• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

I have lost my Semih... [signs in Turkey for next 2+ years]

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

wuck

Hustling on the inside
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All I have to say is: stay healthy! :thumbup:

----
Return to practice of Semih Erden intrigues coach Byron Scott: Cavaliers Insider
Published: Monday, January 02, 2012, 6:44 PM

Mary Schmitt Boyer, The Plain Dealer

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- As far as the Cavaliers are concerned, Semih Erden is a 7-foot question mark.

Since being obtained from the Boston Celtics at the trading deadline about 10 months ago, Erden has played in four games, making one start, and averaging 3.3 points and 2.8 rebounds in 16 minutes a game.

He missed 19 Cavs games last season with a strained right adductor and a sore right heel, then had shoulder surgery. He showed up for training camp with a broken right thumb suffered while playing for his native Turkey over the summer.

So it was good news for the Cavs when Erden returned to practice on Monday at Cleveland Clinic Courts.

"He did the whole practice," Cavs coach Byron Scott said. "He looked OK, a little winded. Obviously he doesn't have the offense down pat, but for the first time out he looked pretty good. He's still got a ways to go."

Though Scott cautioned that there was no timetable for Erden's activation -- he will not be available for Tuesday's game against visiting Charlotte -- it's not completely out of the question that he could be available during the upcoming seven-game, 13-day trip that starts on Wednesday at Toronto.

Looking ahead, Scott figures the Cavs' next practice could be at Portland on Saturday. "We'll evaluate him again then and see how he is," Scott said of Erden.

The coach said right now it's too early to get a good read on the big man.

"He still makes basketball plays when he's out there," Scott said. "He's got a good basketball sense, a good basketball IQ. But he still needs repetition, especially on the offensive end. Five-on-zero is one thing, but five-on-five is totally different. He needs as much five-on-five as he can get right now."

As the only legitimate center on the roster, Erden could be a valuable commodity as a backup to starter Anderson Varejao. Samardo Samuels has been inconsistent in that role, really struggling against New Jersey on Sunday, and Ryan Hollins has played in only one of the first four games.

Scott admitted he's eager to see Erden.

"When we got him, he had a couple of injuries," Scott said. "We tried to get those all taken care of and tried to get him on the floor as healthy as possible but he kind of re-injured some of those things.

"I think we're all pretty anxious to see him at full strength, [when he's] able to get out there and play on the basketball floor just to see what we have."

Re: Semih Erden returns to practice

bunny.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I deleted some off-topic posts (and responses to off-topic posts), but I liked the bunny...

I know that there is not much to say about Semih Erden, but this doesn't need to become a thread about all the other RCF threads.

Just some small, good news to know that he is healthy and practicing with the team.

Last edited:

I don't really see him with a significant role on the team, as long as Samuels plays as he has. The team already has a 10-man rotation. It will take a while and/or an injury for Erden to get meaningful minutes, unless Samuels' good play is just an aberration.

I actually love hearing he is starting to practice again. Hopefully, he can get healthy enough to keep Hollins from any more play time. That would be a good thing.

I don't really see him with a significant role on the team, as long as Samuels plays as he has. The team already has a 10-man rotation. It will take a while and/or an injury for Erden to get meaningful minutes, unless Samuels' good play is just an aberration.

Since Samuels 17 point game in his first bit of playing time, his last two games have been:

5 points, 0 rebounds, 6 fouls, 1 TO in 15 minutes vs. the Pacers.
3 points, 3 rebounds, 5 fouls, 4 TOs in 16 minutes vs. the Nets.

He hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire. That being said, Erden certainly didn't show much at the end of last season, but I wouldn't mind giving him some minutes to see what he can bring to the table.

It might depend on the matchup. Samuels has looked solid a couple times and overmatched against other teams. It would be good to at least see if Erden could be effective in defending someone like Hibbert. I agree that it may take awhile before we see much of Erden (there won't be many practices the whole season), although an injury/etc. could change things. Good to at least have him as an option.

The Cavs need a true center in certain matchups. AV will be overpowered by the Dwight Howards and Andrew Bynums of the league, so 6'8 Sam Sam is REALLY going to struggle. Call Semih the 11th man, moving into the 10 man rotation once Jamison is gone.

I think you will see him because he has size. Just like Ryan Hollins getting the call the first game when everyone knew he still sucked. Erden is supposed to be a post presence, so we will see him. It would be nice to having scoring and Defense covered on the front line. Erden/Tristan AV/Samuels or something like when Jamison goes.

I'm hoping he can at least be better then Hollins at the C spot. Nice to have a center with some heart at least.

The best thing that can be said about Erden coming back is that it means we might not see Hollins again.

Erden did have some decent games last season with Boston but at best he can be a very average backup C. He turns 26 this year and as far as I could find never had big production overseas. He does seem like a player who knows and accepts his role so hopefully he can now stay healthy and we can get a better idea of what he could possibly bring.

Since Samuels 17 point game in his first bit of playing time, his last two games have been:

5 points, 0 rebounds, 6 fouls, 1 TO in 15 minutes vs. the Pacers.
3 points, 3 rebounds, 5 fouls, 4 TOs in 16 minutes vs. the Nets.

He hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire. That being said, Erden certainly didn't show much at the end of last season, but I wouldn't mind giving him some minutes to see what he can bring to the table.

Those stats don't tell the whole story. He has shown something great in every game. Whether it be glimpses of great footwork, heart, or defensive plays. He has more than proven that he deserves continued time for development.

I am just really hoping that Erden proves himself as atleast a backup center that we can live with. Then I would like to see Jamison traded. So hopefully he can continue to play the way he did against New Jersey. Then we could start TT and play Samardo as the backup PF. Could stunt the rebuild slightly, losing Jamisons scoring ability, but atleast we wont have to watch some of those ugly shots he throws up. Also getting TT and Samardo more minutes could be very beneficial, especially if Samardo isn't playing center as frequently.

I'm hoping he can at least be better then Hollins at the C spot. Nice to have a center with some heart at least.
well that;s setting the bar high.

small victories are okay too though i guess

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."