipeline they want to play 1B next year.

Is there anything we could offer them to peak interest? Votto would look really damn good at 1st over the next two years. :D

Not sure if srs.

Let's start a rumor.

The Cincinnati Reds are taking calls that inquire about 1B all star Joey Votto. He will be paid 9.5m next year and 17.5m the following year. The year after that he is a FA. So he has two years left on his current contract.

The Indians called the Reds. What could we possibly offer them for Votto?

The Reds are taking calls because they have a stud 1B prospect in the pipeline they want to play 1B next year.

Is there anything we could offer them to peak interest? Votto would look really damn good at 1st over the next two years. :D

Any time a stud player goes on the market, I wonder what said player would cost the Indians. I'm guessing the Reds would want the package to start with Kipnis, and they'd probably want 2-3 more top prospects to make the deal. I don't see Votto going anywhere right now...possibly the deadline.

Might as well call it the Prince Fielder thread

prince_fielder-665.jpg

More likely than not Fielder is heading to the Dodgers

he and matt Kemp are friends .he has ben recruiting him to come to LA.

James Loney is probably gone

Any time a stud player goes on the market, I wonder what said player would cost the Indians. I'm guessing the Reds would want the package to start with Kipnis, and they'd probably want 2-3 more top prospects to make the deal. I don't see Votto going anywhere right now...possibly the deadline.

Not worth it unless they get him to agree to an extension before the trade is done, imo. Giving up one of their better young hitters and on top of that a couple more top prospects? Not worth a two year rental, unless, like I said, he signs an extension.

Not worth it unless they get him to agree to an extension before the trade is done, imo. Giving up one of their better young hitters and on top of that a couple more top prospects? Not worth a two year rental, unless, like I said, he signs an extension.

If Kipnis is involved, I don't do the trade even he did sign an extension. I believe Kipnis is going to be that good. Even better than that good. If it's any other players beside Kipnis? Yep. With an extension signed, I surely do it. Votto is damn good.

If Kipnis is involved, I don't do the trade even he did sign an extension. I believe Kipnis is going to be that good. Even better than that good. If it's any other players beside Kipnis? Yep. With an extension signed, I surely do it. Votto is damn good.

Really? Based on the few games we saw of Kipnis? He looked good but please, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Joey Votto is an MVP candidate. You do that trade 50 times out of 10 if Votto signed an extension, not that it means anything since this would never happen.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."