• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

SOPA and Protect IP

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

staycoolbruh

Stycool
Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JhwuXNv8fJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This bill scares the shit out of me. It will allow companies to censor websites/remove them. They can potentially block many many websites that we regularly use.

The house votes on this bill today! I never thought United States of America would start censoring shit like this!!

So if this passes and Reddit is now blocked, does Chardon still post since he lost the site where he gets everything from?

So if this passes and Reddit is now blocked, does Chardon still post since he lost the site where he gets everything from?

They can potentially take down RCF as well, since it has copyrighted things posted. This bill is plain stupid.

The originator digg.com is still available.

More tyranny from our despicable government. The countries we try to force democracy on are more free than we are.

This country makes me fucking sick anymore. I'm glad the government has time to debate about the merits of censoring the fucking INTERNET of all things when the economy is in the shitter, people are out of homes and jobs, and there's still a fucking war going on in Afghanistan. At least they've got their priorities straight. :rolleyes:

Next thing to go is freedom of speech. Watch out when you speak out against any of the injustices in the world -- it will be blocked by corporate censorship. Our founding fathers would be sick to their stomachs if they could see what this country is becoming.

The good news is, they have indeed suspended until the beginning of the New Year, despite what the video says.

Seriously, if they really want to stop piracy, why don't corporations try to provide better service than the pirates? Illegal music downloads have gone down because of Itunes, spotify and other services which are easy to use and are inexpensive. This will only make things worse. There will always be loopholes, people will try to find ways to defy the law, which has many serious security risks and the amount of money the govt. has to spend to maintain this will be huge. It is just not worth it. The only people the lawmakers are listening to are the lobbyists, they are ignoring the experts and the people. Most of these congressmen admit that they don't know much about the internet.

How do you make laws about something, if you don't know much about the topic? That is plain stupid.

You know, there's a reason I have a rider attached to my renters insurance covering me for lawsuits against Libel, Defamation, and Slandering. And it's why I say the shit I do about companies so freely. This fucking ridiculous bullshit has to stop in this country. So many rights taken away on a daily basis but people are too fucking worried about Jersey Shore and American Idol to pay attention or care.

Wikipedia has blacked themselves out today in protest of SOPA and PIPA. From their website:

Imagine a World Without Free Knowledge

For over a decade, we have spent millions of hours building the largest encyclopedia in human history. Right now, the U.S. Congress is considering legislation that could fatally damage the free and open Internet. For 24 hours, to raise awareness, we are blacking out Wikipedia.

SOPA and PIPA put the burden on website owners to police user-contributed material and call for the unnecessary blocking of entire sites. Small sites won't have sufficient resources to defend themselves. Big media companies may seek to cut off funding sources for their foreign competitors, even if copyright isn't being infringed. Foreign sites will be blacklisted, which means they won't show up in major search engines. SOPA and PIPA build a framework for future restrictions and suppression.

In a world in which politicians regulate the Internet based on the influence of big money, Wikipedia — and sites like it — cannot survive.

Congress says it's trying to protect the rights of copyright owners, but the "cure" that SOPA and PIPA represent is worse than the disease. SOPA and PIPA are not the answer: they will fatally damage the free and open Internet.

Link (if you don't know how to get to Wikipedia...): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

Can somebody give me a synopsis? I've gotten the jist of it by reading through comments, but I'd like to know exactly how this will affect my day-to-day routine. I'm all for getting websites that teach civilians how to make bombs blocked.

Can somebody give me a synopsis? I've gotten the jist of it by reading through comments, but I'd like to know exactly how this will affect my day-to-day routine. I'm all for getting websites that teach civilians how to make bombs blocked.

next week the government will vote on sofa and pipa and if it passes Facebook and twitter and all social media sites would be shut down

By that logic you would in theory support this bill, because you do not believe in the protections of the First Amendment. I, in contrast, firmly believe in the freedom of information. If I or someone else needs/wants to learn how to make a bomb, they should have the ability to obtain said information freely. And quite honestly I have had interest in these kinds of things since I was a child and everything was disseminated over BBS's and Fidonet in the form of ASCII text files. (as have many people who've read the very well circulated old-school Anarchist Cookbook).

The same could be said for information regarding sawing off the barrel of a shotgun, making drugs, picking locks, hacking, or learning how to bump-fire a semi-automatic assault rifle. The government's overreach could censor all of these topics, just as easily as "bomb making."

Anyway, to users concerned, a good application to download (if this passes) is TOR, and learn to use services like OpenDNS.

If this law is indeed implemented, I may consider relocating outside the United States.. :(

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."