• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

I have lost my Semih... [signs in Turkey for next 2+ years]

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Re: Semih Erden returns to practice

If we could actually keep Semih healthy for a period of time, I think he might show us something and competition is always good. As a bonus, with Andy getting knocked around so much, it might not hurt to just give him some games off from time to time to give him more time to recover. Sometimes playing hurt just leads to worse injuries.

I'm just praying that Erden proves himself, plays soon, and gets Samardo time at PF where he belongs. I want to say give him more minutes but that's not going to be possible if he is averaging one foul every couple of minutes on the floor..

Does anyone have a good assessment of Erden when he was coming over before last year's draft?

Not as recent as you wanted -- he was drafted #60 in the 2008 draft by the Celtics, so no draft profiles after that. He didn't sign with them until 2010.

2004 nbadraft.net

Strengths: Has a great combination of size, speed, agilty, and footwork... Incredibly long body, with a great wingspan ... Plays with tremendous energy, always plays at high level of intensity ... Runs the floor well, and is well suited for an up tempo game ... Has the type of toughness you want in an inside player ... Does not back down from anyone, as witnessed when he held his own facing Tim Duncan which was huge considering he was barely 18 at the time ...

Weaknesses: He's still very young and his game is very raw... Needs time to gain experience and develop better basketball skills ... Must get stronger, work on his offensive game ... Would greatly benefit to add a couple of reliable post moves, and some range to his shot ... He has very good potential but for now he remains a project, but a great prospect nonetheless ...

2007 nbadraft.net

Strengths: Arguably Turkeys top current prospect, Semih Erden offers a long and lean body frame with good athletic skills, long arms and good legs ... He can run the floor very well for a guy his size and has good agility and quickness ... Especially right handed, he also has penetration possibilities to go with decent hands and passing, as well as acceptable body balance ... Even enjoying a good rythm on his outside shot (3 pt range) with a high release, hell have to work hard to make his percentages rise, become confident in himself and gain confidence from teammates to shoot from the perimeter ... Considering his size, ballhandling and dribbling are surely acceptable, and his shotblocking as well due to a good leaping ability and solid timing.

Weaknesses: Most influenced by his often poor mentality are his defense and rebounding ... Although in both aspects his instincts and awareness arent bad, his lack of intensity and concentration dont allow him to be a steady intimidating force in the middle ... Does need some work on his timing when executing rotations and double teaming from help side ... It would also be interesting to see him bulk up and gain more arm strength ... Should also try to impose himself at the low post in half court offense, better developing his post moves.

Outlook: As far as Im concerned, the only person who can prevent Semih from being drafted is Semih Erden. The potential is undeniable, though at this point it appears he's wasting a good amount of his talent. Lets hope hes conscious enough of that and can tap into his outstanding potential.

Scouted: 23/11/2006 & 01/11/2007 FC Barcelona-Fenerbahce lker Istanbul (both dates same match up)

Draftexpress 2008

Still one of the most intriguing young big men on the Old Continent, Semih Erden is turning 22 years old this summer and, even if he’s slowly making some strides, has still yet to blossom into a real force on the court. He just finished his Euroleague season averaging 6.7 points and 4.3 rebounds, in about 20 minutes per game, which is a decent improvement from last season, although barely significant on a per-minute basis.

Just an inch short of seven feet, enjoying a long wingspan, nicely athletic, well-built, Erden shows a very promising physical profile. Meanwhile, in the skill department, he shows a bit of everything, but is far from mastering any particular move, while he hasn’t erased the doubts about his character and ability to stay focused on the game.

The best thing we can say about Erden’s offensive arsenal is that he’s pretty aggressive finishing around the rim, trying to secure his points with dunks, which makes sense since his touch around the basket is a bit inconsistent. He moves around the basket waiting for a defensive rotation that leaves him open on the paint, perhaps combining it with a cut at the right time, he also emerges active setting picks to roll inside, and can nicely run the floor, showing pretty solid hands to work with and always looking to hammer the rim.

Erden also frequently asks for the ball in the low post, but the rawness of his skills here becomes quite visible. He might eventually come up with a great move, but generally speaking he shows improvable footwork and limited ability to net his jump-hooks with either hand (he uses both, although he clearly feels more confident with his right). Still, he shows a willingness to mix it up inside, and doesn’t back away from contact.

