• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2012 Offseason: Quarterbacks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

wuck

Hustling on the inside
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Let's try this thread again.

Someone posted earlier how RGIII is thinking of not declaring the draft. Just want to say that he would be crazy not to. But I would advise the LSU and Alabama QBs to stay in school for as long as possible... :chuckles:

Last edited:
Current Roster

2 Colt McCoy
9 Seneca Wallace
1 Thaddeus Lewis

--------------------------------

Free Agents

11 Drew Brees (NO)
4 Matt Flynn (GB)
7 Alex Smith (SF)
7 Kyle Orton (KC)
7 Jason Campbell (OAK)
13 Donovan McNabb (FA)
12 Chris Redman (ATL)
7 Derek Anderson (CAR)
10 Shaun Hill (DET)
4 Drew Stanton (DET)
5 Brady Quinn (DEN)
10 David Garrard (FA)
8 Luke McCown (JAC)
4 Chad Henne (MIA)
11 Sage Rosenfels (MIN)
10 David Carr (NYG)
19 Mark Brunell (NYJ)
4 Kevin O'Connell (NYJ)
8 Kyle Boller (OAK)
6 Vince Young (PHI)
14 Charlie Batch (PIT)
4 Dennis Dixon (PIT)
9 Byron Leftwich (PIT)
6 Charlie Whitehurst (SEA)
11 A.J. Feeley (STL)
4 Josh Johnson (TB)
8 Rex Grossman (WAS)

---------------------------------

Restricted FA

3 Richard Bartel (ARZ)
2 Max Hall (ARZ)
1 Tyler Palko (KC)
3 Brian Hoyer (NE)
3 Chase Daniel (NO)

Possibly Available (Based on roster moves)

14 Peyton Manning (IND)
2 Sam Bradford (STL)
4 John Beck (WAS)
5 Matt Moore (MIA)
7 JP Losman (MIA)
3 Mark Sanchez (NYJ)
R Blaine Gabbert (JAC)
R Christian Ponder (MIN)

Other Trade Prospects

R Ryan Mallet (NE)
2 Mike Kafka (PHI)
9 Tony Romo (DAL)
2 Joe Webb (MIN)
2 Jimmy Clausen (CAR)

[# Denotes current experience]

Draft Prospects

*Andrew Luck 6-4, 235, Stanford
*Robert Griffin III 6-2, 220, Baylor
Ryan Tannehill 6-4, 222, Texas A&M
Nick Foles 6-5, 240, Arizona
Kirk Cousins 6-3, 205, Michigan State
Brandon Weeden 6-4, 220, Oklahoma State
Russell Wilson 5-11, 210, Wisconsin
Case Keenum 6-1, 210, Houston
Kellen Moore 6-0, 190, Boise State
Ryan Lindley 6-4, 210, San Diego St.
*Brock Osweiler 6-8, 240, Arizona State

I would prefer H&H settle the position in FA. Somebody young and with upside. I want them to go into next season with a starter that is not currently on the roster, and I want a possible QB of the future that is not currently on the roster. If it's the same guy, even better.

I'm not as interested in giving up 3 1's for Luck as I was earlier in the year, only because I think Griffin is a viable option and could be on the board @4. If they did give up 3 1's, I'm not going to be happy about it, but I wont bitch either. I'll take my QB and stfu. I'm not interested in giving up much to move for Griffin, if it's garbage, fine. If it's something substantial, screw it. Though I really suspect Luck/Griffin will go 1/2, or 1/3. Maybe just paranoia, but it's logical for the Rams or Vikings to trade a few spots down. After that, I guess it depends on whether Tyler Wilson declares and whether or not we can move down. I know I'm not sold on Tannehill, but I think we need to come away with somebody in the first 2 rounds. If we end up with a guy that needs a year, or can take over half-way through, I want a veteran FA signed also. Not Seneca, not Colt, a savvy vet who can start and pass something on.

What I don't want is for the FO to do nothing at the position. I also don't want H&H to try and sell us on Jason Campbell or Kyle Orton type guys as a long term solution. I also want to know what the organization is doing. If they try and get Matt Flynn and just can't get the deal done, I wanna know about it. I don't care if they say it themselves or leak it out. I don't want silence. I want to know that they are actively trying, even if it's after the fact. Like the Bradford draft day non-deal. When it appears they're not doing anything, I'm not happy. If they can't get it done, fine, but I wanna know they tried.

