• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Akron Zips Basketball 2011-2012

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Schedule and Results

11/3 - John Carroll W, 84-62
11/9 - Mississippi State W, 68-58; 1-0
11/12 - Hiram W, 95-65; 2-0
11/18 - at Valparaiso L, 62-59; 2-1
11/19 - Duquesne L, 81-76; 2-2
11/26 - Detroit W, 81-63; 3-2
11/28 - at West Virginia L, 77-56; 3-3
12/4 - at Middle Tennessee L, 77-53; 3-4
12/10 - at Cleveland State L, 69-66; 3-5
12/15 - Arkansas-Pine Bluff W, 87-64; 4-5
12/17 - Florida A&M W, 91-69; 5-5
12/19 - Youngstown State W, 88-62; 6-5
12/21 - North Carolina A&T W, 79-52; 7-5
12/29 - VCU L, 76-75 in OT; 7-6
1/1 - at Marshall W, 67-51; 8-6
1/7 - at Miami (Ohio) W, 65-60; 9-6, 1-0
1/11 - at Bowling Green W, 56-55; 10-6, 2-0
1/14 - Ohio W, 68-63; 11-6, 3-0
1/18 - at Buffalo L, 82-70; 11-7, 3-1
1/21 - Kent State W, 84-75; 12-7, 4-1
1/24 - at Ball State W, 70-58; 13-7, 5-1
1/28 - at Central Michigan W, 74-64; 14-7, 6-1
2/1 - Toledo W, 86-72; 15-7, 7-1
2/4 - Eastern Michigan W, 77-47; 16-7, 8-1
2/8 - at Western Michigan W, 69-66 (OT); 17-7, 9-1
2/11 - Northern Illinois W, 75-51; 18-7, 10-1
2/15 - Miami (Ohio) W, 74-59; 19-7, 11-1
2/18 - at Oral Roberts L, 67-61; 19-8, 11-1
2/22 - Bowling Green W, 79-68; 20-8, 12-1
2/25 - at Ohio L, 85-61; 20-9, 12-2
2/29 - Buffalo L, 74-70; 20-10, 12-3
3/2 - at Kent State W, 61-55; 21-10, 13-3

3/9 - MAC Tournament Semi-Finals vs Kent State W, 78-74; 22-10
3/10 - MAC Tournament Championship vs Ohio L, 64-63; 22-11

3/13 - NIT First Round vs Northwestern L, 76-74; 22-12

My Zips Preview

Coming off another MAC Championship and NCAA Tournament appearance, this year's Zips have set their expectations even higher - they don't want to simply get to the NCAA Tournament, they want to make some noise once there. The Zips are led by center Zeke Marshall, who dominated Kent State in last year's championship game, offering a glimpse of what he has the potential to be. However, Marshall has lacked consistency thus far, as evidenced in his mediocre performance against Notre Dame in the NCAA Tournament. This might be the year he finally puts it all together. He's even getting some national media love:

"This should finally be the year that Marshall, a talented former Top 100 player, emerges as a star. He had a solid sophomore season, averaging 8.5 points, 4.9 boards and 2.6 blocks. But expect him to dominate the MAC this season." - Jeff Goodman, CBS Sports

The Zips will go as far as Marshall takes them this year. With a seven-footer of his potential, he has the ability to take this program to new levels.

Marshall is joined by returning seniors Nikola Cvetinovic and Brett McClanahan. Cvetinovic, or "Serb" as his teammates affectionately call him, turned down offers to play professional basketball in his native Serbia to come back for a final season. Cvetinovic has always been good defensively, but also became an offensive threat last year. Over the offseason he has reportedly developed his mid-range jumper, which would help to make him a more "complete" player. McClanahan is the team's best shooter, especially from beyond the arc. The two seniors will provide great leadership to this squad. Both have played in the MAC Championship game in each of their first three years.

Also returning are point guard Quincy Diggs, Alex Abreu, and forward Josh Egner. Some in the Zips camp quietly believe that Diggs is a star in the making. The 6'6" swingman came up huge in the 2011 MAC Tournament and led the Zips in scoring against Notre Dame in the NCAA Tournament. He can shoot, drive to the hoop, rebound, and play stellar defense. The biggest obstacle for Diggs to overcome is harnessing his emotions - he is a player who can get taken out of his game by opponents. If the Zips have a great 2011-2012 season, Diggs will surely be a large part of it. Abreu broke out last year, breaking the Zips' record for most assists by a freshman. He was also 7th in the MAC in assist-to-turnover ratio. While he was prone to "rookie" mistakes last season, he never lost confidence in his game, and was an integral part in the Zips winning the MAC Tournament. With Steve McNees and Darryl Roberts graduating, Abreu must now step up be the lead floor general. Egner is a local product who is a superb athlete. While he didn't get much playing time last time, he did show glimpses of great potential when he did. With Brett McKnight and Mike Bardo gone, Egner should finally get a chance to show what he can do.

