• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Samardo Samuels: Thoughts Observations and Projections

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Frank Reynolds

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub
Reaction score
RCF Thoughts on Samardo Samuels?

FLSli.jpg

Definitely a very strong guy, thick build made for moving bodies down low.

He seems to have very nimble feet, which is a huge plus for a big guy. I'd even venture to say he might have played soccer at some point in his life, as his lateral quickness seems pretty solid.

He looks to have somewhat of a post game, I have seen him use various spins, drop steps and the like down low. I even remember seeing him with a Hakeem dream shake on a play that kind of caught me off guard.

He is definitely more athletic than you might guess at first glance. A lot of times he dunks the ball and he appears to get up pretty quickly.

He seems to have pretty good hands when going up for rebounds or receiving the entry pass.

And lastly he even has shown a little bit of an outside J. His jumper is really quick like big baby Davis, but he has been shooting it from a little too far out lately for my taste.

Glen Davis seems like a good side-by side, a lot of times looking at them they both have a similar build (Davis might be thicker and stronger) but Samardo is definitely more athletic and I'd venture to say he has the higher upside.

Sound Off

RCF Thoughts on Samardo Samuels?

FLSli.jpg

Definitely a very strong guy, thick build made for moving bodies down low.

He seems to have very nimble feet, which is a huge plus for a big guy. I'd even venture to say he might have played soccer at some point in his life, as his lateral quickness seems pretty solid.

He looks to have somewhat of a post game, I have seen him use various spins, drop steps and the like down low. I even remember seeing him with a Hakeem dream shake on a play that kind of caught me off guard.

He is definitely more athletic than you might guess at first glance. A lot of times he dunks the ball and he appears to get up pretty quickly.

He seems to have pretty good hands when going up for rebounds or receiving the entry pass.

And lastly he even has shown a little bit of an outside J. His jumper is really quick like big baby Davis, but he has been shooting it from a little too far out lately for my taste.

Glen Davis seems like a good side-by side, a lot of times looking at them they both have a similar build (Davis might be thicker and stronger) but Samardo is definitely more athletic and I'd venture to say he has the higher upside.

Sound Off

The guy needs to lose about 10-20 lbs of fat and put on 10-20 lbs of muscle and work on his D and attitude.

Glen Davis is a big fat pussy. If he's gonna be a Glen Davis, then I hope we don't invest too much time into him.

Samardo was one of the top recruited guys out of high school...

...there's a reason why he hasn't done much since then, and I'm guessing none of it has to do with his athleticism and/or potential skill level.

Coach Scott said it best he will have a great game followed by 4-5 bad games. Consistency would be nice.
Limiting fouls and getting more rebounds while playing solid D will get him more minutes.

I think Samardo has played quite well in most of his opportunities. He looks like he slimmed down quite a bit from last year to me. He is a way more explosive player than Big Baby. His upside is likely higher than that.

Is Sullinger all that much better than him--and if you think so, can you explain why you think that?

Samuels couldn't ask for a better chance to get playing time and develop as a young player than what he has in Cleveland. He just needs to take advantage of it, during the season and the off-season. I think his lack of height will put constraints on what he can ultimately offer, but it seems like he has the potential to contribute to the team now and possibly into the future.

He needs to grab the opportunity.

I did a quick check, in games that he played more than 15 minutes (which is just 5 times this year), he is shooting 62% and is averaging 9.2 pts, 3.6 boards .6 assists, .4 blocks, .4 steals, 3.4 fouls, and 2.4 turnovers.

So that tells us he is doing pretty good at scoring, but he is not rebounding all that well for a PF. He also is fouling a LOT and his turnovers are very high. I think he does do a great job at sliding over and taking charges. He is young, if he can work on a few things, I think he can develop into a pretty good off the bench big for us.

Maxiel staying employed for as long as he has tells me Samardo will make a nice little living for himself in this league.

Samardo will become a serviceable role player some day, I just think it's just a matter of mentally getting there.

Maxiel? Traylor? Milsap?

It all depends on Samardo's drive to get in shape, grab every rebound he can, and improve his game.

Glen Davis is a big fat pussy. If he's gonna be a Glen Davis, then I hope we don't invest too much time into him.

Samardo was one of the top recruited guys out of high school...

...there's a reason why he hasn't done much since then, and I'm guessing none of it has to do with his athleticism and/or potential skill level.

Geeze Who, you need to back off the caffiene...

Big Baby has been a serviceable player, and if Samardo's ceiling was similar, then we stole him undrafted.

I think people who see him play compare his physical game to Big Baby, and perhaps Zach Randolph would be another one. I am a bit puzzled by the "lack of size" comment since he is exactly the same size as Randolph. He has lately been hitting that 12-15 foot jumper, and sometimes he gets a lot of foul calls and other times he gets called. In particular he has games where every move is a charge/turnover.

I see it as learning. He is a young guy, played only one year of college ball. But he has the physical tools to be pretty good. Sometimes he says stuff which makes you just shake your head, but I don't think he is a bad atitude guy, like Randolph used to be.

Samuels defense is has improved significantly. He is strong in the paint and his defensive awareness has picked up big time. He has also been developing an intimidation factor in just 47 nba games. Consistency is his achilles heel right now

Samardo is a beast, he has soft hands and displays a nice touch more often than not. To me, his biggest hurdles seem like concentration and consistency.

Samardo often seems afraid to make a mistake. I hope Jamison is let go soon so both Samardo and Tristan can have consistent minutes regardless if they make a few mistakes.

Wasted talent.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."