I am really starting to get Intreaged by tannehill. Perfect fit when you consider who he played for in college the system he ran as well as his height and arm! It will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft and how high or low his stock goes during the evaluation period!

Landry Jones is staying in school I'm pretty sure. And it's crazy that Brunell has been in the league 19 years WOW!

Though I really suspect Luck/Griffin will go 1/2, or 1/3. Maybe just paranoia, but it's logical for the Rams or Vikings to trade a few spots down. After that, I guess it depends on whether Tyler Wilson declares and whether or not we can move down. I know I'm not sold on Tannehill, but I think we need to come away with somebody in the first 2 rounds.

I really don't see the Rams trading down. The most logical teams who would want to trade up would be the Redskins, Dolphins, Vikings and Browns. The Browns would prefer to sit this one out so the most probable team would be the Skins at 6. St Louis has a lot invested in Bradford and they need to either protect him with an elite LT or support him with an Elite WR. If they trade down to 6 or below they will not get either. Kahlil is the best tackle in the draft and it isn't close. He will go either 2 or 3. There are other tackles (2 potentially) that could go in the top 10 but both are far inferior to Kahlil. If they trade down to the Skins and Griffin is off the board, we most likely will take Blackmon leaving St. Louis without the top WR or top Tackle in the draft. I don't see that as a win for them. The only way I see the Rams trading is if they fool us into thinking the trade with Washington is real and we have to move up to 2 in order to get Griffin. At least then they will be assured Blackmon at 4 and will be able to pick up another high pick.

Minnesota I see as the real threat to trade down. Most mock drafts have Minnesota taking Kahlil or Morris Claiborne depending on what St. Louis does at 2. If they were to trade down to 6 they would lose out on Kahlil but Claiborne will most likely be there and will be a better value as most CBs don't go as high as 3 in the draft. All Washington has to do is get 1 pick in front of us to take Griffin so I see that as a real possibility.

According to this draft pick value chart http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php the Browns would have to move...
#4 and #22 to get #2
#4 and #36 to get #3 and #99

Washington would have to move...
#6 and most likely a #1 next year + something this year for #2
#6 and #38 to get #3

That's a lot to move up a spot or 2. I can see Washington being bold enough to commit to whatever is needed to move up. I guess I'm ok moving our 1st and 2nd rounder to move up 1 pick and grab a 4th rounder if Griffin is our long term answer at QB.

To move up to #1 and get Luck it will most certainly take the #6, #22, and the 1st next year to do it. Might take more but who knows.

Hopefully Tyler Wilson comes out because he will be there for Washington and they may be content with him instead of paying the high prices to move up. I don't want any part of Tannehill unless we don't get a QB in he 1st 2 rounds. However; Tannehill won't be there in the 3rd, he will probably see a Christian Ponder type rise and be a mid to high 1st round pick. Nick Foles in the 2nd or 3rd round would be good value. Still I would like to see us take Griffin instead of taking a project or FA pickup.

I also wouldn't rule out the Browns taking a project QB like a Foles or even Brandon Weeden in the 2-3 round and then trading for a guy like Matt Hasselbeck. Not optimal but better than getting a Matt Flynn IMO.

Ahh, a breath of fresh air. Thanks for the clean thread.

Now about this Tannehill guy, I'd be ok with rolling with him on our ATL pick if he's projected to be there. I like that he's been under the Holmgren umbrella of coaches. I think if we put him with some studs at WR and RB (4th and 37th picks), then I could sleep at night.

BTW, this is all predicated on Luck and RG3 being gone at 4. I don't want the Browns moving and shaking this year. We need to come out of this draft with our offensive trio for the build, IMO.

Landry Jones is staying in school I'm pretty sure. And it's crazy that Brunell has been in the league 19 years WOW!

He is in BIG TIME debt from losses in real estate investments he made in Florida. I think two years ago it was reported he owed 5-8 million. I don't think Brunell wants to still play in the league, but he is put in a bad financial position and this is the best way he can pay it back.

Whew, that solves the QB situation! Onto other issues.

I was thinking the same thing. No way Nola risks over paying him and giving him the franchise tag if they cant come to agreement. :chuckles:

I think we have a shot here guys. Hey I knew him in college, I will give him a call and tell him all the virtues of playing in Cleveland. :thumbup:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."