The Zips will also get help from a few new faces. Transfer Chancey Gilliam might end up starting for Akron. He's an excellent athlete and an outstanding scorer. The coaching staff loves his make-up and believes he will be a huge addition to the team. Brian Walsh, another transfer from Xavier, should help provide depth at guard. With Deji Ibatayo injured, Walsh may see increased minutes as the backup point guard. Euclid high school graduate Demetrius Treadwell is somewhat of a man-child. He has great potential, but some have questioned his motivation to be successful. He will certainly be a project for the coaching staff. Nick Harney may be the diamond in the tough of this group. Many in the Zips camp believe the 6'7" forward from Benedictine has the potential to be on an NBA roster one day. He recently dominated an intrasquad scrimmage, certainly leaving the coaching staff salivating at the thought of what he could become. Expectations have to be tempered though, as his skills are raw. It will take time for him to develop, but the sky is the limit for Harney.

Rounding out the roster are Deji Ibatayo, an athletic combo guard with a 6'9" wingspan, Blake Justice, a sharpshooter who is 2nd all-time in Ohio High School history in three pointers made, C.J. Oldham, a 6'5" forward from Solon, Michael Green, a 6'6" redshirt freshman from Dublin, and Kyle Peterson, a 6'4" senior from Naples, Florida.

The Zips are coached by Keith Dambrot, an Akron alumnist. Dambrot has led Akron to the postseason in four straight and five of the last six seasons – participating in the NCAA Tournament in 2009 and 2011, the National Invitation Tournament in 2006 and 2008 and the College Basketball invitational (CBI) in 2010. Akron is the only MAC team to win 20-plus games in each of the last six years – one of only 20 teams in the country to do so – and posted 19 victories in Dambrot's first season (2004-05). The Zips have won at least 23 games in each of the last six seasons – a feat unmatched in program history. Additionally, Akron has competed in the Mid-American Conference Tournament title game in each of the last five years and is just the second league school to have appeared in at least five-straight finals (Miami (Ohio) 1997-2001). In his seven seasons in charge of the program, Akron has amassed a 162-75 (.684) overall record, including an 80-36 mark in MAC play and a 91-15 tally in home games (50-8 in MAC play at home). Those 162 victories are tied for the most by a MAC team and are tied for 29th-best nationally during that seven-season span (Dambrot Information Source: Gozips.com).

Projected Starting Lineup

C-Zeke Marshall
F-Nikola Cvetinovic
F-Quincy Diggs
G-Brett McClanahan
G-Alex Abreu

Predictions

I believe the Zips will start slow, taking time to gel with so many new players. I'm predicting a 22-9 regular season with a #2 seed in the MAC Tournament. I'm also predicting another MAC Tournament championship appearance, with a close win over the Ohio Bobcats. Furthermore, I think this is the year they finally win an NCAA Tournament game, with Zeke Marshall finally jumping onto the national radar for good.

I'm not big on Alex Abreu, he has shown me nothing.

John Carrol game doesn't count.

thread fuckin sucks.

I'm not big on Alex Abreu, he has shown me nothing.

I think he'll be a pretty good point guard. Remember, he was only a freshman last year, but still produced solid numbers and was on the floor quite a bit at the end of games. He's no star, but he's an excellent fit with this team.

I think by the end of the year, Diggs will be the best player. His run in both tournaments last year was incredible stuff.

I'm big on Abner. He's definitely not a scorer, but he is a slick passer, a great defender and super quick.

But as was said, this season goes as far as Marshall takes it. I'd like to see him control his emotions a little better and produce more on the offensive end. No one in the MAC should be able to guard him if he finds his low post game.

I see about 25 wins, a NCAA tournament birth and a first round victory. Then next year, we are on the radar with Marshall.

I think by the end of the year, Diggs will be the best player. His run in both tournaments last year was incredible stuff.

I'm big on Abner. He's definitely not a scorer, but he is a slick passer, a great defender and super quick.

But as was said, this season goes as far as Marshall takes it. I'd like to see him control his emotions a little better and produce more on the offensive end. No one in the MAC should be able to guard him if he finds his low post game.

I see about 25 wins, a NCAA tournament birth and a first round victory. Then next year, we are on the radar with Marshall.

I agree on Diggs. He really took over games towards the end of the season. I think Gilliam will end up being a big part of this year's team as well.

I would take your prediction in a heartbeat...I hope you're right!

I have to say, Akron has played pretty good against Mississippi St. tonight....and finally have some basketball to watch.

The game is on ESPNU.

Akron with a huge win of Mississippi State! I'm excited to see this team play.

Man, THAT was fun!

Kieth Dambrot is SUCH a good coach. For my money, one of the top in the country.

Excellent win for Akron tonight! The most exciting thing to me is that they didn't even play as well as they are capable of. Zeke Marshall is fully capable of dominating the MAC if he can stay out of foul trouble.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."