• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Anyone Know How to Save DVR'd Shows to a Computer?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I have Time Warner Cable and a Samsung cable box. The box has been messing up recently, so we need to exchange it for a new one. However, I have some shows/sporting events saved to the DVR that I don't want to lose.

Does anyone know how to save these to a computer? If so, how?

Thanks!:D

im pretty sure only hddvr are capable to transfer to comp

TiVos can do it, unless you are on Time Warner

TiVos can do it, unless you are on Time Warner

I have Time Warner Cable and a Samsung cable box. The box has been messing up recently, so we need to exchange it for a new one. However, I have some shows/sporting events saved to the DVR that I don't want to lose.

Does anyone know how to save these to a computer? If so, how?

Thanks!:D

:chuckles:

I don't know, but don't these DVR systems have hard drives? I'm sure you could take the drive out and copy the data. It might be encrypted but I doubt it.

I dont think it's possible, the information is encrypted. Even if you did figure out a way, the only channels you could transfer would be network stations, all others are definitely encrypted.

I dont think it's possible, the information is encrypted. Even if you did figure out a way, the only channels you could transfer would be network stations, all others are definitely encrypted.

Yeah, and that's a Time Warner specific thing too. Most other providers only encrypt pay channels like HBO and whatnot, whereas Time Warner copy protects everything other than Network shows. Dumb.

If your box has component video out, then you can you can record HD using an Hauppauge HD-PVR. If you don't care if your recordings are HD, then there are a number of other options.

The contents of the HD of a DVR is typically encrypted. The data stream of a particular provider may include clear unencrypted QAM channels that can be recorded with an appropriate tuner card/device. Of course that may not include the channel you wish to record.

I see.. Yea, the video content is apparently encrypted on the second partition using a key related to the individual serial of your STB. Oh well. If it's a Motorola box though, one could look into if it uses a BCM3319 or BCM3318 chip, as those have been cracked wide open and can be JTAG'd. Depends on how far one is willing to go with this...

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."