Still potentially able to develop into a power forward (although he looks like much more of a center), Erden showcases his perimeter skills very rarely. His spot-up jumper is extremely inconsistent, as he can easily net a mid-range jumper and then air-ball the next attempt. He can also put the ball on the floor and attack his match-up, which had eventually ended up in a few phenomenal highlights (he’s a pretty coordinated guy), but he never showed any continuity and it seems like it’s even a rarer feature lately.

Defensively, he’s not an outstanding player, but neither looks a big liability. He’s quite a mobile big who can defend out of the paint and challenge his match-up’s driving attempts with mild success (providing they are not very quick). Still he looks more comfortable guarding the low post, where he can rely on his length and his body. He can take contact and he doesn’t often buy into fakes, keeping his position nicely. On the other hand, he’s a rather poor team defender, as his defensive rotations are timid and not aggressive enough. He’s neither a great intimidator despite his length, although he eventually can collect a block (he’s averaged almost one per game). Besides, you can sometimes see him looking disinterested in the game, like if it’s a great deal of work for him to react to what’s happening on the court. It also happens in the offensive end, where he sometimes hangs around with apparently no defined purpose.

Anyway, given the potential Erden brings to the table, he’s virtually a lock to be drafted, but his inconsistency will likely prevent him from hitting the first round.

Last edited:

I missed these stories about about backup sus...propects. It's like the Randy Wittman Era is back.

I really liked Semih leading up to the trade deadline, very similar to Omar Asik but a bit more injury prone. If you looked at him when he was with the Celtics, You'd probably be ready to take a few shots at his appearance. He would rock the white t-shirt under the jersey, his hair was stolen from Steve Alford circa 1987, and his facial hair was patchy at best.

What I liked was his rebound rate, which was close to Omar Asik in rebounds per second. He finished hard around the basket and moved well. He seemed banged up, which meant that he probably needed ten more pounds of muscle to bang down low. He reminded me most of Andrew "The Hammer" Declerq.

Nobody is going to nominate The Hammer for an All Star appearance, but you can do worse off the bench. He's a young guy who brings some toughness, effort, and size - which you only miss when you have to watch a guy like Hollins take his place.

Semih Erden

I have read many of the recent threads on this board and I have not read anything about Erden. Is there a chance that he plays this road trip? and does he have a chance to make an impact?

Re: Semih Erden

I have read many of the recent threads on this board and I have not read anything about Erden. Is there a chance that he plays this road trip? and does he have a chance to make an impact?

Let's hope it is sooner rather then later. We could use a steady big with decent length and can rebound (unlike Samardo) and not a train wreck (see Hollins).

Let's hope it is sooner rather then later. We could use a steady big with decent length and can rebound (unlike Samardo) and not a train wreck (see Hollins).
Yeah, but I suspect we shouldn't expect too much at first. It will take him a while to get in a rhythm after being out for such a long time.

Yeah, but I suspect we shouldn't expect too much at first. It will take him a while to get in a rhythm after being out for such a long time.
That's the thing with Erden. I don't expect much because he won't produce anything of note. He'll just get in there and be a legitimate big man defensively and on the boards. He wont overplay his hand and demand touches. Basically the odd basket and solid D is all that is required. He'll be teamed up with Sessions, Gibson, Gee and Thompson so we wont be looking for him to do anything but fill a void.

Hurry up Semih! Couldn't watch last night's game because I was at the orange bowl, but when my phone told me Hollins came in IN THE FIRST QUARTER, I knew it was over already.

From the PD:

----

Erden close: Center Semih Erden (broken thumb) practiced Saturday, and is close to making his season debut. Scott said the Turk could play against Portland on Sunday, but that Tuesday in Utah is a more likely target.

Erden's conditioning level still needs improved and it's why Scott is leaning toward giving him at least one more practice.

somewhere in Portland Ryan Hollins is crying in a corner.

Samuels and Hollins are about to lose their spots in the rotation. Samuels might demand a trade or something. Lol.

So really is this guy any good at all? I have no expectations.

I will admit I am so dissapointed in Hollins. I see so much athletic potential and don't know how he can't rebound or slam it home all the time

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."