• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Hue Jackson for OC?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Randolphkeys

I'm Just Second-hand Strus
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
After a fairly successful season turning around the Oakland Raiders, Jackson is out. It seems the new GM wants to bring his own guy in. Add him to the list of possible OCs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ckson-fired-head-coach-raiders-192333066.html

The Oakland Raiders, coming off an 8-8 season, will have a new head coach in 2012. Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie, who was hired himself five days ago, fired Hue Jackson on Tuesday.

No Raiders coach since Jon Gruden has lasted more than three seasons, nor had any Raiders coach had an overall record of .500 since then, either ‒ except for Jackson. When Al Davis passed, many thought that the instability at the head-coaching position would be a thing of the past, but I guess we're not there just yet.

This makes two consecutive seasons in which the Raiders have fired a head coach who went 8-8. After the 2010 season, it was Tom Cable, the first Raiders coach to have a record of .500 since 2002. This time, it's Jackson, who lost his starting quarterback in Week 6 and star running back in Week 7.

Ultimately, though, this decision probably isn't about anything that Jackson did right or wrong.

Had the Raiders won 10 games and made the playoffs, it would've been harder to let him go, but this is probably a case of a new general manager simply wanting to have his own guy in charge.

General managers are like that. McKenzie, who is well-qualified after having spent eight years as the Green Bay Packers' director of football operations, doesn't have a lifetime contract on his job, either. He needs to win to stay employed, and he wants to win or lose based on decisions he made and guys he put in place. It's understandable in that sense, even if Jackson seemed to have the Raiders going in the right direction.

Thoughts?

Out of hand, no. Would he really fit in offensively with the organizations philosophy?

Looking into him though, he has done some interesting things.

Washington Redskins
From 2001 until 2002, Jackson spent as Redskins’s running backs coach under Marty Schottenheimer and Steve Spurrier. In 2001, under Jackson’s tutelage, RB Stephen Davis rushed for 1,432 yards, breaking the record he had set in 1999 for most rushing yards in a season by a Redskin.

Cincinnati Bengals
For the next 3 years (2004-06), he was the wide receivers coach at Cincinnati Bengals. Under Jackson’s tutelage in Cincinnati, Chad Ochocinco and T. J. Houshmandzadeh became one of the most prolific wide-receiving tandems in NFL history.

Atlanta Falcons
In 2007, after leaving Cincinnati, Jackson was an NFL offensive coordinator for the second time when he served in that capacity for the Atlanta Falcons under Bobby Petrino and Emmitt Thomas (Interim).
(Catastrophe)

Baltimore Ravens
From 2008 until 2009, Jackson spent as Baltimore’s quarterbacks coach under head coach John Harbaugh. In 2008, Jackson tutored Joe Flacco, who became the first rookie QB to win two playoff games in NFL history as the Ravens advanced to the AFC Championship game. He helped the Ravens advance to the postseason in both seasons.

Oakland Raiders
In 2010, under Jackson’s guidance, the Raiders offense finished fourth in the AFC and sixth in the NFL in scoring (25.6 points per game) also finished fifth in the AFC and 10th in the NFL in total offense (354.6 yards per game) and second in the NFL and AFC in rushing (155.9 yards per game). The Raiders more than doubled their scoring output from the previous year, totaling 410 points. Under Jackson’s offense, RB Darren McFadden finished the season with 1,157 yards rushing on 223 carries for a 5.2 average YPC and 7 rushing touchdowns. McFadden also had 47 receptions for 507 yards and 3 touchdowns. His total numbers were 1,664 total yards and 10 total touchdowns for the 2010 NFL season. Making McFadden the NFL's 5th leader in total yards from scrimmage for the 2010 season.
After the 2010 season Hue Jackson was named Oakland Raiders head coach in 2011, succeeding Tom Cable.[3]
Jackson was fired by the Oakland Raiders on January 10, 2012. He had just completed his first season as the Raiders head coach ending with a record of 8-8 and missing the playoffs, after having a promising start of 7-4.

Aside from Atlanta in 2007, he had a lot of success in this league. I personally thought he helped breathe some life into the Raiders this season after a cloud seemed to hang over the franchise for a full decade.

Loved Coach Jackson, but he went on a power trip after the death of Al Davis.

Maybe, he'll have the Browns send us 2 first rounders for Palmer if he gets the Browns job. :chuckles:

Hue Jackson seems like one of the last people Pat Shurmur would be interested in bringing in to coordinate his offense. Jackson's air-it-out, vertical passing philosophy is antithetical to Shurmur's 3 yard sideline, dink and dunk system.

Not likely...

I think Mike Sherman and Brad Childress are the two most likely candidates considering their ties to the FO, experience and they've been running the WCO for years... Also don't forget the minute but important connection of them sharing Bob LaMonte as an agent..

I also wouldn't be surprised if Whipple gets elevated to OC...

Not likely...

I think Mike Sherman and Brad Childress are the two most likely candidates considering their ties to the FO, experience and they've been running the WCO for years... Also don't forget the minute but important connection of them sharing Bob LaMonte as an agent..

I also wouldn't be surprised if Whipple gets elevated to OC...

None of that is going to lead to much of an improvement with the coaching.

The crappiest part of Hue's situation is that his QB is left behind. I think he got an unfair shake, to be honest. He was on his way to making that team better and I believe next year would have been his chance to get the Raiders back into the playoffs. Too bad that franchise had no succession plan even though Al Davis was the crypt keeper for at least 2 years. Now they blow it up and start over again, just when somebody was breathing life into the organization.

I think he'll get another shot to be a head coach, perhaps even next year.

At the same time, it appeared Mangini was starting to turn things around. Despite the conflict in philosophy, Holmgren kept him for a year, and it bit him in the ass.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."